Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ShinAli posted:

Been waiting for Threadripper to upgrade my machine so I'm queuing up all the parts I'm going to buy, but I need a sanity check on memory because I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm looking at the motherboards and they're all saying they support up to DDR4-3600; can I just get any brand of DDR4-3600? Do I need to get 4 sticks in order to get it to clock at 3600? I heard some brands of memory were getting issues to clock right with Ryzen.

My original build of a 1600X with an ASRock Fatal1ty B350 board and Corsair DDR4-2400 16GB RAM kept underclocking to 2133 even with BIOS updates.

Swapped out the Corsair RAM for some sweet delicious Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 CL15 16GB RAM and everything was 100% peachy. Then the motherboard died. So now I've been on an ASUS Prime B350-Plus and no RAM issues, stability issues or anything of that sort for a month and a half. Personally, I'd go with Kingston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ShinAli posted:

can I just get any brand of DDR4-3600? Do I need to get 4 sticks in order to get it to clock at 3600? I heard some brands of memory were getting issues to clock right with Ryzen.
There is no RAM guaranteed to work at 3600 with Zen at all right now. The best you could do are those Single Rank GSkill Flare X kits that are rated for 3200 and try your luck OC'ing them to 3600. Its not impossible but its not easy so don't go expecting to hit 3600.

Really though given how well Zen performs with properly tuned 3400 RAM you might be better off adjusting your goals. And if you "only" can get 3200 stable I wouldn't get too upset either. That still provides a nice benefit over 2133 or 2400 DDR4 on Zen.

This post by AMD on RAM overclocking for Zen is pretty informative and useful, not sure if you've seen it or not but just in case:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/07/14/memory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

e: woops didn't know Geil had their AMD specific kits out too now, they're not common yet but they are out there now and somewhat cheaper than GSkill's kits which is nice. Apparently they're supposed to eventually have a 3466 capable kit out but I don't see it in stock anywhere yet

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 4, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ShinAli posted:

Been waiting for Threadripper to upgrade my machine so I'm queuing up all the parts I'm going to buy, but I need a sanity check on memory because I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm looking at the motherboards and they're all saying they support up to DDR4-3600; can I just get any brand of DDR4-3600? Do I need to get 4 sticks in order to get it to clock at 3600? I heard some brands of memory were getting issues to clock right with Ryzen.

The ram you are looking for is Samsung B-die memory for RAM that is the most stable and fastest for zen right now, so you are going to have to pay a premium for that memory. G/skill does offer some good b-die memory so check them out.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ShinAli posted:

Check the mobo's QVL, that is the only way to know. And no, you don't need 4 sticks, technically you could use one, but I would go with at least two for dual channel memory, or four if you can for quad channel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ShinAli posted:

Understand that up until this point, all memory has bascially been tuned for Intel and Intel only, because AMD hasn't had a product worth optimizing for.

That said, memory manufacturers are starting to cook up memory kits that are tuned for Ryzen. GeIL immediately comes to mind and G.Skill has Flare X and FORTIS lines dedicated to memory for Ryzen.

I don't know of anyone else who is doing AMD-tuned kits at this time.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 4, 2017

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Thanks for all the input, guys!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Amd rep on ocau just confirmed a question i had about XFR on TR

"All 3 Threadripper CPUs will boost to 4.0Ghz on 4 cores and XFR is 4.2Ghz"

Urrgggghhhhh the hype builds

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Things looking good for Pinnacle Ridge and 2018 then.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Boost is four cores on the whole package? Two cores per die? One per CCX?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Combat Pretzel posted:

Boost is four cores on the whole package? Two cores per die? One per CCX?

2 cores per die, since half of the ccx are dummies for chip rigidity.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ShinAli posted:

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Here's the top ten confirmed via CPU-Z https://rymem.vraith.com/basic/top10

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wargames posted:

2 cores per die, since half of the ccx dies are dummies for chip rigidity.

Fixed. One die has two 4-core CCXes. TR has two real dies and two dummy dies.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
That Geil RAM looks so ugly and weird. Why did they give it such tall heat spreaders it almost looks like SODIMMs?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So take it off

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinestro posted:

That Geil RAM looks so ugly and weird. Why did they give it such tall heat spreaders it almost looks like SODIMMs?

