Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

What brand RAM did you buy? I heard how finicky Ryzen was when it came to RAM sticks so I bought 16GB of AMD-optimized DDR4-3200 G.Skill Trident Z RGB. Had absolutely no trouble getting those two sticks to 3200Mhz with A-XMP.

I went for all-core overclocking on my 2700x instead of letting Precision Boost do its thing and wound up with a stable 4.23Ghz @ 1.3625v. Before then I was getting brief single-core spikes of 4.5Ghz @ 1.5v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GutBomb posted:

I get better performance and thermals doing the XFR/PBO stuff in games than I did with manual overclocking with my 2700x. The performance in synthetic benchmarks is actually worse but in game benchmarks and just general game performance it was better.

Also 1.5v might look scary, AMD engineers have posted on reddit several times not to worry about it, that it’s never there for sustained periods and those voltage spikes are in there by design. It’s how XFR/PBO works.

I might go back to XFR/PBO at some point. I just wanted to see how far I could push a manual overclock. For context, I had my old i5-3570k clocked at 4.2Ghz with a 1.16v underclock.

I mentioned in the OC thread about how I tried BCLK overclocking, only to end up with boot looping. Haven't tried it again for fear of what it might do to my NVMe drive.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

fknlo posted:

Went from an offset of -0.075 to -0.09375(what it defaulted to when I entered 0.09) with my 2700x running PE4 today. I tried a -0.1 but it didn't want to boot. I'm under 1.4V average in games with a pretty hefty average temperature drop as well.

I couldn't find an offset option on my MSI board. I'm wondering if that's just bios specific.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago in the overclock thread. Sadly MSI does not seem to offer that option for an easy undervolt.

I asked because the mobo's still on bios 7B77v11 or 12 and I didn't feel like messing around with bios upgrades unless it was absolutely, positively necessary.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Never had a chance to test out the Wraith cooler. I went straight to the NH-D15S :getin:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I ran mine on it for two days, until WC arrived. I became weirdly fond of the bling.

I will say this about the Wraith cooler: it makes the stock Intel cooler that came with my 3570K look downright cheap and wimpy in comparison.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

sincx posted:

The 3700X looks sweet.

:same:

It hits the price/performance sweet spot for me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Craptacular! posted:

So I went from a 3770K (@4.3) to a 1600 (@stock presently) and I gotta say I see no losses but I see no substantial benefits either. A few apps tell me they’re using 12 threads but overall the amount of time it takes to do a thing is negligible and at least I can be happy that I didn’t go backwards. I plan to give OC a try but I’m on a stock cooler so I don’t expect much gain.

Nonetheless pleased that I chose the beefiest VRMs you can get on a B450 and paid for the 3200 blingin’ RAM, because someday I want to stick the best chip I can put in an AM4 socket on this thing.

I went from a 3570K with a 4.2Ghz OC to a 2700X with a 4.23Ghz OC on all cores. I've seen some noticeable improvements compared to my old setup, but I'd also chalk it up to the tremendously faster NVMe drive and DDR4-3200 RAM.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Harik posted:

Yay my new $650 threadripper arrived

THE ACTUAL gently caress.

E: At least the rest of the poo poo doesn't get here until friday, I have time to get them to resend me one overnight.

ThreadRIPper

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Harik posted:

That's new. I didn't even break the seal, I just sent it back. As for how it could happen, well:

I'm the half-assed strip of bubble wrap taking a journey of discovery through the carnival rollercoaster of domestic shipping.

Shippers must have made a point to field goal kick the living poo poo outta that particular package. Best of luck to you on the next shipment.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Harik posted:

I love your av. Did you make the horsegame it came from? I vaguely remember that thread.

Boringly, round 2 arrived intact, but they did manage to kick the Define S2 box hard enough to rip it and leave a dent in the front panel. 2 for 2, can't wait to see the state the rest of my stuff arrives in tomorrow.

See, this is why I don't feel bad about driving 3 hours to the nearest Micro Center to pick my parts in person. Any fuckups that happen on the ride back are mine and mine alone.

Sadly, I didn't make the horse game. In fact, I practically forgot how and where I even got that AV from.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Thanks for that, I'll start working on finding a good offset for my CPU. While looking at voltages, I noticed with PE level 3 using Auto, during heavy CPU stuff like Cinebench my voltages were only around 1.32 or so while the CPU stuck at 4.1ghz. But I did notice under more lightly threaded work, like some games, my voltages went up to 1.5v when 1-2 cores would sit at 4.3 while others are at lower clocks. My suspicion is that this is actually intended when PBO is clocking a couple cores high as Ryzen will need those volts to get the clocks that high, but I just wanted to double check.

