Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there some sort of trick for finding AM4/X570 based workstation motherboards with not just the ability to boot ECC memory in non-ECC mode but actual verified ECC support - as well as a minimum of one PCI-ex x16 and two PCI-ex x8 ports plus a minimum of two M.2 x4 slots (preferably three), a minimum of 2 RJ45 connectors on a not-Realtek or similarily-lovely MAC+PHY, and preferably a baseboard management controller that runs IPMI with vKVM?

The plan is a minimum of 12 cores with SMT which givs me 8 threads for FreeBSD which is my daily driver, 16 threads for Windows when I wanna do some gaming, and 16 threads to spare for compiling stuff with poudriere when not gaming.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I forgot to mention that it pretty much has to be ATX, since I'll be using at least two dual-slot graphics cards and a SAS HBA for 8 disks, as Ryzen 9 doesn't ship with an APU.

I looked at it a bit more, and it looks like Ryzen 3rd gen is limited to 24 PCI-Ex lanes, so I don't think it's gonna work.
I seem to recall people going nuts over the fact that AMD was supposed to have more lanes for expansion boards, but that appears to only be available on Threadripper and EPYC, which mean they're just as much out of reach for my budget as Intel chips with large amounts of lanes for expansion boards.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Asrock Rack also has a couple server boards:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications (CPU lanes are 16+4+0/8+4+8 with 2 M.2 off chipset and 2 dedicated Intel NICs with a third for IPMI, so this checks all the boxes. Uniquely, this board actually routes the x4 NVMe to a physical slot, which is how it gets 8+4+8)
No room for dual-slot graphics cards, though.

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Specifications (the above, but puts dual 10 GbE on the NVMe lanes, trades the middle slot for a smaller one off the chipset, ditches the SATA controller. This is the only board I've ever seen with 10GbE on the CPU direct lanes.)
1x on a HBA with 8 disks is just a bottleneck, as the HBA is PCI-ex 2.0 limited at ~1Gbps minus the ~25% overhead of any PCI bus

Paul MaudDib posted:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications (X570 ITX, goes to 8x SATA with oculink, dual 10GbE, 1x M.2 on back, can be bifurcated to x4x4x4x4 if you have a breakout.)
Not near enough expansion slots, let alone lanes - and sourcing OCUlink in Denmark is impossible.

Paul MaudDib posted:

That is the sum total of AM4 server boards at the moment. Asrock also makes this threadripper board:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T#Specifications

mdxi posted:

AFAIK, there's one board that meets this requirement before you get into EPYC motherboards: https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S8020_S8020AGM2NR-EX
I said AM4/X570 specifically because of the price of any Threadripper. This is X399, the CPUs for which all start at prices that are way outside my price point for Zen2 chips or even Zen+, and the errata on Zen simply make it impossible to work with for me.

Gotta be honest, I'm disappointed there's so little choice after almost a year, with nothing more even announced.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 29, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

What *is* your budget?
Budget is ~$1500.
The right question to ask is: Why the gently caress is Threadripper so damned expensive in :denmark:; a 3960X is just about the price of the entire computer I had planned out, when I found out the BMC is some lovely home-grown solution involving a complete lack of IPMI and HTML5 vKVM - and the apparent lack of SR-IOV is kind of a killer, too.

SamDabbers posted:

This gets as close to your requirements as I've seen: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/

Verified ECC support
3x PCIe 4.0 x16 slots (all x8 electrical)
2x M.2 slots (one 4.0x4, one 4.0x2)
1x U.2 connector (PCIe 3.0 x4)
Two GigE ports (one Intel, one Realtek)
IPMI, but no iKVM

Slap an x1 Intel NIC in there and get a U.2 to M.2 adapter and you're there except for the iKVM.
SR-IOV is completely missing from the manual, so I just assume it's not supported - unless priznat can tell me otherwise.
Even if it is supported, the NIC is I211, not I350 so SR-IOV won't work on it.
The x1 slot, if my dream motherboard has it, would be used for my soundcard.

