Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just did a new build with a 2700x. Idle temps are fluctuating quite a bit causing my fans to spin up when they spike. I'm running a Coolermaster ML360R. Idle CPU temps seem to bottom out around 30 degrees and will jump up to 40 and then fall back down. Package temps will drop to around the same but jump up to 44 degrees on occasion and then drop back down. I enabled the XMP profile for the RAM but haven't touched anything else. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Llamadeus posted:

Also just set the fan curve to be a flat line until at least 50 C or so.
Gonna do this when I get back home.

What should it be sitting at as far as clock speed at idle? It was generally at 4.0 GHz with random drops from that on various cores.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

That's the normal behaviour. Make sure you:

1) Move the fan curve a little bit past the max peak for now
2) Make sure your power profile is Balanced (not Ryzen Balanced)
3) Increase the Minimum Processor State in the battery profile setting under Processing Power Management until your temps don't fluctuates too much; in other words, give it enough juice to handle services and other background processes that spin up and down. Mine is 20% on air with a Noctua D14.

I've been told HWINFO64 is the most reliable for monitoring temps (like, people were practically yelling at me not to use HWMonitor).

Also, the latest Nvidia driver is trash and can make your GPU go nuts, so go back to the second-latest with Display Driver Uninstaller if your new build has an Nvidia GPU.

Did all those and things seem to be fine now. I'm glad those temp variations are normal because they had me a little worried. I'm used to temps being super constant at idle.

I'm gonna get everything set up and then probably play around with overclocking it.

Klyith posted:

with the giant gently caress-off radiator the question becomes more about what the rest of the case has / needs for ventilation. like you could probably set the rad fans to zero if you also have intake fans and just use the positive pressure.

if the rad fans are your main air movers then you can't turn them off, so just find the spot on the PWM that's barely audible.

I do have intake fans. Bumping the curve up to 50 degrees has it more than quiet enough for me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are the performance boost overdrive and power enhancment levels in the BIOS meant to be used together or is that unnecessary?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm super happy with my new 2700x setup so far. Running PE level 4 with a -0.075 offset and it will boost all cores at 4.25 GHz without any issues. I still have a ton of different things to try out too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

Do you get a measurable improvement in performance compared to just letting the CPU do it's own thing? I wasn't able to.

Yes. If I remember correctly, stock was right around 3.9 GHz all core max. PE 3 got me up to 4.1 all core, and PE 4 gets me to to 4.25 while both will still boost up to 4.34 on individual cores . Temps were pretty wild on PE 4 so I started using the negative voltage offset. I've seen people run PE3 with BCLK adjustments and positive voltage offsets up to 4.2-4.3 all core and I'll probably play around with that at some point.

I'll eventually get around to seeing what I can do with my RAM as well. I was able to get to 3200 without issue with the DOCP profile.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LRADIKAL posted:

I mean as far as benchmarking performance, I was able to squeeze out slightly higher frequencies, but letting it do it's own thing was just as performant, but more cool and stable.

On my current settings I got a 1914 in Cinebench. The lowest I have saved is an 1825, but I can't remember what the settings for that were. I'm pretty sure I had some runs in the high 1700's stock but didn't get them saved.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Went from an offset of -0.075 to -0.09375(what it defaulted to when I entered 0.09) with my 2700x running PE4 today. I tried a -0.1 but it didn't want to boot. I'm under 1.4V average in games with a pretty hefty average temperature drop as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I couldn't find an offset option on my MSI board. I'm wondering if that's just bios specific.

It looks like there might be an option on the latest BIOS for at least some MSI boards? Might be worth it to at least investigate.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So I just picked up a 2700X to replace my current 1700X as I plan to build another PC and I figured I'd use this chance to do some marginal upgrades to mine.

So far I'm really liking the XFR/PBO auto overclocking, it seems to pretty much make normal overclocking not necessary unless you're demanding very high all-core locked clock speeds. For gaming purposes, it's much more useful for me to have a couple of threads boost up while the others stick at slightly lower clocks.

But I do have a question about the Performance Enhancer stuff on my Asus Crosshair VII Wi-Fi. My understanding is that levels 1-2 are AMD approved settings and shouldn't be an issue, level 3 and level 4 are Asus' own stuff. I do have a 280mm AIO cooler and in my testing it looks like it can handle Level 3 just fine temps wise, I was just wondering if I'm being paranoid about it potentially being dangerous to the CPU to let the mobo do what it wants with the voltages to keep things clocked as high as possible? Level 4 seems to be reserved for people doing exotic cooling and I think I'll steer clear of that for now.

