Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Now if we could see some RAM price c... ahahaha the best I can hope for is some $15 class action lawsuit rebate in 2022 for "buying one or more RAM modules during the price collusion period during 2017-2018"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
cartel? I think you mean "trio that has opted for co-existence as the best way to maximize profitability"

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So an attacker with kernel level access to the system can do kernel level things with it? I still don't see the exploit. You can also flash a corrupted Intel Management Engine into the BIOS and brick an Intel computer or permenantly change configuration settings most people aren't even aware of, is that also an "exploit"?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
lol okay 'serious vulnerability'? If an attacker has root access to your system, they can flash your BIOS with garbage, they can install ransomware, they can install a rootkit. They OWN your system at that point. which loving attacker is going to do firmware fuckery when they have literally EVERY OTHER MEANS to do whatever the gently caress they want

meanwhile Spectre/Meltdown allow reading kernel memory from loving javascript running under a VM. Yeah totally comparable.

might as well call "physically taking a computer" a 'serious vulnerability' too. I mean in that case they can just take the CPU out of the socket and run off with it! try booting with no CPU!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
~~FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE~~

An attacker with physical access to systems running AMD based processors, including Ryzen and Epyc, may be vulnerable to permanent damage.
In out proof of concept, an attacker was able to remove the CPU, and scratch up the motherboard with a car key they had on hand.
The system was rendered permanently unbootable.

ALL AMD CHIPS, RELEASED FROM 1982 AND ON, ARE EFFECTED! AMD has yet to provide resolution to this matter but are investigating the attack vector.

-company totally not set up overnight by stock market manipulators hoping computer algorithms read "negative AMD news story" and drop the price

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

shut up you colossal dipshit
rofl.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
i gave a crackhead the key to my house and they stole my TV. can't believe the lock on my door was exploited so bad

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
PC had a locked password protected BIOS with secure boot enabled. expoited the gently caress out of it and booted a linux liveCD anyway. Just used the 'password' to access the BIOS written on a sticky note nearby, then turned off secure boot :smug:. BIOS vendors need to patch this massive vulnerabiltiy. cant believe how easy it was to run unsigned code when all i had was admin access at the metal.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
“When was the last time you saw a security advisory that was basically “if you replace the BIOS or the CPU microcode with an evil version, you might have a security problem”? Yeah,” he said in the same thread."

-linus torvalds, a shameful man who doesn't "get" security

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Lol. You are so loving retarded. You called this a "serious escalation exploit" when this involves no exploit allowing for escalation, considering root access at metal level is a prerequisite to even attempting it.

You have no idea what you are talking about.. And your linked vulnerabilities were vulnerabilities because they worked in conjunction with vulnerabilities with AMT allowing for bypassing authorization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Bypassing authorization means unauthorized attackers had access, FYI. That is what is known as an "serious escalation vulnerability" you stupid man.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Looks good. Close enough to 8700K that I'd rather buy AMD just to not throw money toward intel's way.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is it worth paying extra for X470 boards? Plan on upgrading my i5 2500K to Ryzen 2700X next month but X470 is pretty pricey (looks like they start around $180 at Microcenter).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What is StoreMI? Is that kind of like Intel SRT (SSD/RAM caching for HDD)? I use PrimoCache so I am kind of interested in that technology, though PrimoCache does it pretty well.

I thought X470 supported higher clockrates with XFR2 or something, did that turn out to be true? I also just found out B450 is due soon so maybe that will be out by the time I upgrade.

I don't have any old Ryzen CPUs for flashing the BIOS. That might be an obstacle for me with B350.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Has AMD made any statements about their eventual Zen2 (Ryzen 3rd-gen) being compatible with X470? I am actually leaning towards X470 right now just for the better power delivery alone, and with the Microcenter $50 bundle discount, $130 is typically what I spend on a mobo anyway. But if X470 is Zen2-compatible, then I'd rather go for a 2600X now and put that $100 towards a new CPU 2 years down the line, I am usually a "buy $200 now, upgrade with $200 in 2 years" rather than "$400 now" kind of guy.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
That makes my CPU choice harder. If I go with 2700X I can literally double my cores and quadruple my threads from 2500K.
I mean I'd probably be happy with 2600X but the doubling aspect just sounds really cool. I've never bought a CPU that cost more than $200, before the 2500K my favorite CPU was the E2160 because that poo poo did a 50% overclock and was amazing value for its time too. I am an extreme cheapass and always like those best-value components.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I've noticed a whole bunch of Zen+ laptop chips just came out, I wonder how they are vs Intel. Like Ryzen 3750H vs 9300H (also new from Intel but its just 8300H+100mhz)

Haven't seen any reviews/benchmarks yet.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Stickman posted:

Presumably you forgo a CPU cooler so you can show it off?