Crunchy Black posted:

Hey D.E.: [non-AMD suggestion spoiler alert] why not pick up a Broadwell 2658v4? 40 lanes, ATX board availability, 32 lanes for GPUs then throw this crazy fucker in there: https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7110-overview.htm

I have the all-non-bootable-but-raidable weird rear end bastard of that card and it works great.
2658v4 is too slow, clock-wise. X4 needs both a lot of threads and a lot of Hz, and GTA5 really likes a high clock-rate too (though it's less threaded).
Already have the SAS HBA flashed with IT-mode firmware, ready to be passed through to FreeBSD via hardware accelerated IOMMU - it's how my old-and-used current build-server is booting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Too few threads; again, Windows will have 16, FreeBSD will have 8. That means minimum is 24 threads aka 12 cores with SMT.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

lots of good :words: about options
Yeah, it's not in any immediate hurry - and waiting for 3rd-gen Threadripper might allow me to save up more money.

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah, I just checked out that soundcard. WTF. Are you trying to do broadcast quality audio on a budget? Are you Tim Burke!?
As much as I would like to try the whole "being rich" thing, unfortunately that's not the case.
I used to freelance nights as a disc jockey (ie. flipping discs, no speak) - so when the radio station went tits-up, the boss handed me that audiocard.
I got lucky in that a FreeBSD developer has the same card, and wrote a driver for it.

mdxi posted:

I can read. I was doing this thing called "trying to help".

You didn't mention a budget; only a very long list of requirements. Your responses to everyone have been very illuminating, though.
Sorry, it just seemed like a classic XY problem. Didn't mean to come off as a jerk, but I was. I apologize. :(

I thought I was missing something (other than mentioning my budget, which I could've sworn I included, but demonstrably didn't), but it looks like AMD is no better or worse than Intel in terms of market segmentation when it comes to the number of PCI lanes hanging off a CPU.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Oh late to respond but yeah that asus pro ws x570 ace does support sr-iov. I can’t speak on how well it works as we connect sr-iov drives through a pcie switch fabric which abstracts that away from the host platform so don’t need to enable it. I recall seeing the option in bios though.

E: it’s in the bios manual too

I am apparently both a jerk and a stupid, because I swear I searched the manual for it. :sigh:
I guess I looked in the manual for it, not the BIOS manual, because I'm used to my own motherboard manual having everything.

So it looks like I can build the AMD system I want to, afterall. Thank you everyone for putting up with my foibles, and I apologize again for being an rear end.

Also, fun fact, you can hotlink to subsections of manuals.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Out of curiosity, is there any sort of chance that the 3rd-gen Ryzen chips might conceivably get a SKU that comes with integrated graphics cards?

The reason I ask is because the Pro WS X570-ACE has both HDMI and DisplayPort, and 1st-gen and 2nd-gen Ryzen chips had them.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 30, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Some Goon posted:

There's always a chance. But no, nothing has indicated there's anything like that coming.
Ah, I was maybe hoping there were some rumors I hadn't heard.

I guess I would have to dig up some die-shots, to see if there is room for it.

EDIT: ↓ Welp. :smith:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 30, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is one heck of a dual-EPYC motherboard, and as the article points out, also the only one that currently exists.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Finally we get PCI-ex 4.0 switches. The question is, just how long we have to wait for them to show up on motherboards?

I believe one of these would solve the problem I have with the current crop of newest-chipset boards from AMD, because I don't need the full bandwidth of even 24 pci-ex 3.0 lanes, let alone the 64 lanes that're on the motherboards that have enough daughterboard slots.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Maxing out 24 lanes is 2x NVME/10g pci-e and a GPU. We need more lanes imo. And when we get all the lanes, the transition to fast flash can happen and we can leave sata behind or regulate it to high capacity low speed storage.
No GPU on the market, as far as I know, uses all the bandwidth of a PCI-ex 4.0 x16 slot, and to satuate it you need 8 NVMe SSDs running in RAID0, and there's only like one vendor who'll even sell you a card capable of it, and if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it.

EDIT: And the NVMe SSDs that can satuate PCI-Ex 4.0 x16 aren't the high-write-endurance once that can actually last, so it's not like you'll get that speed for the lifetime of the system.

As for relegating it, it's already been relegated everywhere outside of the consumer space. Even with filesystems like ZFS, the big customers are storing metadata on NVMe SSDs and bulk storing data in 10MB segments to get the most out of spinning rust.

