Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Glad I picked up an el cheapo X570 in the fall for like $129.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

The thing that still impresses me the most happens to be the humble microSD card. Goddamn there's so much packed in to a tiny space. You can get 1TB ones now!
Young me with a 245MB HDD and a stack of floppies would have been utterly blown away

I remember my dad stretching to buy the Macintosh Classic with the 40mb hard drive option, which (along with 2x the RAM) increased the price of the thing by 50%

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

drat I'm not liking the prices

they dont gotta sell it at discount

*bangs on table*
BIG NAVI BIG NAVI

is that poo poo gonna be any good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

I want the one that stops the bragging of 10700/10900 owners.

who cares

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DrDork posted:

AMD doesn't need to be the "value" option anymore. So their chips won't be great values anymore. Standard business, really.

The 3600 might not stick around in retail channels, but it'll be super easy to get second hand at even better prices.

The 2X00s are still kickin around retail channels so I would be a bit surprised if the 3600 went away really quickly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This could make sense for a home server so you don't have to get an iGPU processor. like I can make it make sense in my mind, if I try real hard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hopefully the price is more in the $50-100 range and not multiple hundreds though.

I kind of assumed it had to be cheap if it's intended for home use because if it costs more than a hundred bucks don't you just slap an el cheapo GPU in to a PCI-E slot? You can buy a new fanless 5450 or GT 710 for under fifty bucks, and you can probably spare a single PCI-E slot on your home server rather than pay a hundred dollar premium.

Enterprise would be different, for sure. It looks like Innodisk has one already but I couldn't find pricing anywhere. I suspect it's pricey.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ha that thing is fun

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pricing will definitely reveal whether it's targeted at the home server market or just at enteprise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

F4rt5 posted:

Right now comparable 6-8 core Intel 9 and 10 series offerings are 30% cheaper, somehow, though I want to be stupid and go team Red since I care more about multi-core performance and power draw than anything else...

The nominal price gap narrows when you consider cooling solutions and motherboards - AM4 motherboards tend to be less expensive, and lower-end AMD processors come with coolers. Most people opt to replace the stock cooler, but you don't NEED to other than for noise and quality of life reasons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do you mean the 5600 which is already a replacement for the 3600? or do you mean a replacement for the 5600?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if the i7 11700K that got released early is any indication, not unless you need heat output

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It would probably help if you posted what motherboard it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zgrowler2 posted:

My apologies, the AsRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard
and a timestamped installation video mentioning the standoffs
have been edited into the original post. The screws on the stock cooler are not physically long enough to reach all the way down to the backboard by themselves. They're spring-loaded, but even with compressing the spring there isn't enough screw to make the gap.

The backplate is a standard design for AM4 and the mountings/standoffs are standard, so you should be able to buy a 3rd party replacement AM4 backplate on Amazon. Looks like they cost about 10 bucks. This looks a lot like the stock backplate and the standoff heights should be correct.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a thousand watts seems pretty edge case to me unless you are doing a hardcore multi GPU workstation

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

I've been looking at one of these because I don't like how the Hyper Evo 212's move around even when seated

If the cooler is moving around it isn't properly seated. the screws for the mounts for AM4 on the 212s are spring-loaded and it's basically impossible to torque it down too much. Source: just installed an AM4 212.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Unless one of the screws breaks in half, in which case the cooler is useless. That's one reason I ended up spending a little more on the be quiet! cooler, because the 212 I had originally bought to use as a replacement for the stock cooler broke like that as I was installing it.

yeah that would do it.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I had one on an intel and the cooling was working as reflected by the actual temps but that thing was able to rotate more than I'd have liked. I have no idea what else I could have done or what I could have missed since I followed the instructions.

it can be making complete contact without the mount being sufficiently torqued down, which it sounds like what was going on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I used the Hyper 212+ on two different builds and I don't regret it because it was a good value at the time, but there are now alternatives in its price range with much less fiddly mounting systems

for sure, i got mine very cheaply with a rebate but there are easier to use options

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Prices will now probably jump up as everyone wants to get a EOL cpu at a good price instead of paying new gen prices.

