Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Progressive JPEG posted:

My last AMD was an Athlon XP 2100+

It ran really hot

My last one was a socket 939 Athlon X2... 4800+, I think.

But then there's only one desktop CPU between that and my current Intel Haswell processor. I might well be going back to AMD on my next CPU, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Seamonster posted:

Hell yeah let my 1080 run hogge wilde (coming from a 2500k)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm also eyeing a 3700x coming from a 2500k... 8 years of waiting finally pays off!

Don Dongington posted:

Just replaced my 2500k crew chiming in.

jesus christ just merge the Intel/AMD threads into one titled "x86: we literally can't stop talking about sandy bridge"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khorne posted:

I hope nvidia releases an actual new gen and doesn't try to price gouge

pfffffthahahahahahahaha

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SO DEMANDING posted:

Yeah, now try shopping for an mITX board :shepicide:

The various b450/x470 ITX boards are all a collection of various compromises, the rear IO is what annoys me the most. Listen, I've seen you assholes stick 10 or more USB ports on your ATX boards, what the hell is this 6 port garbage all about?

Some of the new x570 boards are better on that front, but with the chipset fan (barf) and likely increased cost I'm probably gonna end up with an Asus Rog strix B450-I. Waiting for B550 boards to come out is just gonna be too drat long.

If having "only" six USB ports on the rear is the least-worst compromise you can find, seems to me it's time to just bite the bullet and grab a USB hub.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stickman posted:

Everyone assumes the AMD chips will be much cheaper, so yeah it’s a much bigger deal than Intel’s premium “lead”. People are also excited about the prospect of dropping a Zen 3 chip into their existing hardware instead of buying a new motherboard again for this year’s Skylake.

Intel’s lead is terrible value to the vast majority of gamers. IPC uplift on a new AMD generation is much better value :shrug:

How often do you (or these people you speak of) upgrade CPUs?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

teagone posted:

I believe my Manchester-based Athlon 64 X2 rig still boots. It's on an Epox 9NPA+ nForce 4 based mainboard with 2x GeForce 6800GS cards in SLI. I have it stowed away in the crawlspace now, but I last booted it up maybe like 3-4 years ago? And it worked just fine, lol.

About ten years ago I dug out my X2 and tried to boot it, only to find that multiple capacitors on the motherboard had failed. (It did actually boot, but would only stay up for a couple of minutes before abruptly powering off.) I put in for a warranty replacement with eVGA and they wound up sending me an Intel LGA 775 board because they didn't have any 939 boards left lol.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah my last two desktop CPUs were Intel but if I had to build a new one today I'd probably go AMD.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Craptacular! posted:

And you would use this over other itx boards, because...?

Onboard 2x10Gb NICs. One of my friends is actually torn because he wants mini-ITX for his next desktop, but he also wants a 10G link to his storage array.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, I mean a board with different slots for different types of memory. I played with a couple of boards that came out in a transitional period and had slots for DDR and DDR2, like 2 of each, and could run one or the other. Looks like this was one of them: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8I915P-Duo-Pro-A-rev-10#ov

There were also SDR/DDR boards too - the ECS K7S5A comes to mind.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pixaal posted:

I don't think I've ever seen computers in fiction be anywhere near as powerful as they should be unless they don't really specify. They always forget to Moore's law which isn't perfect but c'mon it should get you a ballpark number and current computers shouldn't be able to catch up until the fictional date you are in.

Commander Data's stated storage and computation capabilities aren't quite as impossibly big to modern sensibilities as they probably were in the late eighties, but it's still pretty drat impressive that he packs all of it into a container the size of a human skull, and doesn't noticeably heat up the room just by thinking really hard.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At least the desktop parts had a usually consistent pattern (i3 = 2C/4T, i5 = 4C/4T, i7 = 4C/8T), what annoyed me was the laptop parts seemingly had no pattern.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I accidentally ripped a socket 939 CPU out of the locked socket a couple of times when trying to pull a heatsink off as well. Scared the hell out of me every time, but I got lucky and never killed anything. At least we're not still stuck levering on heatsink retention tabs with flathead screwdrivers!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ijyt posted:

The -3% on BFV. :unsmith:

lol what the hell is happening there, anyway?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

K8.0 posted:

I don't think the 5600X will be a great buy at release. A 3600 and saving your money for when you actually need more power would make more sense. Or as Paul would say, just buy an 8700k three years ago.