You don't need anything exotic for PE4. I'm running a 360mm AIO and it handles PE4 fine. I run a -0.09375 voltage offset with mine and it keeps the voltage around 1.4 or lower under load. Some people can pull off a -0.1 offset but mine won't. One thing I've seen somewhat commonly is PE3 with BCLK adjustments and a positive offset. I haven't played around with that yet but will at some point in the future.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Thanks for that, I'll start working on finding a good offset for my CPU. While looking at voltages, I noticed with PE level 3 using Auto, during heavy CPU stuff like Cinebench my voltages were only around 1.32 or so while the CPU stuck at 4.1ghz. But I did notice under more lightly threaded work, like some games, my voltages went up to 1.5v when 1-2 cores would sit at 4.3 while others are at lower clocks. My suspicion is that this is actually intended when PBO is clocking a couple cores high as Ryzen will need those volts to get the clocks that high, but I just wanted to double check.

Next on the agenda is getting my RAM working at a good speed. Ended up buying some DDR4 4000 because it was relatively cheap for Samsung B-Die. Obviously it failed miserably at loading its XMP profiles at both 3600 and 4000, right now I'm running it at 3200 CL14 because it doesn't require me to put more than the XMP standard 1.35v onto the memory. My understanding is that up to 1.5v is fine here and probably needed to push into the high DRAM frequency range, looking to see if I can push it up to 3600 since Ryzen DRAM calculator says I should be able to do that at relatively low timings.

I think a lot of the issues people have with PE4 is that they aren't running a negative offset on it or are running air cooling. I updated to the latest BIOS yesterday and had to reset everything and ran an hour of prime95 and my temps maxed out at 70 degrees. If I remember correctly from when I first did PE4 without an offset I was hitting 80+. The voltages are pretty high on it and my goal was to get it below the 1.425 that I've seen recommended as the max regular voltage. I was generally below 1.4 on the last BIOS and seem to be right around/just above it on the latest one. PE3 obviously runs much cooler but also obviously doesn't hit the same all core speeds.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

I went from no side windows on a Fractal Design R5 to tempered glass/RGB everything on a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

:coal:

What's up PC-011 Dynamic buddies!

:hfive:

I don't have any current pics of mine to throw up though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

I think the real winners are people who bought a 1080ti when they first came out. It looks like it will be perfectly valid for a long time to come.

I really wish I'd bought a 1080ti. Instead I have this loud as hell 1080 that has fan rattling that's getting worse and worse as time goes by. I catch a 2080 below $600(that isn't Zotac) and I'll probably buy it just to get rid of this loving thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a guy here selling mining 1080ti's for $300. It's probably worth the risk :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'll let you know after I've talked to the guy ;)

Hell, I might try and buy 2 at that price so I have a backup.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's kind of a red flag, market value is around $550 still. He could put $500 on them and they'd sell for $475 or whatever in a week, there's no reason to drop 45% below their market value to move them.

Kinda suspect you're about to get mugged and your $600 taken but whatever, it's your money. If he's legit then SA group buy time!

Sometimes you have to end up in a guys sex dungeon in order to hunt down the best deals. I pretty much always do CL transactions in very public places.

e: the guy may be into hot air balloons, cellar sex dungeon seems super likely. I legit might buy 2 of them. At that price, even if one of them was poo poo and the other worked it's still not the worst deal ever.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 21, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

I would feel pretty ripped off if I got one 1080ti in 2019, used, for 600, given that I got one brand new from evga with triple fans for 699 in early 2018

e: I lied it was dec 2017

I see them listed on CL for $600+ all the time. It seriously wouldn't be the worst deal if I bought 2 and only one of them worked.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love my Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic. It's a good and clean design and the windows show it off. Also all my pretty lights :pcgaming:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

Hell yeah PC-011 crew. RGB all day erry day

IRL the fan RGB is way more subdued and more inline with the gray-blue of the keyboard lights

:hfive:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 23, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA0zBR6MgA

Looks like X570 boards are going to be more expensive than X470 and X370 boards were. GloFo is also making the mobo chips (did AMD end up designing the chipset?), so I wonder if that's how they're planning on satisfying the WSA through the next year.

:wtc: the highest-end Gigabyte X570 is $600.

