Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
On this topic, how do people feel about using a thermal pad rather than paste (with a 5600X, if it matters)? I'm going to try to complete my build this weekend, now that my last part just arrived on my doorstep, and bought one with the intent of using it, but now I'm getting cold feet about not using paste with a new processor that apparently runs hotter than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
It occurs to me that the very fact of using a pad means that if I don't like how it's going after testing out the new build for a time it'll be fairly easy to switch to paste. I'm not planning on overclocking, so might as well try it to start and see how it goes.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
So I can still just plug in the RAM I bought to go with my new 5600x and not touch any settings or deal with any of this stuff, right?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Xaris posted:

Yes. You can run it at JEDEC 2133 speed and timings and have no problems leaving 15% performance on the table, or you can overclock it by enabling XMP/DOCP which may be unstable and crash your computer (or more common it'll work fine until that One Specific Game or Program keeps mysteriously crashing their computer and refusing to acknowledge this is the problem) because XMP isn't exactly great for Ryzens and leave ~5% performance on the table, or you can manually set memory multiplier and infinity fabric frequency.

Truga posted:

yeah although buying at least 3200mhz ram and enabling the XMP thing (it's called DOCP on my board) will give you a decent performance boost

Thanks. I am going to give XMP a shot and see what happens, but that's pretty much as far as I'd want to go, and if it doesn't work oh well. I did buy 3600mhz, so hopefully. I'm upgrading from an i5-4690k and (IIRC) 2133mhz to begin with, so I should be seeing quite a boost regardless.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 10, 2021

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Palladium posted:

I highly suggest you don't enable the mobo's one-button auto XMP since it might do some unneeded dangerous overvolting on something, but instead you should manually dial 1.35V for VDimm, the XMP clocks (e.g 3200MHz) and primary timings (e.g 16-18-18-36) yourself.

Update: I weighed the options and ultimately went with the mobo setting, and so far it's been entirely stable (only four days so far, but I've tested out the programs/games I typically play and they've gone just fine, so here's hoping nothing changes). Mobo claims the processor is running at 4.6 Ghz and the RAM at 3600, so I'll just trust in the system and see how it goes into the future. I do thank everyone for the kindly-given advice either way. Moving files/OS/loading times in games are definitely and noticeably much faster than my prior system, so I'm pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This has happened to several goons in this thread, another tip was to twist the cooler off, some of them say that in their directions.

Although I feel like this would make me even more worried about bending pins, but maybe my intuition is way off there.