Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
whatup peeps, just built a new rig with a 1700X and an MSI B350 Tomahawk (thanks for the cool bundle, microcenter)

of course, like everyone else memory has been an issue. the RAM I got ended up not being on the MSI's QVL and only seems to work at 2133 even though they're 2400 rated sticks. even after enabling XMP and switching it to 2400, which it reports successfully in the BIOS, checking things in CPU-Z returns that the RAM is still running at 2133. honestly, I'm not even worried right now, I'm sure I'm just loving up and forgetting some settings or something. made sure I flashed the latest BIOS as soon as I booted it for the first time, too. overall though, really liking the 1700X so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Another RAM related question: is RAM timing in the BIOS accurate? My timing should be 15-17-17-35 but instead the MSI BIOS insists on displaying it at 15-15-15-36. Should I be concerned? Should I manually enter timing info?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Holy poo poo. People weren't kidding about how well Ryzen handles multithreaded tasks. Just churned out what would have been a 7-8 hour Premiere render on my old i5-3570k in less than 90 minutes. It finished so fast, I actually thought the render had crashed when I checked the screen and didn't see a progress bar.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Now that I'm back from vacation, I finally had the time to sit down and tinker with the B350 to figure out why my DDR4-2400 was only running at 2133.

The solution was to disable A-XMP entirely, manually input the timings and the voltage, and then CPU-ID finally correctly showed that both sticks were running at 2400. I heard that flashing MSI's latest beta BIOS also helps, but I'd rather not take a chance now that it's all sitting pretty. Hooray for an extra ~5-6% performance increase!

fishmech posted:

Yeah totally. That's why it's always funny when you see people asking for suggestions for a laptop for their mom or something and they say "oh she's only going to be surfing Facebook!". That'll loving eat a huge chunk out of a decent CPU these days.

Facebook is the most bloated, lovely, terribly programmed social media website. I have no idea what fuckery the webdevs are doing to make it run so sluggish, even on good hardware. Even trying to just load the newsfeed occasionally gives my PC a hernia, so I just don't even bother with the website anymore.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I can't seem to get ANY virtual machines running properly. I seem to run into problems on an MSI B350 board even with IOMMU set to Auto and SVM enabled in the BIOS. VirtualBox will boot WinXP for a split second before going to a black screen, and the only thing that seems to fix it is diasbling VT-x/AMD-V in the Processor settings. Not sure if this is a question for the AMD thread, or the virtualization thread.

EDIT: Nope, not even disabling VT-x/AMD-V worked. I was able to install XP on the VHD but as soon as it tried to boot into the OS for the OOBE, it black screened less than a few seconds after hitting the XP splash screen. This loving sucks.

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 23, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Yeah, I was on the latest official for the B350 Tomahawk (1.50) but I decided to flash the latest beta bios, 1.64. Re-enabled SVM, set IOMMU to Enabled instead of Auto just to make sure, and now the virtual machine is booting with AMD-V enabled. They should push one of these to the official page one of these days, otherwise people like me who aren't particularly keen on using beta BIOS versions would never know

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I don't understand the "MSI doesn't update" thing. I have an MSI B350 and I've been getting updates consistently over the last 12 months. Do other companies pump out updates? I never remember updating my old ASRock Z77 more than twice, but that was Intel hardware so maybe that's not fair to compare it to a newer and less established Ryzen platform.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Fresh new X470 for my 1700X. What the gently caress is up with hiding the primary M.2 slot under a loving heatsink? Just built the whole rig only to discover that the BIOS wouldn't recognize my SSD, because the open M.2 slot on the motherboard ISN'T the real M.2 slot, it's the secret bullshit bonus M.2 slot that doesn't support SATA for absolutely no reason. Way to go, ASRock, really great work on your complete and total lack of any documentation warning people that the visible M.2 slot on the board won't work whatsoever. I love taking apart a rig I just spent an hour cleaning and re-building

EDIT: Holy poo poo. Guess what the only place that mentions the hidden M.2 slot is? It's the feature description on the back of the outer box carton. The thing that usually gets thrown out immediately (I tend to just keep the inner box the mobo comes in for extra wires and screws)

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 23, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

You know motherboards come with manuals right? There's a list of connectors and a diagram telling you which does what.

lol, the manual doesn't. It lists M.2SSD_1 AND M.2SSD_2 implying that there are multiple slots, but doesn't say anything else. It shows you a diagram of how to install a M.2 drive if you have no idea, but it has absolutely nothing about multiple slots or even that there is a difference between slots. The rest of the manual is just different languages

EDIT: The Chinese language section, three-quarters of the way through, has a map at the beginning of its section :psyduck: I think this manual is just a misprint or something because I don't have those pages at the start of the English section

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 23, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

If it's the X470 Taichi then page 8 has a literal picture of the motherboard with M2_1 and M2_2 labeled

It is the Taichi, but page 8 for me is part of the list of specifications. Misprint confirmed?