Only the Gaming X board is under $200 ($170). The mITX board is $220, though, so good thing SFF isn't getting left behind even with the increased challenges PCIe 4.0 brings.

e: 11-15W for chipset consumption confirmed, hence the fans.

I bought one of the more expensive x470 boards and those prices are ridiculous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Make sure the X470 has a top end VRM and probably not much.

As of right now I'm definitely not regretting splurging on a Crosshair VII. I was worried that there would be cool new things that would make me want to upgrade the board as well as the processor, but :lol: at the prices of the new boards.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but newest and hottest thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

"Not good enough, still has 15 degrees until TjMax" - Apple engineer

For real though, it seems like a lot of the 4800H laptops are running the CPU way over its TDP spec and letting it bounce off the thermal limit. In some of the reviews, the CPU is over 45w for entire benchmark runs. But thats how you are getting that performance out of the little feller, afterall.

Huh. I'm looking at mid range gaming laptops and was interested in the AMD offerings even though they're limited to 2060's because of the supposedly better power consumption and thermal things. I guess that shouldn't really be much of a factor if this is going to be a thing for them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I've noticed something with my 2700x setup. No clue how long it has been happening. My voltages and idle temps are really high. I've had a custom PE4 setting with an undervolt running since I pretty much built this setup. x470 crosshair VII and a coolermaster 360 something AIO. The only changes to the setup I've made are that I upgraded my case fans and moved some of my old ones to the bottom of the case to blow on the GPU. The case is a Lian Li O11 Dynamic.

Basically, my idle voltages are well above 1.4V and my idle temps are also high, which I assume are related to this, at 51 C. This setup used to run what are pretty normal idle temps for a 2700x and it would be a hair under 1.4V under load in game. I turned PBO off and went to a PE1 setting and the voltages are now averaging at 1.45V when they were about 1.415V with the much more aggressive overclock. What's the deal?

I updated to the latest BIOS today to make sure it wasn't some reading error but it's all the same and it's confirmed with Ryzen Master.

e: loaded optimized defaults from the BIOS and it's back to normal 2700x stuff I believe. This might be fun to figure out.

e2: I think it might be the lighting software for my keyboard :psyduck:

e3: chrome does it too. The temps are way better now though and I've gone back to my overclock profile.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 12, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So getting back to the issue I discovered last night where certain programs were pulling a lot of volts on my CPU.

That's idling from last night until I got home from work this afternoon.

That's with chrome open and streaming some videos although just having chrome open seems to be about the same. Chrome never went above 10% CPU usage and it would generally just briefly spike there.

That's with icue open/running. Having the window open actually makes a sizable difference and that's with it open for about 5 minutes of that time. Icue never even pulled 2% CPU usage according to task manager. With the window open it would generally have at least 2 cores pegged at 4.3GHz which also doesn't make sense to me with the shown CPU usage from the system. HWinfo obviously shows it with higher usage than task manager did.

So what's up with the voltage there? If those programs are actually pulling that much shouldn't the temps be significantly higher? I can open up a game and run it for a few to show what it looks like under load if needed. The only difference between the three screenshots should be that particular program being open or not. There were other things like discord and steam also running in the background.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Corsair icue is a piece of poo poo in general.

Yeah, reading up on it last night and it's complete garbage. I'll have to see if there's any way to go around it because I like having a backlight on my keyboard but don't particularly want the 3 rainbow options that you get when the software isn't going. Hell, there might be some way to get it do that with it closed but that poo poo is all convoluted enough that I didn't see it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

While we are on Corsair icue..

I use it just to keep the ram RGB LEDs off, you're saying there's a better way?

ASUS's AURA doesn't seem to be too bad. It doesn't have to be running unless you're changing things and it's currently controlling everything inside my case. The logitech software isn't too bad either as far as resources it seems. You still have to have it and icue running to have non-rainbow bullshit outside of the apparent second party stuff that might work.

Watching what different things do to my voltage/cpu/temps is kind of insane. I was listening to stuff on Tidal last night. It made my CPU run like 10 degrees hotter than idle. If the app wasn't minimized it would run a couple cores hard and jump the voltage usage up to 1.4V but the temps wouldn't change at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Invested in a nice X470 board hoping to be ready for the generation after 3XXX CPUs but that didn't seem to work out. Not interested in a 3600/3700x. Bummer. :(

Literally the same. If they don't backtrack on this I'll probably grab a 3xxx CPU when the 4xxx come out and they go on sale.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Maybe I should bite the bullet for everyone and replace my 2700x with a 3xxx to pretty much guarantee that they'll reverse this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

I already did this, so you can save your money.

