Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

v1ld posted:

Learned an unamusing lesson: the board would simply not POST with 4 sticks though either of the 2 stick combos worked individually. Even tried at 2133MHz JEDEC settings, no dice with 4 sticks. Finally tried seating all 4 and resetting CMOS - it trained on the memory and no problems since. A side effect of non-QVL memory?

QVL doesn't matter usually, probably some setting that was wrong. If your sticks are dual rank, getting those to run at higher speeds can be pretty dicey if the wrong setting is set too high. To the memory controller, 4 dual rank sticks are like running 8 RAM sticks.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to be louder than a NH-D15 (which is pretty much the best air cooler there is), but I'd first try stock at least.

I'm running my 3800x with a NH-U14S, which is the half-gamecube size version of the cooler your roommate has - very happy with it. If you're more on a budget but want a better cooler, a cheaper tower cooler would be the Hyper 212 EVO (they now all come with AM4 brackets, contrary what their website says).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have Hyper-V enabled now whereas you didn't have it enabled before (enabling Memory Isolation in Defender activates Hyper-V as well, as does Sandbox, WSL2 or Application Guard)? That tends to reduce performance by a bit

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Motherboard manufacturers have been quietly increasing their default voltages for Intel CPUs above what Intel recommends for a long time, this is type of behaviour is (unfortunately) a very old hat.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure capitalism invented that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You need to rotate the cooler off, not rip it out straight. Also, why do you need to remove the cooler that often anyways.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still want to know why he's replacing his cooler this often.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
QVL lists usually don't matter. Be sure to update your Bios to the latest version, that might help. And use the slots recommended in the mainboard manual, as suggested.

The RAM might also simply be defective and not run stable at full speed.

teagone posted:

My Plex server only supports Vengeance LPX ver 4.31 DDR4-3200, but when I ordered the same part number online to add another 16GB, I received ver 4.36 or something, and I can barely run the RAM at 2933 MHz.

If your RAM is dual-rank, that is the reason - not it being incompatible. Running four dual-rank sticks is like running 8 single-rank ones, which consumer CPU memory controllers can't do at high RAM speeds.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're better off buying a cheap SATA SSD and using PrimoCache. Optane isn't good from a price/performance perspective. But personally, I would just get a cheap needs-suiting SSD now and not live with any more HDDs. Any system running from an HDD feels slow as molasses.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 28, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

Anyone have a guess as to whether AM3+ will be DDR4, DDR5, or both?

How about AM4?

EDO RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Wow the 5900x does not gently caress around when it comes to heat, my fans keep spinning up to near max because it'll spike to 80-90C super fast even with my NH-D15S. (It appears to be performing more or less normally according to 3DMark.)
Anyone got advice for reducing fan noise that doesn't involve underclocking my CPU?

Set more static fan curves that don't react to every temperature change.