Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheFluff posted:

You're moving the goalposts. The starting point for the discussion was 4C4T parts

No, the starting point for the discussion was 6c vs 8c Ryzen 3000 for video games. Furthermore, that multithreading in games isn't moving that fast, 4c CPUs still work ok for games now and 6c ones will be fine for the next several years. Those are the goalposts I really care about. Everyone else is trying to move it by saying that 6600Ks are now bad, or that average FPS isn't the right measure, or now that 4c/8t will be totally different from 4c8t.

I've presented evidence that recent 4c4t intel CPUs are still fine in average FPS, and that old 4c8t CPUs are ok if not spectacular in the low FPS mark. If you or anyone else wants to show some data on the subject besides general handwaving about how the some CPU sucks in Battlefield V, be my guest.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

I forget which site it was, but they did a giant comparison of pastes / TIMs and included toothpaste and chocolate, among a few others.

Dan's Data was the original, he included vegemite because he's aussie. (Vegemite performed very well, but was very difficult to clean.)

Crotch Fruit posted:

Clearly they should have use something more artificial and loaded with preservatives like miracle whip.

Gotta stick with the industry standard!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

I bet the most common mistake people make is slathering way too much thermal interface paste on the cpu

That's not really a problem anymore, modern pastes are all made to squeeze out after some thermal cycles.

The only benefit to using less and spreading by hand is to get more applications from a tube. But AFAIK using too little is more likely to cause temperature problems from dry spots than too much.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

karoshi posted:

Does AMD manufacture the console's APUs or are they manufactured under their respective corporations? MS and Sony should start ramping up production soon for the 2020 EOY launch.

I've never been sure about this, because I've seen contradictory news stories. IIRC I read a story not too long ago that said the chips for xbox & PS4 had moved to different fabs.

But then there's old stories like this where it seems like AMD had more say in the matter. Which might have been the case in 2014 -- maybe part of the contract was to use GloFlo because that was back when AMD was having trouble using up their wafer agreement?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

AMD does not own fabs, they do designs and contract the production out the TSMC and GF. MS and Sony will get those chips and then do final assembly with them either in-house if they have it or on contract with someone else

But isn't it a licensed design so MS & Sony can have independent control of the production though?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

There's very little customization and any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any.
I feel like either major OEMs are just slow to change and are used to Intel only, or Intel is doing something underhanded.

The 'rebates' thing was the same trick they pulled the last time around, except they were way too obvious about the rebates only being available to OEMs who didn't use AMD CPUs. And that's how they lost an anti-trust suit.

I'm 100% expecting they're doing similar deals now but with more subtle and probably-not-illegal restrictions, something like the big rebates only when a model line is all intel. That would explain the visible effect of AMD being locked out of high-end product lines.

OTOH this is how intel competes on price: only when it has to, and in secret. Stuff like the 10980 getting a $1000 price drop shows where their margins on high-end parts are. They can discount their stuff to be competitive, but they don't want to. If they can preserve their inflated price structure until AMD does Bulldozer 2 Electric Boogaloo, they can go right back to record profits.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FOLK STYLE FISTING posted:

Why doesn't AMD get more recognition for the innovations they've brought to consumers of x86 technology?

Because normal people don't give a gently caress about that nerd poo poo.

Second, a bunch of that list of "firsts" are not really worth much boasting. What's the big achievement in dual core on a consumer desktop when Power chips had been doing it for years in servers & workstations? Much like PCIe 4.0, it was gonna happen anyways (intel was well at work on Yonah when Athlon 64 X2 came out).

Third, AMD does have fanboys. Ain't nobody got a "cyrix 4 lyfe" tattoo.

x86-64 is worth saying thanks AMD for though, god knows where we'd be in the mirror universe where itanium was the only choice.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GunnerJ posted:

Does the Ryzen 2700X have a known reputation for running a bit hotter than usual? Mine idles at between 50-60, and it seems like the fan spins up whenever I do anything besides read the screen. Not sure if the cooler is fixed on improperly or I slopped up the thermal paste and need to re-apply.

What's your cooler? I assume you're not using a stock sink since you applied your own thermal paste, in which case 50-60 is quite warm for idle. But then the question is, what does it do under load? If the temp shoots up under load then you likely messed up the paste or have the thing mounted unevenly. Otherwise, maybe you just have a weird fan or fan curve? There are a couple arctic heatsinks that come with fans that shut off below 25% PWM, which would tend to make for high idle temp and weird on/off noise.