How can I cook dinner if i use a cpu cooler?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrmu_8LH88U

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Really can't wait for Zen2.. All those sexy PCIe Lanes without having to go Threadripper. Can finally get off my i5 2500K (which has served me pretty well considering its 8 years old now).

We have all these bandwidth hungry standards (NVMe, Thunderbolt 3, USB3.2 on horizon) and still use PCIe standard from almost 10 years ago and less than 20 lanes.

I want to be able to fit like eight NVMe drives in my computer some day.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The leaked date I heard is May 27.

Is it sad that I am looking forward to that day more than Christmas or any holiday. My 2500K is showing its age these days but Zen+ is just a little too weak at single thread and Intel is just outrageously expensive right now.

And I am very skeptical about Navi, you can already get Vega 56 for $300 so unless they deliver a 2080 killer for under $500 it isn't too interesting. And they just launched the Radeon VII which is only about even with a 2080 at $700. I guess they could try to beat the 2070 at $500 but the 2070 is already the worst in terms of value of the RTX cards.

Maybe they will surprise us all and put out a 2080Ti killer for $450. I can dream.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I just want to know clock-per-clock IPC increase. Zen+ is like what, average 3-5% behind Intel?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

eames posted:

It is quite fun to watch Microsoft try so hard to make their WSL2 as attractive as possible so their OS doesn’t end up in a KVM VM. I still hope the latter wins somehow. :shobon:

That's my plan when I upgrade.. my old 2500K doesn't have VT-d and that leaves me in Windows most the time.

Been seeing a ton of deals on older/current Ryzens lately. Hopefully that is a good sign they are clearing out as much old inventory as they can because Zen2 is just such a big leap forward.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I'm getting impatient.. Lots of sales on old Ryzen right now.

Is X570 going to be a major upgrade over X470?

Microcenter has Ryzen 1600 for $80 right now. I'm thinking about buying that plus an X470 board, then swap the cpu with Zen2 when it comes out.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Measly Twerp posted:

Clock for clock, a single Matisse core matches a Coffee Lake core in Geekbench 4. There's for sure some variance in the performance per task, not sure what that means for real world usage.

While the test page says one was at 2.89GHz and the other at 3.2GHz, the data for both tests shows that the median clocks where 3.975GHz and 3.983GHz respectively.

Holy poo poo that is impressive. The lowest end Ryzen 3 is edging out their previous highest-end 2700X, and doing that with two less cores.
It also confirms AdoredTV's leaks, which most people thought was too good to be true horseshit.

As a bonus vs Intel, the security model of AMD isn't based on Swiss Cheese and you don't have to disable any critical, market-segmenting features.

And Intel has no response for at least two years. 10nm will be laptop-only (meaning it was a bust), and nothing to fall back on like their Pentium 3-M when Prescott failed.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Maybe laptops are too risky because ARM (Apple A12X and upcoming Snapdragon 8cx) is starting to get in that performance territory already.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Cygni posted:

Retpoline gets turned on by default with the winders 1903 update, thankfully. Should also help pre-Zen AMD stuff.

I use LTSB on my 2500K machine.. Kind of want to get off it now that Xbox has Gamepass for PC that I happen to have anyway. Unless there is a way to get the Xbox app back on LTSB.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Intel got super greedy. I know 90% of the board still runs a 2500K but honestly, that shouldn't be possible to get away with. That CPU is 8 years old now, it came out in 2011.

Imagine going back ANOTHER 8 years and getting a mid-range CPU from then (2003). Maybe a 2.4GHZ single-core Pentium 4? Then trying to still use that against a i5 2500K in 2011 to play the top games then (Battlefield 3, Deus Ex HR, Skyrim, Crysis 2). Not going to happen yet my 2500K can play anything released in 2019 even if frame times aren't as smooth as I might like.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Peechka posted:

I had a 3570K (or was it 3750K?) Paired up with a Nvidia 1070 I had to upgrade earlier this year because it really could not keep up with the new games like BF5. I would see drastic frame drops, sometimes 1sec lock ups which made the game unplayable. So went out and got an i5 9600K and a new board and ram for about $500 total and the improvement was drastic. In BF5 I wentr from stutters and barely 60 FPS,t o 130FPS I destiny 2 I went from 60 FPS to 140FPS... So IDK how you guys are using the 2500K with modern games anymore. Granted the 2500K was better chip overall but still.

Still have a 60hz monitor and am overclocked to 4.5ghz. I don't get any lockups though the most intensive game I play is BLOPS4. But I would like to get a 144hz monitor and my CPU needs to keep up for that to happen, so it's time to upgrade.