For reference, with the PCIex 64b/66b encoding, there's a lot less overhead than the traditional 8b/10b encoding (~4% vs ~20%, iirc), but even then we're looking at something close to 160Gbps-170Gbps from a PCI-Ex 4.0 x16.
And with the 128b/130b encoding, you're only looking at ~2% overhead.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So long as the IPC is better than a Sandy Bridge era i7-2600, and it turbos to at least 4.2GHz, I'll honestly be happy as long as it has enough PCIe lanes to allow me to do what I want.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Egosoft also magically fixed their game in the latest beta-patch, so I no longer need to upgrade (I didn't really need to, but really wanted to even if I couldn't afford it).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Some Goon posted:

NVMe only pulls meaningfully ahead at higher queue depths than the average consumer uses their SSD, for games the difference isn't perceptible.

The PS5 is supposed to have dedicated decompression hardware such that it can stream assets directly from storage in 'new and revolutionary' way, but Sony's been pretty mum about the console as a whole so other than some game devs totally swearing it'll change everything, nobody knows.
If it's based off FreeBSD like PS4 was (signs point to yes, since it's supposedly backwards compatible with it), this is as simple as them using ZFS with transparent ARC LZ4 compression, which is done entirely in software.
It loving owns, here's my daily-driver laptops output of 'top':
pre:
last pid: 76109;  load averages:  1.85,  1.40,  1.19; battery: 100%  up 4+23:29:40    22:28:16
94 processes:  1 running, 93 sleeping
CPU:  7.1% user,  0.0% nice,  3.4% system,  0.7% interrupt, 88.8% idle
Mem: 1262M Active, 1601M Inact, 319M Laundry, 11G Wired, 1917M Free
ARC: 8218M Total, 6993M MFU, 182M MRU, 420K Anon, 160M Header, 883M Other
     6574M Compressed, 13G Uncompressed, 2.10:1 Ratio
Swap: 2048M Total, 2048M Free
Basically, I'm getting about 7GB of memory completely free.
With zstandard, it'll likely be closer to 14GB or 21GB with 3:1 or 4:1 ratios which zstd can easily accomplish.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

U.2 is the superior interface. :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Um, ackshually, u.3 is the superior interface.

But all of these interfaces, they can be iterated on. Here's hoping NVMe 2 or some poo poo allows copies to bypass the CPU.
Das Boot is better. :smugbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How about an (almost) Mini-ITX motherboard with a loving SP3 socket for an EPYC on it?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Supermicro has launched a Threadripper Pro board.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 15, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

drat that board is dense.
Yes, yes it is.

And if I don't misremember completely, Threadripper Pro provides 128 lanes of PCI-Ex goodness with the southbridge included, which means the 6x PCI-Ex x16, 4x M.2 x4, and and 2x U.2, all get enough PCI lanes.
Oh, and it's Zen 2, so you don't get to fight with the performance pessimizing errata.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably not going to buy one, anyway. My mantra has always been same or more/better, so I'd have to stick with quad channel memory. It practically probably doesn't make a difference, altho with sixteen cores going at it... Losing the PCIe lanes is kinda meh, but they really only served the Mellanox card to hook up the NAS, which became a backup only solution, so it can work with Gigabit. Altho if I were to want multiple NVMe drives at their best performance...

Anyway, I still want to see it released and benchmarked, and maybe I can't resist.
If I recall right from the digital packrats thread, you use ZFS (on FreeBSD?)? If so, ARC is gonna make good use out of the additional memory bandwidth, too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It might be a case of AMD knowing exactly which registers to probe, which the others might not be aware and/or haven't published versions that can handle yet?

Naively looking at ACPI C and P states is about as useful as testing the temperature of your CPU with your tongue.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Ryzen Master does not offer an interval lower than 1s (what it defaults to). For shits and giggles I turned Afterburner to 0.1s updates and it doesn't show anything different: floor of about 3.6Ghz and peaks of 4.5-4.7Ghz while Ryzen Master is showing nothing over 1-1.5Ghz with a floor of about 500Mhz.