If you are using the stock cooler, that's kinda why stock coolers suck. (But you didn't do something like apply thermal paste to a stock cooler that already has a pre-applied thermal pad, did you?)

One thing to check is the windows power profile for minimum processor power state. If it's set to 90% or higher try setting it to 50% or 5% and see if that makes a difference.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

I put together a system that has a Ryzen 7 2700x using the stock Wraith Prism cooler/thermal paste, and put it in a Cooler Master Q300L case that includes a 120mm exhaust fan. I added two 140mm intake fans.

I've been running smallFTT prime95 for about 20mins now, and Ryzen Master reports the temp is around 82-83c. All fans are properly at 100% speed. The case is pretty small, but I've read it's thermals are ok. Is that load temp safe?

a. That's an expected temperature for the stock cooler on an all-core stress test load. The prism is an actually decent cooler but all 8 cores on the 2700X is a lot of watts. same reuslt here

b. No, the Q300L is not a good case for thermals. Case fans are super inefficient in it because the vent holes are so small -- there's more metal than hole on all the mounting points. GN gave the full-size version it's disappointment award. The mATX version is a bit better just because the PSU isn't re-exhasting to the inside of the case like the ATX, but it's still not good.

The whole thing is covered with holes, so it would probably be ok just passively exchanging air as a low-workload low-noise machine, NAS box, or HTPC case. But it's not a performance case.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Makes sense. It was the cheapest case at the time that my brother wanted for this build because it was the smallest size mATX case within his budget, and he also liked the way it looked. I was expecting thermals to be better, but idle temps at like ~35-45C with random spikes into the low-to-mid 50s here and there doesn't seem too bad.

Depends if you've got a hot video card in there as well, but with 2 140s you're probably getting enough fresh air that things won't totally choke. It's just kinda a waste because the 140s will have to fight hard. Fans make more noise when they don't have free flow, and you'll have to set the speed higher to get enough air.

I think it could also be improved with way less effort than GN put into embiggening all their holes (and way cleaner results). Just cut out a selection of metal around the perimeter of the fans -- the outer end of the fan blades is what does most of the work. Like so:

No need for a step bit, just a dremel or nibbler. The problem is you can't go too nuts on removing metal because those side panels are the structure of the case.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Does anyone have solid numbers on how quickly Zen2 cores throttle up when they transition from having nothing to do to being busy? Googling for p-state switching latencies didn't yield anything.

CPU-controlled P-states switch super fast. Probably limited by how fast the VRM can respond to CPU asking for more volts?

AFAIK the only thing that takes non-trivial time is coming out of core parking, ie cores completely turned off. Back when Ryzen came out this was a problem because Windows would turn off all but one core in light tasks & one-core loads, but then still does the thing where it rotates a task to different cores.

AMD put the Ryzen balanced power plan in the AMD chipset driver package, it sets the minimum processor state to 90%, which means that cores never park and the CPU stays in p-states. But that isn't needed anymore because windows 10 updated to also not park cores on Ryzen if you're using the standard balanced power plan.

Official AMD rep on reddit:

quote:

4a) However, the Ryzen Balanced plan still sets a minimum clockspeed of 90% on a core that is actively under load. This eliminates some small latency penalties that occur when ramping a CPU from low clock to high clock. This will give the Ryzen Balanced plan a small edge in select cases. It's a few percent, and I've only seen it measured in synthetic workloads.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GunnerJ posted:

Hey quick question: Between Tdie and Tctl, which should I care about for evaluating processor temperature?

Tdie, if the two are different then tctl is higher because your cpu has a temp offset.

Tdie is also whichever core is hottest, ie each core has its own sensor and the reported temp is the highest.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grouchio posted:

1. I have AMD Software version 19.6.1 (Adrenalin 2019) on a 64bit laptop with a Radeon 500 Series card. (Witcher 3 runs at 20-30fps)
2. Every time I've had to update the software in 2018 and 2019 I've had to reinstall the whole thing time and time again, as it no longer functions after running each manual update.
3. I have just been notified of 19.12x and 20.1x updates and how much of an apparent shitshow they've been with crashes and all.
4. Should I just never install these updates ever? Or wait a few months for a better version?

