Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

There is some evidence that recent games are scaling better with more threads, according to a few tests I've read on German websites. It's possible they simply get better at running multithreaded in general, no idea how much is related to consoles.

No (good) mini-ITX Ryzen boards for another few months is a huge bummer, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

This X300 doesn't seem very interesting (PCI-E lanes, USB support, SATA ports - I know Ryzen brings a few of its own but still) and having it delay ITX boards makes it worse

I remember having great fun with awful VIA chipsets because those were the only chipsets I could get for some early AthlonXP builds

orcane fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2017 around 17:46

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Also remember nForce?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Also this one says Intel Gigabit Ethernet on the X370 picture.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

My 850 EVO died in 2 years never buying Samsung again. Sticking with Kingston or Corsair.

Baby, bathwater etc.? Or am I falling for ?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm a little confused for some reason; I'm planning on building a Ryzen computer within the next week and just wanna make sure a Ryzen revision isn't due within the next month or two?

Good news, friend: The Ryzen revision is coming NEXT MONTH.

E: damnit... okay, I have a link at least! https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...pc-enthusiasts/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

They're vulnerabilities and they need fixing but what is really funny are the idiots who act like this is almost on par with Meltdown/Spectre.

"See, AMD has their huge crippling security issues too, nothing is secure, might as well keep your Intel things!" -a dumbass who keeps blowing everything out of proportion every time it gives him an opportunity to poo poo on AMD.

And, oh yeah. STATE LEVEL ACTORS.

orcane fucked around with this message at Mar 22, 2018 around 09:12

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

PerrineClostermann posted:

... Did we conveniently forget that Chimera isn't even an AMD exploit? It's an ASMedia exploit, and is on Intel motherboards from the past 6 years.

Umm excuse me the website said "AMD VULNERABILITIES CATCHY NAMES, status: really loving bad*" so of course it's an AMD exploit.

* please sell all your stocks

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

They can't just move that stuff back to older tech? Well print more of the older stuff. I'd think Intel would want to prioritize CPUs. Did Intel destroy their older fabs or something?

AMD is really lucking out that Intel is falling on their face just as AMD has a viable product.

This is why 14nm chipsets took a while and the Z370 chipset wasn't replaced by Z390 faster. Instead, mainboard manufacturers are making refresh Z370 boards like this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/T...PLUS-GAMING-II/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yeah you probably don't want to tell Apple "hey those LTE modems we finally won the exclusive contract for, we can't make them in 14nm after all". Not even if you're Intel.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I was watching some dude's video about installing a Ryzen 1600 and he recommended downloading the chipset drivers from AMD's own website to get the Ryzen-specific "balanced" power setting for Win10. He even said that it gave a performance advantage over simply setting the CPU to work in performance mode. Is that the conventional wisdom, and does that still hold true for the 2700/x series?

Ryzen CPUs had lower performance on Windows 10 originally because the default power plans were parking cores (and saving power) too much, so changing the power plan (or installing the AMD-modified balanced one) fixed this.

However, Microsoft eventually changed this in a Windows 10 (feature?) update so it shouldn't be necessary just for the power plan/core parking issue anymore.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I did a dumb thing and bought a Ryzen 2700x / 2080 for maximum and I'm glad to see that AMD is competitive again. The very first system I ever put together was on a good old Athlon back in 2002 when dual core still was a novel concept, and the trepidation + fear of royally loving something up on a new installation has been with me ever since.

Why this is a great thing, not dumb

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The 2700X has an offset of 10C applied to temperature reporting by default, so depending on what software you're using (some are aware of the offset and may display the corrected actual temperature), it could be 60-65C instead.

The AMD website says "Max Temps: 85C" so even 70-75 is completely safe and the CPU should be able to run that 24/7. The Wraith Prism is good to run maximum "boost" clocks but it's going to be slightly hotter/louder than a bigger third party cooler would.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Technically it would be. But apparently the B450 boards aren't built (although I'm sure that's being way overblown again) as well as the good X470 ones. Since they also don't save you much or any money, I'd go with the X470.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Thanks, I'll make sure to check reviews some more if there are indeed better and worse boards. However, the difference between B450 and the X boards is roughly 30-50 bucks, which is a bit much considering I can get the Asrock B450 Pro for around 85 € for example.
This video which might help (TLDR in description):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMJoLyrWa7E

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

I just wonder why it installs by default with the chipset drivers then. It holds much higher idle speeds than the built in balanced profile, and I'm going to guess AMD probably has left it like that for a reason.
Because Windows 10 had issues with core parking when Ryzen was new, the default balanced profile parked them too aggressively which cost Ryzen performance in certain programs. AMD supplied the profile with chipset drivers, one that has less of an effect on performance, but obviously uses slightly more power. Windows 10 later got an optimized power plan that doesn't have quite as much of a performance impact either, but seems to save more power.

There's an ancient blog on this:
https://community.amd.com/community...munity-update-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

How the gently caress did it get so bad from origins? literally the same game 1 year apart, CYOA voices, and boat tech.

It's my understanding that Origins does the same thing, but who knows.

I'm only running it off a HDD in 1200p though, and so far it didn't make me want to upgrade my 4790k