Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PerrineClostermann posted:

The 1080 is not mid tier

1070 wasnt at launch either considering it was matching the high tier 980ti. It still isnt really mid tier if you consider the whole lineup on both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

The $330 970 was perhaps their best selling card ever though, it's been #1 on the steam hardware survey for ages. What defines mid-tier?

My understanding it that the card that most closely matches the average performance of both companies current line up is the mid tier.

Just about everything from AMD is low to mid and nvidia is generally speaking low to high.

I would call the rx580 4gb and 1060 3gb mid tier

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 21, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one issue is that most of us are enthusiasts and view tiering entirely different to the mass market.

A solid 60fps at 1080p is a premium experience to most people. I figure many of us, me included consider something like 120fps gsync at 1440p the minimum i would be willing to accept because im not willing to downgrade to a lesser setup once I have experienced the nice stuff

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 21, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I actually believe that 1080p60 should be the absolute minimum, and that's where I base my scaling from. Consoles have been trying to promise 1080p for god knows how long now, and they're still continuing to fail at it. They need to get with the times, they're holding everyone back.

its probably not going to happen, instead they will fail at 4k30fps while being able to do 1080p60fps but not offering it anymore.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, those are the things I am talking about. I saw them when I went to go see if they had updated brackets and poo poo for AM4. As part of their featureset, they come with all-aluiminum radiators and waterblocks to zero the possibility of electrolytic corrosion as well.

I haven't seen any videos on it yet, but I figure if anyone would have done a video on it by now, it'd be Jayz.

jayz did make a video. Its not as good as full copper (obviously) but still puts up solid watercooling specs. The value is really high, but does anyone else make aluminum blocks if you wanted to expand the loop?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im doing a new build with a 1600 and a gigabyte x370 k5 that i got a screaming deal on at microcenter.
The primary use will be gaming. I remember reading about ram speed being pretty important on ryzen. Where does it stop being worth it? Do I pay the extra $20 for 3000 over 2666 or does it not matter enough?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

3200ish is the magical spot where it slows down substantially, the difference between 3200 and 3400 or 3600 absolutely ins't worth the stupid high cost of those kits.

Related question, does the same thing apply to Intel? I already have 16 gb of pretty nice 3200 in my Intel system. If it's not as important there I can move it to my new ryzen build and then buy cheaper lower speed ram to replace it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cygni posted:

Yeah, i hiiiiiighly doubt those numbers. Like, all of them. The price, the core count, the frequency, the release date, everything.

when has amd ever over promised and under delivered?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
asking for the probably 100th time in this thread. Whats the consensus on 5800 vs 5900 for gaming 1440p?
Im thinking minor edge to the 5800 because of the higher base clock and 8 cores being plenty. Im not looking forward to giving up my fancy RGB ram to buy some plain looking faster sticks

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

terrorist ambulance posted:

I've got an option to buy a 5950 or 5800x from a local computer store. Is the 5950x going to be WORSE for gaming? I notice it has a lower base clock but supposedly boosts high?

buy both and wait for reviews. Sell the other one to help pay for the one you keep

lol if you think you can ethically buy anything

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

I'm thinking 5800x because one ccx, but you have to wait for benchmarks

Microcenter in denver and tustin already have big lines.
I might not really have a choice in which one. Ill take whatever i can order

Jenny Agutter posted:

*yelling over from the gpu thread * lol if you think you can buy anything

hey man I snagged 3 3080s, maybe your f5 is just broken. If i get a zen 3 and a 6800xt i basically won the lottery 3 times this year

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 5, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nordichammer posted:

Glad I checked the thread. Was able to preorder a 5600x from bhphoto. No clue if it will be honored, where I am in the queue, or how long it will take. But we're in there.

if how the current zen processors went are any indication, 2 months for b&h preorders

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 5, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a working discord for catching 5900x restocks? The nvidia one is terrible at catching zen3.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marxalot posted:

They're also just terrible in general, if we're in the same one. I haven't seen any restocks logged on the more popular websites since release day though.

the tumadre/atr stonks one. It worked great for getting my multiple 3080s, but its worthless for a 5900x

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marxalot posted:

Ah, yeah same. That got me a 3080 within like 4 days of being there. Yet the only zen3 restock I've seen since release was a single 5800x posting at best buy :v:

i found out that the nvidia-snatcher added zen3 and ps5s recently. its all good now. Xbox being added today as well
im super done with losing sleep over discord false alerts.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you just keep adding to cart over and over or what?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont worry im extremely discorded and botted up to my eyeballs now. Im going to buy them all and then keep the most golden chip selling the rest to goons at cost.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwaihir posted:

I might have lucked in to an earlier pre-order, but the email I got from B&H said they expected to have a 5900x for me by December 21st.

dec 21st same here, im ok with that

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have you tried clocktuner for ryzen?
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clocktuner-for-ryzen-download.html

It will pretty throughly and easily test your chip letting you know the binning of the cores as well as help you set a nice stable undervolt. It also lets you compare your cpu to other ones of that model.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pik_d posted:

Got my new setup (3070 FE/5600X/MSI B550 Mortar/DDR4-3200) up and running. I noticed the RAM was running at 1333mhz so I found the XMP setting to get that corrected. Are there any other little things like that I may have overlooked?

amd ryzen high performance power plan

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this 5800x has been up for almost 20m
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1411790

who knows if you will ever get it but you can try

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prescription Combs posted:

:woop: Got an order in, thanks!

:hfive:
Its still up which is worrisome, but my order was confirmed and is processing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got a tracking # for my antonline order from yesterday. anyone with a later order ship yet?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somehow still in stock.
Do people really not want a 5800x that much?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have never heard of these people before in my entire life.

they are an official retail partner of AMD so it might be real

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst x570 is still meeting the minimum x570 specs and wont have any bad effects on something as low power draw as a 5600x. That board is very far from the worst. If it has the features you want, its good for you

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 27, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys should stay away from each other, its very confusing

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
antonline 3800x order tracking changed to in transit. Looks like it was real

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Assume you mean the 5800? And yeah my 5800 shipped too. Can't believe that was up for like 12 hours and I could just waltz over and buy one lol

That was really wild how long it was in stock. Im upgrading from a 3800xt so i may wait for my early dec B&H 5900x backorder before installing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

25+ 5800's listed in stock in Denver microcenter. My 5900x will be here tomorrow though.

I think the bottom fell out for 5800x scalpers. There are a several on craigslist in my area listed for MSRP

The antonline link must have been up for so long because they actually had that many to sell

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be a higher margin chip that they have extras of because its no one's first choice. We know that people are gonna buy anything they can get at least for awhile longer so the value proposition isnt in play quite yet.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they have made great strides in naming products after places they want to vacation at though

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone want my 5800x for $507.14 (what i paid after tax) +shipping?
I also have the farcry 6 code.

I decided to wait for my 5900x backorder to arrive instead

This offer is limited to about 24 hours after which ill return it to the retailer.

PM me if interested

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what cpu and what do you want out of the mobo

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they didnt bend because they were too long, its not a problem a dremel can fix. Its a not dropping poo poo problem

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amazon has been restocking zen 3 every morning this week around 2-3am pst. Might be worth setting alerts for.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1414834

5600 in stock. just like the 5800 they had before there appears to be a lot of stock.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
official partner seller for AMD, tons of us got 5800x last time they had stock

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are there any good value b550's to pair with a 5600x that are compatible out the box without a bios update? If not which ones can you update without needing an earlier cpu installed first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

AsRock B550 Taichi seems popular and features a FlashBack and supposedly supports 5000 out of the box. In either case, some sort of no-CPU BIOS flash option is a really good idea. People have gotten some insane OC-ing on it as well. Asus B550 ROG Strix E-Gaming also has a Flashback and supposedly supports 5000 out of the box* but again the FlashBack is always good to ensure that's the case.

The Asus is cheaper but I guess neither would be "budget" options.

Really depends what you're doing with it. MSI B550 MPG options are probably good and a little cheaper, but just make sure you check the specs/manual that it has some sort of USB FlashBack available and you should be good to go with anything.

yeah i should have said budget instead of value. Its being paired with a gtx 1070 for a 1080p purely gaming pc. I'll get a 3060ti for it eventually