1. Witcher 3 isn't likely to see much improvement from new drivers today, so if that's the game you're playing I wouldn't be concerned about updating every new version.

2. Sounds like you should use DDU to completely clean any and all old driver cruft from the system and install the next ones fresh. (DDU is also very recommended if you ever want to downgrade to previous versions.)

3. AFAIK most of the shitshow has been with new 5000 series cards.

4. From my perspective: the new 20.x set was a step backwards in stability initially. (I seriously thought about downgrading, but before I got around to it a new version came out and resolved the worst problem.) But some of the 19.x versions were pretty quirky on my 5700 as well. So it's been a general trend of improvement overall.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Just for further reassurance before I hand off this PC to my brother, it's normal to see constant fluctuations in idle temps like this for Zen+ CPUs, right?

Yeah, zen+ and 2 go over-board about boosting up to max single-core clock for any amount of work, including wiggling the mouse around or just running a regular temperature query. "Hey ryzen, how hot are you?" "Oh gently caress better get that answer fast, ludicrous speed GO!!!"

And how much / hot they'll boost depends on their designated TPD -- your 2200G is 65W, the X CPUs are 105W. The cooler doesn't really even matter for these micro-spikes. The heat jumps so quick it's still moving out of the silicon by the time the CPU calms back down and realizes it can move the mouse cursor at 2.7ghz just fine.

Think of it as a derpy but very enthusiastic puppy.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 24, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CrazyLoon posted:

while I use a 2600 and not the heat machine that I hear is the 2700X, I do still use the stock cooler just fine but do so with a different trick: I set the CPU VCORE to 0.932 mV via Ryzen Master everytime I boot up and get idling temperatures that hover around a comfy 35 degrees celsius.

Do please note that you can only do this via Ryzen Master in Windows after bootup. If instead you set the VCORE to below 1.15 mV in the BIOS, the chipset will literally not provide the CPU enough power to even boot you into the BIOS next time you restart and you'll have to Q-FLASH or clear CMOS maybe...but if you do this, you can use stock cooler just fine and like I said 35 degrees celsius on idle and will never go past 60 degrees celsius under heavy load. So while I'd be very hesitant to recommend overvolting Zen+ of any kind, I would very happily recommend undervolting it in this way.

Uh, I'd try verifying that with HWinfo because I doubt that your CPU is actually running at less than 1V.

But for anyone who wants to make their Ryzen CPU run cooler, setting Precision Boost Overdrive to manual in Ryzen Master and lowering the PPT Watts is way easier than manually changing voltage and even more effective. That leaves speed & voltage control in the hands of the CPU still, but just gives it a lower target to stay under. The CPU can find its own optimal combination of voltage & frequency better than manual tweaking.

Presenting Nipples posted:

Every time I've installed Ryzen Master it crashes my system and then it wont run on startup. I've uninstalled it, but I'm worried it's still screwing up my system. Is there a way to do a complete uninstall (similar to DDU for graphics cards)?

Just uninstalling it should remove it completely. It's only hardware drivers that stick around such that you need a DDU to completely clean them. (And that's Windows that is responsible, it keeps driver files so that rollback works.)

Ryzen master doesn't work if you have virtualization enabled, which win10 now does by default. And even though ryzen master is cool, I'd rather have access to windows sandbox.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sauer kraut posted:

Can you set the PPT in Bios? In general I mean, not all vendors/models would expose it.
Playing games with an AMD software is not my idea of fun times.

Yeah a BIOS can let you set manual values for Precision Boost Overdrive.

sauer kraut posted:

e; I wish AMD had had the balls to set ppt to 50W for the 3700 and 65W for the 3800.

AMD has sacrificed power efficiency for speed to be more competitive for a long, long time. Only thing different now is that for the first time since 2001 they've got intel also saying gently caress it, crank the watts.