I'd be willing to chalk it up to 3rd party applications not knowing what exactly to do with Zen3 yet, but the thermals and power draw do suggest it's not actually idling.
Oh, yeah if they're doing 1s resolution, there's absolutely some averaging going on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, of course. But everyone else should be doing averaging, too, and more to the point, no matter how fine grained I set the others I don't get any hits with clocks as low as what Ryzen Master is reporting. Even at 10ms ticks. It's the enormous disparity that's confusing me here--even with averaging there should be some overlap (since if Ryzen Master is showing an average of 1Ghz, that means it should be spending most of that 1s tick at 1Ghz or lower, so you'd think that the others would poll at least a few hits down below 1Ghz based on pure statistics), but there doesn't seem to be--the others aren't showing even momentary drops below ~3Ghz.
There are two philosophies when it comes to sampling.
The wrong way is to have a program report averaged out values over a given time period - this is what happens when you do any CPU temperature measurements.
The right way is to have a counter for each state, and just increment the counter, that way the user can choose the time period and figure out their own averaging.

The reason why I suspect Ryzen Master of using registers unavailable to anyone else is exactly because their numbers are so different.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

That Lenovo P620 sure looks nice. Too bad they didn't have one when I was looking for a ThreadRipper workstation a couple of years ago.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/think-workstations/thinkstation-p-series-towers/ThinkStation-P620/p/33TS3TPP620
The Threadripper Pro is no longer Lenovo exclusive, so as soon as the butt service companies and other hyperscalers have had their fill, availability may get good enough that you can buy it and a Supermicro or ASUS motherboard.
The Supermicro board looks especially interesting, because even with ALL of the daughterboard expansion slots, M.2, U.2, and everything else, it looks like it doesn't have too few PCI-Ex lanes, so you could in theory fill the system to capacity and still not lack for bandwidth.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why is a discord the place to find stock availability, of all things?
Is RSS/Atom/mailing lists/anything meant for few-to-many mass-communication/anything that isn't a huge-rear end javascript codebase dead?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Because that’s slow? Discord is just IRC.

I mean, not literally like slack is (was?) but still.
Discord is IRC, but slow.

Irssi on my laptop has a resident memory set (ie. that's the memory it's actually using) of ~43.5MB, with quite a few scripts and a few plugins.
Irssi on my server has a resident memory set of 2MB.
Discord, unless limited by the kernel, will allocate several GB easily - and that's assuming there are no memory leaks, which there absolutely are.

The only reason you can't use irssi for Discord is that Discord will actively permaban users who use third-party clients.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 24, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

https://github.com/terminal-discord/weechat-discord
i've been using this for years, never been banned.

and besides, so what if you get banned? just make a new account they free :v:
If that was the impediment, I already have a Bitlbee instance I can connect to discord and connect irssi to.

If I do get banned, I have to remember all of the discord servers I'm on, and where I got the invites. :effort:

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like you should start an IRC server for stock drops. Post the link when you do!
irc://irc.efnet.org/#stocks

..Are there even still URI handlers for that? I haven't seen an URI for decades like it for what feels like decades. :v:

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have Discord running 24/7, and when it's minimized, like right now, it barely adds up to 200MB. Even when showing the window and browsing through the channels, goes up to maybe 300MB and stays there. :confused:
That's not been my experience - even when using it casually just for voice-chatting, it baloons.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

let me know which of those provide desktop notifications within seconds of a specific message being sent, with near zero configuration, to an audience of >10k
Like well-designed systems, they're designed to be asyncronous.
IRC does provide near-instant notifications, if you configure them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mdxi posted:

And I thought I was a techno-contrarian. It sounds like you've been in your garage a bit longer than 10 months, mate :)

Enjoy the horrible new world of blockstacking, fad-based development which 70-ish% solves problems you know were 100% solved 30 years ago. But everything has animations.
I mean, moving pictures are pretty cool, not gonna lie.

There is something to be said for the idea that the commodification of compute and memory today has led to developer inefficiencies, though - back on 32bit platforms when you couldn't allocate +2GB for a process, nobody thought of not at least trying to avoid memory leaks, if they wanted something to run.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

From the Anand article on it: "A single DB15 D-Sub video output is present for users looking to access the system psychically"
What, not even a console port? Heresy! :black101:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

complaining about Discord not being IRC is one of the most grey beard things ive heard in a while.
You're right, because of COVID-19, my (corona|unix) beard has been turning more gray than salt and pepper.

gently caress Man posted:

Are there any good comparisons of CPU benchmarks for Excel?
I can't imagine Excel is very well-multithreaded, considering even MySQL has trouble handling concurrency, and only Postgres does it properly.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 25, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Forget the client, it's still a bit lame that everyone's centred around one proprietary platform instead of standards we already had
A proprietary platform that'll be sold to the highest bidder as soon as VC funding runs out, at which point the data will be used to mine data that the company can be used to advertise to people.
Because it's a product of silicon valley, and that's pretty much the modus operandi.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inept posted:

"As of 2016, a new standardization effort is under way under a working group called IRCv3, which focuses on more advanced client features like instant notifications, better history support and improved security.[20] As of 2019, no major IRC networks have fully adopted the proposed standard."

