Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
From last thread on DDR4 prices:

quote:

Demand is outstripping supply right now with the move to DDR4 and it can take years for new production lines to be built or old DDR3 production lines to be converted to DDR4 production.

Not only that, but DRAM/NAND production is overwhelmingly caterd to mobile devices and socketed RAM is now an afterthought. DDR3/4 was priced low in the past as they were overproduced in anticipation to a large PC demand spike by Win 8/10 that never materialized.

I go as to say the days of cheap desktop RAM is over now that the economics are altered permanently, the age-old "losing margins and making up in volume" business model is increasingly proven to be a trash concept and manufacturers will never make the same PC demand mistake again.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://techreport.com/news/31826/ryzen-cant-put-amd-into-the-black-for-its-fiscal-q1-2017

So AMD lost even more money YoY despite Ryzen.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Potato Salad posted:

I still can't get over the idea that otherwise intelligent people don't stop at the 1 gb ram per 2 tb storage (the recommended amount I've seen) and think, "Hmm, I feel like this need has more to do with the nature of my workload than the filesystem itself." :smithreddit:

Much of technical advice out on teh Internets can be summed as "my toys are more expensive than yours".

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wargames posted:

isn't the 1050s built by samsung not tmsc?

"If somebody else is getting much better results using the same process, of course we must blame the process."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

The most important enterprise wins will be companies like Google and Facebook, I don't think either of them worries about licensing because they run their own stacks.

On the other hand, these software corps aren't exactly the thrifty sort either.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Any word out if Ryzen rev.2 is going to use the same platform as the first-gen Ryzen? I intend to buy R7 1800X this fall, and once rev. 2 becomes available, swap the old R7 for a new 7nm part. I'd hate having to change mainboards just because of this.

AMD time: expect 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

Server from 2017 is cooler, faster, and more parallel than a server from 2011, truly groundbreaking stuff.

Yeah, I was like "cool" until I saw V1.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SamDabbers posted:

They're the same chipset with some features disabled on the B350, much like the R7 1700 and R5 1600 are the same with a couple cores disabled on the latter. So yes, the issues are basically the same if the issue is with the chipset.

IINW, all the same-gen consumer grade AMD/Intel chipsets are using the exactly the same die with features disabled/enabled for a long time now. I believe the last time where that wasn't was during the Core 2 era.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I think most of us forgot laptop CPUs constitutes maybe like 70% of Intel's consumer market and AMD has been non existent there for a decade.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Slightly OT, but when iPhone 7 was already using LPDDR4-4266 last year and yet so many people are still having so many problems running just 2 DDDR4 sticks @ 3000+ MHz on either Intel or AMD systems I guess we hit a brick wall for RAM in a socketable form.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
DDR4 was cheap last year because Skylake was so ho-hum and also had DDR3 support, while the suppliers overproduced RAM hoping Win 10 would spike demand which never happened thanks to the free upgrade. It also doesn't help consumer desktop parts are now at the bottom of the market totem pole.

What you want to hope for are the PRC semicon foundries coming online soon and opening the supply floodgates, like they did with li-ion batteries to the point where Samsung, LG, Sony etc are now abandoning the consumer battery market.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Does AM4 run 2x16GB DDR4-3200 reliably now?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
You should have seen the early 2000 era where peak heatsink design is basically a block of metal slapped with a 7000+ rpm Delta fan on top.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'd say that is overly optimistic based on the rumors so far. Maaaaybe comparable to the early K7 vs late PIII era overall performance wise (I'm assuming Intel will be able to keep a OK advantage in clock speed)? Which wouldn't be a bad thing at all for AMD but not the blow out that was Sandybridge vs early BD/late PhII.

IMO right now seems reminds me of the K6 or K6-2 vs PII era with Intel having a (minor) performance advantage but AMD having a (large) value advantage.

Nah Zen is the 2000-2001 era Durons: outstanding perf/price as long as you are willing to tolerate a slightly flakier platform. K6s were rubbish gaming CPUs running on rubbish chipsets that only ran OK with 3Dnow which was rarely supported even in its heyday, and got massacred six ways to sunday by the integrated L2 cache Celerons. My old Celeron 433A felt light years faster than my K6-2 500MHz, ran far more stable on crash-prone Win98 and had none of the minor AGP bus visual artifacing on a Geforce 2 Ti.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 22, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MaxxBot posted:

Now it appears there is a fourth SKU, one that will not support AMD's extended frequency range (XFR) technology

Which means its cheaper and better right?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Buttcoiners know nothing about or are too cheap to install active fire protection systems? I'm totally shocked.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The 12C/24T 1920X IMO is shmuck bait. Who in the right mind looking for an already expensive super-MT CPU would want to save 20% for 25% less threads?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Holy poo poo Vega GPU has appeared over here in Croatia but its price is downright insane: 2209 bucks!

but-but-but have you considered the perpetual buttcoin ROI

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pablo Bluth posted:

I finally gave in to temptation and ordered the parts to replace my Athlon II X4 machine with a 1700....