I think part of why 2500K held up so long is that both the Xbox One and PS4 use weak, 2x quad-core AMD apus. 8 weak cores and devs werent too used to spreading out the workload at first, so most of the work was really done on one slow core in many early games, so 4 fast cores could easily keep up.
Now that they are better at distributing the work across 8 cores and gaming APIs are more optimized for multicore, quad-core is just going to fall further and further behind very quickly and that I'll need to upgrade to at least 8 cores too.. Especially because the PS5/next xbox is coming soon and will have 8 ryzen cores. That's my theory but I am not a game developer.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Didn't AMD used to send like a ryzen 1200 or something for you to flash your BIOS then send back? Maybe that was just for Zen+ and they stopped doing it for Zen2.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Kazinsal posted:

Because everything goes in 20 year cycles and it's about time for us to hit peak Bad CGI Elf Titties once again.

If it means no more LEDs I am fine with this.

Though it probably means Bad CGI Elf LED Titties, like the headlight scene in dumb and dumber.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I didn't pay attention to first Ryzen launch but did clock rates improve over time due to binning/refining? Is there hope of 4.5ghz all core 3900X if I just wait it out a few months?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I think I settled on going for 3700x, the only other option I'm thinking about is going for a 3600 right now for $200, then upgrading whenever Zen3 comes out since it should also be am4. I'm guessing that's 18 months away? Would I regret going 6core even if it's just for 18 months?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
https://www.microcenter.com/product/510035/TUF_B450M-PLUS_Gaming_AM4_mATX_AMD_Motherboard

How is this board? It's $50 after buying a CPU with it and I think I read that it will support PCIe 4 from CPU?

They also have an open-box 3700X for $280.. $330 then 16GB DDR4 3200 would be about $65 so It would be around $400 to upgrade.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Cygni posted:

I've even had windows sneak its boot loader onto other drives after install too. That was like 7 years ago, but I'm still mad about it obviously.

I did a quick format of a disk that had an old windows install on it before, then put it in the computer. Windows detected the old os on the formatted disk, FIXED IT then changed my bootloader to use it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

HalloKitty posted:

AMD's already passed a monumental barrier: they've achieved better IPC. AMD needs to get clocks a little up and latencies a little down, and then there's nothing really standing in their way. On the other hand, Intel seems to have made an enormous mess of things. It's almost unbelievable: Intel's profits and overall turnover dwarfs that of AMD's, AMD shouldn't even have a reasonable chance, but here we are

Did they suffer brain drain from their CPU design department over the years of milking it since Sandy Bridge? They sound a lot like IBM internally (which I previously worked for).

I still think ARM is a massive threat to Intel right now and is part of the reason Intel is going into dedicated GPUs. I think X86/AMD64 in general is dying a very slow death (as in 10 years). ARM can do general end-user computing (Office, web browsing), GPU can do AI/Big data/Scalable crunching. Little room for X86 except for legacy apps/gaming once ARM catches up to mainstream Intel laptop CPUs, which they almost have.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Why wouldn't apple just do the same thing they did when moving away from PowerPC to X86, and emulate things until native copies come out? Isn't that what the latest Windows 10 ARM does?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Going back to AMD, do I need an X570 mobo to get the memory compatibility improvements? The older chipsets are a lot cheaper but it almost isn't worth it if I have to fight it to get the RAM working at a higher speed. I just want to use 3200CL16 with no hassle.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Nalin posted:

It's been almost 2 weeks since my 3900X failed to ship and went on back-order. There's been no news at all since then. How likely is it that Zen3 will stick with socket AM4 and DDR4 RAM? I'm thinking of just buying a 3600 and purchasing a high-core count Zen3 chip next year. My i5-3570K is struggling a lot nowadays and I kinda want to get this new computer built.

Has there been any word on when new stock should arrive?
Maybe this will help you find one.
https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/processors/amd/

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is there any chart that will show relative performance and RAM speed? Is DDR4 3000CL16 going a bit too slow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The only reason I am waiting on 16-core is because I am disappointed with the single-thread performance of Zen2.. I was expecting parity with Intel at gaming but AMD still lags behind a bit, especially once you factor in 5GHZ Intel overclocks. Otherwise I'd be waiting on 3950X (imagine if they could actually do 4.6ghz all-core like some were claiming).

My thought is 3600 will blow me away compared to the 2500K (4.5) I have now, and spending $200 to not have Intel parity is acceptable, but spending $750 is not.

Then when Zen3 is out, which will be better to some degree (not known at this point but I hope it is at least a 200mhz bump which would bring it very close to Intel), I can maybe go with the 16-core version and sell off my 3600.

Future-proofing is an impossible task though, I'm sure people tried future-proofing 7th Gen intel and then they got completely hosed shortly after. So really, it is a 3600 for now, re-evaluate in 18 months when the next-gen consoles and Zen3 launch and see what would work out.