Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I think I posted about this before, but I got me a monster of a dinosaur AMD FX 9590 cpu (lol) that I successfully undervolted/underclocked? so it can work on my mobo. Ok, so, now that amd released some budget ryzens I was wondering if I should go the new route or try to buy a mobo that successfully supports my my watt monster of a cpu? Anyone have any experience with the new ryzens 3s?

Pros of staying: I only need a mobo that actually supports the 220w cpu

Cons: Alot of the mobos are no longer made and the ones that are are kinda pricey for an am3+. Why pay $200 for an old mobo when I can get a new am4+ ?

Pros of switching: Well I'd have all new hardware that isn't ancient.

Cons: I'd need to buy a mobo, ram, and a cpu

I actually bought a mobo off of S.A Mart but I can not for the life of me get it to boot up. Nothing. Maybe I fried it on accident? Maybe it was bunk from the git go idk. I aint looking for 4k gaming here. But I am def not getting the full power of my set up and games work fine, but I aint getting many frames in say Call of Duty. It can chug sometimes during warzone. It runs at 30fps but thats not ideal for that game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm yes yes the ol switcharoo !

But anyways, anyone have experience with the Ryzens 3s? I heard good things, but if i'm going to build new i'd rather not have to do it again so soon after. I mean, I know in this world getting 6 years out of a computer is decent.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hasturtium posted:

Shorty, don’t do it. I sold my FX-8320 and jumped to a Ryzen 1700 in early 2017 and never looked back. Selling the 9590 and whatever motherboard and CPU you have and building even a vanilla Ryzen 3600 will blow your head off. Speaking as someone who has a soft spot for the construction cores, investing anything into one is Not Smart in 2020. Don’t get a 990FX board out of nostalgia or a feeling of loyalty. It’s a tool, and it’s profoundly outmoded now.

Don't sell or don't not sell :thunk:

Klyith posted:

Investing any money whatsoever into Athlon FX platforms in 2020 is a mistake.

The only thing that's good about it is the 8 cores means it doesn't fall over in recent games that dislike 4c CPUs, so there are places where it can outperform a 2600k or whatever. But it's not good.

OTOH:

This suggests to me that your video card is choked, because a 9590 can still keep ~60fps in battlefield 5 and codblops 4. Though I guess it depends on how much you had to underclock it. If you're running it at like 3ghz to not burn out your mobo that would definitely be the reason. But I think you're probably also running too high res / detail for your system.

Long story short; it was a budget option for me at the time ($80 cpu) and the charts read that it out preformed ryzen 3s at the time. Point is I did zero research here oops.

Fake edit: it runs many games like a dream! Call of duty is usually set to low so i can maximize frames but geforce experience alyways wants to set it to ultra. Which i def can do but its a choppy mess. 25-60fps massive drops blah blah ect ect

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 30, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Statutory Ape posted:

lol please link the charts

was this on a space heater fan site?

:shrug: guess i compared it to first gen ryzens idk

https://www.fxisbetterthanryzenz.org.gov

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008