Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FaustianQ posted:

This should save a lot in the mobile space, right? Cheaper boards, easier thermal solutions.

I don't think notebook chipsets are notable thermal concerns, at least in my Precision 7510 the chipset isn't cooled at all. It's literally just a bare die sitting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I was expecting 25w, but 15w is trolling the gently caress out of Intel with sick donuts in the parking lot

Its 9w-25w configurable TDP, just like Intel does with the up ratings. The big difference between the 15w-25w is the max turbo frequency for the CPU and GPU, according to the AnandTech article. Of the announced notebooks, apparently only the Acer Swift 3 is using the 25w, the rest using the 15w.

Will really be interesting to see reviews for actual products. The ideapad 720S would be a good comparison product, since its the same chassis/screen for both a Ryzen Mobile and a Kaby Lake version (although not Kaby Lake Refresh)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Looking over some of the other slides.... Lenovo still doesn't loving get it, is hamstringing their own product by going single-channel, as usual.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Also AMD needs to not just call the GPU "Vega", ffs. Like, we've been over this AMD your naming conventions for iGPU are confusing and unhelpful! Just loving call it RM (Radeon Mobile) 540, 530, 520, etc. Or if this is also on the cusp of the 600 series, continue to troll Intel by calling them the 650, 640, 630, etc.

Just calling it Vega is dumb.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They probably did some marketing research and found Vega still sounds cooler so it gets more interest rather than Radeon Mobile or some such would.

Stupid? Sure. But that is marketing for you.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vega means more to me than a random combo of letters and numbers tbh. GPU naming is especially worthless/bad.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Except it gives no specifics about it's actual performance whatsoever. Lmao at confused customers regarding Vega in the 2300U, 2500U, 2700U, eventual 35-45W versions and then 65W desktop versions.

They're not even going with Vega 10, 8 or 6 which at least signifies number of compute units.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't forget they JUST announced some new Radeon 500 thing. We need an :amdrtg:.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

Except it gives no specifics about it's actual performance whatsoever. Lmao at confused customers regarding Vega in the 2300U, 2500U, 2700U, eventual 35-45W versions and then 65W desktop versions.

They're not even going with Vega 10, 8 or 6 which at least signifies number of compute units.

I don't get the problem? They already have model numbers isn't that enough to distinguish between them just like it is for the CPU part?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

Except it gives no specifics about it's actual performance whatsoever. Lmao at confused customers
True but everyone has been pulling that BS stunt for years now with confusing model names that don't tell you a actual thing about performance or features. Particularly on the low end.

Not saying that makes it right. Just that its become the de facto "normal" and venting about it is kinda hopeless at this point. You gotta save your capital M Mad rage energy for the important stuff otherwise you'll burn out.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Measly Twerp posted:

I don't get the problem? They already have model numbers isn't that enough to distinguish between them just like it is for the CPU part?

How many computes units are in an A10-7700K vs an A10-7800, and an A8-7670K.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FaustianQ posted:

Sure but wouldnt the better solution be calling the onboard graphics Vega (the arch) 10 (the number of CUs), just like they do on the AIB side, as opposed to like Radeon R7 Mobile Pro 540 or whatever other trash

I doubt AMD will just call it Vega 10, because it shows how limited onboard graphics are in premium mobile products, but still. Seems the most logical name to me.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you without looking it up. They don't need to explicitly specify everything about the CPU as part of the model number, so why would they need to specify that you're getting X amount of GPU compute units?

As an enthusiast I definitely don't need that information to be there as I can just look it up, if I was a consumer I wouldn't be able to use that information anyway other than in general sense that Vega 10 is greater than Vega X "so it must be better" which also applies to the current model numbers. What do we gain by them being so specific? What do they gain?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I guess I'm not really arguing for a particularly naming scheme on way or another, but rather that they pick one that's consistent, informative and makes sense.

Basically I don't want AMD to continue with the R7/R5/R3 iGPU nonsense nor devolve into Intel's "HD Graphics" bullshit either, where "HD Graphics" means either 4EU, 6EUs, 10EU, 12EU or 16EU and Celeron/Pentium processor naming is such a dumpster fire you can't even pick out generation to even begin making sense of it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looking over some of the other slides.... Lenovo still doesn't loving get it, is hamstringing their own product by going single-channel, as usual.

Apparently (or, going by the anandtech article) the deal with OEMs constantly doing the single channel ram on laptops thing is (It's by no means an AMD only thing btw), selling notebooks with the ability to upgrade the ram via only buying one chip/popping it in is a serious market requirement. And since 4 slot boards are reserved for gaming machines/workstations which always come with dual channel anyhow, that means just shipping with only one slot populated.

That, and on the laptops where it always shows up, single channel isn't bad enough for users to really notice.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Also AMD needs to not just call the GPU "Vega", ffs. Like, we've been over this AMD your naming conventions for iGPU are confusing and unhelpful! Just loving call it RM (Radeon Mobile) 540, 530, 520, etc. Or if this is also on the cusp of the 600 series, continue to troll Intel by calling them the 650, 640, 630, etc.

Just calling it Vega is dumb.

AMD's Ryzen Mobile slides refer to "Vega 10 Processor Graphics" and "Vega 8 Processor Graphics" so we'll probably see those names as part of the literature/marketing materials once the chips start to ship. Fits with Vega 56/Vega 64.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Gwaihir posted:

Apparently (or, going by the anandtech article) the deal with OEMs constantly doing the single channel ram on laptops thing is (It's by no means an AMD only thing btw), selling notebooks with the ability to upgrade the ram via only buying one chip/popping it in is a serious market requirement. And since 4 slot boards are reserved for gaming machines/workstations which always come with dual channel anyhow, that means just shipping with only one slot populated.