6-9 months from now, the 5600X and 5900X will probably be solid value processors if their prices decline a bit.

I'm planning on upgrading from Intel Haswell. By the time that 3600 isn't cutting it for me, I'd probably jump to a new motherboard and DDR5. I'm fine with spending the extra for Zen3.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a war crime that TNG-era Star Trek is not available in HD and officially will never be

They recorded on video tape at NTSC resolution so it just looks terrible even at the source

That's not true. TNG, DS9, and Voyager were all shot on 35mm film; they were edited on videotape. TNG was fully remastered from the film negatives a few years ago and had a Blu-Ray release, followed by eventual streaming availability.

Unfortunately, between limited demand for Blurays and CBS completely loving up on their sales strategy (they should have yanked the streaming rights and pulled as many of the DVD boxsets as they could prior to the release, but they didn't) they didn't make money on the project; barring something like some rich turbo-nerd cutting CBS a check to pay for it, it's extremely unlikely we'll get remastered DS9 or Voyager.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

I think they did all new CGI effects to replace the models that TNG used for special effects anyways. From what I've heard, the people that did CGI on DS9 and Voyager still have a lot of the original 3D models and such, and in higher detail than needed for SDTV. One of the hard parts of doing the HD TNG episodes was apparently digging up all of the film and figuring out what parts of each film matched to each episode. I guess it's not like they just have each episode mastered to where you have a roll of film with every bit of that episode on it. Anyways, they could do a season at a time of DS9 and Voyager in HD and then after it's played on All Access enough, they could then put it on Bluray and not make streaming and Bluray compete. It'd keep me paying for the service each month and then I'd probably buy the Blurays too.

Old old article: http://blog.trekcore.com/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

There are a few shots that had to be re-done in CGI because there were missing elements (each one of those starship exteriors is like seven different passes that are composited together), but most of the model photography was rescanned and used.

I'm really much more interested in seeing richer color, contrast, and fidelity on the live-action character scenes anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there any guide as to which motherboards are already compatible with Zen3?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah sorry I guess I meant, will work with Zen3 out of the box. I'll be building an all-new system and would prefer not to have to do a BIOS update if possible.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaptainPsyko posted:

Otherwise you get to be a dumbass like me and (if you are lucky enough to have this option to provide a weak ethical balm) buy an open box 3600 from your local Microcenter, install a bios update, and then return it. (If no micro center, then I guess you get to do this through Amazon, whose return policy is suitably generous, and feel a bit more wasteful and/or righteous about having hosed over Jeff Bezos ever so slightly).

I thought AMD did some kind of CPU loan arrangement so that people didn't have to gently caress around with returns.

Still, alright, guess I'll have to look for a flashback board then. I absolutely don't want to have to gently caress around with installing a temporary CPU just to update the goddamn BIOS.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 2, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
imagine lining up in person for a loving computer part during a pandemic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaris posted:

Try the 1usmus Ryzen Universal Power Plan

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-power-plan-for-amd-ryzen-new-developments/

As part of using this, make sure to go into your BIOS and set:

Ugh jesus I really hope I don't have to do any of this fiddly poo poo for whatever Zen3 chip I eventually buy

Like loving come on, it's 2020, processor idling should absolutely be a "just works" thing at this point

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Any word on what the optimal RAM speed is for Zen 3? A quick Google search showed me a bunch of pre-launch speculation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

You might’ve knocked something loose but remember ryzen motherboards have a tendency to just take 2-5 minutes to post at random. It’s usually due to a first time memory change but :shrug:

jesus christ AMD users put up with a bunch of fiddly bullshit

like... I will be too, eventually, once Zen 3 is actually in stock. but how is this poo poo a thing in 2020?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how come the interminable memory chat is always "oh ya find some e-die, find 3600/3800/4000/9999mhz" or whatever, but never any actual links to example good sets of ram?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fauxtool posted:

somehow still in stock.
Do people really not want a 5800x that much?