I'm surprised you held out that long because that X4 is slow.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Is there a consensus on which is the best budget mATX AM4 mobo?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I won't count on AMD dealing with the DDR4 issues anytime soon when they already have their hands full with servers, Raven Ridge and RTG damage control.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"PC building is easy" -Reddit

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm sure this sort of stupidity was prevalent since a long time ago, but before the ubiquity of social media sensationalism and smartphone cameras.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
You see, these clearly ethical shining stars will sleep better at night using labelled MADE IN AMUIRCA products proudly assembled in Trumpreich with 100% China imported components and paying tons more to get the same end.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Best outcome would be an AMD-NV merger, selling RTG assets to Intel with interim licensing of said IP until NV-based APUs come to play.

Lisa/JHH, please make this happen you know deep down you are both BFFs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bulgakov posted:

intel has gotta to be getting explicit or implicit pressure from a big OEM like apple or otherwise if they're so yet-again on boldly chasing the idea of keeping everything comfy on one homemade chunk of silicon

phi is...phi

but them turning a bunch a money towards a future-bound fright of losing the competitive process wars is big time indicative assuming intel management isn't totally ignorant of scraped inside knowledge of future industry-wide plans

Word on the street is the process guys are having too much control over Intel and the design guys are falling by the wayside, in a time when they need the latter than the former more than ever.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Darth Llama posted:

I mostly just lurk this thread, but the discussions of how they make/produce these chips is pretty awesome once I look up all the terms over my head. I have a question though: what happens (errors?) in manufacturing that would keep a chip from using hyperthreading?

I'm assuming when they bin the chips some don't hyperthread well and get binned as 4/4 or whatever instead of 4/8.

All of the AMD/Intel consumer chips practically have the same marginal costs to make. Enabling HT or not is entirely market segmentation aka Economics 101, since selling only HT enabled chips at the same or lower price is leaving money on the table.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The world's leading predatory pricing cum dumping nation is now investigating a case of foreign price fixing.

So much irony.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
2200G/2400G, aka "who is gonna give a poo poo to the 1300X/1500X anymore".

They might as well retire the latter two SKUs since they serve no purpose with the APUs.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, they probably *are*.

Now that we seem to have what the APU was supposed to do half a decade ago with Bulldozer, APUs exist to do three things:

*Claw market share away from Intel
*Claw market share away from Nvidia.
*Do the above at the same time.

Since we've seen that Vega does... for now, let's say it does "okay" at the low end (at least until we get more SKUs with APUs in them for benchmarking to get a better picture), any APUs they sell are definitively one less Intel sale, and a good chance it's one fewer Nvidia sale of like, a 1050Ti or some poo poo.

Might as well sell the $100 APU, when nobody really gives a poo poo about the RX460/560. Shame about the DDR4 prices though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't really care about the Raven Ridge on desktop but will jump on the laptop version if the stars align aka OEMs not loving up on AMD offerings.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Has anyone explored the least important question of them all: buttcoins

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-soc-isscc-detailed-7nm-epyc-64-cores-rumor/

AMD presentation on the underlying details of Zen. Definitely a "look at a pretty pictures" kind of article, WCCFT's words here are so utterly devoid of meaning they could have just done lorem ipsum and had about an equal amount of content added.

Surprise, at least 99% of the Internet is filled byno-effort crap for viewcount raking ad revenue.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lmao my spare PC somehow had AMD services running even though it had never used any AMD hardware since a fresh install

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some none ugly rear end gently caress mainboards would be swell.

But mobo makers then can't $100+ extra for like $5 more in ugly BoM cost

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Why are these fraudsters are always too smart and too dumb at the same time

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissCM posted:

Yes, heres 10 reasons why.

But-but-but I must trust everything that is said on the Internet in TYOOL 2018 because

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alpha Mayo posted:

Now if we could see some RAM price c... ahahaha the best I can hope for is some $15 class action lawsuit rebate in 2022 for "buying one or more RAM modules during the price collusion period during 2017-2018"

Samsung: "That's a nice DRAM fab we got there. It would be a shame if something happened to it."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You joke, but Samsung just had a power cut at one of their NAND fabs. 30 minutes of cut power = 60,000 dead wafers, or 11% of the entire month's quota.

I know that too well since I was the one who first posted that news here.

The timing was impeccable too: NAND prices were already in a slight decline this quarter and the damage suspiciously convenient and reversible. A deliberate 3.5% loss in global monthly supply is a loving grade AAA investment strategy if it meant the cartel gets to easily raise prices for more than that for rest of the year.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Or, you can buy Intel now and encourage AMD to make a better CPU later