Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm so glad that AMD's marketing department turned into a parody of itself

So cringey, it went off the deep end and looped right back around to awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I didn't watch the stream; since Ryzen is pronounced Rye-zen is this pronounced episs or something?

Eh-pike

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

shrike82 posted:

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Is there any other setup I need to do to optimise my system?

Did you update your motherboard's BIOS?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Paul MaudDib posted:

They were coming out with a v2, I'm fairly sure I saw them at Microcenter a few weeks ago, but maybe that was old stock?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The EK Predator is discontinued. They are now selling "complete watercooling kits in a box" now with proper fittings and soft tubing runs you cut yourself.

EK announced way back at the beginning of this year that they were going to replace the Predator AIO series with EK-MLC (modular liquid cooling) so that you could run an EK loop for your GPU only or something--I've read in a couple places that the transition to this new product line isn't going to happen for a while because 1.) EK moved a lot of their production work/storage space to a new place this spring and 2.) they're not really motivated to do it because Predator AIOs actually cut into sales of their custom loop parts/lines/kits :ssh:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

FaustianQ posted:

You know an interesting and kind of depressing thought, but maybe TR exists solely because AMD doesn't think they'll get enough orders for EPYC and are trying to recoup costs? I remember way back that there was no hint what so ever of a HEDT platform for AMD, HEDT and Threadripper were very, very recent and there is indication TR4 is a minimally repurposed from EPYC.

For what it's worth, AMD applied for the trademarks Ryzen and Threadripper in the same session towards the end of last year. It got a hilarious reaction from this thread about many things, from AMD marketing to 3d fantasy females on video cards again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
DDR4 RAM is super expensive in general right now and it's just been so hard for manufacturers to keep up with demand. Hopefully relief will come sooner than later, but the list of smart devices that need memory doesn't seem to be going down right now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Have we seen the inside of a Threadripper package yet? I keep seeing this shot of Epyc and it's making me wonder if people are getting the wrong idea of where the dies are located under the heat spreader.

16 cores = 4 CCXs = only 2 dies, right?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shaocaholica posted:

I kinda stopped following news back in 2012 which was like pre bulldozer(?). Can some give me the cliff notes of the last 5 years.

You can actually strongly consider buying an AMD Ryzen if you have tasks you need done faster with more CPU cores/threads, unlike anything Bulldozer.

I don't think we can call it 2002 again until we see Intel's Coffee Lake-S not live up to expectations. Intel's Skylake-X is a bit messed up in a number of ways and is priced quite high vs. Ryzens with similar core counts oh also the Ryzen matches it in a lot of games, which is a step back versus early 2017's Kaby Lake

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I really hope low-power Ryzen variants pan out well, especially if AMD can get some extra cores in some mobile workstations. Asus showed that hilariously big ROG GL702ZC gaming desktop replacement using full-desktop Ryzen die at Computex, but that's of course more of a halo-tier proof of concept. A smaller 6- or 8-core device that runs cooler and quieter would be very useful for certain apps, and I hope the great yields on those mobile-oriented dies test out nicely!

e: okay, the GL702ZC isn't super-huge, it's merely somewhat heavy at 7 pounds with a 17.3-inch display and a not-modest bezel.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 24, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

that is an epyc shirt, dr. su. made by nike

also i can't wait for the first video of someone turning this box on

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
With a Threadripper processor. Somehow.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1j3S6MKB_E&t=104s

That almost seems like a reasonable amount!

who's going to even have torx screwdrivers handy for this?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Source is PCWorld

Giving us all a chance to be the Doomguy

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

nerox posted:

I put so many LEDs on the sides of my case, that I can technically use it as my monitor. -Corsair in 2 years, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5d7ynJXiZc&t=270s

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I always thought the Pro versions were a little more durable, mind you this is from the Samsung 840 days that I have this info, I don't know if it is still relevant with the M2 versions.

