Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When you're GPU bottlenecked on Ryzen, RAM speed won't matter that much, but if you're CPU bottlenecked, then RAM speed can seriously shift the bottleneck back to the GPU.

IIRC the numbers testing Deus Ex Mankind Divided on an R7 1700 with a GTX 1080 had LegitReviews (I think it was them) at 95 FPS with 2133 and 110 FPS at 3200 when testing at 1920x1080, but they were GPU bottlenecked at 2560x1440.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So I I'm pairing the 1600 with a 1070, so go for the good ram?
Edit: at 1440

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NomNomNom posted:

I just bought a 1600, I ordered 2133 ram before looking at performance impact, someone tell me how screwed I am and if so what I should get instead.

MSI B350 GAMING PRO motherboard

Return the ram

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

NomNomNom posted:

So I I'm pairing the 1600 with a 1070, so go for the good ram?
Edit: at 1440
If you're gaming at 1440p then you'll be GPU limited nearly always for any newer game.

Its only at 1080p you run into some CPU significant bottlenecking with DDR4-2133. You don't actually need DDR4-3200 to address this for the most part either. DDR4-2933/3000 can get you most of the gains that DDR4-3200 will and runs around $130-ish for 16GB of it going by newegg while 16GB of DDR4-2133 goes for around $120-ish.

A ~$10 price difference is worth it. You'll probably have to do a little finangling of course to get it work at those speeds with Ryzen but unless you're after the lowest possible timings for each setting this isn't all that hard to do.

FWIW I used some DDR4-3000 that was meant for Intel X99 and X100 platforms and it worked fine at DDR4-2933 with the XMP settings in the BIOS after bumping up the DRAM volts to 1.4 and increasing the SoC volts to ~1.1. Took a few minutes to do those changes in the BIOS and to reboot and its been fine for months now. Some reported they had to switch to T2 command rates to get it to work at those speeds with Ryzen but that still isn't all that bad for non-B die stuff. A few have gotten it to work at DDR4-3200 but don't buy it expecting that.

It was this stuff here I used. Not worth buying right now if you're on a tight budget since the price went up to $150 for 16GB but it was $132 when I bought it a few months ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD stated that TR had glass spacers to physically support the package, Der8auer murdered a threadripper and it apparently turns out there's 4 full dies there. Now AMD has retreated to "well 2 of them are broken dies", but someone made an interesting comment: remember how Epyc is on a new stepping? It kinda looks like TR is actually a straight-up Epyc engineering sample, and they found some faults and decided to move Epyc to a new stepping instead.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 17, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Super weird.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, when you think about it, glass and dead CPU dies are basically the same thing, both being made from SiO2 as raw materials and all.

I'm betting a marketing drone Telephoned something in their head from something an engineer said.

Probably what the engineer said was that these dies were completely dead-dead, as in, not "fused-off-so-you-might-be-able-to-do-shenanigans-like-go-from-Phenom II-X4-to-X6-dead", and that they might as well be glass, and then the marketing drone went "right, glass."

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 17, 2017

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're gaming at 1440p then you'll be GPU limited nearly always for any newer game.

Its only at 1080p you run into some CPU significant bottlenecking with DDR4-2133. You don't actually need DDR4-3200 to address this for the most part either. DDR4-2933/3000 can get you most of the gains that DDR4-3200 will and runs around $130-ish for 16GB of it going by newegg while 16GB of DDR4-2133 goes for around $120-ish.

A ~$10 price difference is worth it. You'll probably have to do a little finangling of course to get it work at those speeds with Ryzen but unless you're after the lowest possible timings for each setting this isn't all that hard to do.

FWIW I used some DDR4-3000 that was meant for Intel X99 and X100 platforms and it worked fine at DDR4-2933 with the XMP settings in the BIOS after bumping up the DRAM volts to 1.4 and increasing the SoC volts to ~1.1. Took a few minutes to do those changes in the BIOS and to reboot and its been fine for months now. Some reported they had to switch to T2 command rates to get it to work at those speeds with Ryzen but that still isn't all that bad for non-B die stuff. A few have gotten it to work at DDR4-3200 but don't buy it expecting that.

It was this stuff here I used. Not worth buying right now if you're on a tight budget since the price went up to $150 for 16GB but it was $132 when I bought it a few months ago.

Thanks, I was looking at that exact RAM, ordered. I'll let you guys know in a few days how it all turns out

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a new Ryzen bios out that seems to be aimed at improving memory compatibility.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A ~$10 price difference is worth it.

what no it isn't. (or i misread and thought you meant saving 10 bux would be worth it." (edit: he didn't*. drat.)

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 18, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The whole segfault thing has got people tracking datecodes and there's one thing that I don't think has been noticed yet: AMD is producing the B1 and B2 steppings in parallel. Why?

