Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Wait, wait, wait: Is AMD seriously about to do 7nm with GloFo & IBM before Intel unfucks their 10nm gamble?

Because if so that's pretty LOL worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The latest Intel rumor, which I bring up only because of AMD's sordid past decade: Intel's Alleged Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake Refresh 8-Core CPU Hits SANDRA Sans HyperThreading

:what:

Intel, are you guys doing okay over there?

I remember back in the early K7 days everyone was racing to 1 GHz and Intel "clenched" it by giving marketing the reigns, throwing engineering out the window, and blasting a Coppermine to 1.03GHz or something stupid it couldn't realistically maintain for retail sale and they had to recall them. It didn't matter, they got the headline. That's Intel for you.

I really like AMD's new marketing of being snarky but present about their strengths and limitations. Although I would enjoy a useless ad or two poking fun at NetBurst architecture just to troll Intel that little bit more. Poke a little more and make the bully on the playground consume themself.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Is the "edge" Intel will have in gaming just a few percentage points? Like is it something a person who isn't a benchmark monkey even gonna notice?

I'm on Haswell also and would like to upgrade and get on the Lisa Su choo choo into Thread Town.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Khorne posted:

It really depends on the game and your goals. We don't know enough zen2 to say.

Comparing zen+ to current intel, it only really matters for high refresh rate gaming. The 15% clock speed advantage is the biggest gap. There are one or two AAA games that choke on the memory latency and see a ~11%-12% ipc gap. Most other games fall in the 3%-8% ipc gap range.

It gets complicated because lots of people are limited by their GPU due to the graphics settings they use. On the flip side, many esports titles can hit 165 fps on a zen+ and some esports titles 240+. In those cases, zen+ already matches the 9900k in real world performance.

Zen2 should remove most of the ipc gap, but we don't know about memory latency or actual clock speeds.

I'm mostly doing web browsing, office junk, web development, and some gaming on the side at 1440p on a 4670k @ 4.2 with a R390. I think it's been years since I've bought a new release AAA game. I'm figuring whenever Zen2 drops I'll hop on that train, stay at 1440p and try to stick around $200-250 for a video card to do it. I've never upgraded a CPU in an existing motherboard, in the past I've always done them new as pairs, but the I guess I can take the future upgradability of the socket as the final nail in the Intel coffin for my needs. So now to wait...

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I just had a random thought that is maybe happening in a parallel universe somewhere: Donald Trump is somehow CEO of Intel and on the eve of Ryzen 3x's release he throws a temper tantrum and revokes AMD's x86 license. AMD then responds by revoking Intel's x86-64 license.

I'm not sure what happens after that but I bet it'd be funny as long as you don't work in tech.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

eames posted:

meanwhile Intel's new auto-OC tool is a 1.5GB download, will resize your OS partition, add a new 16GB UEFI bootable partition and use that to crash a few times to evaluate stability. :allears:

Asus managed to implement a form of that in some Haswell boards back in the day and it was all contained on the motherboard and practically activated with the push of a button before you even connected any storage drive. Memory may be hazy here, but even if it did need a running OS it sure as poo poo didn't mess with your goddamn partitions.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

This is completely wrong. Mayonnaise is not the answer: You need to use a paste that's electrically conductive to reduce resistance in the pins. Doing this will unlock the true overclocking potential of your chip.

Ever since the Athlon T-bird days I've used a clean credit card to apply an even and extremely thin layer of paste on the die/IHS before mounting the heatsink. Seems to have done well for me so far. :shrug:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

Hah, Intel has no answer to this, either.

If Intel puts out a press release in direct response to that AMD press release and if all it says is "lol" I'll commit to nothing but Intel based computers for the rest of my life.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I've been using a 3700X for the past few days with everything left at defaults. Been happy with the temps and other stuff so given that is there any reason to mess with Ryzen Master? Has Windows 10 pretty much sorted out the issues with Ryzen power management, core parking, and all that stuff?

To clarify: I mean mess with fan or power curves or install the AMD provided power plans.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 19, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

monsterzero posted:

Hell ya. First one (t-bird) I got scared and didn't tighten enough and let the magic smoke out. Second worked fine for three years with rounded corners. Thank god I worked returns at Fry's when I built that PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

Intel: :greenangel:
AMD: :kingsley:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Is there anything fun I can do with a left over Wraith cooler? Is it worth scrap? Only good for a weird paperweight?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

It's louder than your mom, so keep it around to drown her out.

Something something, your sister, something something, GeForce FX 5800 Ultra comparison, something, jet engines and suck.

I got nothing. :shrug:

Paperweight it is.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Windows and x86 were a mistake

Microsoft agreed that some of Windows (non-NT) was a mistake. Intel also agreed that x86 was a mistake and cooked up IA64 but in the middle of them and HP trying to force feed it to the industry AMD stole Intel's spell book and cast a necromancy curse that gave x86 immortality with the 64 bit extensions.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5 has been made available and MSI already rolled it out for some of their MAX motherboards.

