Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm not going to buy a new computer till I come back from mob which is will be in like a year and a quarter so by then I'll decide if an AMD processor is for me.

Zen already sort of spooked Intel to release 6 core processors so hopefully their new offerings are even more competitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its probably real its just not the chip people think it is. I seriously doubt thats going to be the cheap $100 buck one

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

40 higher tdp for a .1ghz boost?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

Navi + Ryzen demo just crashed.

lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cygni posted:

So claiming parity with the 9900k in gaming with 10 more watts of TDP with the 3800X. Price gonna be real important.

Its supposed to be $400 unless they purposely mislead in the prestream

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

So $79 for an extra 100 MHz and a higher pre-configured TDP limit on their "mainstream gaming processor"?

Its stupid, its just there to make the jump to the 3900x more palatable

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The GN guy is pretty adamant that the 16 core chip is being made, just not announced and he spent better part of the month saying that all the rumors of 5ghz were completely unrealistic and you should temper your expectations

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its there any advantage outside of PCI4 over using a 4XX one?I dont want to deal with the heat/extra wattage and price if there isn't more tangible benefits

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is there a list of 370/470 mobos that allow you to flash the bios without a cpu in them?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jesus christ I know I cant justify like $500 on a processor but if I did I'd buy this

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Based on history is the 65w 3700x or 105w 3800x going to have higher limits for OC?

The only reason I'd buy a 3800x is if it can overclock better, if it doesn't then I just cant justify the price increase

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When I was almost done with the mob I was psyched about building a new computer using all the payout from the vacation days I never used. Then the Zen2 leaks started to come out and I said "well might as well wait" what happen was I've been waiting for two months now AND I got to move somewhere else for work, so might as well not buy the parts till I'm situated in the new apartment next month.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im moving to NY in a week and hopefully the stocks of 3700x at the microcenters are good because I'm pretty much settled on it and a 2070S.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was thinking of just getting a 570 with the 3700x in a few weeks just to avoid flashing but given the extra power drain on the CPUs on some models and the dumb fan I might just get a 470

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Derbaur showed about 5w difference in chipset power use, I believe?

Some motherboards are doing SOMETHING to increase powerload by like 20-30w thats not related to the chipset.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Khorne posted:

Chipset difference is ~5W-8W depending on what's going on (~7.5W total idle draw on x570 which is high, ~10W most serious loads on x570). It will draw well under 20W even in the most extreme circumstances, and those circumstances aren't prime95.

Their test is accidentally measuring something else. As evidenced by Asus and MSI having wildly different results. I'd bet it's simply motherboard vendors doing dumb stuff with CPU voltages or different AGESA versions.

der8auer video where he measures the chipset for real. And compares it to x470.

Some 570 motherboards (asus/msi in particular) are overvolting the poo poo out of the cpu/memory out of the box for some reason thats whats causing the extra energy use.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm mostly wondering if there's more PBO headroom than the 3700x. I doubt it's significant, but I'm curious.

Yeah I'm sure AMD originally thought that the better binned 3700xs will be rebranded as 3800x but it sure as hell looks like the chips just dont push clocks that high and no amount of binning is going to help.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still dont know what to get, the performance delta between the 3600 and the 3700x being so small in games but the price one being so high is starting to make me consider the 3600. But who knows if developers will start to focus more on multi threading now that 10+ threads might become the norm.

I still have about two weeks till I can build the system but I'm starting to get antsy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think they will because reserving a multi-threaded core for OS operations is significantly better than reserving a non multi-threaded one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm terribly annoyed at a friend that's saying the 5800X is bad because it just manages to draw even with the i7-9700K, for almost twice the price... and their citation is userbenchmark.com

I always thought "well OK that site is super-biased but any real enthusiast is going to do their homework" and... well... I guess not.

I mean hearing tech jesus he's saying 5800x is bad for different reasons. For gaming a 5600x is more than enough pulling better numbers for nearly half cost than an intel offering but that extra $150 on the 5800x doesnt net you any noticeable performance increases and for production you might as well spring for the other more expensive amd chips if you can.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A 7600x was apparently spotted in the wild and its benching about 10% harder than a 5950x.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cygni posted:

Ryzen 7000 is now rumored to be price equivalent to the 5000 series at launch.