Lungboy posted:

In case anyone else saw the reports of an updated Wraith Prism cooler, it turns out it's fake.

lol if those are real heatpipes and not just hollow copper tubes, the counterfeit would be better than the real thing :psyduck:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

My Plex server uses an MSI B450M Mortar mainboard with a Ryzen 3 2200G. It had two 8GB sticks of 3200MHz QVL listed RAM, but just now I added another pair of the same 8GB sticks to fill out the remaining RAM slots. The server couldn't boot running the 4 sticks of RAM at 3200MHz. I cleared CMOS, went into BIOS, and set XMP profile to the 2933MHz one, and it boots no problem. Is not being able to run the 3200MHz XMP profile with all RAM slots filled a limitation of the CPU? Or the motherboard/chipset? Or both?

it is a limitation of running 4 sticks of memory in daisy chain

The wires that connect each channel of memory go from the CPU to slot 1, and then to slot 2. (The wires for the other channel go to slot 3 & 4.) This means that when you have a stick in each slot, they will be slightly out of sync due to the tiny additional distance the signal has to travel from slot 1 to 2. The QVL and ram rated speeds are always for running just 2 sticks.

Besides lowering the clockspeed, you can also try setting the CAS etc timings higher to run at 3000 or 3200, to keep the Ryzen IF clock high. That probably makes no difference for a plex server though.

(Other, high end boards have T topology instead of daisy chain, in which the signals split evenly like a T. This is more expensive for the PCB and in general can't run at as high of clocks as daisy chain can with just 2 sticks.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Cool! Thanks for the info :)

The 2933MHz XMP profile sets the CAS to 16. Is it advisable to go any higher than that?

Eh, how valuable is your time? You could probably find some combo of timings and speed that's better, but fiddling with memory can be some extremely tedious trial and error.

And yeah, given your use there will be zero perceivable difference between 2933 and 3200.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EmpyreanFlux posted:

4000 series is AM4 though?

almost certainly, but no official announcements

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Threw together my 3600X / X570 system a while back, upgraded to the latest bios and oddly enough it crashes...while idling. It's soliid while gaming. If I let it sit in some games at the menu, it crashes. If I leave OneDrive running, it crashes. If I use Citrix to work from home, it crashes.

I don't know what the gently caress

try memtest to see if your memory is unstable? ram would be equally likely to cause crashes when idle as with load.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

Ok, I’m going crazy, what the gently caress am I doing wrong where all my Boot Options disappear on an ASUS TRX40? All the devices are there (2x NVMe drives), but the BIOS just lists zero options for booting. I think it’s from me flipping the CSM on/off, but never seen this before.

Did you also turn on secure boot or something?

If the only drives you have in the system are NVMe then windows must have been installed in EFI mode. But if you also have a sata drive it's possible that you were in legacy this whole time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

There’s no way the TRX40 in TYOOL 2020 needs the CSM to boot via NVMe, does it?

I dunno, looking at the internet for Asus CSM it seems like it's more than just the legacy/EFI switch I'm used to from other bioses. There's stuff like the video card needing to support UEFI as well.

I think the settings you should be using are:
CSM - Enabled
Boot Devices Control - UEFI only

The only other suggestion I can see is people saying that to have the CSM disabled, you have to install the OS from the start with it disabled. Which isn't how it works elsewhere, but again I guess CSM does more than just the boot sequence. So if you really want CSM to be turned off, try disabling it and then booting a win10 stick to repair the existing install?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grouchio posted:

My AMD drivers installed themselves into not showing up on my laptop after a major windows update; took me a full hour to tell my machine to stop auto-updating AMD and to clean reinstall the files. Every six months with you stupid thing. :bang:

Just had to coincide with my laptop cooling pad dying on me huh?

(Radeon Adrenalin 500 series software)

That's a windows problem not an AMD problem. Turn off driver updates being delivered via windows update.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

This is just my small personal observations in my own corners of the internet and purchasing experiences lately but Asus has worked themselves out of my rotation for PC hardware, excluding perhaps monitors where I would obviously know which panel was in it.

I can't find a single Asus product I would rather have at any price point versus the usual competition.

I dunno, I don't think Asus is any worse than anyone else. They make a ton of stuff, some of it is poo poo. They'll do things like establish a branding (like Tuf) that people think indicates quality, and then exploit it by putting trash in the same line. That's not unique to asus at all!

My feeling is that Asus has established enough of a rep for quality at the high end that people have unthinking brand loyalty. They absolutely exploit that. Don't be one of those marks, research what you're buying.

(Also I have an Asus monitor that I've always regretted getting vs the Dell with the same panel. Mine has some dust specks in the diffuser.)

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Good thing I went ahead and splurged on a then-top-of-the-line MSI mobo instead of the Asus Prime X470 I initially planned on using. I'm guessing the expensive ROG Crosshair are the only boards worth buying at this point?