Open standards are good, but there's no money in this stuff so no one gives a poo poo. If you want instant notifications, you use something like Discord.
Okay, so, let's ignore the fact that it's still in the draft stage and is not even an RFC yet.
IRCv3 didn't get standardized because not only did it force several things which some networks (including one of the biggest ones) don't implement at all, but it also fundamentally broke compatibility with IRC.

That's not how standards work.

Also, I might not be as involved with ircds as I used to be when I was an ircop for one of the major networks, but I recognize none of the people involved in making IRCv3, so it seems like it's forced by a lot of new people who's seen a chance to jump in and take over a protocol to suit their own needs, without regards to the existing userbase.

EDIT: a lot of what IRCv3 attempts is exemplified by what Matrix is doing to IRC too, by breaking compatibility with normal IRC: users of Matrix, when responding to someone, end up quoting part of the sentence, instead of just the regular "nick," or "nick:" way of prefixing when talking to someone.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 25, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Always be suspicious of benchmarks that don't show margin of error, min/max, median+average, and confidence of data.
If they don't show it, it's almost always because they only ran one test, and that simply doesn't generate enough data to form a statistical universe.

And if they do include it, you should also make sure to check their methodology, because there's always a chance that they don't:
  • reboot (which means caching becomes a factor)
  • do abababbbbaaa-patterned testing
  • disable speedstepping/turboboosting (which alternative pessimizes or depessmizes numbers, but does so in a fashion that's unreliable)
  • disable all of the runtime tasks that any OS typically does in the background (the best way to accomplish this is mounting the filesystems read-only and use in-memory filesystems, because that way you're also eliminating disk I/O, unless that's what you want to test)
  • disable ntp time adjustments (this has a meassurable effect on benchmarks, moreso than commonly held beliefs would indicate)

Then there's the the weirdest property of benchmarking: Don't make them too short, or too long; if they're too short you get problems with timestamping resolution (even on systems that keep time to picoseconds like FreeBSD), and if you run tests for too long the temperature changes affect the quartz crystal which causes the same drift ntp is supposed to correct but which you can't control for.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:hmmyes:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Khorne posted:

Zen3 mobile details leaked a bit. It's going to have significantly better battery life because igpu voltage no longer dictates the voltage of the CPU cores. It should be closer to on par with Intel's battery life now. The whole stack will have SMT - no more artificial segmentation.
I seriously look forward to seeing the low-power Zen3 APU parts that fit in the passively-cooled office/HTPC PC market - these seem extremely useful for that market.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ECC is a fun time all-round, as it can be in one of many states:
  • Completely unsupported (ie. the system won't POST)
  • Supported (ie. the system will POST
  • Silently correcting errors (ie. the firmware doesn't generate NMIs, which it's supposed to)
  • Correcting single-bit errors and generating NMIs for them, silently not correcting double-bit errors
  • Correcting single-bit errors and generating NMIs for all errors
  • Correcting single and double-bit errors, and generating NMIs
Only the two last ones are actually remotely useful, as everything else will just lead to problems, sooner or later.
And you likely won't be able to tell unless you talk with a second-or-third level engineer at the ODM, or happen to be able to find someone who's independently confirmed which state it supports.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Storm One posted:

Only the first 2 seem useless to me, the last 4 are all much better than the default of no ECC/EDC whatsoever.

Unfortunately, given the uncertainty re: support I'll likely skip it unless the premium is below 30% for RAM or 5% total upgrade cost.
You want something that masks NMIs?
NMIs are not supposed to be masked - they're called Non-Maskable Interrupts for a reason.

For reference, if I go and look at a Danish retailer right now, the difference in cost for new memory between UDIMM and UDIMM ECC is.. nothing.
Sometimes the cheapest UDIMMs are more expensive than the cheapest UDIMM ECC.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Storm One posted:

I suppose I don't, I have no idea what an interrupt is :shrug:

I read 1 and 2 as "broken", 3 and 4 as "flawed but not worse than no ECC", 5 as "good", and 6 as "ideal". From your reply, I now assume my simplistic interpretation is mostly wrong, though.
An interrupt is something that the hardware (or rather, its firmware, because there's firmware in everything from the PHY and MAC of the NIC, memory DIMMs, PCI bus, and basically every other device) when it wants the attention of your OS, because it needs the OS to handle something.

