Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you have an 1x00X processor, the latest version of Ryzen Master will give you correct temperature readings.

Upgraded from 0605 to 0609 on my ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS and it stopped booting, lol.

I'm assuming it's an issue specific to being on 0605 and going directly to 0609 without first upgrading to 0606, which I did not notice when I downloaded 0609.

Contacted ASUS support on Saturday, no reply yet. Have exhausted all avenues of "fixing" this one, CMOS Reset, CMOS Reset + Battery Removal, and the Ctrl+Alt+Del Reset+Power process. Can't even get it to post to boot into a DVD or autodetect bios firmware on fat32 thumb drive. Also tried swapping out memory/gpu just to verify individual things still functioned in other machines.

Amazon was really cool about it and I'll have a replacement here tomorrow morning, they also let me return both sets of ram I purchased weeks after the return window w/ no additional charges.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm extremely lazy: is it possible to remove the heatsink/pump and processor together without having to re-apply paste? I have some handy regardless but it hadn't occurred to me until now that I could do even less

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I already have a razor blade / lint free wipes / 97% iso ready to go from the surgery we did on my 2600k :rip:, it just seemed more realistic with the way these screw in in compared to the intel brackets v0v

Edit/Quote for new page

Even if they had managed to ship rock solid motherboards and known good memory on day one I don't think it would have made a difference. I'd imagine they anticipate coming back in a big way with ~vega~ (try not to laugh), the "super processors" they were hinting at WRT combining vega and ryzen would be :allears: so dandy. I could't imagine paying $1100 for an Intel processor, but I would easily spend that much for a 2nd gen Ryzen + Vega w/ 8-16GB of HBM2 onboard.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 2, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I used to just use coffee filters until I found these 'tissues' made out of the same thing. I couldn't imagine using these as actual tissues, though

e:f;b

Yea, 99% iso is an industry standard. I kind of want to try deoxyIT and see how that works, but it's not like iso does a particularly bad job. If you're worried about deposits, just breathe on it after you've wiped, the condensation should be enough to evaporate what is left.

vvv I'd like to personally apologize for being all 0.15% of AMD's losses last month, I was playing cake champions beta instead of steam titles vvv

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 2, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Board has Crashfree 3 tech. Have you tried the Manuals Directions and rename the bios file before you tried booting with it?

Next time I will be sure to re-type the entire procedure verbatim so you know I tried it :rolleyes: What else could "exhausted all avenues" mean

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Reading the original post would have worked instead of being an rear end in a top hat :rolleyes:

Transplant successful, dead one shipped back to Amazon along with the 4x8GB CL16-3200. They were pretty cool about returning it for full refund even though I missed the return cutoff by a few weeks. This board flashes back and forth between 0605 and 0609 without issue, I'm not sure why the other one died. It's still new enough to be at the early/high point of the bathtub curve, so maybe it just decided it was time to move on from this world?

I've been seeing that some people have been having trouble getting their 2x16GB anything to clock over 2133 with the PRIME B350-PLUS (and most likely other boards), the "trick" to that is to figure out which slots correspond with each channel, and only use one stick per channel. If you try to use both sticks on the same channel it will have to use a 2T command rate. Going against what everyone generally tells you to do and using separate channels will allow the dual rank ram to run at 1T CR w/ slightly looser timings (Try 18-18-18-36 or even 40/42, work your way downwards). IE if slots 1-2 are A, and slots 3-4 are B, put them in slots 1-3 instead of 1-2 or 2-3. Higher ram/soc voltages shouldn't be needed, but are worth trying if you're desperate, as is disabling fast boot supposedly. I am solid at 2933 without any of those things using either 0605 or 0609.

I don't really have a legitimate use for 64GB of ram yet, so I have no idea what happens if you stick another set in. These speeds might be something that aren't possible until we have single rank 16GB DDR4.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Is the new geometry pipeline/draw stream binning rasterizer stuff only for Vega or does that also apply to the APUs?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Raven Ridge is using Vega tech so all the features should be included. That along with DDR4 *should* be enough.

