Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wicaeed posted:

Don't see how running the memory at it's advertised speeds (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16) counts as "overclocking" but I'll try anything at this point =\

Edit: And from what I recall this problem actually existed out of the box, which is why I started tweaking the defaults to see if it was some unoptimized default setting that was causing this

All DDR4 runs at 2133 or whatever speed. When you buy RAM that is rated for 3200 or 3600, the RAM chips have been selected because they are capable of running at that speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

Don't see how running the memory at it's advertised speeds (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16) counts as "overclocking" but I'll try anything at this point =\

Edit: And from what I recall this problem actually existed out of the box, which is why I started tweaking the defaults to see if it was some unoptimized default setting that was causing this

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2C3200C16#tab-tech-specs

quote:

Tested Latency 16-18-18-36
Tested Voltage 1.35V
Tested Speed 3200MHz
LED Lighting RGB
Single Zone / Multi-Zone Lighting Individually Addressable
SPD Latency 15-15-15-36
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.2V

This is a JEDEC 2133MHz 1.2V 15-15-15-36 module that they “tested” at 3200MHz 1.35V 16-18-18-36. Presumably it passed that test. What CPU, chipset and mother board memory layout was that tested with? Does it match yours?

I agree that if it’s a problem at advertised specs you should return it. However at JEDEC specs it should be bulletproof so you can rule out everything but memory settings if it works at those JEDEC settings.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do not want to give the impression that this is a widespread / common issue, but did Zen 2 have anything even close to having this kind of USB disconnection issue that we keep hearing about on the Zen 3?

I didn't have any USB connectivity issues on Zen 2. I upgraded to the 5900X and I've been losing my keyboard's connection 2 - 3 times per day. I lose the mouse occasionally as well.

In Maya (the 3d software) if I set the viewport mode as DirectX 11 instead of OpenGL, I lose my keyboard within a few seconds of creating a cube or panning around the viewport. However I don't have any issues with OpenGL.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Wicaeed posted:

Don't see how running the memory at it's advertised speeds (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16) counts as "overclocking"

Several people have already covered this, but I want to use this statement as a generalized jumping-off point to talk about troubleshooting, generally, and troubleshooting Ryzen issues, specifically.

When you have a really freaky problem -- especially intermittent ones, like what you're dealing with (for fun, they're sometimes called Heisenbugs) it can sometimes be useful to shift your strategy. Instead of the usual approach of "change/remove one thing and see if it eliminates the problem", it can be much faster to remove every piece of the system you possibly can, and set everything to defaults. Then you add components back and change settings one at a time, until the problem does occur.

And that's the spirit behind people telling you to drop your RAM speeds to the lowest setting your mobo supports. There are a lot of observed instances (both on the internet at large, and here in this thread) of too-fast RAM settings causing ghostly behavior in Ryzen systems, all the way back to the 1000 series chips. I won't get into the details, because there seem to be a lot of facets to it, and what ends up being "too fast" is dependent on a lot of things. But long story short: slowing down RAM has resolved many issues, in mostly-stable systems, for a lot of people. So slowing memory down as much as possible in one go is suggesting that you take a shortcut to figuring out if memory is contributing to your problem or not.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Tried a few more things (BIOS update, resetting BIOS all the way back to default), no change.

I moved my 2080ti down to the second PCI-E slot on the Mobo and it's been rock stable ever since.

Going to give it a few days to see if this cures things, then move it back. Not sure if that's an indication of a bad mobo or something, but at least it's been more stable now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Wicaeed posted:

Tried a few more things (BIOS update, resetting BIOS all the way back to default), no change.

I moved my 2080ti down to the second PCI-E slot on the Mobo and it's been rock stable ever since.

Going to give it a few days to see if this cures things, then move it back. Not sure if that's an indication of a bad mobo or something, but at least it's been more stable now.

Wondering if maybe the GPU wasn't seated 100% (at an angle) and by moving it it's well seated now. That'd definitely have some bad behaviours if it was tilted etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know how you could have have it not be seated properly but not end up destroying it when you put the heatsink on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how you could have have it not be seated properly but not end up destroying it when you put the heatsink on.

