Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but how long will it be before PC SSD catch up to the one found in the PS5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. Should it be something to worry about if I'm trying to "future proof" a PC build for next-gen a year from now?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

No, because future proofing is a pointless endeavor, especially when you're future-proofing against hype and advertising and not a real product.

Buying storage right now with games in mind, nvme isn't a bad idea since the additional price over a sata drive isn't very high. But we've yet to see a game that sees any real benefit from nvme on PC, and PC has had fast storage for a long time now. There's more to it than just "the consoles with their laptop HDDs were holding everything back". There's also how rebuilding your level loading code to max out a nvme drive is not trivial, and is work that many games would rather spend on making the part of the game people play.

Plus there's the fact that the new consoles are looking like $500 minimum in an economic disaster year, so there's probably gonna be an extended switchover period where a lot of games will be made for previous gen as well.

My take is that it's "real" speed, since supposedly using the compressed blobs will be the only choice for the PS5... But my other take is there's no free lunch and using a special compressed format has a set of limitations or at least implications to it. Slamming big blobs of data straight into ram for example, only works if you've pre-generated and stored everything in the same format as you use it in ram, which afaik is not the norm at all.

I see. So will my RAID 0 dual HDD get me by for like two or three more years?

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not really clear how much it is going to be a measurable and significant advantage versus just using an SSD or an NVMe drive, and how much of it is marketing hype.

If you're building a new computer now, then the only thing to really look out for is to get a B550 or X570 board if you're on AMD so you can make use of PCIe 4.0, get an NVMe drive, and install your games into that drive.

If you're on Intel, you can't even get PCIe 4.0 yet - the Z490 motherboards might be able to support it physically, but the CPUs cannot and won't be able to until Rocket Lake.

Beyond that, you can't "future proof" any harder because nothing elsec currently exists that would be better as far as maximizing your storage transfer speeds.

I see. Thank you.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the advice.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

If you want to show up the PS5 people in a big way, get a bigass RAMdrive and learn to use junction points. Or there are multiple programs specifically for that already.

1TB RAM sticks can't come soon enough.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Isn't Zen 4 suppose to be the "big" upgrade?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cygni posted:

By AMD's determination, they considered Zen->Zen2 an evolution step in the actual architectural design of the cores (obviously everything else was changed), Zen 3 the big arch leap forward, and Zen 4 is another evolution.

But like Vir pointed out, its moving to a new process and will have a new IO die (with DDR5+PCIe5). The downside is that it wont be around until 2022, and it seems like Zen3+ is real and going to fill the gap.

I see. Is it likely the first half of 2022 or the latter half of 2022? I think that will determine whether or not I should wait.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So this article caught my eye about Apple's M1. Is it likely that we'll see more CPU competitors enter the market, including the OEM that could give AMD and Intel a run for their money?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So how long will it be before AMD starts releasing desktop CPUs?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So it's suppose to be next year that AMD releases CPUs that are a major step up from anything else on the market correct?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've always felt this was extremely touch & go on AMD's part, Intel is supposed to be releasing Alder Lake this year, and if it's as good as they claim, AMD could be under a lot of pressure.

Intel was claiming that the e-cores alone are 40% faster than skylake cores, while consuming less than 40% of the power consumption. That's some pretty serious poo poo to go up against if they're being truthful about it. I am personally skeptical - Intel is probably using some obscure benchmark that may not be relevant for typical usage - but if they're in that ballpark, sparks will fly.

Yeah, 2022 should be the year where I finally build a new PC and upgrade my literally ancient CPU.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So when are these new CPUs that are suppose to be a "huge leap" (well bigger than usual) over the current generation suppose to come out again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

lih posted:

think Zen 4 launch is currently expected around October, before the end of the year for sure

performance rumours seem to be that generational gains are a bit bigger than Zen 2 to 3

October it is for my ancient PC upgrade then.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If you want the yugest leap possible, juicy rumors claim that Zen 5 is a home run just like RDNA 3.

30% IPC gain over Zen 4 (which is ~20% over Zen 3) and doubled core counts finally!

That would mean the 8950X is going to be a motherfucking 32C/64T monster, no thread is safe

:hellyeah:

When? If the previous schedules are anything to go by (and they aren't), I would guess April-July 2023

Enticing but I'm not sure I can wait that long.