Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Gonna chime in some praise on the Dark Rock Pro 4, mine is cooling a 8086K (at one point at 5ghz) and it is pretty quiet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
They're awesome, I'm loving my Dark Rock Pro 4, extremely quiet under load

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Dark Rock Pro looks nice but almost always blocks RAM in every instance, and if you paid money carnival lighting on your memory sticks you won't see it.

The RGB-ification of everything is kind of a challenge for tower coolers. Smaller ones are handling it well, but increasingly people would rather pay $20 a year for a cooler that lasts five years and improves their lightshow than $80 one-time for a cooler that lasts virtually forever and doesn't rave. Combine that with smaller form factors and it's a tough market.

I have this RAM and it works just fine :confused:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

surf rock posted:

edit: Also, what do people think of the be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler to go with the 3900X?

I have the Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 8086K and it is fantastic

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dark Rock 4 and Dark Rock Pro 4 are very different coolers. The former is basically a single tower like a Noctua U14, the latter is a dual tower like the D15.

A third-party seller on Newegg has Crosshair VI Hero refurbs for $100. It's got a 320A VRM, it seems like it might do OK with Zen2. The VII Hero would obviously be better but those are still $250+.

Huh, I wondered what the Pro stood for, guess now I know :shobon:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know about color accuracy, but viewing angle was extremely obvious going from a Dell 1080p60 IPS to a Dell 1440p144 TN. It felt like blacks looked very different if they were at the top of the monitor versus the bottom. When I returned it for an Acer Predator 1440p144 IPS monitor all was right

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ufarn posted:

Noctua should also be announcing their black D15 this month. If they don't, honestly gently caress 'em and buy a Be Quiet cooler instead if they still can't get their act together.

Loving my Dark Rock Pro 4, throwing in my endorsement for Be Quiet as well

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Also aesthetics. I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 and it is plenty for running my 8086K at 5ghz quietly. But I'm currently toying with running a full CPU/GPU loop because it'd look sooo neat

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I went to a custom loop solely for aesthetics. Performance isn't any better or worse than my previous Dark Rock Pro 4. GPU is better though

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Is Zen 4 going to be on DDR5? I have a habit of only upgrading to every DDR version and my 8086K is doing fine so far

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm thinking about going AMD in the future. What should I know coming from Intel? Wasn't there some software I should install to optimize it? Is PBO something I should enable without thought? Assume I'd be using decent cooling

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ryzen Master is the equivalent of the Intel Tuning application. I don't think people use this much (anymore).

There's an application called "Clock Tuner" by a user named 1usmus that's supposed to automate the process of trying to find out how far each individual core complex can be tuned/overclocked, which can yield some additional gains if you're willing to learn how to use it. This is probably what people are referring to.

The easiest thing to do is to turn on PBO in your BIOS, which basically gives Ryzen CPUs a floating turbo, where the CPU clocks as far and as hard as it can sense a sustainable boost based on power delivery and thermal limits.

Ah, 1usmus, that's the person I was trying to think of. Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I have a couple questions, since Micro Center put the 5900X back at $549 I've thought about upgrading from my 8700K. I'm currently running 3200 memory, is it worth it to upgrade to 3600 or even 4000? What recommended non-Asus boards are there? I say non Asus because I tried a prebuilt with a 3070 before returning it and it had an Asus X570 and it did not play well with my 2.1 setup at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Cygni posted:

I bought some 3600CL16 2x16 B-Die when I upgraded, and i absolutely don't think its worth it from what I've seen. Here's my testing. IF/UCLK always in sync, everything is 2 ranks per channel, dual channel on, no PBO or overclocking, 3090 FT3 Ultra with stock settings, same boot drive, win/driver version etc:

No 8700K+3600 cause the B-Die was super unhappy with the 8700K and I wasnt gonna sit there and figure out why when I had the new CPU to play with. :v:

I also did a lot of tests with massaging all of the subtimings, playing with PBO settings all of that... basically none of it was worth the effort considering the stability battle to dial it all in. The only thing that really meaningfully raised the scores was turning SMT... off. But the gains werent huge.

I'm gonna retest all the tweaking stuff later, unfortunately windows pushed an update and I gotta redo the numbers for some of it. But I don't expect anything to change meaningfully. As long as the memory is ~3200 or above, turn XMP on (and resizable BAR) and walk away.

Awesome, thanks!