Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

mdxi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBTmXWEHvY

In which buildzoid gets excited about A520 boards.

They really missed out by not naming it the A420.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Considering that x570 motherboards are the same price or only a few bucks more expensive than b550, I can’t find any reason one would get a 550 over a 570.
The cheapest B550 sold by Newegg is USD 81 while the cheapest X570 board is USD 160 (excluding refurbished items). If you get a very spec'ed out B550 with good voltage regulators, you can easily reach the USD 300, so there's certainly some overlap between the two chipsets. But the highest end X570 boards are more expensive than that, and have even more devices.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

We have a whole thread of more or less ridiculous water cooling https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786165

I'm not sure how useful this is on Ryzen processors at the moment, since even aggressive overclocking doesn't really bring out much more performance than the stock performance, and seems more limited by power delivery than cooling.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

If the frequency limit remains in the next generation of Ryzen, then more cores or architectural improvements are the way to increase performance, right?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Even some of the stock coolers for Ryzen CPUs come with RGB on them. During the covid-related shortages, I almost got RGB RAM, because it was the only RAM that was on the qualification list and was available on any on the Norwegian web stores; but then I found some sticks with identical modules which wasn't listed (different SKU), but it worked exactly like the RGB RAM and was cheaper.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The Chinese and Russian government are fine with running 22 nm or above as long as they have full control over the silicon. A lack of power efficiency is made up by just making more units and shoveling more coal into the power stations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

An Amiga with a harddrive was the fastest booting graphical computer I'd ever seen until SSDs became the norm. Makes sense since much of the GUI is in the firmware, and the window manager was optionally loaded from floppies. Those computers were so ridiculously ahead of their time both in hardware architecture and OS architecture. Even now I think you need to use the quick boot feature in Windows 10 to be faster.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Is there any evidence that AMD has problems with fabrication yields on their console chips, or are we just basing this on 4000 series APUs not being available to the enthusiast market? If that's true, that would have implications for the new AMD GPUs too, right?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The Titan Vega is the ultimate GPU.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Raja mountain bikes to the stage. Remember, AMD is in the mountain bike business now too.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

derBauer looks at the cache of an AMD and Intel CPU with an electron microscope and reminds us that the silicon process node names do not directly reflect the size of the features of the semi-conductors. Neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQUXpZpLXI

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

System integrators: "Hey guys, we need you to label some of the B450 boards as B550-A so our customers will buy them, because higher number is better."

Asus: "B450 is super popular. Time to make B450 II."

Honestly except for the lack of built-in Wifi I might have gone for one of the B450 II boards. 2.5 Gbps ethernet has been a bit spotty in terms of driver support.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd say it's unlikely that we'll get a 6xx series motherboard,
We might get a B650-A chipset though. It's just B550 re-branded for system integrators.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

bent CPU pins are more repairable than bent socket pins
2:35 RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlL0nTYAvD0

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I don't know if it's purely anecdotal, but I found the paste to be softer when I run the CPU hot before removing it. This isn't much of an option with a dead CPU or motherboard though, and I don't know if it's purely a function of age and formula.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

^^^: Maybe on mineral oil cooling or other exotic cooling. Or 20k RPM server fans blasting the CPU.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the lever-tension method is so much better, but that's what you get when you're using cheap DeepCool and Snowman coolers

I once came across a Wraith Prism stock cooler which was only hanging on by one clip, and gravity was the only force holding it to the CPU on the other end. User hadn't complained about performance, and the noise wasn't annoying when using headphones.

Vir fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2020

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I never understood the "I hate ketchup and mustard cables" mindset. If you want to see the insides of your computer, why NOT make it look like a prison TV? Otherwise just get a black/white case and cover it in glitter or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

:siren: Stream is starting. Counting down now.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AanO3Axzk

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Gamers Nexus just got the latest AMD product, delivered today: https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1314338892355694599 It is the AMD branded mountain bike.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't Zen 4 suppose to be the "big" upgrade?

Yes, new silicon node. Zen 3 is using the same node and IO, mainly moving to 8 cores per CCX instead of 4, it seems like.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Cygni posted:

By AMD's determination, they considered Zen->Zen2 an evolution step in the actual architectural design of the cores (obviously everything else was changed), Zen 3 the big arch leap forward, and Zen 4 is another evolution.

But like Vir pointed out, its moving to a new process and will have a new IO die (with DDR5+PCIe5). The downside is that it wont be around until 2022, and it seems like Zen3+ is real and going to fill the gap.

Yeah I might be over-emphasizing the new node - it is a big move for them, but might not give much more performance. Architecure is important. Look at the GPUs where Nvidia has a better architecture and drivers than AMD, which so far more than makes up for AMD advantage of being on TSMC 7nm.

Also a reminder that 14nm is not twice as big and twice as power hungry as 7nm, since silicon feature size and node name no longer correspond like they used to do in the past
https://www.techpowerup.com/272489/intel-14-nm-node-compared-to-tsmcs-7-nm-node-using-scanning-electron-microscope

Cygni posted:

Nope, no new motherboards (...yet? but no new boards even rumored at the moment)

"New" board SKUs of B550 and X570 with a new Zen3-ready Bios and maybe some small improvements, but no new chipsets. e:fb

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

DrDork posted:

Getting a stale-stock B550 with your new 5800X only to find it won't boot is gonna be hilarious.
Same as getting a new A520 board and expecting to pop a second hand 2600 in it - depending on what the motherboard manufacturer does, CPUs older than Zen 2 might not work in boards with Bios for Zen2 and Zen 3, as I understand.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

quote:

AMD only provides drivers for Windows 10, meaning the AMD 4700S isn't compatible with prior versions of Windows, much less Linux.
:frogout: This would have been a nice little machine to run Linux on. Perhaps they'll make drivers later?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Got a 5600G that keeps crashing on heavy AVX processing. It's running in an Asus B-550 PLUS motherboard (BIOS 2423), and the RAM (F4-3600C16D-16GTZN) is on the qual list. Memtest86+ shows no errors even with XMP (DOCP) on, but the crashing happens even with RAM on default speed. No PBO or other changes enabled. I'll try upgrading the BIOS to 2604 or failing that downgrading to 1804 and see if it fixes it.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Vir posted:

I'll try upgrading the BIOS to 2604 or failing that downgrading to 1804 and see if it fixes it.
None of this helped. Increasing memory voltage didn't do anything either. Guess I'll have to try RMA'ing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Vir posted:

None of this helped. Increasing memory voltage didn't do anything either. Guess I'll have to try RMA'ing it.
Issue solved - didn't have to RMA it. I re-installed the OS again and applied some new updates, so either I got some new microcode for the 5600G or the issue was software related after all, even if it seemed to work with the 3600. The 5600G has been running OK for a over week now.