Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I thought like everyone played everything fullscreen windowed for years now, what's the alleged "something bad" for not playing full fullscreen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
So hang on to my 2500k for another 3 years if the RAM and mobo hold up, got it.

Gyah, the Intel 9 series release has me itchin for Zen 2 news.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
AMD Next Horizon event has been goin for a bit, I'm just now tuning in :toot:

Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwX13bo0RDQ

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I was lazily looking forward to it, but after installing Asscreed Odyssey with a 2500k it can't come soon enough! Dear AMD pls announce a 3700x with maybe an even better cooler that comes out before the FFXV DLC

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

We're live :toot:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

aluminumonkey posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm upgrading my 2500k to a 2700X for now, then to whatever 3rd Gen Ryzen is equivalent when they come out.

Count me in too - I've been itching to replace the 2500k setup since about FFXV came out and hammered it, a 9700k setup just sounds way too goddamn expensive, and another 6 months for the Zen 3000s sounds too long. I'm working my way through Asscreed Odyssey now with some lowered settings, had to lower settings on FFXV and new Tomb Raider, and with Anthem and FFXV DLC on the way watching the 2500k choke out and bottleneck my 1080 is getting painful.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
X-post cause from Parts I was talking about it here too:

2500k@4.5 (with 8gb DDR-1600) swap over to a 2600x (with 16gb DDR-3000) complete! Replaced the power supply in the process, and gyah forgot how long it really takes to actually swap out all that stuff and the wires and clean years of dust and funk in the process, whew. Using the cooler+paste that comes with the 2600x and folks are right it's kinda noisy, though I haven't crawled down and confirmed that's where the sound is coming from. Not worrying about a replacement cooler since I'm probably switching to a Zen2 chip when they come out anyway, figure I'll wait till then.

It's pretty darn cool to have just thrown it together, turned on XMP-2, and bam I'm all set without spending 2 days tweaking and testing overclock settings! Still on the agenda to try and get the advertised 3000mhz and CL15 timing for the RAM, the profile put it at 2933 and CL16. And I haven't done stress testing and watching temps and volts and all that to verify everything's looking good either outside of launching CPU-Z and seeing some CPU speed spikes up to ~4.3ghz.

Couple quick modern benchmarks before and after, same settings and everything. Turned out about as expected - not much of a difference in raw framerate, but overall smoothed out with better frame times and less hitching and stutter. Note, the TR bench is on DX11 cause DX12 caused my last setup to completely take a dump when in game, so while it's an apples to apples comparison there, it may bench better on the 2600x if I turned DX12 back on.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

Asscreed Odyssey:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

What brand RAM did you buy? I heard how finicky Ryzen was when it came to RAM sticks so I bought 16GB of AMD-optimized DDR4-3200 G.Skill Trident Z RGB. Had absolutely no trouble getting those two sticks to 3200Mhz with A-XMP.

I went for all-core overclocking on my 2700x instead of letting Precision Boost do its thing and wound up with a stable 4.23Ghz @ 1.3625v. Before then I was getting brief single-core spikes of 4.5Ghz @ 1.5v.

I went with:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) ($119.99 @ Amazon)

I'm booted to it at 3000MHz right now and almost the advertised timings, but it's reporting at CAS 15 instead of the 16 that's set in BIOS for whatever reason (screens and junk here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=630#post491736471). It's sounding like I should probably return it and get some 3200 for :tenbux: more instead though. This is on my board's QVL and sitting in my cart, 12 hours to pull the trigger and have it show up by Saturday:
Patriot Viper 4 Series Extreme Performance DDR4 16GB (2 X 8GB) 3200MHz Kit (PC4-25600) PV416G320C6K

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What you have said here is in direct contradiction to your other post? A lower CAS is better. Around or past the DDR4-3000 mark, slightly slower RAM with a lower CAS may prove equal or better to faster ram with a higher CAS.

Groovy, thanks! Knowing that I think I'll just stick with what I have and not eff with the whole return/swap process. Now to just try and figure out why setting tCL to 15 in the BIOS is appearing to show up as 16 in CPU-Z/HwInfo64. (I'm re-reading the posts and not seeing what contradiction I said?)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Those are two diametrically-opposed scenarios.

I'm setting CL15 in the BIOS, but once it boots it shows as CL16 in utilities in Windows. Apparently cause (with some googling to back it up

B-Mac posted:

From what I’ve read Ryzen won’t run with odd cl timings unless you disable a certain memory setting, might be “geardown” but I’m not 100% sure.

(so BIOS allows me to put 15 in the field but it just goes to 16 anyway) which puts me back at maybe I'll cross my fingers and see if I can either hit CL14 or 3200Mhz, and/or just return it for some 3200 cause 10bux to get CL16 3200 over CL16 3000 when I'll probably be using it at least a few years sounds like the way to go.

Little more on my 2500k->2600x trip report, Overwatch deffo feels smoother even though my 2500k was exceeding my 96hz refresh. Few minutes of Asscreed was smoother in a town/hub. It's not screaming fast, but Frame Times Matter and so far I'm happy with the purchase for smoothing out the hiccupps I was running in to more often with the 2500k, looking forward to trying more games.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
My RAM conundrum seems solved, my CL15 3000Mhz rated memory booted up and ran Asscreed for an hour or so no prob at CL16 3200Mhz (wanna say it was 16-18-18-18-36). :)