Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Seriously, a Threadripper mobo in the Aorus gaming line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ryzen/Vega APU something something

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

GloFo claims their 7LP will go to 5 GHz. Ryzen at 5 GHz will be super great actually.

It would. Plus other architectural improvements as well.

But I quote: "Netburst will scale to 10 Ghz!" - Intel.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The baked in erratta fixes, likely better clocks, likely better memory compatibility makes zen+ sound much more attractive. I just want 3200 memory to work out of the box!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So is zen+ the die shrink? Or is that zen2?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So can we declare the pentium line dead or what?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

NewFatMike posted:

Raven Ridge allegedly spotted today, as well.

https://videocardz.com/71232/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-with-radeon-vega-graphics-spotted

1080p30 medium (with Freesync) I'll take for sure, especially if the U indicates a low voltage SKU. Looks like almost double the Iris Pro 640 performance?

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...52-70bcb8d3bca6

Whoa, back up a sec here. Is this with just straight system RAM? All Iris Pro parts have eRAM built in-die, right?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD is notably better at binning TDP in this product sector and since Kabini they often overestimate when it comes to low wattage parts (the 25w on AM1 is actually never reached unless you overclock for example)

Considering you can get 8 cores to run 35w power draw at 3.0ghz on an 8 core Ryzen, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a 25w 4c8t Raven Ridge, which would definitely chop the legs off of the upcoming 28w quad core Coffee Lake.

e: and with how a CCX works we might actually see 3 core parts, which haven't been seen since the Athlon II days...

Well don't forget to add a few watts for the iGPU. Ryzen doesn't have any GPU silicon at all. Still, even 30-35w for a full package ain't bad and most ultrabooks should be able to handle it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

FaustianQ posted:

Same, was going to get a 1600 but I'll wait for the 1650 or 2600 if it means 4.2 to 4.5Ghz clocks.

Don't forget better (more mature) chipsets and BIOSes too. Maybe they get the memory dependence not so drastic too.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm waiting for that 4.4-4.5 GHz regular ryzen stepping myself.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

FaustianQ posted:

So apparently TR4 is getting support for the next two generations, and it's theoretical possible to scale to four working chips. I can't wait until 2020 rolls around.

Intel: Guys we're release our 10nm 28C/48T product for 2066-V2! Wait, why is no one buying?!
AMD: Because 48C/96T bitches! Yeeeehah *leaps out of van*

Cinebench multithread scores over 9000?!?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'd like to say its as much the density afforded by 14nm and smaller going forward that allows for all this fancy MCM stuff, especially for GPUs because at 28nm, even if scaling efficient, fuuuuckk that package size.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So uh... 12nm node is coming.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I am salivating for Ryzen with a few percent IPC improvement, baked in errata fixes and OC to 4.4-4.5 Ghz. Oh and less finicky memory support.

This is the right call to get product out to market faster.

The dumpster fire known as Vega on the other hand may get the flames put out with this new node? (It will still be a disgusting smelly mess, just no longer actively burning?)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Paul Otellini died.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah if the claims of 8C Ice Lake clocking to 5 GHz are correct then AMD better have something serious up their sleeves with Ryzen2.

They just need to find a bit more IPC and clock clock clock the hell out of that uarch. As great as 8C Ryzen is at 4.0 Ghz, I'm not entirely convinced its as future proof as that same chip @ 4.5 Ghz (which nobody outside of LN2 folks have done) so that's the one I'm waiting on.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Single channel is ok if its a) DDR4 and b) for lovely $400 atom based stuff.

That said, even dual channel DDR4 2400 is "only" around 32-35 GB/s which is well below the MX150's bandwidth which is the chip I'd immediately compare any ultrabook mobile vega variant to.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Cygni posted:

It's probably HP trying to skim money off the cost of an AMD laptop, cause they don't think AMD laptops will sell at a higher price. This has been a problem with AMD laptops since the friggen K6-2 days. It's a shame because single channel DDR4 is going to starve the hell out of a 4 core Zen + 704CU graphics unit. For comparison, the Radeon RX 550 has 512CU but 112gb/s of bandwidth just to itself....

Except that the RX 550 is a 45-50 watt part and the whole Raven Ridge package is supposed to be less than that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm personally expecting regular Intel HD graphics to get smacked pretty hard if AMD can pump out enough Raven Ridge parts in volume. The Iris Pro equipped stuff with eRAM will get overtaken by a smaller margin but those parts' real downside is the massive cost for what they are anyway so gently caress 'em.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

bobfather posted:

i5-8400 is still sparsely available, and no cheap motherboards are available.

Meanwhile Newegg has a 1600x + Asrock X370 combo for like $250 after rebate right now. You might be able to do even better if you're near a Microcenter. I could see this becoming the new "normal" price for this kit in less than a month, with specials bringing it closer to $200 total for the kit.

By the time cheap boards are available for the 8400, we'll be close to the Zen refresh. Should be interesting!

