Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

That website will not load for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm a bit salty about Gigabyte, because of the component swap antics of theirs. At least in the past.

Yeah, I have a Gigabyte z170 board that I really like but I made sure to get the first revision so it wouldn't be made with cheaper parts. Does anyone know if they're still doing this?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I got a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master and there is a lot of poo poo being talked about Gigabyte boards in some spaces I lurk, and I was wondering if there was any meaningful reason for it? Everyone swears up and down by MSI & ASUS nowadays, but the only two motherboards I've had be dead on arrival were from MSI & ASUS.

I don't know if they still do it, but a few years ago Gigabyte would use cheaper components for later revisions of their motherboards. It would allow them to sell boards of questionable quality based on reviews for the earlier actually good version, which is pretty scummy. I personally use a Gigabyte Z170 board but I made sure to get the earliest revision so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Newegg has what look like some decent combo deals on Gigabyte motherboards and AMD processors... I wasn't planning to build something new right now but it is very tempting.

I've been waiting for a sale like this but they didn't include the x570 Aorus Elite in any of the combo deals so I'm not biting. I want that USB C front panel connector and I'm also not willing to take my chances with the Asus TUF considering their RMA in the US is a nightmare and I've had several bad experiences Asus boards.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Are the MSI MPG X570 capable of running a 3900x or are those boards too lovely? Thinking about picking one up and passing my 3600x on to my brother.

There's a AM4 motherboard tier list on the LTT forums and according to that the x570 MPG Gaming Plus is not enough to max out the 3900x. It's in tier D and you'd want something in at least tier C for the 3900x. The Pro Carbon is in tier C.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1046357-motherboard-tier-list-eol/

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Heh P183 is what i just replaced with the Sliger SM560. It was a good case at the time, but drat is it nice having something where I don't get a hernia if I try to move it.

I just did the opposite, lol. Upgraded from a cheap Chinese case that I had modded with a side window and to fit an extra 140mm fan at the front to a Phanteks P600s. It's gorgeous and easy to work in but the drat thing weighs about 30 lbs. empty.

Also, I just did a slight upgrade from a 66600k to a 3600 and got the ASRock x570 Extreme4 when it was on sale for $190 last week. Both the CPU and motherboard arrived a week ago and I'm pretty pleased so far, though I haven't been able to OC the CPU yet since I'm still using the stock cooler. The AM4 mounting bracket I requested from Phanteks for my PH-TC14PE got shipped to the wrong city because the USPS screwed up but it is supposedly arriving today. This did give me a solid amount of time to OC my memory and I managed to hit 3600MHz 14-15-14-28 on my 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G. Skill kit, which I am extremely happy with.

e: the AM4 bracket showed up right when I posted this

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 11, 2020

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

pixaal posted:

I came across a post yelling at someone for having their VDDP at 1.1v, my motherboard sets it to that so I tested changing that to the recommended .9v just to see if the guy was full of poo poo.

Down that rabbit hole now I'm running my previously 3600CL18 at 3800CL16 with IF at 1900 stable so far! This is definitely faster. Why is the auto voltage so drat high?

I also think I won the silicon lottery since the DRAM calc has my IF speed in bright red.

I think it depends on what CPU you have. A lot of 3600s have difficulty going above 1800MHz on the IF but a higher binned chip like a 3700x or 3800x would probably be more likely to hit 1900.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

pixaal posted:

I'm gonna let this run for a few days with folding at home and see if I get any problems but so far seems stable, not sure the PBO overclock is doing much I've only noticed my low core going form 2800 to 3200 and it's adding 10c to the thermal load.

PBO sucks imo. It was only boosting to 4GHz so I did a manual overclock and managed to get it stable at 4.2GHz on all cores while dropping temps by 8C in prime95. I think I got somewhat lucky in that it's prime stable at 1.325V but it will not go above 4.2GHz no matter what I do. I might actually be able to drop the voltage slightly lower but I haven't had time to mess with it the past couple of days.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 17, 2020

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

teagone posted:

I just helped a buddy build out a new setup around an R5 3600, and yeah, component stock is hosed at the moment. Though, we managed to snag an MSI B450M Pro-VDH MAX board from Amazon for $90ish which according to the PC building thread is a solid budget board. It's still available here: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-ProSerie...ctronics&sr=1-1

If you can/want/opt for an ATX case, the B450 Tomahawk MAX for $115 seems like the go to (if you can find it in stock). Reason I had my friend go with the Pro-VDH MAX is because his case only supports microATX boards.

[edit] Also I learned from the PC building thread that any "MAX" branded motherboard from MSI supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs out the box, no BIOS updated required. That was another thing that helped making picking a motherboard easier for my friend, since he doesn't want to gently caress with any BIOS updates when building lol.

The MAX boards also all support memory up to 4133MHz while the vast majority of B450 boards top out at 3200MHz. There are a few that will hit between 3466 and 3600, though.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Palladium posted:

Used Z77s are now going as low as $65 on Ebay. Seems like even the normally irrational Ebayers are learning that spending pretty cash to keep their old Intel quads running instead of going new/used Ryzens is an unwise idea.