Next on the agenda is getting my RAM working at a good speed. Ended up buying some DDR4 4000 because it was relatively cheap for Samsung B-Die. Obviously it failed miserably at loading its XMP profiles at both 3600 and 4000, right now I'm running it at 3200 CL14 because it doesn't require me to put more than the XMP standard 1.35v onto the memory. My understanding is that up to 1.5v is fine here and probably needed to push into the high DRAM frequency range, looking to see if I can push it up to 3600 since Ryzen DRAM calculator says I should be able to do that at relatively low timings.

I'm still wondering if I should stick with my all-core OC or go back to XFR/PBO. One of the oddities of my current OC is that clock speeds don't drop below 3.9Ghz, even with Cool n' Quiet and C-states enabled. This might answer my own question, but an all-core boost seems like a waste if the vast majority of your programs and games use only one or two cores.

As for RAM, I've heard that getting speeds past 3400 on a Ryzen chip is a gamble, hence why I didn't bother getting RAM any faster than 3200. Plus my sticks are SKHynix A die, but I had absolutely no trouble getting up to 3200 with XMP. What you're doing with the voltage and timings seems like a good idea imho.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I actually don't want stagnation but I don't want to have to upgrade my rig every 2-3 years either. My rig before this one my C2D E8400 lasted me only three years but my current rig my 2500k@4.2GHz has lasted me almost eight years now and still runs every game I throw at it but some newer games don't run as good as they could because the CPU is finally starting to show its age.

I'm still impressed by the number of people who are still pushing those Sandy Bridge-era rigs without much complaint. I could have stuck with my Ivy Ridge 3570k rig for another year or two, but I was really getting bored of it after nearly 6 years, plus I was worried about the mobo dying at some point*.

*A couple of years ago, the old PC took a lightning strike that killed the on-board ethernet, the cable modem and the PSU. I'm still amazed the mobo didn't up and croak right then and there.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Current scuttlebutt says B350 mobos won't get support for Ryzen 3k -- only X470, X370 and B450.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezyTaUnXJkQ

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

pixaal posted:

The one time I had stuff fry the entire house shook and I was seeing spots for several minutes from the flash. It came in over the coaxial into the modem and out over the network. Every single NIC was worthless, the Cat5e still works 5 years later and we didn't bother rerunning it since it was working. All the hardware is still working too. Just slapped some PCIe NICs into the computers and set game consoles to wireless.

I had something similar happen. A lightning strike came through the coaxial line upstairs and took out the cable modem, the PSU and the onboard NIC. Popped in a new Intel PCIe NIC (which turned out to be far superior to the onboard Realtek NIC) and a new PSU and kept on trucking. Everything else still worked.

Come to think of it, I really need to get a UPS. :ohdear:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

exquisite tea posted:

Well this is about the gaudiest ugliest heatsink I've ever seen, so I bought it and now my CPU is running a good 15-20C cooler under load. What a thing of beauty. Just don't cut your hands on the metal slats trying to install the drat thing!

I've thought about shelling out $30 for a set of white Chromax heatsink covers to match my all-white H500.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

orcane posted:

Turns out some options can only be changed with the +/- keys, which I didn't even try yesterday since it only applies to very few options and I was navigating the UEFI with my mouse. Most stuff (and everything in AsRock and Asus UEFIs I used for the past ~decade) can be clicked on or toggled through with enter, but most (but not all) of the Gigabyte's OC settings don't do anything if you do either of those. Navigating all voltage increments etc. like that is a pain but at least it works :woop:

Gigabyte's janky rear end BIOS settings are one reason why I didn't go with an Aorus mobo for my build.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Palladium posted:

I think Haswell was the last generation where every mobo wasn't drowned in XTREME GAMING labels outside of low-end.

Don't forget about LED lightshows. My MSI mobo was about as low-key as it got without losing the RGB LEDs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Space Racist posted:

Stuff like this makes me never want to sway from air cooling. A NH-D15 may be huge but I can go years without having to even think about it.

I'm way too paranoid about my PC to ever try water cooling. You don't have to worry about a NH-D15 springing a leak while you're away from home*.

*Yeah, I run my PC 24/7 most of the time.

Khorne posted:

Some potential zen2 leaks from a random chinese forum:

• ES is hitting 4.5 all core
  • x570 has 40 PCIE lanes, some used by SATA
  • x570 has 8 USB 3.1 gen2 (or whatever the name is, the usb standards people need to be put down)
  • B550 has no PCIE4
  • x570 potentially has more SATA ports without additional SATA controller? Unless I misunderstood that part of the image.

Overall, alright news I suppose. Really hoping for 4.7 all core on the high end x CPUs, but we'll see.

Interesting, although I'll believe 4.5Ghz on all cores when I see it first hand.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Palladium posted:

I have a simpler explanation from my experience in this hobby for 17 years: People are generally dumb at choosing components for PCs.

