Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's not that surprising that AMD has trouble building a compiler that outperforms LLVM; LLVM has decent code generation, Ryzen's scheduling requirements can't be that different from Core's or they'd suck wind on existing software, and AMD doesn't afaik have a serious compiler team.

What's surprising is that they'd build a wet fart of a compiler and then actually release it. Why bother? How do they gain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boiled Water posted:

Weird strategy to release the mid tier first.

Works for NVIDIA with GPUs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boiled Water posted:

Ah yes the mid tier card the Titan Z, X, XP.

They release their middle cards first, then later release the x50, Ti, Titan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So if AMD can only build good architectures when Jim Keller is around, what's their plan for after Zen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

It's two months, I highly doubt drivers aren't "ready" at this point.

I was getting drops of drivers with "critical fixes" (including follow-up email to make sure we'd deployed it to all the test/demo machines) 3 weeks before Fiji street date.

They also likely locked the demo config a fair while before the demo date. Nobody gets to check in anything meaningful to the demo branch the week before Lisa goes on stage.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 31, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

So drivers used in demo like this aren't even likely good, rather "stable".

Well, they believe they show off the product well enough to put the CEO in front of it, so that tells you something.

They're very likely not the drivers that will be available on day 1 of the glorious Vega future. Whether they are now ready, or will be then, or will be ever, is more philosophical than technical.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wargames posted:

This was the hope with zen smaller dies on an interposer for mondo yields.

I have an ex-AMD friend who says that yield-friendly design was one of the priorities for Zen. Grain of salt, but he's damned smart and worked on Zen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ufarn posted:

Ah, that's great to hear. Puts the ball in devs' court.

That's a lovely place for a ball to be on this stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have literally owned an entire (terrible) laptop smaller than that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The other thing is that people infer quality from price. If something is 10% cheaper it's a good deal. If it's 30% cheaper it's a lower-tier product.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Intel needs to be careful to not piss off the customers who've been buying at $2K per. "You could have sold this to me at $750? WTF?" is a tough sales context for future conversations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Presumably AMD is doing the iGP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, ICC is good at extracting performance from Intel chips. But that's real performance that you would have in real-world usage. It's AMD's responsibility to push patches into LLVM or GCC or write their own compiler if they think they're leaving performance on the table.

Didn't AMD release a compiler that sucked?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

It was basically just LLVM with some patches.

LLVM with some patches could probably be pretty good, given the right patches, but no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

At unspecified scale, it seems so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is not true in all cases. Sometimes the OS can be totally frozen and the keyboard lights will cycle correctly.

No, because the OS signals the light change. If no part of the OS code is executing, the lights don't change. Sometimes big pieces can be locked, though, and have that portion still function.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

mouse frozen, keyboard lights work, os doesn't respond. Machine is frozen.

You'll need to explain to me what is triggering the light change then, if not the handler in the OS that's executing on time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Munkeymon posted:

Holy crap - I'd have given up and bought spray paint after a week or so

Velvet curtains, gold rod, maybe a little valance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

I hear wallpaper is back in.

That could be fabulous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wargames posted:

It doesn't need to, remember AM4 is suppose to be supported for 5 years.

What does "supported" mean? Warranty? BIOS updates? Some of their chips will use it? All of their chips will use it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are you running?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, OK.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AMD needs to acquire Tesla to get Keller back and land a design win for their AI ambitions. Leverage, baby.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rastor posted:

Jim Keller is a ronin, when AMD needs him again he will be there.

From mutual friends, I've heard that Tesla is paying him much, much more than AMD or Apple did.

If they want a solid Zen 3/4, the last 15 years' history suggests that they need him back ASAP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

Has it always been platfrom discussion in the title?

Relatively recent I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

"PCIe" is a registered trademark? wat?

http://pcisig.com/sites/default/files/newsroom_attachments/Trademark_and_Logo_Usage_Guidelines_updated_112206.pdf

Pretty much all standards are trademarked. That's how they control compatibility claims.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How is it even possible that it won't be streamed? What are they thinking?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It might be capped at 144, so Intel *could* have a big lead. That said, :murder:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kernel work is much less tightly coupled than game engine work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Consistent (but not universal) with my small number of observations, which is surprising because you'd think that low pay and lovely working conditions would attract the best.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does that graph show values for prices less than the MSRP of the cards?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don't torque-shame.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Chromium (really Blink) embedding APIs are much richer than those for Edge, which are basically enough for a help viewer and not an application. There's a reason nobody has done the work to rehost Electron on top of Edge, and it's not because nobody has whined about using 0.2% of the disk.

I expect that the Westminster-hosted app will be totally new code, and much less capable. (Like all WinRT ports of popular applications.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WinRT apps based on HTML/JS have much reduced capability compared to non-RT apps based on Blink. Just as with web-tech apps trying to build on top of Edge.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scheduling in the delay slots of PA-RISC was annoying, at least in assembly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I remember Intel sending dev support people to my work in the late 90s to tell us to change x<<4 to x*=16 all over our code so it would run faster, because of some architectural change in P4. Ridiculous in several ways, but that's Netburst for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

IPv6 addresses have 16 bytes / 8 half-words (32-bit) though.

128 bits.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's what I said. The 32-bit was to indicate half of which word width.

Ah, ok. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Looks like 8700K undercuts on price ($40 CAD cheaper with it at launch pricing), and is only 13% slower on perfectly parallel cinebench while 21% faster on single-threaded. Apparently someone has a 5.2GHz OC on a delidded 8700K, which should be another 20% (minus what Ryzen can get from OC, but that’s not much by my understanding). Maybe that was an early lottery win, I guess.

Even if that’s a wash, is the Ryzen honeymoon over? Maybe in mid-spectrum with the 1600X they’re still solid? It’s a much stronger performance from Intel than I expected, tbh.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/257006-intels-core-i7-8700k-reviewed-six-core-chip-punches-far-weight-class

E: actually, looks like the 8700K OC situation might be overstated above.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 5, 2017