Even if the DDR4 is using 1.35v for DOCP, that will still be ~0.15 less than GDDR5 (which is typically >1.5v right?). Does that result in a direct translation to ~10% less overall power usage?

That by itself would take you from 75W to 67.5W, I don't see 50W as being an unreasonable target.

Can't remember if anyone mentioned this but: :siren: http://ryzen.online is really nice. Just pick which board you have, and it will email you a notification when they push new files. I used a unique address when I signed up, and have not received any other spam/messages yet either, which is sadly a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately it's only for ASUS and GIGABYTE, but still very nice.

ASUS has been going nuts updating all of their QVL lists, I'm assuming this is in preparation for AGESA 1.0.0.6 and the new memory dividers?

A few companies have already pushed out beta updates that only have the incoming new memory dividers up to 4000mhz, early forum posts seem promising. It's not clear if the new AGESA is also present, but if it is, they forgot to update the version string. The last time this happened we had official/stable releases the next day.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

0612 is available for the B350M-A and X370-Pro.

They're p hard to find on ASUS website right now, the links will eventually show up under all language/system options. The B350-PLUS link appeared briefly and then stopped working? Changelog seems to be their default "Improve System Stability".

Ran strings on both, seem to still use AGESA 1.0.0.4a. No idea what else has changed. Is there a productive way to diff these?

E: So far the most performant bios is still the 0605 beta with AGESA 1.0.0.5. I'd really like to know what we've giving up by sticking to this for now, though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Looks like 0613 is here for the B350-PLUS.

Same as the others, AGESA 1.0.0.4a

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Seeing some hold Intel releasing ThunderBolt 3 to the industry as a sign that we'll see Ryzen packages with it soon for MacBooks?

I want MOBILE THREADRIPPER, Xcode and all that…

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Theris posted:

I hope AMD realizes that any product with names like those has to come in a box featuring a poorly CGI'd warrior lady in bikini armor.

I miss those :smith:

This is terrible, imagine how much better it would be if the robot had boobs

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just screenshot Firestrike!

You better not be taking pictures of my girlfriend!!!!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

When do we find out how much THREADRIPPER costs? My wallet is whimpering in the corner after that $2k i9 announcement

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Really though, is there any reason to actually be concerned about them using two Vega cards for the Prey demo? Everyone seems to have forgotten the "drivers still aren't ready and they're just emulating fiji" defense that was so popular when those janky numbers leaked

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

rip and tear

I haven't even ordered anything else yet. Had enough fun with the 1800X ordering multiples of things and keeping the combo that sucked the least.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I don't even have any other parts yet, going to be waiting until the 18th at least.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

While some of them are locked into Thunderbolt already, the major audio stuff I've seen always comes with either a USB variant or a PCI card variant on top of Thunderbolt.

Was just in a studio yesterday where everything was using cat7/"10g" for interconnect, the other option was fiber :eyepop:

fake e:fb

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

redeyes posted:

I wonder what kind of DPC latency Threadripper mobos have. Audio people surely would want to know.

Audio people are going nuts for even the base 1700s. Prior to the AGESA update that fixed the IOMMU and sleep bugs, it was really bad (like 80-200 to even 700 in some cases, for whatever reason), but now you can find plenty of tests from 1600-1800X with 20-70ms using AISO on most any board. The B350's seem to be preferential to the 370s, like the "feature boards" lend themselves more readily to configuration errors with their fancy audio chipset/drivers?

I've had a few producer friends stop by and try to make this 1800X sweat with MaxMSP/Ableton, it's a challenge to even use more than 50%, even with several notoriously hungry VSTs at the same time. Like who the gently caress is going to record 128 tracks at the same time?? It wasn't until we also started also doing VJ poo poo that we started hearing some crackling / buffer underruns, at 85-90% utilization. This was at 4.2ghz/1.45v w/ 2x16 DDR4-3000, using two UMC404HD's for 2x(2x2 stereo) recording/processing input at 24/96, and also pulling in 2x720p60 & 1x1080p60 video feeds while encoding a 720p60 stream @ 3000kbps/fast preset of all 3 webcams + desktop + master audio out. Also had two other MacBooks using ableton's sync thing to match up clocks, they were expecting that to die real quick but it never puked once. I'm on one of those AX370-Gaming 5's or whatever now, was careful not to install the audio drivers or the "fatality KILLER NIC" bullshit.

