Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9JR_v-4BaQ

rip i9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I was planning on upgrading my ancient i7 920 to a 1700 in a month or two, but lost my job Monday, so that's been put off just a little bit :suicide:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How will Jay gently caress up this unboxing?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

FaustianQ posted:

A Quad-Cor Platfrom if you will.

Everyone always forgets the brother

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm trying to piece together my first major upgrade since 2008, and the lack of mATX boards for x470 and x570 is really causing issues with my case choices.

Is a B450 mATX board going to be worth it for a 3700X or so? I really don't want to wait another quarter until B550 boards are out

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 30, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're running stock clocks than even the 12C and 16C Zen2's will probably work since they're limited to 105W TDP's.

If you want to do some overclocks, even modest ones, than the 8C Zen2 will the limit on any of the mATX B450 mobos. Its not unheard of for people with some of the cheaper B450 mobos and 2700's have been saying they get periodic shut downs due to the VRM overheating with even modest overclocks. The 6C Zen's should run OC fairly well on a decent B450 mobo though.

The MSI B450 Gaming Plus seems to be relatively OK compared to the other mATX B450 mobos going by what newegg is listing. I'd still have a fan pointing at the VRM on that thing if you decide to overclock a 8C Zen2 on it though.

Really though even the best mATX B450 mobos seem fairly mediocre compared to the decent ATX B450 and X470 mobos that go for $130-150-ish. You sure you can't go for one of those in your budget?

It's less about budget, and more about space. Right now I have 2x 24" screens plus the usual up on my desk, and an old tower case under my desk. I've already bought a new 34" ultrawide, and was hoping to move my case up onto the desk for better cable management and easier vacuuming, but I've also been looking at cube cases with a horizontal layout because my desk is right in the corner, the case can only go on that side of the desk, so the 'open' side of a normal tower would face a wall with the rear fans pointing into the corner, and I like LEDs and effective cooling in summer. The difference in size between an ATX cube and an mATX cube is quite a lot, ie the Thermaltake XT is (HxDxW )515x623x394 while the VT is 348x430x350

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 30, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stickman posted:

ASRock is actually releasing a mATX x570 board, though, the only one announced so far. We'll have to wait for the technically breakdown, but the VRM components are at least doubled so I'd expect it to be up there with the Gaming Plus, and it has two PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 slots (most X470 boards only have one 3.0 x4 plus one 3.0 x2 or 2.0 x4), a M.2 key E for wifi, proper top-tier audio, four RAM slots, and 8 rear USB ports (including two gen 2).

I hadn't seen anything about that, bless their crazy little hearts! Now to hope it's good, and available in enough volume to reach the antipodes

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 30, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's a sale going on and I don't know when it will finish for G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 Desktop Memory Kit (cl18) for a scant $178 dollarydoos, which is basically the cheapest 3600 memory in the country (the cl16 of same is $299), is it worth it to be 10ns instead of 8.888ns?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zotix posted:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306

Switch the seller to Newegg and it's for sale for $164.99 on backorder. If you don't mind waiting.

I'm in Australia, that kit is listed as unavailable for here. The one I listed above is $208 dollarydoos on newegg Australia.

The absolute cheapest on newegg Australia is CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3600 cl18 for $150 dollarydoos

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 7, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just off the newegg prices

3600X is $409 dollarydoos
3700X is $540
3800X is $570
3900X is $783

3800X seems like the better choice over the 3700X if that holds

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 7, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mr Chips posted:

OTOH, the 2700 non-X retails for around AUD $360, so $409 for the 3600X isn't a compelling buy here at the moment

That's just newegg though, no one else has prices up yet, and the gap between the 3700X and 3800X seems a lot smaller than is being reported in other currencies elsewhere on the internet

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/1148170909322293248

I was going to order my 3700X today, since they're in stock, but with no word on availability of the Asrock X570M Pro4 and absolutely no competitor motherboard at all, it seems a bit pointless :smith:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 8, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Has anyone seen word on when the asrock x570 matx board is reaching retail?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm putting my Ryzen 3700X in a tempered glass case with RGB on everything and you can't stop me :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

After thinking about it, I've decided I don't really need to spend $400+ dollarydoos on an X570 board for features I really don't need, when I can get an MSI B450M mATX Mortar Titanium with bios flashback for just $149.

Also, the experience seems to be different down here - all of the CPUs are in plentiful supply, the problem is getting your hands on any 3600 or even 3200 DDR4, everyone has it on back order.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 13, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So has anyone figured out if the timings on 3600 memory matter at all? Because the only memory I can find in stock is cl18, cl16, or one 32gb kit of cl17, and nobody on any kind of budget can afford cl16

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Now the cl17 memory has gone out of stock across the board too while I was putting my cart together. If only the availability of memory matched the availability of the CPUs :smith:

Best I can get now is Team T Force 3600MHz DDR4 18-20-20-44, or Corsair 3600MHz DDR4 18-19-19-39 for $50 more

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 14, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arzachel posted:

The difference between 3600CL16 and 3200CL16 is about 1%. Just find the fastest <=CL16 sticks that aren't too overpriced and call it a day.