That and people hate being on the losing end of a bet, so they'll rationalize the hell out of their choices just to stave off that buyer's remorse.

An FX-8350 at bargain basement prices will inevitably draw in people who'd be better off with that R5 1600 BeastOfExmoor mentioned.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ECC is for mission-critical applications that require precise, reliable calculations. It's not a feature you'd need for any other desktop machine, gaming or otherwise. Save the money and put it towards RGB bling. :whatup:

And speaking of Samsung B-die, it's apparently going away soon: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-b-die-memory-kill-eol,39255.html

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

isndl posted:

If the magnetic fan fails to start do you have to shut it down and try again or give it an assisted start like one of those old prop planes?

I can only imagine the latter, although I still wouldn't do it with my finger.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

LRADIKAL posted:

There is definitely a pc part picking thread that is happy to go back and forth on future proofing your next 100 dollar motherboard, thank you.

♫ And now we return to our regularly scheduled speculation over Ryzen 3000 at Computex 2019, already in progress ♫

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The antithesis of my old Antec Three Hundred, quite literally. Whereas the Antec had nearly-nonexistent cable management, the H500 has it in spades.

I quite like seeing my nice PC parts and the :pcgaming: light show they provide.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I'm sorry but this feels like a wet fart to me or maybe I just bought into the hype too much.

If the Zen 2 launch pushes the 2700X down to ~$200 I'm just going to get a 2700X and a B450 or X470 board. I don't need the latest and greatest for gaming anyway. I'm still gaming on a older-than-dirt 2500k.

Speaking of which, I have a 2700X paired with a high-end MSI X470 mobo. News so far of the current clocks is a bit of a letdown, as I was hoping for at least one of those Zen 2 chips to hit 5.0Ghz.

Moving from a 2700X to a 3800X doesn't seem worthwhile, but a 3900X seems like a different story. I'll probably just wait until the pricing comes down a little, because that poo poo's verging on Threadripper territory atm.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Anybody get a look at those white Chromax fans? I know what I'm blowing my money on....

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

priznat posted:

I had an acer ferrari branded laptop that was a turion 64 and it was actually a great machine. Didn’t give a crap about ferrari or anything, the specs to price ratio was really good at the time. Was actually fine for gaming and solidly built.

That was my first and only amd laptop

I bought my brother a used Acer laptop that happened to have one of those Ryzen APUs (can't remember if it was a 2200U or 2500U). For the short time I had it before shipping it off to him, it wasn't a bad laptop. He games on it and hasn't had any complaints.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I myself will probably just get a 3700X but I'm going to wait until the initial rush and price-gouging dies down first.

It's ironic that I turned down building a i9-9900k system for myself because I balked at the $520 asking price for that CPU, yet here I am seriously considering a $499 3900X as an upgrade to my 2700X. :wtc:

Like you, I'll probably just sit back and wait a few months after launch just to see how Zen 2 shakes out in the field. Can't wait to see what prices look like come Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I'm still on a older-than-dirt i5-2500k so I would have to build a new rig around a 3700X so hopefully there are some B450/X470 boards that will have Zen 2 support right out of the box. Does the MSI B450 Tomahawk support Zen 2? I don't want to spend $200+ on a X570 board and have to deal with a chipset fan. Or will B550 boards drop a month or two after Zen 2 releases?

Most of the B450/X470 boards are supposed to support Zen 2 after the appropriate BIOS update, but I'm not sure if they'll come "Zen 2 Ready" straight from the box. I don't see anything wrong with buying a Tomahawk, even if you'd have to flash the BIOS just so your shiny new Zen 2 chip runs correctly.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Klyith posted:

The thing is, when I look at the prices of the 3800X and 3900X I feel like the 3900X is actually a decent deal. It's a *lot* of CPU for $400. If anything the 3800X is the member of the lineup that feels overpriced.

The only reason the 3800X exists is that AMD figured it could milk gamers for the 3700X chips that just so happened to clock really, really well.

Also, Z390 is a dead end and I didn't want to get stuck with a mobo that had no upgrade path available. And no, the 9900KS isn't an upgrade.

Welp, that just knocked the 3900X right out of contention, didn't it? Still waiting on the MSRP. I wouldn't be surprised if it was north of $700

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Are we really using 720p as a way to say Intel still crushes AMD? Have we gotten that desperate in the face of Zen 2?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Burno posted:

In my opinion the ASRock X570 Taichi is the best mid tier motherboard in the X570 lineup (in terms of features). It has everything the 330 to 400 dollar X570s have at 289.99 on Newegg.

If you're looking at the sub 200 ones, I'm not sure.