GPU not CPU. I have seen cards that weren’t secured work themselves out/tilt up if they are end heavy. This can cause sporadic issues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh whoops, stupid letters look too similar.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Cojawfee posted:

Tbf I managed this a few months back, the cpu wasn't seated correctly but the cooler went on fine, I think the wraith prism bracket isn't the best.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Having followed this thread for a few years(?) and looking to go AMD for my next upgrade; if I don't care about 5% or 2-5 fps increases in performance - should I really care about XMP or just go for bog standard 2666 MT/s RAM to avoid possible problems?

Coming from an i5-4440 anything would be an improvement anyway, right?

Right now comparable 6-8 core Intel 9 and 10 series offerings are 30% cheaper, somehow, though I want to be stupid and go team Red since I care more about multi-core performance and power draw than anything else...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You might START with the RAM at lower settings, then is the system proves stable for a few weeks turn on xmp. If you lose stability you can then lower it back or start tweaking.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

F4rt5 posted:

Having followed this thread for a few years(?) and looking to go AMD for my next upgrade; if I don't care about 5% or 2-5 fps increases in performance - should I really care about XMP or just go for bog standard 2666 MT/s RAM to avoid possible problems?

Coming from an i5-4440 anything would be an improvement anyway, right?

Right now comparable 6-8 core Intel 9 and 10 series offerings are 30% cheaper, somehow, though I want to be stupid and go team Red since I care more about multi-core performance and power draw than anything else...

I've had zero problems running XMP on my X570. If you're concerned setting manual timings should get you at or above those speeds anyway. I should add I was careful to get a RAM kit approved for my motherboard right from the get-go, as much of a pain in the rear end as that process is.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/ExecuFix/status/1365981401808580614

Supposedly Zen4 CCDs are staying at 8 cores, so thats a lotta dies and a lotta heat. 400w in that small a space gonna be somethin to cool...

500GB/s memory bandwidth :aaa:

Sadly you will need at least 24 DIMMs for a two socket server.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

F4rt5 posted:

The nominal price gap narrows when you consider cooling solutions and motherboards - AM4 motherboards tend to be less expensive, and lower-end AMD processors come with coolers. Most people opt to replace the stock cooler, but you don't NEED to other than for noise and quality of life reasons.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

500GB/s memory bandwidth :aaa:

I want to see what that kind of bandwidth does to integrated graphics.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seamonster posted:

I want to see what that kind of bandwidth does to integrated graphics.

At the current rate of growth in iGPU bandwidth, you will find out in approximately 25 years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

double post because TR Pro is now heading to retail, meaning here comes the retail WRX80 motherboards

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-ws-wrx80e-sage-se-wifi/p/N82E16813119391

:sweatdrop:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gat :drat: :eyepop:

Are there custom hsfs for beefy normally double height gpus that would allow you stack up 7 on that :getin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

Gat :drat: :eyepop:

Are there custom hsfs for beefy normally double height gpus that would allow you stack up 7 on that :getin:

if you want to do all seven you have to go to waterblocks with a 7-way manifold

looks like there's two PCIe aux connectors on the bottom edge to help feed the slots as well

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

imagine how satisfying it would be to plug a solid brick of 7 GPUs in all at once

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Turn them sumbitches sideways and just let gravity plonk them seated

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hmmm

1 x 3995WX - 280w, lets round up to 300w
7 x 3090 - 350w each, lets round up to 400w
8 x DIMM - 4w each, lets round up to 5w
1x Wacky ASUS Board with X550 10gig network n poo poo - uh, 150w? Really dunno. gently caress it lets say 200w and include everything else

Giving us: 3,340 watts

Uh, Seasonic makin 3,500 watt gamer power supplies yet? I have seen 3k units in servers though. They are not what I would call "sane" in the noise department.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

You can fit at least 2 PSUs in an O11 Dynamic XL, and Seasonic has 1,600w units now. Close, but still not enough, might have to sacrifice a 3090 or run an under clock and pray.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

hmmm

1 x 3995WX - 280w, lets round up to 300w
7 x 3090 - 350w each, lets round up to 400w
8 x DIMM - 4w each, lets round up to 5w
1x Wacky ASUS Board with X550 10gig network n poo poo - uh, 150w? Really dunno. gently caress it lets say 200w and include everything else

Giving us: 3,340 watts

Uh, Seasonic makin 3,500 watt gamer power supplies yet? I have seen 3k units in servers though. They are not what I would call "sane" in the noise department.