Struggling to find any cl14 or 15 3200 in stock either, and what there is is north of $300 dollarydoos for a 2x 8 kit, there are more Ryzen 3000 cpus in Australia than there is fast memory

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 14, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well, I found a place that still had something in stock at a reasonable price, so my new computer is coming from 3 different stores and should hopefully arrive this week, so that I can have an assembly party next weekend :woop:

Going to plod along on my R9 380 until the non-blower 5700XTs start showing up in August/September, and hopefully they stay cheaper than the 2060S down here like the reference ones are

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm sitting here in the work cafeteria on a Friday afternoon looking at the tracker telling me 3 of 4 packages containing my new pc have been delivered, but the 4th has a delivery date of Tuesday next week :negative:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only non-dead usb stick I have is a Kingston one, hope that's good enough

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I had a vendor only tell me after 4 days, an email and a phone call that my motherboard was out of stock. I asked them to cancel it, and they said they would ship the CPU and SSD that I had ordered from them the next day. When I called today they told me the CPU was out of stock too, and they hadn't cancelled the motherboard... I was kinda frustrated at that point!

Penpal posted:

3/4 of my components are due on Tuesday and the ram is back-ordered until mid-august :o: but I guess it's nice to see these bios updates and overclocking testing being refined in the meantime.

Opened my boxes today, turns out the missing box is my case, so I still can't really do anything except maybe flash the motherboard and just look at all my other parts :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok, I put the renamed bios update on an 8gb fat32 formatted usb stick, stuck it in the biosflash port, plugged in the two power cables, and flicked on the PSU. Pushed the bios button, then about 5 seconds later the diagnostic LED came on solid and the bios LED started flashing. It went for a couple minutes or so, then it stopped at the same time the PSU fan gave a little kick, and the diagnostic light stayed solid.

Does this sound like I successfully flashed my Mortar titanium bios?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 20, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Puddin posted:

That sounds like it worked.

Thanks! My usb drive was a USB 3.1 one too, so you don't need an old one.

There's not much more I can do from here, since I'm temporarily reusing my current graphics card (another month or so at most, hopefully), and I don't want to remove it from my current and only active system until I'm ready to make the full switch. Still, I'm ready to go when my Thermaltake Level 20 VT arrives

Do I have enough RGB? :ducksiren:

The BBT coasters were free with any Thermaltake product so I got them to give to my dad, he loves the show

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Drunk in Space posted:

I've been hearing a lot of horror stories about people getting Zen 2 to work with MSI B450 Tomahawk boards, but does anyone have any experience with the Mortar? It's available in my country and I was thinking about going with it for my new build, since most people say it's the best mATX B450 board, but I'm wondering if I should just avoid MSI altogether.

I have a mortar titanium, which I'm led believe is the same except grey instead of black, and I'm about to start my build tonight, I'll let you know how it goes

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Put all my parts in and my Mortar Titanium with 3700X posted first time, currently installing all my stuff. Cpuz says my memory is running at 2133 so at some point I need to go out into bios and fix it, but otherwise everything seems good. Then I just need to finish my too many cables management and put the sides on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Puddin posted:

2133mhz is the default speed. Turn XMP on in the bios and it will kick up to the speed of your ram. (I selected xmpn1 and then selected the actual speed of my ram and it worked fine.)

I tried this and now nothing comes out, I can't even reach bios to change it back anymore, how the gently caress do I fix it? I haven't even had a chance to use it yet, and I just spent my entire weekend putting it together

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 28, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LRADIKAL posted:

Turn it on and let it sit there. Likely it will revert to safe settings in a couple minutes.
Is the memory you bought on your motherboards qvl list? A good bet is to enable xmp, then manually lower the memory's frequency a few hundred MHz.

It's been sitting here with all the fans spinning and all the lights on for 5 minutes with no change. If I can't fix this in the next 4 hours I don't get to fix it until next weekend. It was working perfectly fine until I turned xmp on

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stickman posted:

If it doesn't boot, clear the CMOS (page 37 of the manual). That'll revert all your bios settings to default and you can go from there.

Thanks, that worked, I'm back in windows and now my ram is running at 3600 somehow so I'm going to chalk it all up to the same sort of lighting rock magic that lets you use a mouse in bios these days.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Still a work in progress, lots of cable management to do, need to peel the plastic off the top and front glass panels, and a new gfx card next month, but here's my new 3700X rig

There is a rocket Orc in the case because of the Mantic thread.

Compared to the past

I am pleased with my upgrade, carry on AMD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ratbert90 posted:

Soon: DDR3, 4, 5 and an optane slot all ok the same mini itx TR4 board.