Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Arzachel posted:

The X3D is also a one-off (at least for now), regular Zen 4 won't be using a cache die either.

I think the current rumours say there's Zen 4 chips with 3D v-cache on the way, but they aren't going to be available when Zen 4 launches this year. Could just mean there's a 7800X3D next year and nothing more though, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

think Zen 4 launch is currently expected around October, before the end of the year for sure

performance rumours seem to be that generational gains are a bit bigger than Zen 2 to 3

lih
May 15, 2013

you mean 2024, right

no way Zen 5 is coming only ~6 months after Zen 4

lih
May 15, 2013

I haven't seen anything suggesting any earlier than late 2023 for Zen 5 and a quick search doesn't come up with anything either?

certainly not expecting the same sort of delay as with Zen 4 but I don't see any reason to expect Zen 5 as soon as April

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah there was a leaked roadmap about a year ago that said Zen 5 is planned for N3 & plenty of reporting that AMD has capacity booked, but there have been reports in the last few months that TSMC is having problems with N3, so there's speculation AMD might have to change plans - either delaying things or using N4 instead or even switching to Samsung, but reports are that Samsung's 3nm isn't going any better

lih
May 15, 2013

if N3 is doing worse than expected but N3E is doing better & being brought forward to help compensate, that could still potentially have some impact on the scheduling of things, but who really knows how it will work out

lih
May 15, 2013

they've said AM5 is intended to last for around as long as AM4 so Zen 5 is surely on it at the very least

idk why it's a problem for planning, at this stage it really does sound like it's just going to be a typical close-to-yearly iteration, not a delay like Zen 4 or anything unusually early

lih
May 15, 2013

don't think there's any solid rumours about Zen 4 desktop APUs yet but the rumour is that all 7000 series CPUs are going to come with very cut-down RDNA2 integrated graphics, so any more fully-featured APUs would surely have RDNA2 as the bare minimum and potentially RDNA3 since that's what all the mobile parts are

lih
May 15, 2013

the 5600G is not just a 5600 with iGPU added, it's significantly slower than the 5600. the 5600 is far better value for money and is absolutely what you should get at that price point.

the only real reason I can think of to get a 5600G is if you are building an extremely low-budget gaming build that isn't going to have a discrete GPU at all.

lih fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 19, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

if you want best value for money, the 5600 is cheaper than the 5600X while barely being worse in terms of performance

if you want best performance without going above 65W default TDP then the 5700X is there but not really worth the extra cost at all unless you desperately need the extra cores for something

lih
May 15, 2013

AMD APUs with RDNA2 integrated graphics only got their first release back in January. Mendocino is just a lowest-end continuation of that

lih
May 15, 2013

Cygni posted:

Interesting strategy. I haven’t seen any leaks of a Zen4 Vcache part at launch, so might be a strange situation for gamers.
rumours have been for a while that Zen 4 with 3D V-cache (though interestingly they don't have it listed as 3D there) wasn't coming at launch, instead coming a bit later (probably early next year?)

https://twitter.com/greymon55/status/1534539721464025090

but more than just a single chip is expected

lih
May 15, 2013

it's probably just they haven't committed to using 3D as the branding yet for the Zen 4 parts yet

lih
May 15, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At this point, I'm waiting for Zen 4 3D, assuming that will be good. There are rumors suggesting that AMD could drop it by the end of the year, and if not, then hopefully not too long into next year. 3D V-Cache with 5+ GHz... Please make it happen.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-raphael-x-zen-4-v-cache-desktop-cpu-launch-late-2022-confirmed/

AMD did already suggest that it's launching this year during their financial analyst day presentation

lih
May 15, 2013

the 5600 is the best value there - 5600X is only marginally better (a few percent at most, often less than that) while that's a 10% increase in price

the 5600G comes with an integrated GPU but is otherwise significantly worse than the 5600, it's not just the same chip with a GPU added. there is no reason to get it unless you are building a very budget build without a discrete GPU