Nah the Prime x470 Pro was fine, at least as far as VRM and stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Some disappointing Zen 3 info. Apparently when AMD put "7nm+" on previous slides about Zen 3... they did not mean TSMC 7+ process, with EUV and all the other changes that go with it. They apparently just meant an "improved version" of 7nm.

Well Intel went into their financial call, sat down, and straight up said "We're finally ready with 10nm and it sucks. Just complete and total rear end. Any questions?"

Soooooo AMD may be sitting back for a moment and holding the process improvement until next year, so they have something good to get people excited about AM5 or whatever the new platform for DDR5 is. If ryzen 4000 was substantially better than 3000, but then 5000 was a very minor improvement, that wouldn't work in their favor.

I'm ok with it, most of what I want from Zen 3 is for a 3700 to go on discount sale before the end of the year.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
An actively cooled chipset sucks, a chipset that only spins a fan when you run a benchmark on the 2nd NVMe drive is whatever.

If you really hate having a fan and don't want SLI videocards, I'd bet that pulling off the flat plate sink and adding a full-height chipset heatsink is a pretty easy mod. Do it like we did with our nForce motherboards in 2005.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't run benchmarks, the box is fully passive idle / office work / coding, etc, except for the chipset fan. It's annoying, the chipset fan is the loudest in it, except when it's really loaded.

They just need a chipset that isn't stereotypically AMD hot.

No, we need to train gamer idiots to stop thinking that non-functional poo poo made completely for appearance sake is cool.

It's a 10 watt chip, it can be cooled by a totally reasonable heatsink. The problem is that motherboards don't have reasonable heatsinks on them, they have metal plates designed to make your PC look like a gun from mass effect or destiny.

Case windows were a mistake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Swapping sinks isn't that easy when they've stacked the m2 connector above the chipset.

Ditch the m2 heatsink plates as well, they're pointless.

(But before doing any of that, try updating your board bios. A couple of the oems have updated their chipset fan curves to be less aggressive.)

e:

pixaal posted:

That thing shouldn't be getting hot enough for the fan to turn on unless you are running a RAID cross the M.2 ports. Something doesn't sound right.

Looking into x570 power, it does have a weird thing where even idle is pretty warm. The x570 generates 7w with no devices plugged in, which is just dumb. Then it goes up to 10w when you max it out.

So if grindcore's board is running the fan at idle it's either one of the boards with the most non-functional of heatsinks, or it just runs the fan needlessly. A lot of x570 boards shipped running their chipset fans all the time even when the chip wasn't hot. Probably they did it so that there wouldn't be a reading of 75C at idle on their "high end" boards. There's a second idiot problem where people will look at any temperature sensor that's above 60 and think it's a problem.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 7, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orcane posted:

And mainboard manufacturers - if you already have a product stack of eg. 10 mainboards from $150 to $600, you can't tell me there was no way to put $10 blocks of metal and heatpipes on a few of the more expensive ones.

Because that $10 could go to a RGB OLED mini-display that shows your CPU temperature and current K/D ratio? That would look totally sick dude, come on!

Cygni posted:

It’s stupid and bad that they went this route. It’s ok to call AMD out on their bad decisions. They ain’t your pal.

It's true, but the bad decisions here are like an onion. AMD made one, mobo makers made one, the trend-chasing public made several, and most of the people who bought x570 just because it had PCIe 4 made one.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 7, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lube banjo posted:

Though I have been having some weird temp issues lately, replaced cpu fan a few times because I can't figure out why I am getting up to 69c just watching a twitch video

Is that maximum or a sustained average? If it's max then just ignore it, it doesn't matter.

Ryzen 2k & 3k have a behavior where they will momentarily boost single-core to max clock using max volts, despite the system nominally being idle and the only 'work' being done is for example moving the mouse around. Even having a monitoring program open will generate micro-spikes (because the CPU boosts to fill the requests for sensor readings ASAP). It's weird and dumb, but that's how the AMD boost algorithm works.

The thing is, this boost can spike the temp quite high no matter what cooler it has. The limits of heat conduction out of the individual core is literally what makes it so hot, not your heatsink or fan. So you will get momentary readings of 69C that vanish as soon as the next reading happens.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lube banjo posted:

Unfortunately 60c+ is sustained. I'm gonna repaste again... Precision boost off, and a -.03125 offset

Ooof, yeah something is wrong between the CPU and heatsink. Repaste, but also look real close at the mounting to see if it was off-axis or had asymmetric pressure. The mount is much easier to mess up than paste.