Plus there are a lot of AM4 boards out there and people will want to get the end-of-the-line upgrade. I know I'm considering it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I assume the rest of the Intel tests were on DDR4, then? Can't watch video right now. I'm interested in performance gains for DDR5 6400 lower in the stack.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A week or so ago, mdxi very kindly gifted me a used 3600, which I used to replace my 2600X. As a result, I have a free 2600X to give away. It will come with an unused stock cooler in a box for a 5600G, and I will ship it to you anywhere in the lower 48. First PM requesting it with a name and shipping address gets it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

There are no good AM5 mATX boards

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you’re anywhere near a micro center they will probably do it for you for free if you buy some poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Unfortunately no microcenter near me. I'll probably end up buying the cheapest CPU I can find on Ebay and hoping it works.

Do you have any local independent actual computer stores in your area? I know they are dying out but if there's one near you, I bet they could help you for cheap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kaddish posted:

I checked with one and they wanted to charge me $120 and it would take 2 weeks. Noped right out.

lol what the hell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

Hey, I wanna upgrade the 1800x to an okay midrange CPU. Is 7600x worth the 50% price increase over a sale 5600x?

Can't drop it in to to the same motherboard due to the new socket, so it's not just a 50% increase.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

drat near everything used micro-USB except Apple before USB-C showed up and there'll be new charging standards that consign USB-C to the dustbin in the future, too. Tech people are just particular about inconsequential poo poo whether it's charging cables or memory standards, and no tech company ever went bankrupt betting on that.

I don't think that's true for like laptops and poo poo, I don't think any of them used micro-USB charging. Chromebooks and Surfaces did, but not full-fat laptops. There will no doubt be another standard at some point, but I think USB-C is a lot more ubiquitous than micro-USB and a lot more standardized. Micro-USB also had a 10-pin format which was used for things like external hard drives that wanted USB 3.0 speeds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

He needs help. It was funny, but it's now concerning

It’s kind of funny in that it’s the most stereotypical kind of nerd rage possible but you’re right that the dude needs therapy bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Annath posted:

Gaming, no video trancoding or anything beyond streaming a Plex server to external devices.

Re: RAM - I already *have* the 64GB 3200 RAM, so swapping that out is a lower priority. I'll keep it in mind though.

Would the higher end CPU be terribly gimped by the 3200 RAM?

(also, I got 4 sticks for maximum RGB, but apparently they sell dummy sticks for exactly this purpose lmao).

E: I guess I will need to replace the ram anyway, since it's ddr4 and the mb uses ddr5...

If you get an AM4 motherboard and a 5800X3D that’s probably your most cost effective choice as it would allow you to reuse your RAM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

7700 is 65W and as far as I recall is faster in most games than a 5800X3D.
I built my htpc with a 7700 for that reason

I’d like to extend the life of my stupid low power AM4 build so it’s a really nice option for that!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

njsykora posted:

Well that sucks, feels super weird to do a single region product launch in this day and age.

they're not actually making anything

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

There are cars that literally no changes between some model years too. It’s clear what they’re trying to do, but if you’re going to just do model years then do model years?

It is very uncommon for cars to be straight carryover by model year with zero changes. Zero functional changes to you, the driver and owner of the car, sure. But changes to parts, changes to parts sources, and changes to manufacturing processes regularly occur that aren't visible to the end customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Should I not? I was planning on it, after doing a hand-me-down / leftovers build where the only other new parts were $50 worth of RAM and a $40 case, only to discover that a 1700X is slower than I thought and get tempted to blow the budget and upgrade. My kids want to play Planet Zoo and other stuff that won't run on the Intel iGPU they started gaming on.

$249 feels like a pretty decent value, I guess I could cheap out and get a 5600X for half that but the X3D and 8 cores sure is neat.

Edit: I have an AMD branded cooler with an RGB LED ring around it that looks a hell of a lot like the Phenom II X4 965 box cooler I had in 2009. I thought this was a wraith and what came with the 1700X, but I got this CPU, cooler, and MB given to me by my brother in law and don't know the whole history. Rather than taking a photo and showing y'all, I googled and apparently this is a Wraith Prism. It looks like it should do OK with a 5700X3D?

Paying more money on a budget build for eight cores and 3D cache seems like a waste for your budget scratch build’s use case. I would personally get the 5600, that’s still a pretty beefy professor and should support most games well, especially at 1080p.