Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Hello, I had a bit of a mishap removing my amd wraith prism cooler off my 3700x, the whole cpu came with it and some of the cpu pins were bent.

I managed to get them straight and socket the cpu back but one of pins was slightly bent from the very tip making it a bit shorter than the other pins, do the pins need to go all the way back to make contact to work? It does boot fine and finds all my memory also so I don't see an immediate problem with it at least, I'd rather not fiddle with the pins any more in fear of breaking one(not even sure how to straighten just the end of a pin without bending the whole pin)

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

CyberPingu posted:

Fyi, I've had this happen a couple of times with the wraith prism and the trick is to run the PC for a while. Even run a benchmark or something to heat up the paste, then shutdown and remove the block. This gives the paste time to loosen up a bit and not bind

Yeah I read about this method after I did it(apparently its a common thing with the stock paste atleast)in any case I'm on my way to buy another cooler and after that I'll do some stress test on the cpu and just hope it'll work for a year or two still.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Just to update i did get the pins straightened out but the motherboard was done for(it broke the plastic part where the cpu is seated on the motherboard)

Anyways the cpu seems to be working fine now, i couldn't get the pins completely straight but it did socket in and im seeing no issues(all 4 memory slots working at dual-channel)