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

it looks like there shouldn't be motherboard compatibility issues, though it is worth checking that for old B350 motherboards in general, not all models have firmware updates to support Zen 3

lih fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 3, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

there's still rumours of further Zen3D chips coming this year too, including possibly a 5900X3D

lih
May 15, 2013

necrobobsledder posted:

I guess the X3D makes some sense as a strategy to hedge against DDR5 being a limiting factor for builds or bad motherboards ruining Zen 4 launch. AMD really needs to stick the motherboard partnership landing to not get hit with a double whammy of DDR5 issues + motherboards holding back their CPUs (again) during what may be a really bad recession in their prime target markets.

rumour is also AMD has internally tested DDR4 for Zen 4 as well and will consider letting DDR4 motherboards for it launch if DDR5 is still in too bad a place

lih
May 15, 2013

the higher end has bigger margins and they were solidly beating intel there for a while. they were also having trouble keeping up with demand for a bit so there wasn't even really room for them to produce a 5300X or something even if they'd wanted, as it made much more sense to focus on where the margins are highest

lih
May 15, 2013

fwiw greymon is still saying the announcement isn't expected until early september, right before the launch on september 15th

and the v-cache parts are over 2 months behind the rest in production and so are expected to launch late november or december

lih
May 15, 2013

Zen 3 also added resizeable BAR, which admittedly doesn't amount to that much yet in most cases but it is a new capability

if you want to wait for a giant architectural shift then Zen 5 is expected to move to an Alder Lake-style hybrid architecture

lih
May 15, 2013

oh i remembered it being pushed the first generation of AMD CPUs to actually implement it but it does look like they eventually released driver updates for older chips too, had completely forgotten about that

lih
May 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

How do the numbers work with AMD, why were (iinm) the 4000 and 6000 Ryzen chips mobile only?

they release new a mobile chip series annually, but their desktop chips don't keep to as regular of a release schedule, and there isn't always direct correspondence between architectures.

it breaks down like this:
the desktop 1000 series is Zen 1
the desktop 2000 series is Zen+ (a Zen 1 refresh) and the mobile 2000 series is Zen 1
the desktop 3000 series is Zen 2, but the mobile 3000 series is Zen+
the mobile 4000 series is Zen 2 (and there were actually some 4000 series desktop parts that were APUs with the GPU disabled, they were not very good budget chips)
the desktop 5000 series is Zen 3 but the mobile 5000 series is a mix of Zen 2 and Zen 3
the mobile 6000 series is Zen 3+ which is a mobile-only Zen 3 refresh

but i think they're trying to keep it a bit more consistent now as it seems like the 7000 series will just be Zen 4 on both? but their marketing team could also totally abandon that before too long anyway, it's all arbitrary

helpfully they're releasing 7000 series CPUs and GPUs around the same time, to make things more confusing

lih
May 15, 2013

the september 15th launch date has been heavily rumoured for a while, question has just been how long before will the announcement be

lih
May 15, 2013

they've previously mentioned that Zen 4 V-Cache is launching this year & leakers are indicating it's a few months behind regular Zen 4 in production so a December launch seems likely

lih
May 15, 2013

Intel has already announced it's raising prices so I'm not sure AMD would even need to be that aggressive on pricing? but pricing is always subject to change until the last minute so I wouldn't put too much stock in any leaks there yet.

the increase in TDP for Zen 4 doesn't seem too appealing, AMD loves to boast about its efficiency but it's hard to see that being an improvement, though I'm sure with Intel throwing even more E cores on everything they'll be even worse, which is what leaks have already suggested iirc?

lih
May 15, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I think AMD's initial pricing will tell us how much of a delay they see between Zen4 and Raptor Lake. If it's 3 months, they're going to have a window to take some fat profits. If it's 3 weeks, maybe it's not worth the PR hit and having to immediately re-frame the mindset of consumers toward your products, and they predictively price a much smaller cut to be competitive with Intel. Either way, AMD is easily going to be able to sell their entire allotment of production because of server demand, so they just need to be smart about how they handle things, and I assume they will.

