Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Posting from my new Ryzen 5 1600X + B350 build mothafuckas. This is pretty spiffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Were you able to get your ram speeds squared away?

I'm at work right now and I went straight to bed last night when I finished building and installing Windows so I haven't had a chance to benchmark or speeds. The most the system has been on for is about 20 minutes last night and this morning but so far everything seems super stable. No errors on boot up or anything so quite happy. It's off right now as I wasn't gonna leave it on without being present.

This is the RAM I ultimately went with: CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2400. It was in the QVL for the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K (which, by the way, has a layout that I absolutely detest) so I went with it. No issues whatsoever but once I get home from work I'm gonna do all sorts of stress tests and benchmarks to make sure everything is smooth and stable and running at advertised speeds.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So the RAM is running at 2133, blargh.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Measly Twerp posted:

You've updated the bios right? Our motherboards are identical except yours is done up in flashy colours, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work :/

I was going to but I got warned off by ASRock's little message about how I really shouldn't if my system is already stable and given all the horror stories I've read so far about this brand new spanking architecture I kind of held off. I might just do that now though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Deuce posted:

I updated to 1002 on the Crosshair Hero VI and it wouldn't boot from full shutdown anymore after that :gonk:

Reflashed back to 9002 until I have more troubleshooting time.

I'm going to hold off lol

Right now minus the underclocked RAM everything is running beautifully with no issues. I think I'll savour that for a bit before I take anymore gambles.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just 2 sticks of 8gb each in my A2 and B2 slots.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, I don't know what to do with this build now. Somebody suggest benchmarks or something. 1600X + B350 + 16GB RAM

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

MaxxBot posted:

I've been meaning to ask someone with a Ryzen system to try testing an exponent in Prime95 for me.

Download Prime 95 and then go to Advanced -> Test and enter in "20996011" in exponent to test. No need to finish the entire thing just let it run for a bit and note the ms/iter and estimated completion time.

For reference that exponent took 16hr on a 2600k and 9hr 19min on a 6600k.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Everything's completely stock.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alright, after a couple days of stable running I just played overwatch for about 40 minutes, quit and after a couple minutes screen went red. Then BSOD and now it gets to the login screen but every time I log in it starts loading windows and blammo this happens:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hey! I was playing Lucio then Reinhardt. :mad:

Also shutting it off completely for a few seconds then starting back up seems to have resolved it.... for now!

Gonna update the BIOS and fingers crossed.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Measly Twerp posted:

According to the last response here it was a memory timing issue.

First, I'd try what he suggested and enter your memory timings manually. If it's still bad, you should update your bios, you can do it from within the bios itself.

Well, I just finished updating the BIOS from 2.40 out of the box to 2.60 latest on ASRock.

RAM is still showing up as 2133 instead of 2400 though.

Thanks for the link I'll read through it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Measly Twerp posted:

Have you enabled the XMP profile under the OC Tweaker tab? It should auto detect the speed then.

Yep, it's set to auto. Still showing up as 2133. RAMs in the right slot and everything, too. I mean I guess this is one of the most common issues with Zen.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

underage at the vape shop posted:

Are ryzen's reliable?

Ryzen turned my computer into a bomb.... and BLEW MY FAMILY TO SMITHEREENS!!!!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alright, so just got home and booted up into the UEFI (when the hell did UEFI replace BIOS?) and manually set the XMP profile cause on Auto it kept going down to 2133. It's up to 2400 now and immediately after booting into win 10 got a Reference_By_Pointer error. No biggie, rebooted and now I'm typing this post up and system manager is telling me it's running at 2400MHz.

Fingers crossed it stays this way with stability. For reference, ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K motherboard, 1600X and Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX RAM that's listed on the mobo's QVL.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you had a bsod right off the bat you're probably not stable. Run Prime95 with the blend test to see if its stable under CPU/mem load and start tweaking until the errors go away. You're risking system corruption if you run with known mem faults, especially when things like OS patches are being applied.

That didn't last long until it BSOD'ed, heh.

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Welp, I just put it all back to Auto and gonna maybe look into alternative RAM that I can exchange it for. I have like 10 days left to exchange it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeee, everything is in place as is and no there doesn't seem to be any documentation that I can find in regards to memory timings.

Reading around it just seems like Corsair RAM is far from ideal for the platform at the moment. Hell, Corsair doesn't even have any AM4 chipsets as part of their 'memory finder QVL' on their own site while most everyone else does. I'm pretty much leaning towards either G. Skill or Kingston's Fury line at this point. Plus, my DRAM is made by Hynix and it seems the Samsung manufactured DRAM is the ideal one to be on for Corsair. Hrumph...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, cool. So I went from:

to

and it seems to be way better already. It's not even underclocking the motherboard automatically reads it at 2400 unlike the Corsair which was forcing it to 2133. Plus, the Kingston just went on sale and was only $149.99 CAD so I ended up SAVING money in this transaction. :P

I think I'm done with Corsair products.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Arivia posted:

My Corsair memory has been working fine for me with my i5-7600k. I'd blame the immature Ryzen platform that's known to have memory issues more first.

Oh, I'm a big fan of Corsair products and ran Vengeance RAM in my previous system to this one. I just meant as in more of a 'moving on' sort of thing for a while. My own internal musings.

Risky Bisquick posted:

My Corsair branded Hynix memory works fine, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

https://valid.x86.fr/nf4khu

That's nice to see. I haven't come across too many people running Gigabyte B350 boards that have run into RAM issues although, frankly, I've been mainly looking at ASRock issues overall so...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Lol I'm pretty sure my ASRock AB350 Fatal1ty Gaming K just died. Was working fine last night. Shut it off, went to bed, went to work this morning, came home went to turn on my computer and...... nothing. Everything else turns on fine the CPU fans are going, GPU turns on, I can hear my platter have storage drive turn on but absolutely no POST, beeps or anything with zero video output.