I have a feeling it would actually go quite a bit further, especially if you had additional NVMe drives in raid, and maybe spent some time micromanaging which apps are running on which cores.

I've seen a few posts that indicate firmware updates for AGESA 1.0.0.7(?) are a ways out, and not to expect firmware updates for at least a month. Here's to hoping they're solid out of the gate, as this is one of the things I'm waiting for other people to figure out before I buy a motherboard. :ohdear:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Unless you're constantly writing terabytes of data to your Samsung SSDs every day, you're not going to see any Samsung SSD die unless there's been some catastrophic failure/mishap that would be covered under warranty.

SSDs are hilariously over-provisioned. That test from 2014? Link. showed that it took ~300TB of wear on the smaller 840 EVOs before hash checks started failing, yet didn't fully die until somewhere around 800TB (!). They started in June 2014, and it took until March 2015 for the last of the drives to die.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

TomR posted:

Putting the TIM on the CPU before it's in the socket is like standing up to wipe.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Apparently 14+ is turning into 12nm for both vega and ryzen? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-vega-12nm-lp-2018,35502.html

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Corsair has finally confirmed that they will implement support for the 20C offset in Corsair Link soon

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

3.8@1.325 is also where my OC ended up. I hit 3.5 on stock voltage 3.7 took 1.285 or 1.29. Jumping over 3.6 is where you start having to volt pretty significantly. That said 1.35 is completely safe and 1.4 is where you start to hit the 'chip will degrade over time maybe probably' voltage. I haven't tried pushing beyond 3.8 because....meh is that extra 100 or 200 mhz going to be worth the effort? Granted bragging about 4.0 might be.

As long as you're keeping it properly cooled there's nothing wrong with going right up to 1.45, only way you're going to see 3.9+

FWIW, people tell me I have a 'nice 1800X', it goes to 4075 @ 1.45, hits about 65C max

Looks like Corsair Link finally updated to remove the 20C temperature offset! No more staring at 82.2C wondering if it's really 62

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Pinnacle sounds like a tennis ball brand or something. I wonder if they'll hit 4500mhz

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I really hope that the Pinnacle 1800X (1801X? 2800X? How will that work 🤔) hits ~4400mhz @ < 1.4v, and maybe does something useful with >3666mhz DDR4

I've never paid attention before, do timings usually tighten down over time? AFAICT most of the >3600mhz DDR4 is CL18+

Edit: Saw this over on r/amd, :ohdear: HOW

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 6, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't even play games on console. I just want "the human eye can't see faster than 24 fps" to die, is that too much to ask? :shrug:

I wish everyone demanded 240hz monitors instead of looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell them the jump from 144>240 is as noticeable as the jump from 60>144.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

i'm sorry but that's loving mental

It really isn't. It's good you're sorry though it's not good to call people that. In all seriousness it's a 1.67x improvement over 144hz. When you eventually experience it for yourself, you'll feel silly for having said this, I promise.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm not saying I think you're crazy.... but I think a blind A-B experiment should be set up with multiple pairs of identical monitors running at different maximum refresh rates should be done to prove your assertion.

Everyone I've had over agrees the difference is immediately obvious. It's not unlike half wearing a VR headset and just looking at the screens, only those have just a bit more latency.

FWIW, I was skeptical myself until I had multiple friends go to Quakecon and play on 240hz monitors. Their "butt dyno" reviews were what convinced me it was time to upgrade. I originally intended to hold out until we had the bandwidth for 10bit 144hz but that seems to be a ways off yet.

