Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Recently picked up an AMD Athelon 5350 APU with Asrock AM1H-ITX from SA-Mart (Hi tuyop if you're in this thread). I'm enjoying playing around with it, I haven't had an AMD processor since my black edition 955 or something back in the day.

I'm curious about how the throttling works - I'm not seeing the frequency dropping at all even with cores 3+4 at 0% usage and cores 1+2 at 10% or less. It's always at 2.05ghz and 1.3v vcore. While it's only drawing around 3w total power to CPU according to hwinfo64 (seems extremely low?), I'd like it to throttle the frequency if it's supposed to like the intel processors I'm used to. Is this just an AMD thing? I've reset uefi to default and it's not changed anything. I checked with only CPU-Z also and still found the system not throttling the frequency/vcore.

I'm also running the system with a 19v 65w DC power adapter, it's one of the features of the mobo.

Is my system throttling as designed? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

Have you installed the chipset drivers? Possible that you aren't getting correct readings without those.

Also IIRC those earlier dynamic-frequency CPUs wouldn't do it without the OS assistance + chipset drivers. I feel like any modern OS should support that out of the box, but maybe win10 has dropped support. Or if this is like your box to play old games on and you've installed XP, that would be it.

No it's a server basically at this point, still trying to decide what I want to use it for besides a tool to help me learn how to set up a NAS etc.

You can't find chipset drivers, all you can find for this is the radeon drivers for the integrated graphics. I've decided it's fine and probably working as intended so I'm just going to leave it. Drawing less than 6w so it's not burning up by any means.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Might be a dumb question but have you checked your windows power plan? If it’s set to high performance it won’t throttle down.

Oh fucks sake this is probably what it is. Thanks I'm dumb.

E: yep it was. Ty, system now Idles for 0.185w.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 7, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arzachel posted:

I was wondering if there were any Skylake boards with both DDR3 and DDR4 support and of course Asrock did it.

Currently running an ASrock m-itx system by powering the mobo with a 19v DC adaptor. Love to rear end rock.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really wish they'd bring back that kind of color scheme on mobos. I don't use a windowed case but that's fun as hell.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I had one of these with the daughtercard, and it worked great for me, but my buddy I gave it to later hated it and told me about the day he happily dropped it in a landfill.

Did he say which one? I'm gonna go dig it out and throw it through his living room window, that's incredible hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I was 18 and headed to university I told my dad I needed a discreet GPU so I can do schoolwork and see the text on the screen more easily. CS 1.6 is a good game.