Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

WhyteRyce posted:

No the best was when you realize you forgot to bend back some random tab that some rear end in a top hat put on the shield for some reason and now you have a piece of metal blocking your Ethernet port and now you start debating whether it's worth taking put the whole thing, trying to bend/break/snip the tab from outside the case, or just using a spare NIC you have laying around

I did this to myself a couple of weeks ago, right after mentally patting myself on the back for how the whole PC had gone together without a hitch. :doh:

Luckily for me the IO plate had enough flex I could get a pick and a spudger in there to carefully bend the tab up and over the Ethernet and USB ports I'd managed to block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

BrainDance posted:

I had a fan die on a machine with a mobile duron and before I noticed the CPU literally melted itself.

I guess they didn't shut down when thermals got wild fast enough back then?

This exact thing happened to the Athlon TBird in our family PC. Just went from fine to smoke coming out in an instant.