Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SourKraut posted:

If every country had hit Intel as hard as the EU did, they might have changed their actual business practices. But alas...

Isn't that still in appeal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I can't wait to unlock extra dies on TR

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

Ryzen Threadripper II, 64C/128T

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

PCB layout is the fun part, trying to figure our why your PCB doesn't work right when it comes back from the fab is the part that will drive you insane.

Can confirm this even with simple PCBs. I spent a week diagnosing a board only to find out it was a manufacturing defect that was killing it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Youtube-dl is good and cool

Thanks for listening

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What do you think of an 8 core TR?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

Supposedly there's a non-X version of each SKU coming as well, so no. There will be an even cheaper 1900 non-X.

https://videocardz.com/71319/amd-ry...nd-1950-spotted

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What do you do to break Intel's hold, anyway? Not much, as far as I can see.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Huh. Would a 2600k @ 4.3GHz and 16GB DDR3 RAM (not OC'd) to a modern Ryzen system with fast-ish RAM be a good upgrade for VR?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Man with Shovel (tm)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eames posted:

Hmm, TR boosts to 4.2 Ghz on four cores. IIRC early 1800X only managed that with very high voltages, so it looks like the process is already improving or they're using the very best dies for it.

That's only two cores per die

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why do all the boards have so many USB 3.1 connectors, except the ASRock with USB 3.0? That can't be right.

Isn't 3.0 now known as 3.1 Gen 1?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

They're slightly different, the physical layer is identical but they added a new encoding to 3.1gen1 that reduces overhead by using larger packets. Theoretically the bandwidth overhead is reduced from 20% to 3%.

Oh, that's the first I've heard of this. That's actually pretty interesting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

Will be interesting to see how well the new 6core intels work. That gamernexus 1700x vs 7700k review was quite bleak, ryzen still leaves a ton of gpu performance unused.

Weird, I got the opposite impression

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

But it is turning left

Underrated post

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

Lol, holy poo poo where is that from?

CNN

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

The two modes with TR seem to be a pain in the rear end. For me it feels too much unnecessary thinking and tweaking. I'll look at the new intel 6 core models, and if they really can go ~5GHz+ on all cores with decent temps it is the way to go. Amd just won't catch intel in single threaded performance this year.

(Or maybe it just looks like so because anandtech used garbo ddr 2400 or something instead of 3200+..)

Are you new to computers and do you know that TR is a HEDT chip, not a consumer gaming CPU?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

X399 aorus gaming? X399 gaming pro carbon? X399 fatal1ty pro gaming? X399 zenith from asus has no "gaming" but it's republic of gamers branded and comes with full rgb led arrays

So please tell that to the motherboard manufacturers, not me. The launch motherboard lineup consists purely of gaming motherboards.

I didn't know they designed threadripper

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I had to check the article because I didn't believe you

e: Looks like they updated the graph to not be stupid

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 10, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not sure you'd even want to OC a TR system if you're running games. XFR boosts up to 4.2GHz on 4 cores on the fully enabled chip, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Threadripper introduces a new system power draw offset

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scarecow posted:

Yeah im really torn now as if the 1900x or what ever they call it is just like a 1800x but with more pcie lanes etc i would buy that

But if its a 4c/4c split over the interdie then rip so much for a threadripper build that would set me up to transition to zen2 later on

How could it possibly be a single die and have quad channel memory?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlayVus posted:

There are two memory controller chips per die.

Wait, how is that set up? I thought they were literally Ryzen chips linked up. Double dual channel gives you quad. Is that not correct?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Adams posted:

Vega reviews are out.

Vega 56 looks pretty good compared to the Geforce 1070, but the 1080 can't be beat.

Power draw, lol.

Also, Vega 56 launches in two weeks, and it remains to be seen if the market price of the card will match the MSRP of $400.

Sir this is the CPU thread

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I love Gamer's Nexus and think the delivery is great, better than most tech shows.

Especially Linus'

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wargames posted:

GN gave us a 20 minutes of details, Linus seemed to have made the video as sort as possible as to not piss off amd with bad press. Really out of a 7 minute video 2 minutes was intro and exit ads.

I mean in general.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That makes a lot of sense, Ryzen is the first compelling new thing we have seen in desktop CPUs since Sandy Bridge or so. Hopefully this lights a fire under Intel and we see some real innovation from both sides over the next few years.

Perhaps we'll see a new, inventive form of rebate for manufacturers?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I dunno, Intel seems to be able to appeal that ruling indefinitely.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The "SLC Cache" is several gigabytes in size, iirc. A quick googling suggests the 128gb drives have 3GB of cache, the 500gb has 8gb, and the 1TB has 12gb. No idea if that's accurate, I'd ask the SSD thread.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Intel is innovative in discovering ways to prevent competition.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

We've got the best 2018, don't we folks?

I'm excited for Zen 2 or Plus

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zen 3.0, Zen 3.1, Zen 3.1 Gen 1, Zen 3.1 Gen 2

Zen-C

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Is there any risk of some sort of weird air pocket/bubble existing betwen the CPU and cooler if you manually spread the paste beforehand?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rexxed posted:

Yes, that's why you don't do that.

That's what I thought, but couldn't remember if I'd imagined it or not.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

https://my.mixtape.moe/ryneag.webm

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

How is the tablet market doing in 2017?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CPUs aren't the general bottleneck for standalone VR, are they? I thought it was mostly GPU and heat/power consumption in general that was the issue.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm having an issue where Windows doesn't display the lock/logon screen after I lock the machine, requiring a reboot to log in.

I just don't get W10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The best part is I can get the lock screen to return by RDPing into the machine.

But after a few RDP log-ins, the "Interactive Login Service" or whatever fails and every RDP connection instantly disconnects without bringing the lock screen back.

:windows10:

But this is the AMD thread, so I digress.