I do have to say that both of my 840 Pro 256s are still trucking along, never had a problem with them.

QVL?
Unless you're constantly writing terabytes of data to your Samsung SSDs every day, you're not going to see any Samsung SSD die unless there's been some catastrophic failure/mishap that would be covered under warranty.

Click the QVL tab on that page. QVL = Qualified Vendor List, it contains all the motherboards that G.Skill can verify they've tested that RAM at the DOCP (preset memory profile) speeds listed on the packaging.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wonder if that kind of influence is part of things like the official feature advertisement of TR getting "best binned dies". Has any chip designer actually gone out and said that to the public before? (not talking about third-party PCB designers like EVGA's Kingpin line)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If "12nm" is very much a revision of the 14nm process for GloFo then I can't wait to see how Ryzen 2's product stack will end up looking in terms of activated features vs. price.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Truly, we live in the post-apocalyptic future and mega-corporations worldwide must engage in cage matches for ocean barges full of DDR4 SO-DIMMs

I'm pretty excited to see how Vega M crushes compares to Intel GPUs!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:vince: if this thing isn't supposed to compete with Ryzen mobile, what could its intended use possibly be? NUCs with no AMD branding on them at all?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is like boycotting computers because they have parts made in China.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Paul MaudDib posted:

We just had someone in the monitor thread looking for a monitor that wasn't made in china... good luck with that, pal.

To be fair, I have tried before to put together a comedy shopping list of components with as many mentions of the word "Japanese" as possible. Japanese solid capacitors, Japanese SECC steel case, that one $1000 Cooler Master Made in Japan power supply engineered by Murata, etc.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Initial report blurbs say end of March. Which parts of the lineup get released first can vary greatly between now and then

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for shaping our industry Intel.

Also how does one foster a populist uprising of hardware consumers????¿???¿??????????

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't think there will be enough unrest to topple all this inertia until people actually start dying over the issue, goodness forbid.

Alternatively, who wants to join me in starting a buttcoin based on the level of danger loosed on the public by developer neglect and/or collusion

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can someone briefly describe to me what happens when you're given more virtual threads in a workload than real cores and/or HT threads, and how much relative time it takes to solve that problem versus simply having enough cores for the entire workload?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Alright, I think I got most of that. I'm kinda coming to a conclusion on what hardware the developer of an application had in mind when writing it for the x86 architecture (surprise, the developer was Capcom and the workload was the PC port of Monster Hunter: World) and it definitely seems like the original game must have really taken advantage of the peculiarities of Jaguar's 8 cores on PS4 with not much effort in looking at the low-level on non-console architectures. The MT Framework engine for the port full-stop throws 32 different threads at PCs with some thread priorities way out of wack, like rendering threads designated higher than disk i/o threads :downs: This is causing a bunch of issues involving hitching and crashes and possibly even network disconnections(!) because of the short amount of time the developers had (since this spring) to bring the game to Steam. Overtaxed consumer PC processors, especially ones lower on thread capacity and clock speed look like the biggest victims.

basically i'm thinking of getting a 8c16t CFL refresh aka whiskey lake or ryzen or threadripper in NUMA mode for mhw

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yes volumetric fog is bad for computers and also actually makes everything look worse, it's turned off on a lot of MH:W tests out there and I do it too. Biggest change as it turns out is maximum Level of Detail and its distance, which provide a great boost when reduced but also makes some models very, very simple.

Anyways, duly noted on unofficial nomenclature and Ryzen/memory choices. It would be a complete platform change with memory for me and I've got a 144Hz 1440p monitor, so it's not going to be an easy change and nVidia might get involved, too. I can certainly wait until Zen 2 to find out how well the IPC gains and power efficiency come along with the 7nm process!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can't wait to deactivate half of my chiplets to play the next waifu simulator with peak ideal optimal supreme memory response time

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
WRT Zen2 chat, technically a die shrink is still a new design, if only in physical implementation, i.e. components need to get shuffled around because the electromagnetic compatibility between pins and signals inside the die totally changed with the reduced dimensions. The processor needs to be rebuilt, maybe not so much in logical implementation, but still possible to need to make revisions on that end as well.

