Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a 3600 with an aftermarket noctua cooler, and a tomahawk max. Is there some non-video guide to getting the best performance? I don't want to push it to the absolute limit but I figure I should try and get an extra 10% if possible. I just ordered a 3080 and I figure I should do that. I also have set my ram to stock I think, not sure if I need to overclock that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

sean10mm posted:

Overclocking is kind of a waste with AMD IMO. In gaming in particular it can actually reduce performance vs. letting the stock boosting system do its thing.

What RAM do you have? If you really want you can go down the rabbit hole of Ryzen memory overclocking and see what that does for your 3dmark Time Spy score or whatever, but if you bought cheap RAM to start with it probably won't do a ton. Sometimes people get lucky though!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

e: If you are running at 1440p ultra settings or 4K, the GPU is going to be the main bottleneck anyway. The CPU & RAM matter less the higher the resolution.

Thanks for the reply

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16u4w

I have that ram. I think I put the timings in manually but I can't remember if I tried overclocking it or not. Since it's 3200 should I just set the clock to 3200?

Yeah I'm running at 1440p but I want to make sure I'm not leaving any performance on the table. I was reading an article about how CPU still matters and can make a 10-15% difference at that resolution anyway, which is not nothing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have a ryzen 3600 and a tomahawk max motherboard and an aftermarket cooler (whatever was recommended on the forums at the time). I'm testing using just the cpu-z benchmark, and my cpu never seems to go over 3850MHz (according to ryzen master) when doing the cpu-z benchmark.

I turned elden ring on, and cpu-z says that the core frequency is around 4000, but ryzen master says it's 2900 (that's a weird discrepancy?). I can't overclock with ryzen master either, says my cpu is not supported.

CPU-Z says that my voltage is maxing out at 1.35. Since I've read that the 'safe' max limit of overclocking is putting your voltage to something around 1.4, it seems that the auto-overclocking is more or less hitting a limit of 4000 and that's basically it for my pc? I decided to look into this since the 3600 is the worst part of my computer and I wanted to make sure it was running effectively, and although I have 16gb ram, an ssd and an nvme ssd drive, and an nvidia 3080, I'm still getting insane stutter on elden ring (yes it's on the nvme), a problem 'completely solved a lot of patches ago'. My cpu is fine for most stuff but I want to see if I can get anything more out of it. In my bios I've got game boost off, a-xmp on and I've got basically everything else on stock settings (I think) or at least, all of the clock speeds etc are set to 'auto'.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
58-60 degrees, according to ryzen master with elden ring running in a window right next to it. cpu usage seems to be about 50% according to one measure with elden ring. I suppose that means that my cpu is not the bottleneck for that game.