current rumours are raptor lake is being announced on sep 27 and launching oct 17, idk how reliable that is though but i would be surprised if there's much more of a gap than that. intel has already announced it's increasing prices i believe

lih
May 15, 2013

the APUs are usually just pretty much their laptop chips without the power restrictions, would probably expect they'll show up mid-next year or something since the laptop chips are expected to be announced at CES as usual

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7900x

lol on the product pages they still have the originally planned date of september 15 listed

lih
May 15, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean, it's fine for the moment, just wondering if I should update now while they're cheap compared to relatively recently. If people think they're going to keep being cheap I can always lay off for the next generation. I just don't want to be in a situation where I'm stuck with the 2070 in three years due to scarcity, scalping, etc.
supply is expected to be better generally, even if it might be rough for a month or two initially. the scarcity and scalping of the last two years was largely driven by crypto miners & is not expected to repeat given that crypto has been generally struggling lately. ethereum is also saying it's finally moving to proof of stake in the next few weeks, and if that eventuates it will further kill any demand from miners.

lih
May 15, 2013

zen 4 mobile cpus are expected to be announced & released in january. sometime early next year for sure. people seem excited i think? raptor lake mobile is expected to launch before the end of the year so there's that too

if you need a new laptop right now, buy one now but if it's not urgent and you can wait another 4 months then you may as well wait. it sounds like it's urgent enough that waiting probably isn't going to do a lot for you though idk

lih
May 15, 2013

at least there is a naming convention at all instead of before when it was very much anything goes

lih
May 15, 2013

they announced mendocino a few months ago and were very clear that it's just meant for chromebooks etc.

lih
May 15, 2013

repiv posted:

I'll need to check what that does, the SIMD units in the Cell were 128bit so I'm not sure what they'd compile to 512bit AVX512 ops

e: ah, their Cell JIT only emits 128b ops but they have a few hand-written routines elsewhere which take advantage of 512b ops

not sure how much difference that will make in the grand scheme of things, we'll have to see

https://whatcookie.github.io/posts/why-is-avx-512-useful-for-rpcs3/

this is a summary

basically there are a few eccentricities of the PS3's instruction set that map well to AVX512 & that does translate to a significant performance benefit with RPCS3

lih
May 15, 2013

there's the new directstorage api for windows which is intended to enable the same sort of stuff as as the ps5 with nvme drives, but i don't think anything actually uses it yet. over the next year we'll probably start seeing some stuff that takes advantage of it but it's going to be much longer before anything is really relying on it except maybe some ps5 ports?

lih
May 15, 2013

kliras posted:

i haven't followed that too much, but i think the price increase was just to deal with the strong dollar and faltering jpy/eur, which is why the price didn't go up in the us

yeah there's no new separate more expensive model, it's a price increase across the board. they're not marketing this refresh as anything different

lih
May 15, 2013

it's hard to say & we don't even know for sure what X3D parts are planned, let alone what sort of differentiation there'll be

there will likely be a meaningful gaming performance benefit over the non-v-cache parts in the games that really benefit from the extra cache but whether that'll be at all meaningful value is a different question

lih
May 15, 2013

it sounds like the X670 motherboards situation is pretty dire to start with, hopefully the B650s will be better but GN don't sound optimistic about that

lih
May 15, 2013

the real question is how much extra performance do you get from better cooling options but i'm sure there'll be some elaborate testing of that out there soon

lih
May 15, 2013

are they? it's an increase over last gen, unlike amd (at least directly, motherboards and ddr5 is a different story of course), but it's not a huge increase at least

really will come down to how the performance compares of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

i doubt it, when they dropped zen 3 prices earlier this year it was already a year and a half old & alder lake was very competitive. i don't think anyone's really expecting raptor lake to blow zen 4 out of the water in terms of value & if zen 4 motherboard & ddr5 prices come down before too long, which they probably will, that'll significantly improve zen 4's value