Same reason cold remedy boxes don't all just say "Runny nose treatment: contains (w/e active ingredient 0.4%)." I mean, it would be cheaper to have a white box with black ink saying just those things, but that box won't stand out and grab your attention among the 50 other choices containing the same ingredient on that row.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sinestro posted:

Enthusiast RAM has been ridiculous looking for a long time, pointless heatspreaders were on the RAM I was using in 2000.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Oh, I know why there's heatspreaders that do nothing in the first place, I'm just confused by why they look so terrible and not even in an :pcgaming: way.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I found a old ram stick with heat spreaders on it and decided to take them off for curiosity sake and one of the chips came off on the thermal pad.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I need that RGB on my RAM, i need RGB cases and chairs... i need RGB veins god admmit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sadly blood is just R.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

All of the RGBs... ALL OF THEM... and put them in a Thermaltake View 28 RGB case...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

priznat posted:

Sadly blood is just R.

Actually you could make your arteries red and your veins blue itd be great make it happen G.Skill

My vascular system is augmented.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
How long before we get CPUs that use tiny little LEDs instead of transistors? Billions of them, all in your computer where you can't see them. But they're there. :aaa:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

isndl posted:

How long before we get CPUs that use tiny little LEDs instead of transistors? Billions of them, all in your computer where you can't see them. But they're there. :aaa:

http://www.megaprocessor.com/

nerox
May 20, 2001
I put so many LEDs on the sides of my case, that I can technically use it as my monitor. -Corsair in 2 years, probably.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

isndl posted:

They've been talking about that kind of stuff for decades. I would expect to see the motherboard IO busses move to some kind of optical traces to overcome capacitance and cross-talk issues before the insides of an IC though

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Phoronix has released a test suite that can reliably reproduce the Ryzen GCC crash bug within minutes both on stock configurations and with both SMT turned off and the memory down-clocked to 2133 MHz. Unfortunately AMD isn't giving them Threadripper or Epyc samples so there's no word yet if they also suffer from this bug.

eames
May 9, 2009

I suspect Threadripper (B1 "stepping") will suffer from the same problem and Epyc will have the fix (B2 stepping)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

nerox posted:

I put so many LEDs on the sides of my case, that I can technically use it as my monitor. -Corsair in 2 years, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5d7ynJXiZc&t=270s

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

I suspect Threadripper (B1 "stepping") will suffer from the same problem and Epyc will have the fix (B2 stepping)
Since the suite is available now, others can test. Question is whether they will or not, out of fear of stepping onto AMD PRs toes and prospect of future freebies.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Don Lapre posted:

So take it off

But then the heat will get all clumped up. I hate it when things don't spread properly

TomR posted:

I found a old ram stick with heat spreaders on it and decided to take them off for curiosity sake and one of the chips came off on the thermal pad.

You have to should use floss or thread to cut the thermal compound/pads/whatever

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

But then the heat will get all clumped up. I hate it when things don't spread properly

I replaced some garish heatspreaders with some plain jane copper models and it looks pretty nice to me. Similar clearance to bare sticks and still gives you a bit of aesthetics.

eames
May 9, 2009

current EU top charts of CPU interest (not sales). how times change... :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm holding off on buying a 1700 now that we know that whatever Zen stepping Threadripper is on can in fact surpass 4.0 GHz. Hopefully it'll trickle down to the 1750 or whatever's up next.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

inkwell posted:

I replaced some garish heatspreaders with some plain jane copper models and it looks pretty nice to me. Similar clearance to bare sticks and still gives you a bit of aesthetics.

I have, too. That's how I know you can't just lever the dang things off :rip:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

I'm holding off on buying a 1700 now that we know that whatever Zen stepping Threadripper is on can in fact surpass 4.0 GHz. Hopefully it'll trickle down to the 1750 or whatever's up next.

Same, was going to get a 1600 but I'll wait for the 1650 or 2600 if it means 4.2 to 4.5Ghz clocks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well I just realized that AMD's Zen 2 sweet spot CPU will be called the 2600 :piss:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

FaustianQ posted:

Same, was going to get a 1600 but I'll wait for the 1650 or 2600 if it means 4.2 to 4.5Ghz clocks.

Don't forget better (more mature) chipsets and BIOSes too. Maybe they get the memory dependence not so drastic too.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Hahaha, apparently Coffee Lake is not 1151 or at the very least incompatible with 170 and 270 boards. Like, despite being theoretically more powerful it's real advantage over AMD's offerings was going to be dropping it into pre-existing boards and retaining customers but now you'll need to invest in a new motherboard as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Hmmm there seems to be a shortage of fast RAM over here in Croatia; the supply is spotty at best and you have to preorder your sticks if you want anything faster than 2400mhz. I bet this has something to do with Ryzens selling like hotcakes.

e: in theory you could get 16 gigs of 3600mhz RAM for around $300. The sticks are listed as "in stock" on the website but when I went to the physical store they told me that these sticks are sold out - ie they list them as available just to lure people into their brick and mortar store. Well I ain't buying a R7 system just to put 2400mhz RAM into it, even though my aging FX system already has a serious hernia thing.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 5, 2017