The Taichis are legitimately good, both X470 and X570. I just can't get over how fugly the mobo design looks to me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Seamonster posted:

It's me. I'm the odd one out.

Report back with some real-world clock numbers, brah.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't love it but it's been functional enough for me.

My only beef with the MSI bios on my X470 is the lack of a voltage offset. That could have come in handy when I was trying out all-core overclocks on my 2700X.

Speaking of Zen chips, I'm kicking back and waiting until Black Friday to decide whether to throw money at a 3700X, 3800X or 3900X. I figure the bios situation will sort itself out by then and there'll be more performance numbers to study and compare.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Media Bloodbath posted:

MSI added an offset option a while ago. I got a x470 pro carbon and am running a negative offset.

Must be a bios thing, like I suspected earlier. Too bad I won't upgrade until I finally get a Zen 2 chip on hand.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cojawfee posted:

Whenever I built an AMD PC, I was always worried I was going to break the drat thing when putting those clips on.

Makes me thankful Noctua makes you take that poo poo off before installing their heatsinks.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

apropos man posted:

That Anandtech article says a system that would previously idle at ~2.2GHz now idles at 3GHz. I don't like this. I'd rather see that poo poo clocking low when my PC is doing nothing.

Sounds like what my 2700X was doing when I had it clocked at 4.25GHz on all cores. I fixed that by letting XFR/PBO do its thing instead.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Khorne posted:

I did use kryonaut paste and I put way too much because that is probably the most awkward paste I've ever used and I was paranoid about coverage due to chiplet placement. It's like using playdoh for a thermal paste. I had to take off the heatsink and clean up with isopropyl. Thankfully it's not conductive or I'd have had a much larger problem.

I always wondered about Thermal Grizzly's stuff, because I was supposed to order a tube of Kryonaut for my current build. I wound up using the stuff Noctua throws in with its heatsinks.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Rat posted:

Well I just got done putting together the new build that I was posting about in the last week or two. (For reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/wasr10/saved/#view=L78vWZ )

Initially booted up and installed Windows fine off of a thumb drive. Seemed stable. Used a USB DVD drive to start installing the programs and drivers that came on the motherboard's included disc.

Then it crashed. Every time after that it'd reboot, even on occasions it would get to the Windows login screen, it'd crash shortly after that again.

Installed the latest BIOS flash from ASRock via USB drive. Still constantly rebooting.

Went in BIOS and told it to wipe the NVMe drive, figured I needed to do a fresh Windows install. Now the trouble is that even on a USB drive Windows install, I can't get past the first few pages of the installer (asking me what language, etc) before the system reboots itself again.

So far the only thing I've tried was reseating the RAM, putting only one in at a time with either stick, and both at the same time. (Currently in the A2/B2 slots.)

Not sure what else to try at this point. If I hit F2 while booting and load the BIOS screen, it'll sit there happily without rebooting, so I'm not sure if the power supply is suspect or not. (According to the BIOS, the CPU is sitting steadily at 53 C. Not sure if that's relevant here or not.)

In any case I have to head to work now, just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone had any suggestions to tinker with when I get home.

Edit: oh and to add insult to injury, I had some files transferring from a external hard drive on my laptop while attempting to make the USB Windows boot drive, and then it went from a 4tb drive to a 28gb Windows install USB drive :suicide: Haven't even started messing with that to see if I can at least get it back to its original capacity; I assume everything on there got wiped :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

I was having similar problems with my 2700X build. It'd run in BIOS just fine and it'd even load into Windows just fine, but it wouldn't last 5 minutes before blue-screening. It finally dawned on me to download the absolute latest copy of Windows 10 with the most recent updates baked in to rule out any issues with my new hardware not wanting to play nice with older drivers.

So I secure wiped the NVMe drive at the BIOS menu and reinstalled Windows using the latest ISO image from Microsoft. That put an end to the crashing, for me.

As far as the high CPU temps, I'd redo the thermal paste just in case you somehow hosed that up.

The Rat posted:

One of the things I tried when booting off the Ubuntu thumb drive was letting it sit at the initial menu for a while. Sure enough it rebooted. So I dunno there.

Yeah, heat sink fan was running fine. Do you think the power supply is culpable even though it'll stay sitting on BIOS with no issues? Not that I've left it on for that long, but still.

Honestly I'm feeling like saying 'gently caress it' and starting to RMA what I can, since I'm still within the return window.

A funky power supply will do the strangest of things. I had one from EVGA that seemingly worked fine, but kept causing weird audio interference under certain loads with certain games. I ditched it days later as soon as the replacement for my RMA'ed Corsair came through.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cygni posted:

Please don’t use 1080p in 2019

What about 1200p (if that's even a thing)? Asking for a friend with a Dell Ultrasharp monitor.