Nah, I buy and sell a lot of used PC parts and Z77 boards can still be easily sold for $90+ if they're a decent model. I just sold a Intel DZ77GA-70K Extreme for $125 a few days ago and an Asus Z68 board for $110 about a week before that. Hell, people are still willing to pay around $100 for higher end Bulldozer and Phenom CPUs.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The number of people who own 3000 series ryzens who intend to upgrade to a 4xxx is probably on the order of 1%. AMD likely know this and are willing to put up with some barking from a tiny segment of their market.

It's not like switching to Intel in disgust improves your the situation, they consistently obsolete motherboards after 2 gens.

I am one of those people and I'm really glad I spent the extra money on an x570 motherboard right now.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Corsair icue is a piece of poo poo in general.

can confirm

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

future ghost posted:

My phanteks full tower case fits an excessive number of drives and came with a ton of drive cages built in. I think by default it can fit 6 HDD/SSDs plus another 3x 2.5"-only mounts without needing to modify anything.

Yeah, I have a P600S and it comes with 4 drive cages but can hold 10 total. I love this case and wish Steve at GN would review it because it's basically just a better version of the P500A. It has the same internal layout but with removable magnetic front and top panels so you can switch between high airflow or noise dampening depending on what you're doing. And I think it looks nicer.

e: oh, yeah, and that is not counting the 3 SSD mounts so it can hold 13 drives total

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 18, 2020

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

sincx posted:

try to buy crucial for Ryzen builds

it's generally around the same price as other brands, but you'll get micron e-die, which is very good for zen chips

I'm running 64 gb (4 dual-rank sticks) of cheap crucial ram (rated 3200 cl16) at 3733 mhz cl16, 1.4v.

I've been buying G. Skill for the last several years for both Intel and AMD builds and they are also great. Their Samsung B-Die kits are usually very affordable. I have a 16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 kit in my current 3600 build running at 3600MHz 14-15-14-28 no problem. I had managed to get it to run at 3800MHZ CL16 but my IF wouldn't clock past 1800MHz so I dropped it back down.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

redeyes posted:

It's CL16 actually. Not the super stupid expensive kind... I may have bad info but HWinfo does say its Samung brand ram at least. I will definitely try some of these settings and see where I get. Thanks man!!

Thaiphoon Burner will identify exactly what memory you have, which will make it easier to OC using the DRAM Calculator GM posted. The fast setting worked perfectly on my B-Die kit.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Thaiphoon-Burner.shtml

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I also bought a x570 board and 3600 earlier this year and I have planned all along to upgrade to a 5700/5800 when they come out. I like to do some 3d modeling and rendering in my spare time and have recently taken up 3d printing and I do it pretty much all day every day now, including printing my own 3d models. A better CPU would benefit me and so what if I ended up spending an extra $50-75 when I got to use this CPU for nearly a year before upgrading.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I hope he doesn’t kill himself.

I don't know if this is a joke about AMD or Steve but he has a secondary youtube channel and about half the videos were related to mountain biking last I checked.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

redeyes posted:

I hear zero recs for Asrock for Ryzens. Huh.

I think the main reason more people don't recommend them is that you can usually find a slightly better board for the amount they're asking. I have an x570 Extreme 4 that I like and have had zero issues with but I only payed $180 for it and iirc it retailed for about $240 which was too much for it's feature set imo. Also, the BIOS isn't great but I wouldn't consider it a nightmare or whatever like the other poster.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

The #2 most popular CPU on Amazon right now is a $180 Ryzen 5 2600, at one point that was selling for $80 in the form of the 1600AF :lol:

drat, I got a 3600 for less than that almost a year ago.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Any bent pin situation is not ideal, but I think I'd rather deal with the pins on the cpu rather than the intel pins on the motherboard. That looks like a complete nightmare to try to fix manually.

Oh, it can be. I've had to fix bent pins on several motherboards and a couple of AMD CPUs and the CPUs are much easier to deal with.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I can confirm I took possession of the 5900X I got from LinusTechTips.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1382797215278632962

congrats

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Palladium posted:

I have being seeing 5600X and 5900X going below MSRP, guess this has to do with the stupid GPU prices somehow

They stopped being profitable for scalpers because you don't need a ton of CPUs to mine and the artificial scarcity caused by scalpers was the main driver for pricing imo. They've been relatively easy to find for MSRP for the last few months and this is just the natural progression from there.

e: And AM5 stuff is supposed to release sometime in 2022. People are speculating that it could be somewhere from July to September.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 14, 2021

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Also chiming in to say I've never had USB problems on an ASRock X570 Extreme4 and I have a minimum of 5 USB devices plugged in at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

When looking at the clock speed of the CPU what you're looking for is effective clock speed. That's what Ryzen Master is reporting and the reason for the discrepancy. Clock speed is basically just showing what your max clocks could be while effective clock speed is showing moment to moment changes. HWInfo64 will show both clock speed and effective clock speed. I also have a 3600 and it will only boost to a little over 3.9GHz all core unless I manually OC it to 4.2GHz.