Can't wait to sell my 2700X for $25.

I'm the kind of idiot that will buy a 3900x over a 3700x because bigger number. I'm spending $1800 on a mid range gaming laptop to play escape from tarkov at work for a few months. Saving money is for fools.

I will use my 2700x as a coaster.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

U-TURN ALERT.

B450 and X470 will now do Zen 3

I didn't even have to order a 3xxx to get them to do this :smug:

Thanks to the other goon that did, it worked.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My 2700x is acting weird and I figure I might as well replace it. I guess I'll make a trip down to microcenter tomorrow and grab either a 5800x or 5900x. Either will just be a drop in replacement on an x470 crosshair vii with a bios update, correct?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

assuming you have the most updated bios where it says it added support for Zen3, yes.

I would say grab a 5600x personally unless you're doing heavy non-game workloads and save some money. 5800x is a poorly priced chip. 5900x performs (very slightly) worse for gaming.

Microcenter doesn't even have the 5600x listed on their website. I'd definitely grab one of those first if they had it in store.

e: I found it but you can't just type 5600x on the microcenter site.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 6, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How often do the 5600x come into stock? There are a couple scalpers selling locally that are about $40 over what I would pay at micro center and I also wouldn't have to drive an hour each way.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bus hustler posted:

+$40 after tax? assuming 100 miles the IRS would have that as $56 in mileage & in my area would be a few bucks in tolls too

Yeah, about a $40 difference after tax. There would be zero tolls and I'd take my Prius down so it would only be a couple gallons of gas but it's still an hour plus each way provided they get one and I can get my hands on it. It doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff on my end.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

$40 is great if you really want it now. If you can stand to wait and really want it delivered, then wait. Its only going to get more in stock. They arent going to stop making them and its not a consumable that people need to buy more than once. The scalpers in my area are already down to $10 over retail. Just wait for an antonline restock. They have all been totally painless and super easy

It's worth it for the time savings alone. I'm going to be driving past where this one is running errands today anyway.

There's definitely something off with my 2700x though. I flashed the latest BIOS for the 5600x and basically just didn't run PE4 and an undervolt like I'd had for years and WoW at least is running better than it was yesterday and I dropped from like 1.52V on average to 1.41V in game. I used to run under 1.4V average with those settings but the voltage has been steadily climbing over the past few months.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The 5600x has pretty much doubled my framerate in WoW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

love that feeling, what were you coming from?

An overclocked 2700x. I'm pretty sure it was on its way out though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Just curious, was it crashing or.. what made you say that?

It was just doing weird poo poo. There were some weird voltage issues over the past several months and I noticed yesterday that it was hanging out at well over 1.5V on stuff that used to be under 1.4V. My framerate in games had taken a noticeable hit too with none of the usual things that signify the GPU going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Huh. Yeah I dunno. Could be mobo issues but.. hard to tell. My 3900x is bit bitch when i try and do anything overclocking, even screwing with PBO. Oh well, stock 12 cores is okay with me.

Yeah, it could be a lot of stuff. I noticed this earlier this year:

fknlo posted:

So getting back to the issue I discovered last night where certain programs were pulling a lot of volts on my CPU.

That's idling from last night until I got home from work this afternoon.

That's with chrome open and streaming some videos although just having chrome open seems to be about the same. Chrome never went above 10% CPU usage and it would generally just briefly spike there.

That's with icue open/running. Having the window open actually makes a sizable difference and that's with it open for about 5 minutes of that time. Icue never even pulled 2% CPU usage according to task manager. With the window open it would generally have at least 2 cores pegged at 4.3GHz which also doesn't make sense to me with the shown CPU usage from the system. HWinfo obviously shows it with higher usage than task manager did.

So what's up with the voltage there? If those programs are actually pulling that much shouldn't the temps be significantly higher? I can open up a game and run it for a few to show what it looks like under load if needed. The only difference between the three screenshots should be that particular program being open or not. There were other things like discord and steam also running in the background.

There were multiple things that when not minimized would peg my voltage. Chrome, Tidal, the launcher to play escape from Tarkov, etc... The 5600x is not doing any of that at all.