Supposed to improve DDR4 support, system stability, and a fix for "HDMI audio lost issue when using AMD RX570 VGA card."

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm pretty drat close to that, although I think I skipped Athlon 64 and had a Phenom II X4 (Because: Cores!) in between Core2Duo and didn't go back Intel until Haswell.

The other day I stumbled across my old Phenom II X4 (forget the exact model) still sitting in a Gigabyte MA770T. It probably still works but I'm not sure what'd I do with it if I got it up and running again. Is someone gonna start a system necromancy megathread?

Some sorta 8086 or 8088 --> 486SX 25 --> P5 100 --> K6-2 450 --> Celery 300A --> Athlon Tbird 1 GHz --> Athlon Palomino 1.4 GHz --> Athlon X2 4400 --> Phenom II X4 --> 2500K --> 4670K --> Ryzen 3700X

The Tbird to Palomino upgrade was the only time I've swapped CPUs in a build. I forget what motherboard it was, maybe an Asus A7M-266? It was the one that didn't use the Via KT266 chipset. I also remember something in that setup had nightmare level coil whine but I guess I didn't care at the time. Remember in the early Athlon days when motherboard manufacturers were shipping boards in white boxes to reviewers to avoid pissing off Intel? Good times.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 18, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

300A is a hall-of-fame CPU for sure. I always felt a bit sad that it predated me building my own PCs. I built a G3258 system that overclocked really well a few years ago and felt like I finally had that monkey off my back.

Other HOF CPU's would be whatever Sandy Bridge SKU provided the best bang for buck, maybe a Core2Duo, and one of the Athlon XP's.

For Sandy Bridge it'd probably be the 2600K. Whoever got on that train back in the day got to ride it for a looooong time if they wanted.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The Pentium 3 privacy freak out about serial numbers potentially allowing an individual computer to be identified on the interwebs is really quaint now. We still got what they were fearing in 1999 but with massive algorithms, hell cookies, ad trackers, etc. instead of a CPU serial number.

Serial numbers got quietly readded with Ivy Bridge and AMD chips at some point, but Intel's original vision of using them for things like electronic commerce were thrown out the window.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

They should do something more emblematic of the times and use unicode symbols or emojis. AMD Ryzen R5 3600 ᔑ◕‿◕✿ᔐ, AMD Ryzen R9 3900 ☜(゚ヮ゚☜), etc.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 25, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

more nanometers = more better u heard it here folks

Processor interconnects are like highways, and as you know the wider the highway the more cars, or data, you can have flowing through it! Therefore 14nm+++ is two times better than 7nm - But it gets better: The +++ are extra HOV lanes for those big AVX chunks of data. :pseudo:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

did he complete an architecture design/revamp?

"effective immediately" :thunk:

After looking through whatever xLake arcitecture is next:
Jim Keller: [holding vulnerability hole trap like a rat by the tail] We got it.
Intel CEO: What is it? Will there be any more of them?
Jim Keller: Sir, what you had there is what we refer to as a focused, non-terminal, repeating phantasm or a ring-zero full-roaming vapor. A real nasty one, too.
Dr. Peter Venkman : And now...
[Peter clears his throat]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... let's talk seriously. Now, for the discovery, we're gonna have to ask you...
[Egon holds up four fingers]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... for four big ones, Four thousand dollars for that. But we are having a special this week on vulnerability probing of the exploit...
[Egon holds up one finger]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... and that's only gonna come to one thousand dollars, fortunately.
Intel CEO : Five thousand dollars? I had no idea it'd be so much. I won't pay it.
<Jim Keller resigns>

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I take this to mean that Intel is also going bananas on the new corporate fad of asphyxiating quality assurance and control resources in the name of improving project timelines and decreasing development costs in the short term with zero thought towards the long term and non-obvious consequences of doing that?

I guess they aren't wrong that there are no (documented) bugs if you don't test :downs:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

"It's kind of like a buy one get one free except you pay the same price for the second one"

"First rule in [tech] spending: Why [have] one when you can have two at twice the price?"

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

wargames posted:

Not true, we can start measuring things by picometers.

A breathless Intel engineer bursts into the room nearly stumbling over his own momentum as all the cigar smoking captains of silicon industry turn towards his blustery entrance with scrutinizing gazes.

The engineer hunches over to catch his breath for a moment and then bolts upright, triumphantly holding a single piece of paper over his head taut for all to see what was emblazoned on it: "+"

"PLUS!" He screamed before collapsing to the floor and breathing his last breath. He was at peace for he knew he died well: He had saved nanometer with another "+".

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Name them "Competitor" just to have some fun with the Intel marketing slide deck guys.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

gary oldmans diary posted:

Talking about 1st PCs, my first own PC was a hand-me-down 300Mhz Celeron starting with 32MB of RAM I think. Later upgraded to either 64MB or 128MB of RAM and added a Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card.
It was a fast as hell Win98 machine, though. Clear start-up junk, shortstroke the OS partition, run winalign.exe (or walign.bat from PC Mag) on all your .exe and .dll (and .scr) files from a separate Windows install (the short-sited tweak sites/mags of the time didn't take this critical step far enough), monitor boot-up file access order, defrag with O&O. Booted to idle in like 8 seconds and every app including Photoshop loaded literally instantly which was not at all the norm for machines the time (had to look up how to disable every splash screen).