A few friends have been like "what? No that's stupid" and then I'm like "no really, move the mouse" and they react like they just touched the chrome goop in the matrix. Just an immediate "whoa! okay yeah wow" (I am known for sometimes loving around so their initial skepticism is warranted)

In a humorous/awesome twist of fate, Amazon actually sent me two AW2518hf's. I paid for the fast shipping and Fedex hosed up so they sent another one UPS and never cancelled the Fedex shipment which showed up a bit later. I am almost tempted to just get a 3rd, but there are too many issues with multimon 240hz freesync around capturing/streaming, so the 2nd one is off most of the time.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I definitely agree, prior to 240hz existing I prioritized dot pitch and color accuracy over everything else, and was really happy with Dell's 25" 1440p. Having to compromise was pretty painful, but the color accuracy of this panel is surprisingly good. It's still obviously a TN when you're looking at it from some hilariously oblique angle, but otherwise it's not like you're sacrificing 20% of the SRGB space or anything wild anymore.

IIRC we don't have 1440p@240hz for the same reason that we don't have 10 bit 1080p@144hz, we need to wait for a displayport cable/standard that actually has enough bandwidth to carry that kind of signal.

Apparently PCI-E 4.0's 1.0 spec just got finalized, so the future isn't that far off (I'm not sure if this is one of the limitations but I am assuming doubling the available bandwidth is one of the prerequisites)

Edit: also wanted to say that the bigger pixels are important for serious shootmans

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 29, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

If you haven't even used a proper 144hz freesync/gsync monitor I'm not sure why you are even offering your opinion on high refresh rate displays :rolleyes: quite literally just theorycrafting when you could spend a few hundred dollars and stop lying to yourself

Measly Twerp posted:

If you use your gaming PC for any kind of graphical work a TN panel is still complete garbage. As a web developer it can cause me to simply not be able to see something in my implementation of a graphical design, it can make solid background colours appear as a slight gradient. It doesn't matter that others on a TN panel probably wont notice all of the flaws because you bet your arse that the designer is on a Mac and can see everything just fine.

72% NTSC == 99% SRGB yea? I understand your hatred for the general performance of TN panels but this is actually quite serviceable. I have this right next to my U2518D, and I find that I prefer this screen more often than not. The only thing that actually makes either screen look bad are the D3 displays on my MBP/iPad/iPhone

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess the other thing is that at least with a 24" TN panel you aren't getting as much color shift at the edges as you do with a 27" TN panel. That was my only real complaint on the S2716DG, you had to keep your head relatively still, if you slid around a couple inches you could see the corners start to shift.

I have to be sitting uncomfortably close (like t-rex arms on the keyboard/mouse) and bend myself over my armrests to start to discolor the far side of the screen. I wouldn't have bought it if I felt it was going to be a serious compromise based on the stats, but I am definitely inclined to agree with all of the 9/10 reviews. Prior to this I just had some garbo $200 Niexus so I acutely aware of how bad it can really be.

Generic Monk posted:

i've been lying to myself all this time, you're right. i am actually gay for frametimes

You're definitely something, going around calling people mental off inherently wrong assumptions

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

With the PCI-E 4 1.0 spec finalized, does that mean the Electromechanical Specification isn't far off? We already know for sure the additional IO isn't important to gpu performance, but being able to pull more power through the slot might be useful.

brainwrinkle posted:

We are all very impressed by your 240 Hz monitor in the AMD CPU and Platform thread.

Freesync is an AMD brand, friend. Welcome to the thread, thanks for your contribution.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:negative: gently caress

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Do you have the chipset drivers installed with the amd power plan?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah I am using the latest drivers and the latest firmware. Well, after disabling SMT and other bells & whistles in the BIOS, the system seems to be reasonably stable - even though yesterday it did crap out on me for no reason while I was in the midst of writing a SA post. :negative:

You probably don't want to hear this, but just RMA both the board and the processor. You shouldn't have to do those things to have a stable system, oc or no.

I'm assuming you're not doing anything silly like reusing an ancient power supply

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Does he say which firmware he's running on/which ones hes tried? IIRC ASUS has pushed multiple beta and maybe even a release firmware update out with hilariously unsafe defaults (like 1.8v SOC!!!) They? or maybe another company also recently pushed out older fw with a new name.