EDIT: I cannot install Windows whatsoever on this piece of poo poo. I get blue screens with different error codes every time the computer restarts. This has been the absolute worst nightmare of a build I have ever experienced. So much for the excitement to move up to X470. I have gotten as far as the first OOBE restart, but then suddenly it's "Windows could not configure the operating system for your hardware" and it just ends, lol. I am using the same USB drive with the same version of 1903 I just used to install the OS less than a week ago.

Anyone ever heard of a CACHE_MANAGER blue screen? How about a 0x000021A? 0xc0000221? All of the documentation available online asks me to run troubleshooters that require you to be able to boot into an OS lmao. Then I get "Your PC/device needs to be repaired". Losing my mind

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 23, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Ryzen 7 1700X
ASRock X470 Taichi
4 x 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 RAM
GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX 1070
WD Blue 500GB M.2 SATA SSD
WD Black 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Seagate Barricuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Corsair RM850x PSU (brand new)

that's it, that's all the components. right now I have taken every stick of RAM out except for one and we'll see what happens. I haven't been this stumped about computer issues in my entire life. The whole saga of diagnosing my B350 mobo and now problems extending into a completely new build is ultra lame.

FAKE EDIT: While I was writing this post, Windows restarted into the OOBE on one stick of RAM. I don't get what's going on here. I have Schroedinger's RAM. Both the old kit I replaced and the new sticks are on the QVL.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Mines in a Streacom DA2. Rails attach to runners inside the case, radiators / fans can be mounted on them (anywhere, if it fits inside). You can invert the mobo layout too.

I have RGB on the GPU, need to install an app to switch it off. I'm just happy it passive idles.

Whoa, that's pretty rad. I was at my local MicroCenter today looking at some of these nifty form factor cases. It's tough for me to get an idea of scale - is that a mATX case? There were a couple Lenovo AIO computers that were about the length and width of a CD jewel case. I haven't really looked at the prebuilt market in a long time so it was pretty cool to see that the whole "nettop" design actually went somewhere

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Khorne posted:

4 stick on ryzen gen1 probably requires lower clocks or tinkering with timings and voltage. Gen1 in particular struggles with 4 sticks.

I'd setup two sticks in proper dual channel, run memtest briefly, remove them and test the other two. Then you know your RAM is probably good. From there, put all 4 in and try the ryzen dram calculator and use those settings. I need more information about your RAM to tell you which memory type you should pick, but memory rank 1, dimm modules 4, and HyperX uses a bunch of different Hynix or Micron dies so you need the exact model number to figure out which yours uses.

Had a hunch this might be the case. In 2017 I built this rig originally knowing that Ryzen had some latent fuckery with RAM compatibility. I had great success with the initial build and never had a problem until moving to four sticks. I'm prepared to move up once the next generation CPUs are on the market, hence the inclination to go to the X470 board now.

Right now I have it running fairly stable with A-XMP enabled, 2400 manually set as the frequency, AND the timings loosened to 16-16-16-36. I have determined that I can boot into the BIOS no matter what the RAM configuration is on the mobo, which is a big step up from the beeps of death I was getting on the B350, and it's only Windows that starts sputtering when things are wonky.

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 24, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Brief conclusion to my RAM woes in case anyone else stumbles into this thread racking their brain. I returned the extra RAM and extra PSU I ordered and went back to square one with the 2x8GB HyperX Fury and 2x8GB EVGA SuperClocked. The X470 Taichi did something on first boot that the B350 Tomahawk did not - it automatically detected an optimal latency setting for the four sticks of ram. So despite trying a full CL17 setting previously, with a timing of 16-17-17-37, the system boots totally fine with no blue screens. Great success? Who knows, but I guess moving to X470 wasn't as useless as I thought.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Half Life: Alyx is what got me to upgrade my i5-3570k system for a new 3700x as it was chugging. I suspect it was mostly due to me only having 8gb of ram, but I wasn't about to invest in more ram at that point. Gave me an excuse to go mini-itx.

Man, I loved my i5-3570k, what a beast of a CPU for a long time. Then I got the 1700X and saw the light.

Thinking about dropping a 3900X into my X470 rig with the rest of my Trumpbux and replacing it. But not sure if now is the right time to do it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

lol I don't even know if this is the right question for this thread but can anyone loving explain to me why the gigabit ethernet driver for the X470 Taichi is 539MB? I mean holy poo poo what the gently caress are we installing here? That's 200MB bigger than the AMD all-in-one chipset driver

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Question for AMD goons: I got a 3700X to upgrade my 1700X and have a Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 cooler. Does anybody have any tips on how to re-attach the cooler after putting the new chip in and applying the thermal compound? It's got one of those stupid thumb clamp hooks and as far as I can tell it is absolutely goddamn impossible to install that thing without hopelessly smearing the thermal compound everywhere while trying to get the leverage to snap the frame onto the base. Not sure if this is even the right thread for this question but I dunno, hoping someone else with experience with this kind of thing may have their own way.

