Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
What could potentially be expected out of a "Zen+" revision of Ryzen chips besides slightly better clock speeds and maybe an iGPU or some similar feature? Is the revision potentially worth waiting half a year for or does Ryzen 7 have all bases covered relatively well, so to speak? Ryzen PRO looks to be identical to Ryzen, but with a separate co-processor for some security features a normal person wouldn't bother to go near.

I have no idea what I'm trying to ask here, but I'm basically skirting around the "Does Ryzen's dependency on fast memory clocks possibly diminish (significantly) with a hardware refresh?" question. Looking to upgrade my PC and while I had decided to put it off until next year to see what cool new chips will be announced after Skylake X, Ryzen 3 and Threadripper come out, 7740X's and 7900X's benchmark numbers being on the same ballpark of AMD's 1800X, 1700X and even the value-minded 1600X chips are making it hard to dodge the idea that I will not be seeing a massive appreciable jump in performance for years to come, if ever, so waiting for that specifically is starting to feel pretty pointless.

My sole concern on adopting AMD at this point, is that need for 3000MHz+ memory in order to not end up with a bottlenecked system by 10-25% margins, though from reading the last pages of the thread, this is apparently getting better and better through BIOS updates? I've always been a cheapo-RAM sorta guy and having to go for the gamer stuff with the heat spreaders that look like you could slice someone's throat with is a whole new scary world for me.

OSad fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

The Zen design has a lot of future improvements they could do, FMA and AVX could improve, running the fabric asynchronously to IMC or at better dividers. overall integer performance, moving to 6 core CCX, etc. If you're just talking about a the current designs maturity, looking at Polaris and Vega indicates something like Pinnacle Ridge might have slightly higher clock speeds, at most 200-300Mhz, and it's unlikely the IF being tied to the IMC will change in a "refresh".

Ryzen itself doesn't have any gamebreaking bugs in hardware, everything people are having issues with so far seems to be a software issue, or firmware one. If you want to wait and see if the refresh brings what you want I'd suggest it, as it'll give more time for motherboards to mature and diversify. That and DDR4 prices are crazy.

eames posted:

Zen+ may introduce its own infinity fabric multiplier so the interconnect runs faster with slow RAM. Intel's ringbus already does that and the knowledgeable folks at anandtech agree that there's no good reason why Zen doesn't, short of "AMD ran out of time for the Ryzen launch".

Well, I'll just wait it out then. Just the idea of not having to pay too much for RAM is enough to hold my hand on this one, I certainly want at least 32 gigs of the stuff as I do occasional content creation and I've hit the paging file a few too many times to know that accessing virtual memory from the disk drains your sanity rather fast.

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the other hand, depending on what you want to have running on your board, you might want to wait. That said, if the supposed 8C/16T TR clocks high enough, I might get tricked into upgrading the CPU eventually. Now a cheap TR waiting for a TR+ or TR2.

This is also an interesting idea. Theorizing that the larger chip size could lead to better heat dissipation and better overclocking, an 8C TR could OC like a champ and bring stuff like 60 PCI-E lanes and lower TDP to the table (not that I would ever need to use 60 whole PCIe lanes).

Maybe I'm just letting myself get taken on the hype train a bit, but the $800 12C/24T Threadripper model sounds just affordable enough that I would seriously consider saving up a bit more cash to get it over the 1800X, just to have a platform I can potentially upgrade to the super-beefier core-count models later. I'm very excited to look at TR benchmarks when they come out, they're probably not going to set the world on fire, but based on some early numbers AMD is putting out, TR looks like another killer value proposition which I'm all for.