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen so don't think you can just plonk down a couple of bills and call it done. Still better than Intel pricing on mobo+cpu.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Those items are what will future-proof Ryzen. It is great now but unless those 16 threads run 10% faster, we aren't going to get even close to the 2500/2600k longevity that alot of people have grown accustomed to (for whatever reasons good, bad or ugly).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I was expecting 25w, but 15w is trolling the gently caress out of Intel with sick donuts in the parking lot

Yeah most ultrabooks should have no problem cooling a 25w part especially if thats really the only thing in there generating and significant heat (I guess some NVMe drives get a little toasty). But an extra 10w budgeted to the Vega cores for something that stacks up more convincingly against the MX150 would much more desirable. They're about 25% short on FS gpu score.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Wouldn't be that different than Nvidia and gameworks tesselation

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

NewFatMike posted:

Dell please XPS 15 6C with Freesync 2 Vega and HBM, I will be forever horny.

Not enough Vega shaders though. For your car analogy, there's no replacement for displacement in this case.

I suspect they'll get to the RX 560 4GB level, maybe a bit more with all that sweet sweet bandwidth - which would still be the most powerful "integrated graphics" ever and impressive for the power envelope.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think you just ran right into a car analogy

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Microcenter has 1700X down to $230

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Will there be new chipsets?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Graphics processing costs watts, yo. Always has, always will.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Eletriarnation posted:

To me the thing that's least believable about it is that they'd come up with a 12-core 5.1GHz chip, which would be able to murder anything Intel is putting out for under four figures, and then they'd sell it for $450. Like... I'd stand in line to pay $700 for that and I'm a cheapass who's been sitting on a 2500K for 6 years looking at new things and going "eh... not good enough yet."

The below will set everything straight.

Kazinsal posted:

I'd buy a guaranteed 4.5 GHz 8C/16T Ryzen1.5 part for sure. Anything above that would be icing on the cake.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If GF 7nm really is coming in early 2019 then 2018 is going to be a zugzwang year for purchasing Ryzen anything. I do want all the good things that (could) come from the 12nm refresh coming for sure in 2018 but don't really want all those advantages surpassed so soon if 7nm Zen2 is that outrageously ahead. At least AM4 socket stays relevant.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
By now, yes. GCN at launch was pretty decent at launch though. 28nm is a hell of a drug.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
When you're getting margins like GV100 does, BoM/production cost isn't that big an issue.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Generic Monk posted:

they just left the desktop headspreader on and everything? since they're that unconcerned with thickness i'm betting the thing will cut off the circulation to your legs if you actually try to use it as a laptop

never mind the heatspreader - lol the ZIF socket!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Cygni posted:

Essentially, yeah. It's on a slightly improved process, and they will be launching new chipsets (rebadged? i cant think of any new features to add). But they have explicitly said its the same architecture, so maybe a few hundred more mhz?

They could have something up their sleeve, but I'm personally reserved in my expectations too. If yields are good, maybe we get 6 cores all the way down the stack or more aggressive pricing, both of which would be cool for gamers targeting the R5 1600/ i5 8400 bang-for-the-buck zone.

A few more hundred Mhz would be my target as well. 16 threads @ 3.8-4.0 ghz for cheap is GOOD but not really super compelling considering how long overclocked sandy bridge has managed to hold out. Those 16 threads @ 4.4 or 4.5 though and things start looking much better. Yeah it's only about 10% on paper but considering the IPC improvements for the last 5 years has been just creeeeeeping along, that 10% clock translates into at least a year of extra relevency.

And speaking of futureproofing, isn't 7nm rolling around in 2019? These "improved Ryzen" parts would only have been out for no more than 15-18 months before being "obsoleted" if the promises of Zen2 are to be believed. Smaller dies = 32c/64t Threadrippers @ 5.0 ghz? HOLY SHEEEEEEEIITT

TLDR: I'm just a big fat babby and don't want to get a new CPU for 6-7 years after seating it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Perhaps not as outright awful as RAM but SSD prices have increased per GB as well. And innovation in terms of drive size has utterly stagnated too. Where the hell are our 4TB drives for ~$800?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Faux pas to quote myself from the last page but if 7nm really does open up the opportunity for 32c/64t threadrippers at badass clockspeeds then HOLY FUUUUUCKK

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think theres a HARD date but AMD has already stated they're sampling the process right now per the CES slide decks and the across the board discounts on current ryzen parts are a hint of clearing inventory.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If its 10% then so be it. Even better with all the stability/errata/memory latency improvements you just mentioned. Small as that margin may be, it represents quite a bit of extra life and especially so if Zen2 is delayed by any significant amount. And speaking of Zen2, I'd rather drop it into a more up to date motherboard anyway.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
When 7nm comes around for sure. If nothing else than to put an absolute spike bat to Intel's testicular region pricing structure.

But yeah 32c/64t threadripper parts at 5.0 GHz holy fuuuuuuucckk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I did not expect to see the 1v1 core comparisons end up like that though, nice.