Tried looking at guides online but it seems like everyone I've ever come across has zero problems getting this thing over their CPU, meanwhile I'm over here rolling the pipes in Arctic Silver 5 like a pig rolling around in mud

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Do you mean tools required to install? Or having to use tools to install it? I haven't used a tool in the past and afaik it isn't required to use one to install/uninstall, just the metal thumb clip. In fact, I can take the cooler off with the thumb clip no problem, it just seems to be getting it back on that I have all the problems

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, so good news. The 3700X came and the stars must have aligned because that was the quickest and easiest CPU replacement I think I've ever done. I poo poo a couple bricks taking the 1700X out because when I went to pull the heatsink off, it pulled the loving processor clean out of the socket. I don't know if I was supposed to undo the socket latch before taking the heatsink off but I have no idea how I was supposed to reach the latch under the fins if that was the case. Luckily, nothing bad happened, the pins on the 1700X were totally fine and the 3700X went in no problem.

BAD NEWS is, I STILL cannot POST this loving machine with four sticks of RAM installed. When I built this rig a few years ago, I heard up and down how Ryzen 1st gen had major problems running 4 sticks of RAM. I've been running 24GB in the interim because I need the higher amount and am willing to sacrifice the dual-channel speeds to get it. 2nd gen Ryzen came and went, and I still heard about the RAM compatibility issues, so I held off. So why, in the year of our lord 2020, can I still not POST this thing with four sticks of RAM and a freshly installed 3700X?

I went through a decent amount of trouble to ensure that I had four sticks that were 1) on the QVL, 2) the same exact speed, and 3) the same exact CAS latency. One set is an EVGA 16G-D4-2400-MR CL15 set that I got from MicroCenter, the other is a HyperX Fury 2400 CL15 set. I can run the machine with one stick from each set, I can run it with literally any combination of three sticks of RAM, but gee willikers Batman, try to slot in that fourth stick and you don't even get a POST code on the digit display, you just go gently caress yourself.

So now I'm pissed off, and I ragebought a 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHZ set, and when it gets here on Wednesday, I'm going to fire this lovely rear end RAM into the sun with the force of a thousand angry gods. I guess this is the universe's way of telling me to pony up for a better set of RAM and stop trying to make the kit I have work. I have absolutely no idea how I can put three sticks in any configuration and boot, but the fourth stick shuts it all down. Flabbergasted. Blabberflasted. Just gonna run 16GB until Wednesday because I'm sweaty and already cut myself on the heatsink once, no need to go pushing my luck with a fresh set coming in. There isn't a Matisse QVL for the X470 Taichi but I've heard that there are no problems at all at 3200MHz and up, so fingers crossed? No idea.

e: I want to point out that this issue isn't specific to the X470 Taichi. I had an MSI B350 Tomahawk before this and I couldn't POST with four sticks of RAM in that thing, either.

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

just went from a 3700X to a 7700X, with a Deepcool AK620 on there. my understanding for the 7000 series is that it's pretty much intended for the chip to shoot right up to 95C under full load (especially with air cooling) and run there consistently? ran Cinebench R23 and it went from ~51C light load up to 95C and stuck there. looking at Adrenalin, it looks like it stayed consistent at 5.0GHz which sounds about right for multi-core based on what I've been reading since the advertised 5.4 is mostly for single-core boost, but I get neurotic about my thermal paste/cooler application with a new build so I wanted to make sure this seems right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Cambridge. Though, whatever caused it, I don't see why location would matter. I told a girl I wanted to buy the 7700X+ram+motherboard bundle, she went over to a computer and punched all the parts in, clearly having sold a bunch of them, printed out a list sheet, and handed it to me. I said are you sure this is right, I thought it was more? She insisted it was the right price and left to grab the CPU + ram. I was more concerned maybe I was buying the wrong stuff but it seemed to be the right things. Rung up the same price so I said huh, I guess it is right. Then after I left and worked a few other things off my to-do list I looked at the sheet + receipt and thought "Wait, what? $75.86 motherboard, $34.48 for 32gb of DDR5, and $119.65 for a 7700X?" The whole thing is handled through a web app and I don't think there's anything store-specific in that process, IDK if it was just a glitch that double-applied the bundle discount or something?

just bought this bundle from the same MC yesterday and I didn't get this discount so I would like half the money you should have spent, sent directly to me ty