The assumption was that AMD was just burning off their stock of B1 dies and that Ryzen would eventually switch to B2 when they exhausted their supply of B1. But that doesn't seem to be happening. Is there a reason they are producing B1 and B2 in parallel instead of going to fully B2 stepping?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The whole segfault thing has got people tracking datecodes and there's one thing that I don't think has been noticed yet: AMD is producing the B1 and B2 steppings in parallel. Why?

The assumption was that AMD was just burning off their stock of B1 dies and that Ryzen would eventually switch to B2 when they exhausted their supply of B1. But that doesn't seem to be happening. Is there a reason they are producing B1 and B2 in parallel instead of going to fully B2 stepping?

Possible issues with the fabs, with only a limited amount able to produce the more flawless B2 compared to B1? And that the expense to retool to B2 spec is mitigated by the incoming (14nm+) retool to a better process anyway?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
remember how epyc has mirrored dies?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If Epyc has both stereoisomers wouldn't they need to have both, otherwise two of the dies would be broken?

Plausible though, I hadn't thought about that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://techreport.com/news/32558/rumor-amd-raven-ridge-apu-scores-appear-on-geekbench

Look! It's the NewFatMike signal!

Finally, we're one step closer to that HSA future that AMD has been promising us for close to a decade now!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

In every game-like test, the Ryzen 7 2700U posts double or more the performance of the Bristol Ridge chip. That's despite the fact that the two processors have similar scores in the "ALU 2" GPU compute test.

:piss: Construction cores have been holding back the iGPU since forever, there is no way to make that kind of generational leap otherwise, not from what we've at all seen from Vega.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I want to believe so bad.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

can't wait for a bastardized 4-6 core version of one of those to show up in the PS5 and Xbone Z

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

can't wait for a bastardized 4-6 core version of one of those to show up in the PS5 and Xbone Z

Consoles wouldn't go back from the 8 cores they have now. At the very least the Xbox Aleph-4 is going to keep an 8 core minimum cuz Microsoft is all about the backwards compatibility stuff. And then Sony would be hard pressed to keep parity with a 4-6 core variant of the same hardware.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well... now that AMD has come back to the land of sanity and re-embraced SMT, I'm thinking a 4c/8t or 6c/12t part would still be a net step up. Remember: Construction cores may have been polished to a mirror sheen, but they are still garbage.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 19, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Like, let me reiterate, double the performance of Bristol Ridge A12-9800E (about on par with desktop A8-9600) is mindblowing. TechEpiphany has a playlist of a A8-9600 running a variety of games. Based on a quick run through, even demanding modern games would run on Low, 1080p60 for Raven Ridge, you might get away with medium on some less demanding ones and older games should run fluently. That's also not even the highest end SKU AMD will be offering, it's the midrange one.

I think the biggest issue will remain though, and that's the occasional stutter and screen tearing, so a quality Freesync implementation would be a must.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well... now that AMD has come back to the land of sanity and re-embraced SMT, I'm thinking a 4c/8t or 6c/12t part would still be a net step up. Remember: Construction cores may have been polished to a mirror sheen, but they are still garbage.

Yeah but the games and especially the emulation packages for 360 titles rely on having 8 full cores (or rather 6 or 7 exclusive cores with the main system holding a core for its own) to work against, and trying to shove that into hyperthreading is unlikely to work out too well for that.

If you're OK with breaking compatibility then sure you could do a faster system on your computer 4c/8t, but the compatibility issue would make it a no go for MS.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I came as quick as I could. 💦

Just some of the stuff that's cropping up around the net is the bench reports clocks at boot, so expecting much higher results based on clocks is probably misguided.

That said, hopefully some of my suspicions about Vega (designed for mobile hence weird bottlenecks) hold true, and that we'll be able to get an enterprise grade laptop with 1080p30+ performance, Freesync 2, and have a number pad.

And really goosing the voltage in a SFF case might be my favorite :science: for a little while, especially since dGPUs are so drat pricey these days.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

an enterprise grade laptop with ... a number pad.

Oh poo poo you're one of "those people"

Just get a USB numpad for those rare occasions you actually need it and don't poo poo up your keyboard with that crap

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 19, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh poo poo you're one of "those people"

Just get a USB numpad for those rare occasions you actually need it and don't poo poo up your keyboard with that crap

I mean, on a 15" it doesn't require much space and that's kinda my preferred form factor. The numpad is so good for 3D modeling and that's kinda "the thing" I need my computer to do.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

I mean, on a 15" it doesn't require much space and that's kinda my preferred form factor. The numpad is so good for 3D modeling and that's kinda "the thing" I need my computer to do.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A coalition forms! There are at least TWO people in this niche!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just put together the following:

Ryzen 1600
MSI B350M Mortar (not my first choice, but basically 1 of 2 MATX boards out there with SPDIF - come on board makers step it up!)
G.Skill 3200mhz CAS 14 RAM (whatever the cheapest was)

Build came together nicely, though I haven't worked on a CPU with pins in a while (probably not since my old Phenom II X2!) so stress-free tasks like spreading the TIM made me nervous to bend a pin.