If your case has an access hole behind the mobo so that the heatsink can be changed without taking it out of the case, it's still very good to at least set the case on its side while putting the heatsink on. Getting the mount right while the weight of the sink is pulling it down on one side is difficult. Best to have the sink sitting straight on the CPU on its own.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orcane posted:

If they're off or spinning slowly enough so you can't hear them they're not actually moving air and any $1 passive cooler could have the same or better effect.

Until you imagine scenario where someone has SLI video cards with big bulky shrouds that block ambient circulation from getting to the heatsink, installed in a bad case that puts RGB intake fans directly behind an unventilated glass panel.

That guy needs a chipset fan.

edit: gently caress the :2f2f: smilie is gone? drat!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 11, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I doubt the process is why the chipset consumes so much power -- Intel went back to 22nm for chipsets for a while there, and were still able to passively cool the things.

I suspect the power issue is:

orcane posted:

IIRC the point of X570 was harvesting Zen 2 IO dies
they didn't have enough engineering time to make the x570 chip power efficient. It was a fast and dirty remake of the IO die into a chipset because AMD had PCIe 4 ready and asmedia didn't. The rush to be first on the market with PCIe 4 was a marketing thing, AMD was beating Intel so they wanted to keep getting in wins. People who bought x570 because PCIe 4 fell for it.

(Also x570 chips aren't literal harvested Zen 2 IO dies. Not sure if that's what you actually meant, or just that they took a bunch of the IO die's layout and copied it. X570 is on 14nm and the zen2 IO chip is 12nm.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember old Intel 775 mobos having massive heatsink assemblies with heatpipes connecting the VRM to the northbridge to the southbridge. I know the 90nm integrated graphics northbridges back then were 25-30W and they were almost all passively cooled.

So idk what AMD is thinking

1. a fan is cheaper than a heatpipe

2. they might have needed to make major changes the PCB layout from previous x470 boards to make room for a heatpipe to snake around and go somewhere useful, which would have been expensive

Seriously the mod to fix this on your own mobo if you have a fan that stays on all the time is the easiest mod in the world. A $5 heatsink and some thermal tape is all you need.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mdxi posted:

New Xbox specs are out, and videos are dropping. There's seemingly not much to say about the Zen2 cores, but there are interesting architectural details about the memory and GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE

quoting myself from the PC building thread

Klyith posted:

So for anyone who has been debating the 3600 vs 3700 for upcoming games or worrying that 6 cores won't be enough, you can worry no more.

Microsoft has revealed more of the hardware specs of the series X, and the CPU has some interesting differences from desktop Ryzens. There's no boost clock, and the CPU has only two settings: 3.6 GHz all-core, or 3.8 GHz all-core with SMT disabled (ie 8 core / 8 thread). Microsoft says they expect most games to opt for that second setting for more clock speed. Additionally the system reserves one full core (so 2 threads when in SMT mode) for the OS same as the bone did.

So a 3600
a) has plenty of threads for upcoming console ports, and
b) will out-perform the console CPU on most games, because boost clock on one or two cores will be more important for performance in games for a while yet.

and yes, they used the right ram

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Incorrect. MSI’s boards all have BIOS Flashback, making them good for 3000 whether MAX or not. The main advantage of MAX is that it runs a wider variety of CPUs; they removed the instruction sets for old Bulldozer CPUs that ran AM4. Buying Max is purely a “who knows what we’ll have to remove next time so better safe than sorry” thing.

The non-Max versions of the boards which got Max releases have to use the non-GUI version of their BIOS to use 3000 series Ryzens, because they used 16MB cmos chips that couldn't fit the CPU support *and* a bad gui with racecar pictures. It's not a huge deal, but the Lite BIOS does lose the graphical fan curve settings so controlling fan speeds is more annoying.

That's what arcane meant by "they hosed up".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

give me thread posted:

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but as I've been eyeing an upgrade to a Ryzen, here goes anyway.

I was wondering how are you guys controlling your fan speeds these days? I am a bit specific with having a quiet box for audio work, so currently control my CPU and chassis fans with SpeedFan with my own speed/temp profile graph to make sure they don't chug until temperatures are well above normal. Is SpeedFan still a good solution nowadays or is there some better software to look for?