MEANWHILE it ought to be mentioned that with bighuge global chip design corporations that can afford large R&D teams, there are probably multiple iterations of the same line of processors, simultaneously designed ("pipelined", heh) to follow the progression of the silicon roadmap. A core complex doesn't necessarily have to be a difficult transformation when many different concepts of the same CCX have probably been simulated and even prototyped already.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The general goals of moving to new materials are 1. Making the electrons inside go faster so the transistors switch faster so computers go faster
2. Using fewer electrons to make a transistor switch so that it consumes less power and doesn't get literally hotter than the freaking sun when you pack billions of them together
And certain III-V materials can do one or the other, given their crystal structure.

Even with our current materials there's a ton of research being done on new transistor "mechanisms", like single-atom transistors or spintronic ones that don't have to worry about pushing electrons at all.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
As long as Ryzen lives I shall keep the Platfrom beacon kindled

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

jisforjosh posted:

This is the first time in over a decade I've been legitimately pumped for a CPU from AMD and putting off my new build to see exactly what Zen 2 will be capable of.

The bright outlook and the timing of when I expect to have some expendable income from my new (soon to be big-boy!) job puts me in your boat. I was very happy with how well I'd put together my Broadwell build a few years ago and I hope to turn that up to 11. Hopefully coming back to Team Red for the first time since my Phenom II X4!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Broose posted:

Please forgive the dumb question I am about to ask: Why would you want to disable hyper threading? I was under the impression (and casual google searching gives the same) that the computer just uses it when it can (video editing, etc.) and ignores it otherwise (gaming?) with no downside? Sounds like there is a downside though, since you want to disable it.

Above posts answered this from a security perspective but the point is to disable working threads on a what is presumably a higher speed-binned chip for less power consumption and less heat which could possibly mean higher and more sustainable overclocking behavior.

Cutting 32 threads back down to 16 is apparently okay if you don't do a lot of work that requires a lot of parallelism but is definitely one of those things that makes more sense on paper than in practice and also some posters on Serious Hardware/Software threads will roll their eyes at you for not getting the most value out of the features you splurge for.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Not when you get things like this;

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh that's a frametime histogram. Ohhh. Gotcha

I haven't perused the Monster Hunter thread in a long long time and a lot of the port controversy i only heard of by word of mouth and read secondhand accounts. (i liked the port because it let me play with my friends so i tend to be a profuse apologist for it) Hundreds of threads and not 32?

karoshi posted:

let's benchmark kernel context switching.

*entitled gamer voice* Then it's time for kernel context switching to get faster. Get to it, Microsoft! Intel! Wintel! :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Porting down the Epyc chipset seems like a decent move in concept, especially if X570 will end up being the platform to try and tackle the I/O coming from 16 cores whenever that second chiplet space gets filled in. Who knows when it'll even have an appreciable effect though....

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Cant wait for 8C Zen2 to reach 9900k parity already so we can see how both sides change their tune

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The upgrade is you, you bought a new iPhone so you upgraded your fashion and that will surely make other people like you

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

7nm for phone SoC's makes sense when you consider the malware and adware that has to run all the time on them in the background eating up CPU time and the batteries.

I get where you're coming from, but blame the groups who design that poo poo for the most commercialized electronic platform to date. The desktop is technically older and people hadn't fully figured out how to exploit it for profit back around the turn of the century, and a lot of people who post on the internet about things like this have a great deal of nostalgia for those days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Are you putting the RAM in the DIMMB2 and DIMMA2 slots

Edit: if you are using a non-stock cooler, has the thin plastic covering on the CPU cooler been removed yet

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 14, 2019