To use a NIC as an example, when someone sends you traffic, the NICs built-in ring-buffer can only store so much data before it overruns itself, so it needs the OS to take that data before that can happen. This happens via an interrupt.

Now take that and add interrupts for every single device imaginable that the OS has to interact with, and you can understand why a computer is never truly idle.

Generally speaking, the OS wants to handle most interrupts as it gets them, but some of them don't need as much attention as others (and some are even ignored in favour of the OS doing device polling).

However, there's also another class of interrupts that are so important that you really need to deal with it right now, called non-maskable interrupts. This is typically along the lines of the cpu screaming "help i'm overheating, flush your data to disk or it will be lost" at Tjunction/Tmax, over the a RAID HBA noting that its battery has died so it can no longer keep the data that the OS assumes has been written to disk safe, all the way to volatile memory (either CPU caches, main memory, or something else) noticing that the bits are unexpectedly flipping, meaning that trouble is afoot (as the data I linked in a previous post suggests, this happens much more often than expected by the people who made the decision to leave out ECC).

Now, you're probably wondering why all of this is necessary to know, and that's fair, because it isn't really, but I'm awake at 5 in the morning for no loving good reason, so I'll be damned if I'm going to be bored.
The reason for this nonsense is that in cases 3 and 4, you can very easily assume that your error-correcting DIMMs aren't having any problems, and it can still turn out that you end up writing corrupt data to disk, the system becoming unstable (but you have ECC memory, so you begin to suspect the CPU or PSU instead), or you have weird application behaviour that's non-deterministic and makes you doubt your sanity.

So with all of that said, imagine what would have happened if IBM and Intel hadn't cheapened out and added ECC to normal computers; think of how many people complain about their computer working unreliably sometimes, how many people complain about their computers crashing, and every time either has happened to you, and multiply that with the number of people you estimate has ever touched a computer, then multiple it by the number of minutes they've spent being frustrated.
Wouldn't cutting down even 1% of that be worth it? Even at 1% it's a substantially large number years of productivity/time wasted. Especially when a more realistic percentage is likely much higher, because of the locality associations linked earlier in my previous posts.

MaxxBot posted:

Cezanne lookin good

"Percentage difference"? That's so disingenuous, whoever made this has to be making a joke about statistics so advanced that it's indistinguishable from magic.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 27, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

While "proper" support is ideal, I don't think it's wrong to note that case 3 and 4 there still represents an improvement over non-ECC memory in practice for non-enterprise use. Sure, bit flips today are somewhat more common than they were expected to be way back in the 70's or whatever, but they're still uncommon, and if the ECC is taking care of those, great, your system is more stable than it otherwise would be. That it can't/doesn't tell you about double- or more flips is annoying, but non-ECC wasn't gonna tell you about those, either. The only notable downside here is if you think your system is running in case 5/6, but is actually in 3/4, and so you assume the RAM subsystem is "good" since it's not throwing NMIs when it's actually got defective hardware or something. I still find that to be rather unlikely, since truly hosed up RAM usually throws more than the occasional single bit error and you can ferret that out with something like Memtest.

The other part worth remembering when talking about "wouldn't life be better" is that a lot of systems react to a system memory NMI by halting. So, ok, cool, now you've got a BSOD with an error code on it. Too bad that error isn't terribly helpful unless it happens regularly. A one-off bit flip could be from basically anything, after all, and could potentially start you running down a rabbit hole thinking your RAM is bad when it was a cosmic ray or something. Though it could be helpful if you keep getting them, since then it would point to a memory-subsystem hardware issue.

The ret-con thing I've always been interested in is if the lovely ECC RAM speeds we see today are a result of a lack of market, or if there are technical considerations for ECC that aren't present in non-ECC that make pushing their speeds harder. The note about desktop DDR5 having ECC disabled suggests there is at least some additional complexity, but I'll admit I've never really dug into it too far. Because, yeah, if the question is "would you like desktop ECC but limited to DDR4-3200, or non-ECC at 3800+?" I know which I'm taking.
One of the papers I linked (not in this thread, as I apparently thought), has a table (figure 15, I think) which indicates that memory errors is highly associated with locality - up to 2 orders of magnitude. So if you get an error in some part of your memory, it's very likely to happen there again.

