Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
seriously, also the RGB software is all trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is the 5900x just two 8 core chips that got binned down?

Is that worse or better than the 5800x that has a single "perfect" 8 core for single threaded stuff or does it not matter.

Does 12 cores mean it'll suck up literally twice as much power as a 6 core if both are running at 100%?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

bus hustler posted:

Since 5600x are out there now and the street date is broken to consumers let alone insiders/reviewers the Passmark score is prob real eh?

it still only shows 1 sample, so not yet...

does make me excited though

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
16 core/32 thread 128gb 3090 custom loop posting machine

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
BH has zen 3s open for preorder somehow.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...A07_NEW_RELEASE

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
So 5900x are basically impossible to get?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Check your background processes, there might be something that's trying to do stuff so the chip is always running at load.

I had a similar issue, I think ryzen chips are not as good at management or maybe more trigger happy to load up all the cores instead of just 1 or 2.

Or maybe windows 10 is just doing more poo poo

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Have there been any 5900x sold after release day? I haven't gotten any hits via distill.io in any store.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
so at what point do we go from happy that AMD is competitive to angry that we can't get the 5900x?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how are people getting 5900x?? the supply feels worse than the 3080

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

NewFatMike posted:

A finger on a monkey's paw at Ubisoft curls closed...

ubisoft changes name to Omelas. games that come out are amazing except there's a developer in misery

wait

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
my bh 5900x is being delivered today!

salvation at last

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I'm sure this thread has covered it but holy cow the 5900x runs hot.

Playing with a few EVE online clients, CPU runs at 85C.

This is on a EK water block. I think I was getting low 60s on a 3600x

Edit
Running 9 fans on full with 100% pump brings it down to 73 lmao

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 15, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

VorpalFish posted:

That sounds... Pretty high. Granted the 3600x is pulling much less power but still. How much radiator space is that with? Is the CPU the only part in the loop? What's your coolant temp sitting at under that load?

Are those CPU temps from ryzen master or another program?

They're HWinfo numbers, CPU Die (average). The CCD1 and CCD2 numbers are 10-15 degrees lower but the Tctl number is slightly higher. I don't use Ryzen master because I need the virtualization.

I have 720mm radiator space and my coolant sits at 42C, but I do run my fans and pump at 25% until coolant hits 45C, that's why I also mentioned the 100% everything temps.

It does go through a 3080 first though, but that shouldn't make a huge diff. I remember the cpu being only a few degrees cooler when I didn't have the 3080 yet.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

So weird, you're 10c cooler then my friend using an nhd15s with two fans. (5900x)

I guess that's fine and sounds about right. Water should be cooler than air right?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

VorpalFish posted:

42c for coolant honestly sounds pretty high for 720mm of rad space and ~500w of heat load unless ambient is pretty high as well tbh but I'm not gonna claim to be any kind of water cooling expert, and I guess 25% can mean very different things depending on what fans you're using.

Ambient here is around 25c. But I have 3 noctua intakes and 6 generic fans out. Maybe something's just constantly exploding and I don't realize. Or maybe the water temp monitor is wildly inaccurate.

This is my 2nd water system but the 1st was maybe 12 years ago so I don't have much experience on water. I do set my fans to the point where I cannot hear them and subsequently get angry at any electrical noise coming out of the mobo/gpu.

Anyways, I guess zen 3s are just hot af.

edit: just stuck a meat thermometer into my water :ssh: it's accurate within 2 degrees so shrug

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 15, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

DrDork posted:

As a general rule you want slightly more intake airflow than exhaust airflow in order to help keep dust out--3 v 6 is pretty unbalanced.

Yep, that's why the noctuas are intakes, and I run them slightly faster for the coveted positive pressure. Tested with state of the art toilet paper streamers.

The heat coming out of the radiators feel like a space heater on low. My cats like to lie on the shelving because of that, where the side mount blows.

I did a prime95 bench and it never went past 78C, pure CPU ofc. Maybe space mining simulators just push systems to their limit.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 16, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
As far as backups go, it's pretty easy to setup your own time-machine so I wouldn't consider that expensive, apple's recovery of data based on timemachine backups work amazingly well, better consumer-level simple backup and recovery than anything else I've seen

Soldered storage is weird when M2 is already so slim but meh. They probably have numbers that the space savings are worth the extra repair issues they get.

I still have my own desktops and servers, etc, but over the years, I've realized they're only a hobby. Anytime anything breaks that I know I can fix, I just sigh and spend an evening doing it when I would rather offload it to someone else.

Enterprise is another world ofc, but Apple should probably not care about them too much. Anytime a company caters to enterprise, their products start sucking hard for normal users.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
probably, their software has lots of dumb decisions, especially appstore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i didn't read it all but does this mean I can keep the laptop constantly plugged in and the battery will be fine?