Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are ryzen's reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

What do you mean exactly by "reliable"?

If you mean "do they break a lot" then no, they seem to be holding up OK but there is no sort of high quality information you can go by publicly on Ryzen failure rates.
If you mean "are there bugs that prevent them from running in a stable fashion" then generally no with a few exceptions that seem to be slowly getting fixed right now.

Both, I didn't expect failure rates or anything yet though. Thanks.

I'm gunna buy a 1600x and a b350 pretty soon I think.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crosspost from the PC building thread just incase you fellas don't read that:

underage at the vape shop posted:

So I bought a hyper 212 turbo that the coolermaster site says works with am4 out if the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsWaSHyTA8

Did I get jipped? Am I supposed to force it?

Am I supposed to just force it super hard? Does anyone know?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Aesculus posted:

Yeah basically, except you're supposed to I think loosen it, put it over both sides and then force it super hard. Cooler installation is scary as gently caress.

I've never had one like this before, all my previous installs have been screws or stock intel that have the pop and twist plugs. This is like installing ram for the first time, except so much worse, because I'm watching the motherboard flex.

I'm gunna put it in the case first. I think have it bolted down will make the motherboard that little bit more rigid.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for getting ram to run at it's advertised speed? I bought some corsair 3200mhz, that was on my motherboards QVL running at 3200mhz:

a-xmp doesn't work, and setting it manually to 3200 doesn't work. I set the timings/voltage according to the sticker on the ram (16-18-18-36 at 1.36V) but it doesn't post. It's stable at 2933, but I've got an itch that only 3200 will scratch.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It took an OC of my chip to get that exact ram set to run at 3200. If you loosen the timings will it run at 3200?

I don't know enough to be able to figure out what to set them to on my own.

lovely Treat posted:

Buildzoid made a video about ram overclocking on ryzen. Might be something useful in there for you even if you have a different motherboard to his.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v73oXX1C-Q

I'll watch this in the morning and give it a try, Thanks.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 4, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
so, i updated my bios and finally got my ram to 3200 from 3000. now my 1600x fluctuates between 30 and 40 degrees several times a minute. How do I fix that?

E: Actually, it will drop to 28 C according to ryzen master if I don't do anything. If I swap focus to chrome and do nothing else, it will go to 38 and cool back to 28 by 2 degrees every update tick.

E2: even dropping it back to 2933, my computer sounds like a leaf blower at idle :l. Considering rolling back my bios to pre AGESA 1.0.0.6 because even though it wouldn't do 3200mhz on my ram, it wasn't a jetplane at idle

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 14, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
post so i can find a post

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
whats the least problematic ryzen ram? What guides are there to get it to work?

I'm getting sick of it not posting 5 times, then having to go into the bios, change nothing, restart, just to get it to run 2933 on 3200 QVL approved ram. THis is every single time I turn my PC on.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You might have to set the clocks/voltage manually and loosen timings, it might just be trying to do the XMP profile each bootup despite it obviously not going to work with Ryzen in most cases. I've had a similar problem with an Asus B350 Prime, but with non B-die ram.

There isn't a comprehensive list of ram that works with Ryzen because there's just thousands of SKUs, but there's some known Samsung B-die ram sticks. Unsurprisingly their prices are inflated.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

yeah i spent all day loving around with timings and said fuckit and got the expensive rear end gskill made for ryzen ram and with XMP I got 3200MHZ first boot

its weird having a functional computer

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

3peat posted:

I thought America would have something similar.

america is garbage

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wirth1000 posted:

My 1600X only has the advertised 6 cores I'm gonna start a class action lawsuit :kingsley:

:same:

This is unfair, amds lost a customer

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I only bought ryzen because Intel is a garbage rear end company that I hate even more than amds constantly crashing gpu drivers back in the day. Ill never buy another amd gpu but I really dont want them to fail, intel is shady and exactly the type of company to abuse a monopoly. They already with the whole no solder thing.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They are chinese after all, their aqi is probably in the millions
Sulfur probably is a real concern

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yeah its just a right angle cable or something right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How does the process for getting a potentially seg faulting ryzen replaced work? Do I need to send my CPU in first or?