All NMIs don't equal panic(9) or BSOD. It's entirely dependent on which NMI it is - for example, for a single bit error that was corrected, FreeBSD will simply put a message in syslog, and if it wasn't corrected, it will try to override the memory location unless it was filled with dirty memory (ie. something that hadn't been written to disk yet, which is much less likely).

I'm half-convinced it's mostly down to the result of a lack of a market because it was made a premium item and that got exacerbated by lower production in a vicious cycle that at one point had ECC memory costing many times that of normal DIMMs (which like I mentioned before, isn't true for at least Danish retailers, where an ECC DIMM can often be cheaper than a non-ECC DIMM of equivalent SKU).
The part about DDR5 could also very well be because the few producers of integrated circuitry (all 3 of them that produce in batches large enough to sell globally), which is used for memory, have been putting pressure on JEDEC. We don't know, and DDR training is closed-source firmware guarded jealously, so we'll likely never know.
I also know what I'm taking, because neither of us are doing memory intensive workloads, and I'd much rather have the error correction than memory that bursts to slightly higher speeds.

Unless there's an OS that lives in non-volatile main-memory DIMMs (and that doesn't exist, because it's only in the very early planning stages), you're doing HPC cluster stuff with memory-intensive workloads, or in-memory database serving to customers, memory speed doesn't matter as much as some people think - and all of those benefit from ECC memory too.

mdxi posted:

Nothing is for free. The error-correcting part of ECC RAM isn't magic; it's code in the firmware that checks the value of every byte of memory when it's accessed (and/or refreshed?). And that takes time.
You're right, it isn't magic. It's Reed-Solomon encoding, used by RAID6 and RAID7 (only available in ZFS with RAIDz3) arrays, on CDs/DVDs/BluRays, in WiMax, DVB-C/T/S and ATSC, QR and many barcodes, and many other places.
It consists of a Galois finite field matrix transformation and a XOR. The first is always handled in hardware, as it requires a pretty large supercomputer to do in software, but the circuitry to accomplish this is so cheap, because it's used in all of those places, that it doesn't matter. XOR is a natural part of any processor.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I have no trouble believing that a common cause of single-bit flips is an iffy cell or two, which is therefore far more likely to throw them in the future than the perfectly good cell next to it is.

Given the tiny market size and the current fuckery of basically everything electronic, I wouldn't really take Danish local market prices as indicative of anything at all--I mean, that 10xx GPUs have appreciated in price since last year isn't something we should take much away from, either. ECC virtually always carries a premium when buying new, and always has--if nothing else, extra components means extra costs, even at volume (though obviously if it were the "standard" then the extra cost from the components would be pretty low and we'd just be accustomed to the extra $5 or whatever). Conversely, ex-server ECC RAM is often hilariously cheap because it's being dumped on the market by the truck load.

And to each their own, but in decades of computer-touching I've never encountered a desktop PC that was throwing single-bit errors so often as to be noticeable or annoying, but not so often / in isolation that it wasn't immediately obvious that the RAM was bad and needed to be pulled. So in that sense, yes, I will absolutely take 10%+ to my game framerates at the cost of maybe one unexpected BSOD a year.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the DDR5 situation plays out. I've no doubt that, given how new generations of DDR are always silly-expensive at launch, vendors would be pretty happy with an option to shave costs down by ditching ECC. On the other hand, if JEDEC and related are correct and that DDR5 basically needs it in order to be stable at target speeds, they might have to shove it back in there whether they want to or not.
It's fair that Denmark might not represent the usual market, but I don't think the US does either? Not sure what does, though.

How're you going to notice a desktop experiencing single-bit errors, though? Even assuming they happen in the same locality, your applications don't live in the same bits of memory from startup to startup - aside from the whole virtual memory situation and how processes tend to migrate as new data is written and old data gets flushed to disk, there's very little that makes it clear memory errors are happening, and it seems likely they're to blame for all of the Heisenbugs that people experience.

Higher boost or base bandwidth for memory don't correlate directly to higher FPS. If you think they do, I'd love to see your statistics proving it.