Uuuughhhhhhhhh

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah I just can't troubleshoot until a couple hours from now. Pretty sure I'm still within my exchange window but still. Hopefully easy fix and not needing to resort to that.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Trying to clear the CMOS didn't work. Rear USB ports aren't powering any of my peripherals either. I'm fairly certain this board is pooch lmao :smithicide:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Measly Twerp posted:

Have you got a spare PSU you can try? Maybe it's failing to deliver power correctly :S

Unfortunately, no. It's a Corsair CS850M and a couple years old now. Carry over from the build just prior to this.

ufarn posted:

Tried the trick with pulling out the power cable and holding the power button for a minute (or however long it is)?

Usually this is for new hardware, but hey.

Yeah, I've pretty much gone through all the charging/discharging stuff there is to do at this point. I'm within my exchange date and 30-day manufacturer defect guarantee for Canada Computers so hopefully they won't give me poo poo about having to do an RMA through ASRock or whatever. I'm gonna swap it out for an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS since they don't have anymore of hte ASRocks in stock by me unfortunately.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Phone posting to say I hate places that have to test out stuff before you return/exchange and the tech guys are always the most anti social shitlords

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Risky Bisquick posted:

Be prepared to have them spend many minutes looking at the board in extreme detail trying to find signs of damage or the like.

I stood there for 20 minutes as he went and grabbed brand new RAM and an unopened Ryzen 5 1600 and just cut them open so he could open palm slam it into the mobo and hook everything up. Hey, guess what? Didn't POST.

Also I'm an idiot and forgot to include the I/O shield so he refused to do the exchange until I brought that. They closed at 8pm. I'm actually livid not because of my mobo dying but what kind of place closes at 8pm on a weekday?!

Tomorrow I'm gonna swap it out for the ASUS PRIME B350 Plus which, thankfully, my Kingston RAM is on the QVL for so no more swappery doo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is there as much unreliability and issues for the X370 as there is for the B350? I assume it's just Zen being immature but I'm curious if a step up in chipset is also a step up in build quality.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, that was.... an experience.

So I'm running the ASUS Prime B350 Plus now and it seems to be going fine. Stupid loving red LED along the board but whatever. I actually like the layout more than I do the ASRock.

Except with the ASRock board I did a clean install of Win 10 Pro and didn't run into activation issues. I guess since it regsitered yet another motherboard so quickly that activation became fucky not to mention that I didn't do another clean install. Remember the days where you could just call into that automated Microsoft line and punch in those sets of numbers to reactivate your Windows product key?

Because, holy gently caress. Had to get the live chat thing built in Win 10 to talk with an agent who, for the first time ever in my life, ended up remote connecting to my PC (with my permission of course) and proceeded to do all the steps I'd already done before he said "One second please let me speak with my supervisor" and.... gave me a brand new Windows 10 key. My old key went back to Win 8. That was definitely a new one for me.

Also, the live chat for Windows 10 is pretty awesome surprisingly.

For those curious for potential future builds, this ASUS board ran into no issues from the get go and the Kingston RAM I'm running is registering at the correct timings and frequency so yay. Hopefully this one doesn't poo poo the bed any time soon.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

The cybersecurity part of my brain is screaming

I know, right?!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This is probably opening a gate for mockery but does anyone here actively use the ASUS motherboard software side of things? I mean like Fan Xpert 2.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm fiddling with it and I really don't trust it. I was curious to see if there's anyone who is comfortable with how it regulates everything.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Looking at that and I probably would have given another dab or two. The amount of real estate on that fucker would have me really worried about it being too thin or not spreading properly at all, gat daym.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I really paid no attention to AMD for a long time. Was the generation before Ryzen really that bad?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

priznat posted:

I prefer the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

You make me sick.

How "future-proofed" am I with a AM4 and B350 mobo in terms of upgradeability?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

FaustianQ posted:

Also keep in mind that Nvidia and AMD do not hate each other like they loathe Intel.

What's this now? nVidia loathes Intel?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ShinAli posted:

Been waiting for Threadripper to upgrade my machine so I'm queuing up all the parts I'm going to buy, but I need a sanity check on memory because I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm looking at the motherboards and they're all saying they support up to DDR4-3600; can I just get any brand of DDR4-3600? Do I need to get 4 sticks in order to get it to clock at 3600? I heard some brands of memory were getting issues to clock right with Ryzen.

My original build of a 1600X with an ASRock Fatal1ty B350 board and Corsair DDR4-2400 16GB RAM kept underclocking to 2133 even with BIOS updates.

Swapped out the Corsair RAM for some sweet delicious Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 CL15 16GB RAM and everything was 100% peachy. Then the motherboard died. So now I've been on an ASUS Prime B350-Plus and no RAM issues, stability issues or anything of that sort for a month and a half. Personally, I'd go with Kingston.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I need that RGB on my RAM, i need RGB cases and chairs... i need RGB veins god admmit

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

priznat posted:

Sadly blood is just R.

Actually you could make your arteries red and your veins blue itd be great make it happen G.Skill

My vascular system is augmented.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'll let you know when I get a dozen or so youtube notifications at once.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Here's your first AIO that covers the entire dang thing for Threadripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHM0srYhdSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know when the Threadripper NDA drops and a few dozen reviews will drop simultaneously?

I'm a man of my word.

I just got a dozen notifications of Threadripper reviews.

I hope this helped and concludes our transactionary relationship.