Holy poo poo! Thanks!! I just ordered one.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bus hustler posted:

you know what? great, i hope games are that awesome in only 3 years or so. that would own, I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

lol at assuming increased hardware requirements mean the game is better

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's DDR5 supposed to bring that people are excited for? i keep seeing people mention it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh yeah that's the downside I forgot to mention, expectation is that it's gonna be way more expensive than DDR4 especially the prices in the current ddr4 glut

probably gonna be like $300+ for 32GB where you can get 2x16GB ddr4 kits for like $75 now

jesus gently caress

yeah, glad i'm buying into DDR4.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twerk from Home posted:

My own personal path was that I had a Wolfdale E8xxx something Core 2 Duo, won a Phenom II at Quakecon, and it turned out that the Phenom II was slower at single threaded tasks, but faster at multi-threaded, so kind of a side-grade. I hopped to a 2500K once Sandy Bridge hit though, because.... who didn't?

Me, I'm the guy who skipped Sandy Bridge. I rode my E8500 C2D all the way to my current Haswell i5-4670 (it's not even a K-model!), which will soon be replaced with a 5800X.

Most of my new build parts are arriving on Friday... but the case won't show up until Monday. :negative:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mdxi posted:

A week ago my Micro Center had the 3900X in stock and $70 off ($430). Yesterday morning they were just plain out of stock. Today they're in stock again, but no longer on sale. In fact, MC has priced them above MSRP, at $530.

I guess people are super-horny for Ryzens. (I'm not throwing stones; I was horny for Ryzens and bought a 3900X at $550 at MC last year, a couple weeks after release)

I'm jizzen' for Ryzen!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I just installed a 5800x from ANTOnline last night, so far it's been pretty easy. Had a brief moment of panic when that first boot took a while to POST, but aside from that the flashback process was painless, install seems to have gone well, and appeared to take the XMP profile with no problems so far.

I thrashed the hell out of the CPU for a bit with Prime95, I'm able to get it up to around 85-86C but it's still staying under the 90C max so whatever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What's good software to manage fan speeds with these days?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrDork posted:

Yes, but then how can they force you to spend $500 to upgrade from a 256GB to a 512GB drive?

And take it out and run recovery software on it? Excuse me, that's a very weird way to say "take it to the Apple Store and pay $300+ to have them try and tell you your data is gone" (which, tbf, is what'll happen anyhow--data recovery from a SSD is all but impossible in a lot of cases).

I think the more common "recovery" aspect would be if some other core component failed and you wanted access to the data on the still-functional SSD. I had a MS Surface Pro poo poo the bed at work a year or two ago - some firmware problem, allegedly - and Microsoft's policy was if they can't get it to boot off a thumb drive, you're out of luck.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SwissArmyDruid posted:

On a desktop system, where I can get at the CPU cooler much more easily, I'll use Thermalnaut, because I repaste my desktop components on an annual or biennial basis anyways just out of habit, and can therefore take advantage of the extra one or two degrees in better thermals.

:stare:

That is such an alien notion to me. I've only ever cleaned and re-applied paste after pulling a cooler off. My Haswell system still has the same paste I applied back in 2013.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

denereal visease posted:

Then it'll blow your loving mind to know that people crack open and repaste GPUs :ghost:

I mean, I can totally believe people doing that once, because they think they'll do a better job or use better paste than the factory did.

But on a regular basis? That's bizarre.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Re: BIOS chat last page: do you folks routinely update your BIOS just because a new version came out? I generally just let it ride unless there's some buggy behavior I'm trying to address.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I mean sure, if there's a specific known issue like software compatibility or a bug or whatever, that's a good reason to update BIOS; it's not like I've never done it before. But I'm not an overclocker and I don't spend time tweaking for marginal performance gains, so the thought of applying a BIOS update when the system is stable and functioning normally is just weird to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I guess the real question is, if there's performance gains to be had, how much is being left on the table by someone like me who might have just done one update (to implement Zen 3 support) and then never touched BIOS

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This has been true for every generation of DDR - it's been my usual practice to avoid new generations for like a year until processes mature, particularly since performance compared to previous gen doesn't usually show significant improvement over the same time frame.

I was so baffled when people were all "ooh I'm gonna wait for DDR5" like dude who the hell is horny to be an early adopter for memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

repiv posted:

i don't know why we need two or more relatively slow CPU threads when the GPU thread lumps everything together and works fine, but IIRC there was pushback to a CPU megathread last time it came up

shsc just loves segmentation, there's like three separate work chat threads. see klyith mentioning overclock chat when, hey, there's already an overclocking megathread! :buddy:

"nuhhhh there's weird fiddly platfrom bullshit" there's nothing stopping that being discussed in a combined x86 thread. ridiculous