Those won’t work on normal US household outlets. A pair of 1600W supplies on separate breakers would be the only way to do it unless someone makes a NEMA 5-30 PSU.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Those won’t work on normal US household outlets. A pair of 1600W supplies on separate breakers would be the only way to do it unless someone makes a NEMA 5-30 PSU.

The rest of the world was so right in doubling voltage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Combination fast charger for your car/gaming PC plugin

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Is ASRock unusually slow with their BIOS updates? I'm somewhat annoyed that they haven't had a BIOS update for their B550 mobos since early Dec (and that was to 1.1.0.0; not even the major 1.1.8.0 update that other mobo manufacturers were putting out).
So update on this, last week ASRock finally dropped some updates for 5 of their B550 boards (they have 15), and then apparently peaced out.

Still waiting.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 4, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

hobbesmaster posted:

What, you don't have a dedicated 50A/220V outlet that you hardwire your PC into? Amateur.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SourKraut posted:

What, you don't have a dedicated 50A/220V outlet that you hardwire your PC into? Amateur.

LOL if your posting station doesn't have its own dedicated diesel generator, just LOL.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CaptainSarcastic posted:

LOL if your posting station doesn't have its own dedicated diesel generator, just LOL.

I'm Cummins so hard at the thought of this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SourKraut posted:

I'm Cummins so hard at the thought of this.

Think DifferentTM

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I've got a 415v/32A three phase outlet in my basement as this house used to have an elevator and I'm imagining a three phase PSU to run a 7way setup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

I've got a 415v/32A three phase outlet in my basement as this house used to have an elevator and I'm imagining a three phase PSU to run a 7way setup

I understand every word in this sentence and it’s more baffling than if I didn’t.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wheelchair access? I used to know someone with an elevator in their house for that reason.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

BurritoJustice posted:

I don't want to derail thread, but could you tell us more about this? Like, how many stories is your house? What is in the space where the elevator used to be? Did you find this by accident? I don't know why, but I fuckin' LOVE stories of homeowners finding poo poo they didn't know their house had behind like, a layer of drywall.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I don't want to derail thread, but could you tell us more about this? Like, how many stories is your house? What is in the space where the elevator used to be? Did you find this by accident? I don't know why, but I fuckin' LOVE stories of homeowners finding poo poo they didn't know their house had behind like, a layer of drywall.

Only two storeys. The previous owner lived here for a few decades before he passed, we purchased it from his daughter. At some point it was removed when that part of the house was renovated. There is now an empty rectangle of space in the middle of the stairwell, the stairs go around the elevator column that no longer exists. I don't know why it was removed, could've been regulatory compliance for sale or due to maintenance costs

The elevator allowed you to go through the garage which is level and get to the first floor.

We had no idea before purchasing it and only noticed the power line under the house after a year or so. The previous owner had some large machine tools (now removed), so it was also run to a janky workshop area literally dug into the ground under half the house (it's on a slope) and we found it in there.

I don't pay to have it connected to it's just a random novelty. I'd imagine it was expensive to install.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 4, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Wheelchair access? I used to know someone with an elevator in their house for that reason.

Wheelchair lifts don't need 3phase power.

BurritoJustice posted:

Only two storeys. The previous owner lived here for a few decades before he passed, we purchased it from his daughter. At some point it was removed when that part of the house was renovated. There is now an empty rectangle of space in the middle of the stairwell, the stairs go around the elevator column that no longer exists. I don't know why it was removed, could've been regulatory compliance for sale or due to maintenance costs

The elevator allowed you to go through the garage which is level and get to the first floor.

We had no idea before purchasing it and only noticed the power line under the house after a year or so. The previous owner had some large machine tools (now removed), so it was also run to a janky workshop area literally dug into the ground under half the house (it's on a slope) and we found it in there.

I don't pay to have it connected to it's just a random novelty. I'd imagine it was expensive to install.

This only raises more questions! You probably don't have answers to them though :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You do realize that you very likely have a batcave hidden somewhere under your house right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My 3700x decided to commit suicide yesterday. It had been rock stable since I built it last July and then decided to start spitting Windows WHEA-Logger event 19 into the events, and then locking up a few minutes after starting a video. Prime 95 blend test would crash it in about 30 seconds to a minute. I tried clocking my memory/fabric down to 1866 from 3000 (3200 RAM) and it still crashed. Tried turning off SMT and VT. Same near-insta crash.

I put in a RMA.

What the gently caress AMD?