Back then hitting the power button on your PC and having enough time to go make a sandwich before the user could do anything was a charming feature :colbert:

The first PC I built myself was a Celeron 300A on an Abit BH6 with 64MB RAM and a Monster 3d Voodoo paired with a Matrox Mystique 220 jammed into an Enlight case of some type - Maybe an early version of the 7237? I can't remember what the hard drive configuration was though.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I accidentally ripped a socket 939 CPU out of the locked socket a couple of times when trying to pull a heatsink off as well. Scared the hell out of me every time, but I got lucky and never killed anything. At least we're not still stuck levering on heatsink retention tabs with flathead screwdrivers!

I do not miss that Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark idol-swapping nervous energy while slowly, carefully depressing the heatsink clip into place with a flathead screwdriver that has zero frictional grip on the steel clip and what felt like hundreds of pounds of downward force required. The slightest deflection of the screwdriver to either side and now your motherboard lost some traces or maybe even has an extra "screw hole" now :downsbravo:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

This is an amazing example of marketing swag gone horribly wrong. The AMD exec who brainstormed and/or signed off on the bike should be forced to commute to work on one until it breaks... Which would probably happen within viewing distance of their driveway :v:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Pouring one out for my i5 2500K. A true legend. They say you can't futureproof, but with overlock it lasted 9 years. Even now it can run quite a few modern games at 60+fps. Snagged a 3600 at Best Buy for MSRP.

A magnificent bastard of a CPU that 2500k :zpatriot:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

BrainDance posted:

I had a fan die on a machine with a mobile duron and before I noticed the CPU literally melted itself.

I guess they didn't shut down when thermals got wild fast enough back then?

Nope :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I had I think an nForce 2 board with a chipset fan, and first the fan bearing seized and it stopped spinning, then everything melted, and finally that fan fell out of the side of my PC one day when moving it for a lan party.

Last time I had a chipset fan may have been nForce 2 or maybe slightly earlier. I just remember at some point after a few years of use something went wrong and it sounded like a poker card in the spokes of a bicycle except instead of the bicycle being a lovely Huffy BMX wannabe it was some professional Motocross monster tearing rear end through a world championship race. Hats off to that lovely little fan for making such an impressive amount of noise I guess. Like the world's tiniest high RPM chainsaw with throttle full open.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nomyth posted:

If you sell 10,000 units of a board that's $5,000...these things matter to the bean counters

But now marketing social media department assholes come in and tells you that you may have lost 4,000+ units in sales because of the media dust up from using lovely parts. What now?

Fire Asus QA people until you are profitable again. Everyone is gonna buy your poo poo on market inertia anyways.

lol buy another yacht.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

denereal visease posted:

IME it was very not worth it to go from 3200mHz to 3800mHz when I had a 3700X+X570 set up. I haven't tried it on my 5800X+X570 set up.

I still need to try and tune that 3800mHz kit one day...

Isn't 3800 bad because then you're forcing the CPU's fabric to memory clock to go 2:1 instead of 1:1? If I recall Zen2 will do 1:1 up to 3733 MHz putting 3800 just on the other side of that barrier.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

As a fellow 3700X haver on an Arctic Freezer 34 the CPU happily sits around 4 GHz all the time. You can always strap RGB fans onto it if that's really your kink.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I replacing the motherboard I installed just last week. Would it be a bad idea to keep the thermal paste? Just asking since it's still fresh and there's quite a bit of it.

If I'm applying a new layer, can I use lens wipes to clean the surfaces?

e:oops wrong CPU thread, though probably doesn't matter

Don't forget to apply a thin layer to your balls (or corresponding genitalia), since that's where the performance is stored for Intel platforms. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove paste and start over if needed.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

More game performance you say? Should've gone with 5800X3DNow!

Better late than never. :laugh:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I got a half-built computer sitting on my dining room table that will be a 7800X3D on a MSI B650 Tomahawk. Still waiting on the M2 for the main drive so I have it just sitting there partially wired up but all these posts have me just going :catstare:

I figured I'd have to do a BIOS update before attempting to enable EXPO anything but MSI's latest update is dated April 14th and is marked as beta. AMD's official AGESA update to deal with the X3D problem was released on 4/27. Is MSI not having problems or just not caring so far?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Is VSOC something that can be directly limited until the newest AGESA goes out? Does leaving EXPO turned off guarantee that the issue won't happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

That is stuff for people who tinker with expert settings. The goon with the half-done build presumably just wants to switch on Expo and save&exit, like many other people.

G.Skill Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96

Yes I would like to PRES BUTAN GET PERFORMZ but I'm okay sitting around for a bit until a good BIOS gets shat out by MSI. Worst case I run it and get my hands in there and mess with everything manually.