Everything booted on the first shot, so I installed Windows. The install was ridiculously fast, maybe 10 minutes or so. I loaded some updates and grabbed the newest BIOS for the motherboard.

Flashing that went well too - the stock BIOS was from March and didn't detect XMPP for the RAM properly. The new BIOS from late July found the correct profile so I dialed it in, booted up and ran 30 mins of Prime95 without any errors. Later today I'll try my hand at overclocking.

Some observations:

1) Ryzen is crazy fast. I was worried because the 3770k that I was replacing technically has better single-thread performance, but Ryzen feels quite a lot snappier. It isn't just a placebo because I did a clean install of Win 10 on the 3770k about a month ago. Ryzen feels faster at stock speeds than the 3770k felt overclocked to 4.4ghz.

2) Ryzen runs insanely cool. I have a Corsair H80i V2 that used to keep the 3770k at 40C idle / 85C at worst under Prime95. At stock clocks the Ryzen idles at 31C and hit 51C at worst on Prime95. I'm eager to see how far I can push it on stock-ish volts!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 19, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I bent a few pins installing my Ryzen 3, despite taking quite a bit of care doing so. Not sure when it happened, easy enough to fix with a scalpel though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bobfather posted:

Build came together nicely, though I haven't worked on a CPU with pins in a while (probably not since my old Phenom II X2!) so stress-free tasks like spreading the TIM made me nervous to bend a pin.

It's possible - likely, even - that I'm a dipshit who does stupid wrong stuff but if I have to apply thermal compound to a CPU with pins I do it when it's clamped in the socket.

quote:

The install was ridiculously fast, maybe 10 minutes or so.

I know right? Remember when that'd take over an hour? Mine was USB3 to NVMe and finished copying while I was downstairs grabbing a beer. Couldn't have been more than five minutes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

It's possible - likely, even - that I'm a dipshit who does stupid wrong stuff but if I have to apply thermal compound to a CPU with pins I do it when it's clamped in the socket.

I think people forgot how to apply TIM to PGA CPUs, but that was the only way I've ever done it or heard of doing it going back to the mid 90s.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I want to know if anyone applies paste while it's not in the socket.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I want to know if anyone applies paste while it's not in the socket.

Ok, that's what it meant. I was really, really confused. I'm still confused.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

It is literally inconceivable to me, a fellow frittata, that anyone would apply thermal compound to a CPU that is not firmly in its home.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I apply TIM to a CPU not in the socket.

But I also don't just put a rice-sized blob of TIM in the middle of the heatspreader and hope the heatsink will spread the TIM for me.

My steps to applying TIM:

1. Remove CPU from socket
2. Clean old TIM with a lint-free cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol
3. Apply rice-sized (or for Ryzen more like pea size) blob of TIM onto middle of heatspreader
4. Use a plastic spreader (I like to use old credit cards) to spread an even layer across the entire heatspreader
5. Install in socket, install heatsink

Edit: the only reason I do it this way is that I don't trust the heatsink to spread the TIM for me. If anyone can convince me this is a fallacy and my thinking is wrong, I'd have no trouble switching to just putting a blob of TIM on a socketed CPU.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bobfather posted:

I apply TIM to a CPU not in the socket.

But I also don't just put a rice-sized blob of TIM in the middle of the heatspreader and hope the heatsink will spread the TIM for me.

My steps to applying TIM:

1. Remove CPU from socket
2. Clean old TIM with a lint-free cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol
3. Apply rice-sized (or for Ryzen more like pea size) blob of TIM onto middle of heatspreader
4. Use a plastic spreader (I like to use old credit cards) to spread an even layer across the entire heatspreader
5. Install in socket, install heatsink

Edit: the only reason I do it this way is that I don't trust the heatsink to spread the TIM for me. If anyone can convince me this is a fallacy and my thinking is wrong, I'd have no trouble switching to just putting a blob of TIM on a socketed CPU.

Why don't you try the heatsink spreading method on a chip, let it do a few hot/cold cycles, and then take the heatsink off and look at the paste

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
According to https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/ the X shape is the best CPU paste spreading method. But always with the CPU in the socket.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Volguus posted:

According to https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/ the X shape is the best CPU paste spreading method. But always with the CPU in the socket.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volguus posted:

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Booyah the smooth spread is close to the best, with the best (X) being something insane that nobody has ever really recommended ever.

Out of curiosity, what are the justifications for applying paste while in the socket? I can see a few immediate advantages:

1. No risk of bent pins (not applicable to any Intel made in the last 10 years)
2. No risk of dropping the processor

I can also see some limitations:

1. Small cases are tough to work in
2. No ability to get a nice smooth layer (somewhat obviated by the fact that the X shape seems to work so well)
3. Most TIM is semi-conductive, so getting it on motherboard surfaces can be harmful if you don't realize you've made the mess