Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Haquer posted:

BF1 on my Phenom II X6 sits between 85-90% CPU and some physics poo poo bumps it up to 100% here or there making me go from 45-60fps (rx480 gpu) down to like 15-20 :smith:

Still waiting for the teething issues to iron out before looking at a new cpu, been eyeballing the 1700x :getin:

I'm also just waiting for some of the teething issues and will most likely build sometime mid-late May. At that point, the memory compatibility AGESA should hopefully be pushed out to stable BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MaxxBot posted:

I forgot what heatsink it was but I had the genius idea of replacing the stock fan with the Vantec Tornado, holy poo poo what a terrible idea. I don't even know if it gave me more overclocking headroom I was just a dumb 15 year old who liked the idea of a really powerful fan.

Is that better or worse than using a delta fan?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's just to find if the paste is squished evenly, showing the contacts good, or not.

E - it was hot with the Noctua too wasn't it.

Yes, it was.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, speaking of paste, remember that you may need to adjust your paste technique a bit, with how the die is.

Rice grain isn't going to cover the entire thing. One dot over each die instead, maybe?
Do we know the orientation of that? I'm assuming it's aligned with where we see gaps in the pins on the underside

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NerdsMcGee posted:

I had a stick of my Skylake-used Corsair DDR4-3000 2x8GB kit die, so I'm in the market for new RAM again...I was only able to get these to 2666 on my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. Should I be looking to stay with Corsair or should I be shopping around for something else? I have ~150 budgeted for RAM, and don't mind "only" 16GB.

Check the QVL for your motherboard if you want to be safe. The options for 3200 off of the QVL for that board are pretty limited, though presumably most samsung B-die kits should work fine. The 2x8GB 3200 kits on the list are like $186 though.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Still depends if they are still doing the same TDP definition.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shaocaholica posted:

For single socket, I'd love to get a SFF workstation class machine. For dual socket which I'll probably never afford new, Z8 series chassis would be super neat.

e: Any APU plans for these new CPUs?

Raven Ridge is the codename, but I haven't kept up with the release schedule.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Realistically, AMD should have marketing ramp-up on APUs right now, in order to get them into the Fall 2017 Back-To-School launch window.

That we haven't heard a peep about them so far probably means we won't see them until December holiday, or January at CES.

There's a *chance*, since OEMs were showing off AMD-based hardware (or hardware-liked mockups) at the Zen launch, some in laptop form-factor, but I wouldn't count on APUs. Maybe AMD + NVIDIA.

I was assuming that they wanted to launch them alongside with Vega, but with how much that has been delayed :iiam:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The one problem I have with Ryzen 3 in concept is at that integrated graphics should probably be present in the entry level price range.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

redeyes posted:

I know there is a lot of RAM discussion and I was wondering if there is a way to set Command Rate at 1 instead of the normal 2. From what I remember this boosts performance a lot.

There should be a way to set CR1, though you might need an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS to do it. You will also have to disable to geardown mode since it will cause the controller to ignore the set command rate.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/07/14/memory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wirth1000 posted:

I really paid no attention to AMD for a long time. Was the generation before Ryzen really that bad?

Yes, bulldozer as a whole was pretty awful. I didn't really keep up with it in detail, but I believe all bulldozer based architectures were a step backwards in terms of IPC even when compared to Phenom II.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

shrike82 posted:

A casual Google search didn't bring up anything conclusive - would populating all 4 of my ram slots (from my current 2) mean I can't run them at native 2933mhz?

The manual for my asrock b350 mobo seems to point at lower speeds for 4 sticks versus 2 but I'm not sure.

You will most likely be limited to lower speeds with all 4 slots populated since this puts more work on the memory controller.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eyochigan posted:

Is that the AGESA 1006 bios or what? Cause there were several revisions, some better than others, I think the RAM thing mostly had to do with 1t/2t timings with the default XMP profiles, and generally tighter timings. But I assume you got the Flare-X 3200mhz C14, so that kinda rules that out.

Buildzoid has it figured out for the asrock taichi x370, talks about a lot of the settings in this video

SoC voltage might make a difference but take it in small increments and see what other people say, re: max voltage.

I was about settled on buying a 1700 but if people are still having trouble and maxing out at 2400mhz today then that's concerning.

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

BIOS is 0810 dated 08/01/17.

There was that AMD presentation a while back that suggested vSOC 1.1V and the RAM voltage 1.4-1.5V. I'm running dual rank B-die (G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZKY) at the same timings and frequency without any voltage increase, so I'm surprised that there is a problem on single rank B-die. Video below in case you feel like watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 1, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

FaustianQ posted:

:staredog: Holy poo poo, that's a top ten percenter.

:catstare: I have to use 1.375V to hit 3.8 stable.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sincx posted:

It's like saying "thieves can steal your money if they have your debit card and pin number!" Duh.

Or that they can do bad things with your SSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ah yes the "oh crap we're losing, so change the rules" plan.