Every time you update fw it's important to double check voltages, they aren't the only company to have made the 1.8v soc mistake. Never saw anything official about this but it was supposedly the result of some sort of reference versioning mismatch from AMD

Also, my 2x16 CL153000 Corsair LPX (SK Hynix) happily runs at 16/22/22/22/53 3200 with the latest fw on this AX370 Gaming 5. I was going way out of my way trying to lock something down with that ryzen timing calculator, turns out you can just turn XMP off, set the frequency to 3200, leave all of the timings to auto, and only adjust ProcODT/SOC/DRAM voltages (80/1.125/1.4)

I have 4x8 CL163200 Corsair in my Monero box that I will swap out and try later, some people have gotten two of these to 3600.

Was skeptical of the benefit, but jumping from 2933 to 3200 was good for 550 points on Firestrike Combined. Max framerates haven't changed all that much, but worst case minimums are ~7.5% higher. I feel like I said the exact same thing when I jumped from 2666 to 2933. I'm lowkey impressed they managed to get ram compatibility to this point only a year in

I had originally chosen the Gaming 5 because it's like, one of 3 boards with a clock generator, but Gigabyte still hasn't given us access to it via firmware :sigh:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

ufarn posted:

I think he reviews hardware and writes about tech so I'd assume he'd at least have updated firmware and such. It's pretty crazy that ASUS firmware is bricking CPUs like that anyway; I thought they were the safest choice for AM4, but I might give ASRock another look now.

I'm not sure he's justified in blaming ASUS. The 2nd fw he installed was a beta so I would say ultimately that's on him. You can find a lot of posts like this , mentioning "Elmor from ASUS" sharing fw updates via Mediafire and no checksum (lol) coupled with bad advice from enthusiasts like a 1.25v SOC. If you dig up ASUS's original Ryzen Overclocking guide, they specifically say not to go past 1.2v SOC for this reason, as does everyone else. That's not specific to BIOS 3008, just an example of the critical instructions from an employee vs forums telephone game snake oil vs established safe limits at work here. Who does he write for?

I'm totally down with a "launch checklist" to confirm norms when I flash a beta bios, but having to read through forum posts to figure out which voltages to lock in to prevent harmful auto settings sounds like a really lovely way to gamble for a few percent perf increase. The specific bios he installed doesn't even offer any tangible benefits to him, the AGESA update was for APU compatability!

That AMD still RMA'd it a second time is pretty cool, IMO that is somewhat of an admission that perhaps they did provide an outdated/incorrect reference resulting in various voltage fuckups. I know ASUS wasn't alone in this, but I do think they were the most popular because they had the best early x370 availability, so it's the squeakiest wheel.

All that said, ASUS also murdered my B350 Prime or whatever with a bad firmware update around launch. Wasn't even a matter of checking voltages, it ate itself before it could finish flashing. They sent me a second board without even asking for the first one back! That was the biggest motivator behind me getting the Gigabyte Gaming 5, if it continues to fail to post after trying a cmos reset it will kick itself over to try the 2nd bios automatically.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 4, 2018

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

My understanding of motherboards right now is...

ASUS: Okay until they bricked boards, I guess.
MSI: Never updates anything.
Gigabyte: Melted systems at first but has really good Newegg ratings so assume they're not going to repeat that incident.
ASRock: Nice but nowhere near the value they used to be.

Going to say people make it sound like B350 is only $10 more than A320 but it's really more like $20-30. If it was $10 I would get one. I may go for ASRock A320 but will try to spring for Gigabyte B350 if I can. I have a personal affinity for MSI after owning one of their GPUs but people seem to hate them, and the APU models will require an upgrade they seem intent to not bother with.

ASRock is also really slow to release firmware updates.

I wouldn't worry too much between brands, IMO the most important thing is the number of VRM phases. There's a decent temperature/stability difference between 8 and 10/12 phase

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do gigabyte make anything compelling enough that it's worth the effort?

They make one of the 5 or 6 boards with 10/12 phase VRM and a clock generator (I think it's any of their X370 boards but double check first). Can confirm they own bones for hackintosh

Nobody seems to like their X399 stuff, I know I'm not the only one waiting for better offerings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Do you actually use the KILLER NIC? I found it to be an endless source of issues, disabled it and only use the Intel port now.