Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Cheap bourbon and boredom got the better of me last night and I bought a Ryzen 9 3900X. How smoothbrained was that decision and should I return it and wait it out until October?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Advice noted - return the CPU, stick to clear spirits. Thank you!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I remember my dad stretching to buy the Macintosh Classic with the 40mb hard drive option, which (along with 2x the RAM) increased the price of the thing by 50%

Plus ça change, plus ça la même chose.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Release the lever on the socket and then pull off the heat sink. At least that way the CPU will release easily from the socket if it's glued to the heatsink. Then just use a razor to scrape them apart.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CFox posted:

To me Intel (and AMDs) long term battle is against ARM, not each other. It'll be interesting to see if the new ARM Macs actually start a real transition to ARM based desktop and laptops. Obviously that sort of thing would take a long time in the Windows world with all of those legacy applications people don't want to lose.

Apple will do what Apple does and few fucks will be given by anybody who doesn't use a Mac. I'll be amazed if the Adobe suite is somehow less of a total shitshow than it currently is when it's ported to ARM for MacOS.

e: to be clear, they're great at controlling the entire widget and I'm sure they'll pull some magic off like 12-15hr battery life on their 85Whr notebooks but the catch will be you'll need that extra battery life to do poo poo that you could've otherwise done in less time on an Intel Mac. It's like the inverse of the PPC days when their CPUs were miniature furnaces, only now they've long binned off the good poo poo like Aperture that could compel people to stick with them through the transition. I'm sure Rosetta 2 will be functional, but it's still going to be less than ideal.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 10, 2020

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GunnerJ posted:

If I wanted to upgrade from a 2700X to a new Zen 3 CPU, who would at that point buy a used Zen+ CPU? Just trying to figure out if there would be any kind of market for it at all.

The beauty of AM4's longevity is that there is a large market of people who can use those CPUs. It will sell on eBay.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ijyt posted:

That plus prices for tech in the UK always suck rear end.

e: I'm a little torn on upgrading my CPU now. Maybe I should just go for a 3900X instead, but the 5000 series performance boost in gaming is what I was kind of waiting for from AMD.

That's what I did. I managed to get a good deal on a new OEM 3900X for like £380 a few weeks back. It's not going to get kerbstomped by a 5900X, but also that's a big price difference and a big performance boost over my 2600.

Only downside is that it's sat in a box waiting for a day one 3080 order to materialise. :saddowns:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Malcolm XML posted:

The king is dead. Long live the king!

Need to dust off my Chaintech 939 mobo

It's all about the DFI LANParty UT nForce3-250Gb. Goddamn I loved that board.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cygni posted:

u know i had that ASUS K8N nForce3 250 board with a Sempron 3100+ OCed and hard modded to be an A64 baby, nForce boys rise up

Yes lad! Another gem from that era was the GeForce 6800GT which could easily be clocked up to 6800 Ultra performance without any real hardship, to the point where buying the Ultra made absolutely no financial sense.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Chaitai posted:

So with my new 5800x and Noctua DH-U14S, I'm getting idle temps of around 40-45C and Cinebench benchmark temps of around 87C. Is this OK / normal? This is my first time installing a new CPU and my own cooler, so I just want to make sure I've done this right so I don't screw up anything.

Sounds about right to me, assuming an ambient temperature of around 20'c. You can probably reduce them further by dialling back some of the CPU voltages in BIOS, I often find there's an easy ~10'c on the table just by dialling back Core and SoC voltages a bit.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

Stupid question but are no x570 motherboards 5000 series compatible out of the box?

My order for the 5900x is delayed because I ordered the AM4 bracket for my cooler, so I asked if I could get the board I wanted added as it's also on back order.

I asked them if any x570 boards are compatible out of the box and they said no. I thought by now if it's a board that isn't even in stock right now it should have a bios thats compatible?

Get a board with a decent flashback utility, that way you can flash to a newer BIOS without needing a currently compatible CPU. Asus one is pretty good from experience, anything BIOS related for MSI is a loving wild ride.

e: you'll probably want to flash the BIOS even if the board you get is compatible with 5000 series out of the box to enable resizable BAR support which is worth a few frames in supported titles.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 4, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Another vouch for Phanteks build quality - I have the Enthoo 719 which is probably way too big for what you're after, but the general fit and finish as well as included accessories are up there with the best in my experience.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Eco mode" to be renamed "Goblin mode"

?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
90s and 00s GPU boxes are my favourite genre of art.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
To horny jail with all of you, by degree of GPU Gandalf

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
"Defenders of the Gaming World"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Twerk from Home posted:

More charitably, I'd suggest that a given parallelizable workload will use additional memory for each additional process or core that it's able to use, because that's certainly true for my group? So you've got process X, that can only saturate 1 core, and uses a max of 4GB of RAM. If you want to effectively fill 24 cores, you had better have at least 96GB of RAM. It makes sense to me?

In that scenario how is 96GB of RAM "more optimal" than 128GB of RAM though?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

hobbesmaster posted:

As someone that has bounced in and out of technical marketing everyone posting about this has put more thought into this than the authors of that ad copy.

lol

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HalloKitty posted:

I have no idea what he gets out of it.

The voices quieten down for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Userbenchmark now requires a subscription to run their lovely benchmark suite more than once. :psypop:

Good, it's dogshit and should not be used by anybody with more than two brain cells to rub together.