Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any news on the supposed issue AMD CPUs have with Nvidia GFXes compared to Nvidia as AdoredTV pointed out?

I'm still considering an AMD CPU, but with poor game performance on a future Nvidia card, I feel like I still have to go with Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

havenwaters posted:

If you mean that thing where Rise of the Tomb Raider was running worse on amd cpus compared to intel cpus Crystal Dynamics just patched their game to fix that late last month.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

Probably means developers are going to need to keep Ryzen in mind when making PC games in the future but it was totally fixable.
Ah, that's great to hear. Puts the ball in devs' court.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure my ASRock AB350 Fatal1ty Gaming K just died. Was working fine last night. Shut it off, went to bed, went to work this morning, came home went to turn on my computer and...... nothing. Everything else turns on fine the CPU fans are going, GPU turns on, I can hear my platter have storage drive turn on but absolutely no POST, beeps or anything with zero video output.

Uuuughhhhhhhhh
Tried the trick with pulling out the power cable and holding the power button for a minute (or however long it is)?

Usually this is for new hardware, but hey.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't stop thinking of Altered Beast whenever people mention Ryzen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

nerox posted:

I dread the day I can't be a decent case with a solid panel instead of a window. Why do people want ram sticks that light up of all things.
I apparently got a downgraded fan controller with my BeQuiet Dark Base 900, because I didn't want the Pro version with a window and, hold on to your butts, wireless Qi charger.

Computer hardware is so loving dumb.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

How will you know your computer is on without pulsing light coming from your pc or pc accessories :confused:
What kind of sociopath plugs in their flashing HDD chassis light.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's all "known", but it's still hard to put it all together if you're doing some light googling without someone breaking it down for you.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

Holy poo poo.

They're not even available yet in this European backwater with 27% VAT, but I'm pretty sure when it is it will be cheaper than that.
EU is expensive vs US, but we've got nothing on Oz.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone explain to a dweeb like me why Intel are using iGPUs and AMD aren't and what the pipelines for both are? Intel keep fumbling, and I'm a bit worried about Coffee Lake, but I also like the eventual Adaptive Sync support that a modern iGPU might support.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
God dammit, why must the available CPU options be like this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
AMD CPU discussion: Trying to B1 step ahead of Intel.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Never trust someone whose forum URL reads https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It is pretty weird that so few bother to do more extensive testing with different components. Like AMD or not, there are clearly some different results depending on game, graphics card, and even RAM.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

that guy's accent bewilders me. It's like he's a Dutchman who has lived in Brighton for the past 20 years.
Isn't that just his rhotacism being extremely strong?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any good videos or reads on how specifically game devs implement multicore support? Do they put netcode and physics on one core etc sort of like PhysX, or is it more about basic parallellization?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

Due to the difference in memory latency between the two pairs of memory channels, AMD is implementing a ‘mode’ strategy for users to select depending on their workflow. The two modes are called Creator Mode (default), and Game Mode, and control two switches in order to adjust the performance of the system. It sounds simple enough so far, but AMD decided to make it more complicated than it ever needed to be.

The two switches are:

* Simultaneous Multi-Threading, on or off (on by default)
* Memory Mode: UMA vs NUMA (UMA by default)
wut

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You can also do some really cool things with Thunderbolt to create are more simplified endpoint device for peripherals; check 10:46 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=646s

Also makes switching between desktop and laptop and using your laptop as a workstation a lot easier, or at the very least cooler.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a rough way of figuring out how many cores you'd use and need?

Games have started to support six cores, but say I have something like:

* An open browser in the background
* OBS streaming
* OBS recording

Would this mean that OBS takes up one core - or thread - for each task on top of the six cores being utilized, assuming I have the cores to spare, or is the scaling/parallellization different?

I'm just wondering how vertical and horizontal something like this is, and how I can try to make sense of how many cores I could need and use ahead of choosing a CPU once I have to weigh Coffee Lake against Ryzen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Did AMD fix their issue with RGB memory (SPD) btw?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone have a good overview of socket/mobo compatibility for the past years of AMD CPUs? Preferably in one-ish page.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So at which of these do we think Intel will show CL for desktop?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 11, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can't wait to buy three Teslas and just have them sit in the garage and mine bitcoins.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man, that's awesome news. Coffee Lake looks like a real nothingburger with no upgrade options. Getting an 8C consumer-level Ryzen with just the option of upgrading to another AM4 CPU would be pretty dang swell.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was that for me? I meant I'd prefer (Ry)zen 2's AM4 to CL 370/390's no path of upgrading.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The 99th percentile performance if Intel vs AMD is pretty disgusting. Selling people on Ryzen as a videogame CPU is hard, and marketing CPUs to "content creators" (ugh) is still a new concept, but looks like that's what AMD needs to do given how the videogame performance looks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So are we back to being sour on Intel or nah.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This i5-760 is getting reeeally loving annoying. But there just hasn't been a good time to upgrade in the last three-ish years I waited to see what would turn up. Today I realized I have to lower my audio buffer size to keep my audio from screwing up.

OTOH, maybe I should just take one for the team and upgrade so something revolutionary can come along two weeks later.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there an microarchitectural reason why Intel beats AMD so hard in single-thread performance, or is it more due to incremental improvements over time?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We might be seeing RAM prices come back down to a sane price next year:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-begins-mass-production-of-second-generation-10-nm-DDR4-memory.273094.0.html

But I'm sure this won't hurt AMD the same way as GDDR5X, because surely AMD already has Zen+/Zen2/ZenWhatever with DDR5 memory controllers in development right now, right?

....right?
loving finally. What a concept.

Maybe we'll even get some ECC RAM.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Palladium posted:

The world's leading predatory pricing cum dumping nation is now investigating a case of foreign price fixing.

So much irony.
Might as well if they're non-Chinese/South Korean and drive up the hardware price index in your country. Chinese regulators are always interesting, especially when it comes to gambling and lootboxes in games where they seem to give more of a poo poo than the FTC etc.

If anyone ever comes across actual evidence of foul play, the European Commission on Competition are really good at responding to reports fwiw. A fun way to learn a little about how things work, as long as you're not the kind of person to start a petition because a videogame had a girl in it or something.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 31, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Would Intel change the numbering on their processors to something like 8401 if they change the stepping to address this?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Can't wait for gamers to try to patch it out and either get owned by exploits or gently caress up their systems constantly.
The NeoGAF/ResetERA types are already vowing never to update their Windows 10 again. :doh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I had to disable stuff like Dropbox and shut down other processes to keep my Lynnfield from rebooting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is Zen+ a paper launch, or is there an date and event where we're expected to get more info?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do Noctua still have the offer of the free parts needed to mount their fans on AM4 boards?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone heard of these ASUS Crosshair issues with Ryzen before?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Does he say which firmware he's running on/which ones hes tried? IIRC ASUS has pushed multiple beta and maybe even a release firmware update out with hilariously unsafe defaults (like 1.8v SOC!!!) They? or maybe another company also recently pushed out older fw with a new name.
I think he reviews hardware and writes about tech so I'd assume he'd at least have updated firmware and such. It's pretty crazy that ASUS firmware is bricking CPUs like that anyway; I thought they were the safest choice for AM4, but I might give ASRock another look now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

https://wccftech.com/gpus-cpus-cryptomining-amd-ryzen-threadripper/

Apparently the Threadripper mining story is gaining traction.

Eugh.
It immediately got picked up in a lot of places, no doubt AMD PR had approached a lot of people with the story but only HWOCP ended up publishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That rep of Gigabyte replacing components in their products after the initial launch with positive reviews, is that still the case?