If it helps I'm going to be getting the ASRock X570M - the mATX version. I think these mobos come with A-Tuner or whatever, has anyone had any experiences?

SpeedFan is alas dead, it hasn't been updated in 5 years and doesn't support any current mobos.

Motherboard bios control of fans is the way to go. They all have software control centers that come with, but those are always bloat crap that you'd rather not keep running all the time if you can help it.

Asrock does not always have the full graphical speed control in BIOS on their mobos, but it looks like the x570m does.

However, you should maybe consider just using a b450 -- the asrock x570m is a lot of extra money for little benefit.

sincx posted:

Not a huge fan of the 80s disco aesthetic (the LEDs on the board constantly change colors), but whatever.
You can turn the RGB lights off entirely in the bios, or set them to something other than disco mode with Asus's Aura software.

sincx posted:

Or should I be happy that I'm getting 3200/CL14 on 4 sticks of dual rank memory?
I'd be pretty happy with that!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 17, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

give me thread posted:

Blimey really?

My main concern is with b450 I'll need to flash bios, but I don't have a way of doing that before installing the CPU. Unless that's irrelevant?

If "blimey" means you live in the UK or something, you can get the MSI b450 Mortar Max and be 100% sure you won't have to flash the bios. It's also one of the best mATX boards around, and MSI not selling in the US is a huge bummer because it makes recommending matx much harder.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

A desktop version of the zen2+apu is supposed to be out soon right? I'm stuck in my house and for the first time in forever feel like upgrading a PC

Not for a while, the mobile version is just coming to market now and the desktop is gonna be a year later.

There just aren't many customers who who specifically want a Ryzen desktop CPU with iGPU, and also care about performance enough to bother about which version of Zen they get.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 19, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Zen2 APU are not a year away in all likelihood, it is the same die as the mobile parts which just got announced so it’s already in production.

There was a 6 month gap between the launches on Zen+, due to laptop being more profitable. By that timeline, it would be around September. Although a lot of the rumors were that they would come out at the same time as B550/A520, which is supposedly coming earlier in the summer.

Oh drat I misread an anandtech article that was saying consistent 1 year delays, for the desktop to first mobile. Not mobile to mobile-in-desktop-packaging.

OTOH Renoir is getting traction in actual good laptops finally, so I guess it depends on demand? Lot of potential weirdness from the 'roni, maybe good laptops are in high demand because everyone is working from home, maybe laptops aren't being made because factories are shut down.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Evil Robot posted:

How hosed am I running a 3900X on a $80 mobo? Wasn't planning on OCing but I'm hoping it's stable at stock and can sometimes hit those boost clocks.

If you're not planning on OCing you're not hosed at all.

Amps * volts = watts. So a board that can deliver 100A with no airflow means the processor is consuming 120-130 watts. Assuming that the B450m Pro4 would have a yellow 'some airflow' box at 125A, that's as much power as a stock 3900X will ever pull. If you are watercooling the CPU you might want to rig a low-speed fan to move air around the VRM heatsinks, and otherwise just have adequate ventilation for the case as a whole.

Be careful with PBO (don't turn it on and set everything to 999) and you'll be fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deanut Pancer posted:

Could you... just remove the shelf? That would gain you a good bit more height. You don't seem to have anything on it.
Or just drill another higher rung of holes for the shelf mounts, to raise the shelf?

No, lower the shelf. Then put the PC on the shelf on its side, so the usb ports etc on top become conveniently accessible to a person sitting at the desk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ItBreathes posted:

there was some hooplah about them not hitting their rated speed a while back

redeyes posted:

Most i've seen is around 4.4Ghz.

short version: If you get a weak chip, it only hits the rated single-core boost speed for a tiny fraction of a second during the crazy max-boost that ryzens do when going from idle to load. Turn your polling speed up to 100ms on hwinfo64 and wiggle your mouse around on an idle desktop to see a very useless 4.6ghz being achieved.

The 3900X is probably the worst for this because there's only 1 SKU of the 12 core, so they can't bin them for speed. I guess if they can't hit 4.6 they'd have to disable an entire chiplet and sell it as a 3700? IDK if that even works. So it's probably the worst Ryzen for getting technically not false advertising boost clocks.