That, and on the laptops where it always shows up, single channel isn't bad enough for users to really notice.

Yeah, I think this would be a lot better if they just improved the messaging. I'm delighted by the idea of buying a system which has 1x8 already and I can just pay aftermarket price on the remaining 1x8 to get dual-channel 16GB. I don't want to buy a system which can never get dual-channel though, and if I see "single-channel" next to RAM with no other explanation then I might assume that it's actually permanently disabled like Carrizo-L instead of just not the shipping configuration.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if something with soldered RAM is shipped single channel, or (the stupidest loving option) a single soDIMM slot, then it's time to really get mad at dumbass OEMs.
I didn't know there were systems out there that actually got sold with two slots for ram on ostensibly dual channel platforms that actually hard disabled it though.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
99% of people will never upgrade their laptop so it's a loss of performance for nearly all users.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The other problem is that no OEM is going to ship a Raven Ridge part with anything faster than 2400 MHz memory, even though everyone knows at this point that faster memory will yield outsize gains.

I expect to see gobs of 2133 MHz memory clocks and my heart will break a little bit every time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The other problem is that no OEM is going to ship a Raven Ridge part with anything faster than 2400 MHz memory, even though everyone knows at this point that faster memory will yield outsize gains.

If 2400 is the fastest supported I don't see any OEM shipping anything faster

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK what the gently caress is this:

quote:

Sulfur compounds in the air can penetrate tiny onboard resistors creating chemical change and causing these resistors to open or short. If either of these occurs the motherboard will fail to function. By equipping resistors with an Anti-Sulfur Design GIGABYTE gives Ultra Durable Motherboards a whole new meaning.

I have never heard of this type of hype thing. Holy poo poo.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/X399-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10#kf

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

redeyes posted:

OK what the gently caress is this:

I have never heard of this type of hype thing. Holy poo poo.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/X399-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10#kf

So does everyone who wants to stay in business as a resistor manufacturer, but we're back to selling snake oil in America so why not add the bullet point and maybe dupe a few people into buying your bone-stripped third revision motherboard.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Protect your resistors against contamination from a high-sulfur environment - perfect for farty nerds

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They are chinese after all, their aqi is probably in the millions
Sulfur probably is a real concern

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

taqueso posted:

Protect your resistors against contamination from a high-sulfur environment - perfect for farty nerds

I'll probably get one of these since I never open my windows because I like to steep in the smell of rotten egg. It means that people avoid me in public and I never have to talk to anyone.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hmm perfect for my bunker oil burning generator powered wanking station

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Malcolm XML posted:

hmm perfect for my bunker oil burning generator powered wanking station

I can only masturbate if I know it's harming polar bears.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Missed opportunity to Doom brand the motherboard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of DOOM.

This, hopefully, is not what goes into the next generation of consoles.

I don't know how much more I can deal with consoles still not being able to do 1080p60, despite claiming so.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of DOOM.

I don't know how much more I can deal with consoles still not being able to do 1080p60, despite claiming so.

Let me know when they allow mouse control on them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of DOOM.

I jumped from 1280x1024 to 2560x1600 and I don't understand how people can still stand such low resolutions.. especially if it doesn't even run at 60fps. Of course the price of a console is like 1/3-1/4 of a good gaming pc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

http://bgr.com/2017/09/04/xbox-one-games-keyboard-mouse-support-release-date/

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of DOOM.

Xbox One X can certainly do that for patched games, and the PS4 Pro does it for a lot too.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of DOOM.

the new forza does a locked 4k60 on xbonex, and while that's not strictly a representative title it's plenty powerful enough to do 1080p60 in most games afaik. ps4 pro gpu is roughly equivalent in perf to a gtx970 which is still a solid 1080p60 card. architectural improvements and cost savings down the line would make it a sincere shock if the true next gen of consoles couldn't do 1080p60. it's not really a question of the hardware capability anymore as much as what framerate/res the devs will choose to optimize for. i'm kind of skeptical of 4k being pushed so hard when increasing the framerate provides such an immeasurably better experience

Ihmemies posted:

I jumped from 1280x1024 to 2560x1600 and I don't understand how people can still stand such low resolutions.. especially if it doesn't even run at 60fps. Of course the price of a console is like 1/3-1/4 of a good gaming pc.

it's much harder to tell when you're sitting on the sofa 6-10 feet away from the tv versus when you have a monitor right in front of you. i have a 1440p monitor and could pretty reliably tell you when something's not native res, but i'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my (32inch, pretty much appropriately sized for the room it's in) tv

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 29, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

redeyes posted:

I don't even play games on console. I just want "the human eye can't see faster than 24 fps" to die, is that too much to ask? :shrug:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

http://bgr.com/2017/09/04/xbox-one-games-keyboard-mouse-support-release-date/

Xbox One X can certainly do that for patched games, and the PS4 Pro does it for a lot too.

Huh. How about that. I might actually get to play a console game after all these years. I could never bring myself to use a controller to play anything FPS on consoles.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't even play games on console. I just want "the human eye can't see faster than 24 fps" to die, is that too much to ask? :shrug:

I wish everyone demanded 240hz monitors instead of looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell them the jump from 144>240 is as noticeable as the jump from 60>144.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm not saying I think you're crazy.... but I think a blind A-B experiment should be set up with multiple pairs of identical monitors running at different maximum refresh rates should be done to prove your assertion.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can barely hit 60fps on a 4k monitor.. sometimes. :( 240hz is so so far away for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I wish everyone demanded 240hz monitors instead of looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell them the jump from 144>240 is as noticeable as the jump from 60>144.

i'm sorry but that's loving mental