Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
With the mitx board out, I hope we get ones that support ECC. I'd like a cheapo home NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

wargames posted:

or "it works for me I don't know care why it doesn't for you"

:v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
5 watts less on 4 more cores is pretty neat, yeah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Are they going to try packaging an air cooler with the R9 1998x?

It'll be an air cooler alright.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

choked to poo poo by memory bandwidth.

Yeah, does this thing feature HBM? If not, then it's poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Min FPS is better on ryzen for whatever reason, and min FPS dips are much more noticeable than average fps, so I'd take a 4 core ryzen over a 4 core intel any time of day. The price is just bonus on top of that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was due to architectual differences, as I don't really see how extra cores would magically fix random stutters in main game render thread, but I could be wrong.

e: Yeah sorry, googled it and it's actually not higher min fps than intels. I couldn't find any frametime graphs quickly though, I'll try to find some when I have more time.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 1, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

dont be mean to me posted:

When was the last time browsing the Web was light duty?

loving this. Websites are turning into steaming piles of poo poo that eat 1000 gigs of ram and 37 cores just by opening them. If don't want to close your browser every time you want to play a game, buy something with 8 threads.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nerox posted:

I dread the day I can't be a decent case with a solid panel instead of a window. Why do people want ram sticks that light up of all things.

I just swapped the panels on my case :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

What kind of sociopath plugs in their flashing HDD chassis light.

it'd actually be useful since SSDs exist now, but it doesn't exist on my case :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SinineSiil posted:

Please explain

You could hear HDDs doing work, now if you're stuck on a loading screen there's literally zero feedback whether your thing is just feeling like loading slowly today or if it hanged.

vvvv: that's fair.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

How does that work?

if the computer's hanged itself, the lock keys on your keyboard will not respond.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I did this too.
(I had to order a side panel from Germany without a window. Thermaltake took 3 weeks to reply to emails / FB messages, I mailed 3 different countries reps before getting one.)

I mean, I just swapped the backside panel with the front one, since they're exactly the same on my case, and the back one doesn't have a window. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

Yeah, FDs are pretty solid but most cases with windows are utter trash.

I probably never will do it, but just once I'd like to make a top-end machine with a custom loop + GPU block and put that fucker up for show. Until then, it'll just be the featureless fronts on my pair of define R5s.

I did the whole custom loop thing but I still have a featureless box (the panel with the window is facing against the wall).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to EPOXYC

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

A theoretical 8 core TR would be 2/2+2/2. You could also do a comical 4 core with 1/1+1/1, which would join the Epyc 7251 8 core (1/1+1/1+1/1+1/1) in "this is for a very specific use case" territory, ha. Lots of cache/memory bandwidth, lots of PCIe, not a lot of raw proc power.

So, ARMA gaming rig? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SoftNum posted:

I had enlightenment crash on me a few times, but I switched to i3 and it's been stable, so I think that's e's fault.

As an e user for over a decade, switch to kde. There's probably a kwinscript now that does the window management thing you want from your WM, and having a proper, working DE is real nice. E used to be fast and very nice back around e17 alpha/beta releases and when it did crash once per month, it'd just restart itself and it didn't show anywhere, but now it's a loving tyre fire.

The main dev is a huge idiot too, so it's only ever going to get worse, never better. :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Google's IPv6 usage statistics (gathered on the basis of how many connections they see to all their sites over v6 vs v4) are very interesting for that. For one thing, IPv6 adoption is consistently higher on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays than on normal workdays. For another, Belgium, the US and Greece are the top 3 IPv6 users, in that order.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

greece probably sold many of their ipv4 blocks off :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At least you saved on water cooling?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the lovely dead corpse of atari just refuses to fall down from its prop I see.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They are also most definitely not in a position to be developing games with their financials, much less selling game consoles. This is going to be ouya 2.0 at best.

e: literally why there even is a company called Atari right now lmao:

quote:

The Board agreed to change Infogrames Entertainment’s name to Atari. This decision will enable us to make the best use of the Atari brand, capitalizing on worldwide strong name recognition and affinity, which are keys drivers to implement the Company’s online, product and licensing strategies.[5]

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 26, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm XML posted:

AMD needs volume volume volume to get market share so them aggressively binning is no surprise to get the cheaper stuff out there

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600-6x-3-20GHz-So-AM4-BOX_1159710.html

This thing is selling on average about 100 per day (the "über 11.240 verkauft" thing, means over 11240 sold, it's been going up by 100 on most weekdays lately), and this is just one of the popular online shops in germany. I mean, it isn't even amazon

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's just how computers work these days. Doing the exact same thing over and over is not guaranteed to produce same or even similar results. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hmm. What are we going to call it?

The MPU, or the Molten Multi-processing unit, duh!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://geizhals.eu/?phist=1664849
https://geizhals.eu/?phist=1582193

:eyepop:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Word on the street is the process guys are having too much control over Intel and the design guys are falling by the wayside, in a time when they need the latter than the former more than ever.

If this is even remotely true, this is going to be one spectacular show to watch in the coming years :munch:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

but a random one-liner should not be able to brick your system, full stop. Poettering is a :spergin: for even suggesting it, even by Linus standards. especially by Linus standards, even.

is that why amdflash.exe can brick any system any time? it's just a random one liner that needs to be run as root :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kujeger posted:

the real horror here is that some firmwares do not have any kind of "use defaults if config is missing", not that it's possible to delete the config if running rm -rf /

:agreed:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah, the invisible hand :ms:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/948481524013268992

security through mindfuck

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Over 100 million? 1060 or 970?

Betting on 970, with its weird as gently caress memory config :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, I googled and it doesn't appear any single nvidia SKU sold >100 million. Has to be either something mobile or an intel iGPU in laptops.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, and there's no patch for it. Read bottom to top for some reason:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
For mini-ITX it's just the socket on one side and everything else on the other or what? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Undisclosed as of yet, but TR has official support so having a mobo without it would be a bit dumb.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Intel says "gtx 1060 or better level performance" for their vega apu from what I've seen? That's actually really good, I might have to get a laptop for VR purposes finally.

e: Yeah it's in that linus vid.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because it's the verge.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's the latter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Thanks for shaping our industry Intel.

Also how does one foster a populist uprising of hardware consumers????¿???¿??????????

Unfortunately, our predecessors were just fine with using proprietary bullshit, so there's no real competition right now. Start buying open source hardware and hope it catches up some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I like how the first govt to say "hey, these chip prices are acting a bit unusually" is loving china