I mean sort of. The 7600x is price equiv to a 5600x and a 7700x is supposed to be the price of a 5800x.

But those werent particularly good deals then and AMDs position is a bit weaker now with intel getting their poo poo straight.

Well have to look at performance when the benches come out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The 5700x at $400 is way more palatable than with the extra $50 even though the difference isnt that big cost wise. Its a psychological thing

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I want the mobo manufacturers to come up with the prices for their poo poo already. Thinking of just buying a x670 board instead of just waiting another month and getting a b650

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I saw those yesterday. Want to see gigabytes offerings too but they havent posted them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you are taking the entire system into consideration then maybe pick up 5600mhz ram but most of the time you'll be getting negligible results and when you are cpu bound then you may get around 10% more frames for 100% the price when CPU bound.

Its "just" $90- $100 more for the faster ram but I'm guessing a good cooler is going to have a bigger impact with these coming processors than going one step above in ram speeds.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

100% the price of what? 2x16GB of DDR5-4800 is currently $145 for the cheapest kits available while DDR5-5600 is $160, which looks like 10% more expensive to me. And it's even cheaper in some bundles.

DDR4 won't be an option with Zen 4, so there's not much point in discussing the price of that (except with regards to total platform costs, which is going up unfortunately)

Im basing it on the video where he's running 16GB of DDR5-4800 vs 32 4800 and 32 at 5600. The ~10% increase in performance almost always comes from going from 16GB to 32GB at a higher speed. Its less significant when running 32GB at slower speeds, even if its still there (and at that point why not just get the 5600)

The idea is that if you are on a budget you can get 16GB of DDR5 and just upgrade to 32 later.

Im getting 32 at 5600 when I order the motherboard and cpu in a few weeks. Maybe I should get the ram now in case the prices spike because of zen 4

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Only sort of bios wierdness I heard was asrocks innordinate first boot time issue but apparently its been fixed. Would like to know what other bios stuff is happening behind the scenes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yo these new mobos and chips come out in a few days why aren't any retailer letting me preorder the parts WTF

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Only if you care about the second column, ST numbers are still basically the same.

Yeah, the test scales with the amount of cores so of course an 8 core part is going to have about half of the performance of a 16 core part.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Intels plans were to raise the prices of the offerings so it will be interesting if they decide to hold off on that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its literally in the documentation AMD sent. With default configurations you will hit thermal limits before you hit power ones

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I would like motherboard reviews now please

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nah, im not waiting for raptor lake. Ill get a 7700x now and 3 years from now get the 10800x3d or whatever.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They might but it’s more likely that they’ll do things like release non x version of processors and the 3d cache 7800x to fill in the product stack and compete at lower prices and higher perf sets.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Newegg has a few for less than $300. Even a few E types under it, but from asrock lmao

These boards at most would be like $225 at most for their 650 variants.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 27, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CoolCab posted:

lemmie work this out:

right now the minimum cost to get a 7600X platform up and running (discounting the parts that you'd pay for either way) is 320 for the CPU, 270 for the cheapest Xx70 motherboard and then lets go reasonable on the ram with this fairly decent price to performance 16 gig kit for 82 pounds. all in cost of 672 pounds.

for a product that already is out i'm going to use promo pricing which isn't fair but is probably more representative of the actual reasonable price. here's a promo that was 450 but is now 549, thanks a ton the pound. i could trivially do 32 gigs of fast DDR4 with the remaining £123, and wind up with a machine better at gaming without trying very hard at all.

Heres the thing, the 7600x might be a bad deal but its still faster on average than a 5800x 3D for games. The games that take advantage of the cache skew heavily in favor of it, but if it doesnt then the 7600x will be better.

Wait a few months and you can shed like 200 pounds on the am4 package with a none x chip, 650 board and cheaper ddr5 ram.

Unless truss tanks your currency harder of course

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 27, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I got the gigabyte one so I'll let everyone know if its absolute poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I get the parts on friday. Had I still been in new york I would have taken a sick day to go to jersey and pick up the parts at the microcenter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For some reason Newegg says my chip and ram get here today while my fan and mobo get here tomorrow. Despite both shipping out from the same warehouse, at the same time