Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kazinsal posted:

95% of what people say about ZFS is cargo cult behaviour.

It doesn't need ECC and it doesn't need something ridiculous like two gigs of RAM per terabyte.

I still can't get over the idea that otherwise intelligent people don't stop at the 1 gb ram per 2 tb storage (the recommended amount I've seen) and think, "Hmm, I feel like this need has more to do with the nature of my workload than the filesystem itself." :smithreddit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Why ecc ram on a workstation?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ECC for fun and security should totally be a thing! I'm not a stakeholder in AMD or Intel, though, so I'm resigned to pointing out that a $15-20 increase (if it is indeed that low) on ecc ram may or may not do as much net good as a spontaneous bouquet of flowers for your mother or spouse, depending on whether its just a home pc for browsing or a true critical-workload workstation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Every dollar has a purpose.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Does arctic silver come in pints?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The cybersecurity part of my brain is screaming

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rastor posted:

Here's a Gigabyte mini-ITX board for the AMD Ryzen socket AM4 platfrom

I had to explain to my co-worker what I just found so amusing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PerrineClostermann posted:

They pronounce it RyeZen in their videos.

Ha, no poo poo?

The mental image of a Buddha bread load is going to stick.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Using a $15 box screams to me that AMD leaving money on the table.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm trying to think of a good reason to make an intel based home hypervisor ever again

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

usb-connected bitcoin asics

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Motion to just use Zen, Zen Refresh, and Zen2?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

drat it, when are zen+polaris laptop apus coming out

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Haven't checked in in a long rear end time, thread. I'm curious how laptop APUs on Zen2 / Zen+ /2en it's looking? Is anyone putting AMD APUs that compete with, say, budget but high value desktop cards 1050Ti in a laptop?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I need to post my lego case

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NewFatMike posted:

A 5-30% performance hit probably puts their IPC right back at Broadwell/Ryzen levels, doesn’t it? Zen+ might close up the gap by a lot more than expected just by virtue of getting clocks up.

If I've read benchmarks right, 5-10% pushes them back to Broadwell. 30%... is almost as far back as Sandy Bridge?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SlayVus posted:

https://youtu.be/GWQ74Fuyl4M

TL:DW: der8auer says that they're using real dies on TR. AMD says they're not electrically connected. der8auer delids Epyc 8c and TR 1920x showing distinct differences in components on surface. He has them X-Ray Epyc and TR by PCB analysis company. X-Ray shows that TR is electrically connected to all dies, including infinity fabrics between all dies. He speculates that AMD could be holding back on a 32c TR component.

He says that all his TR PCBs have the same 32200 code printed on them and the Epyc had 32188. Speculates it's PCB revision.

No loving way

Hoooooooo boy my body is ready

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They might not be able to actually profitably package 32 working cores together for consumers until gloflo continues to unfuck yield issues?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wouldn't have happened if it was ARMed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Threadtearer

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Threadripandtear,ripandtearyourthreader

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Khorne posted:

It should be out in april.

I want to see the OC benchmarks. The shrink should give it some serious OC headroom (10%-15%) compared to before. If they can hit 4.4-4.6 reliably I'll upgrade from my i7 3770k and then probably upgrade again in 2019.

2019 is also going to be a big year for AMD on the server if they deliver with zen2.

The licensing savings for SMB moving to single die, 32 core Threaddenwerffen are freaking great

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FaustianQ posted:

Double Post but, AMD poached Ciscos Server CTO in charge of UCS. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/21/amd_lures_ciscos_server_cto_into_epyc_new_gig/

So good news for EPYC?

Sweet heavens yes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Everything this Fry's guy did, except he's a banker selling securities products and nobody in law enforcement in the US cares

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

10gbe in the home? Eh.

10GbE on all your business laptops? Holy poo poo I'd love to image nvme, 10GbE, eight-core systems in five minutes.

Ticket comes in -> start a reimage task sequence -> it's done by the time T1 support shows up

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

Super high bandwidth to the NAS is nice, especially when it's backed with decent read and write-back caching and sufficient disks. Quick copying of large files, and running Steam and poo poo like that on an iSCSI partition on your NAS.

There's a market for home 10g, sure, but it will be business laptops and turnkey appliances that'll bring that poo poo on die for everyone

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5e is a 350MHz medium, so I'm not sure any distance at 500MHz is wise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SamDabbers posted:

With low enough expectations, one can only be pleasantly surprised.

Doggone it, you jinxed it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Looks more like the tick and tock are together, with the Intel new third step "optimize" kept separate.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do you guys freak the gently caress out like this every time an exploit on some vendor's product is found?

actually I already know the answer, this isn't a question asked in good faith

Point, laugh and AMD for loving up sig validation, patch in a few weeks. Make sure your siem is alarming on unplanned firmware updates.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And most importantly, continue to ridicule Intel for continuing to bungle Spectre patches while their PR handles the situation almost as poorly as TeamViewer :mensch:

Then go buy Intel chips :eng99:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rastor posted:

Moore's Law, he dead

Is it 2012?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress Moore's law, great integrated graphics for less than $90 is where it's loving at

Gordon Moore can suck it, we're a society of web browsing weebs now, give us our integrated auxiliary acceleration resources

I want to watch scott manley send green men to space in 4K 60FPS and I want to do it on a machine that costs less than an Ikea mattress

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 5, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Manufacturers are moving Epyc 1 systems with loving crazy discounts right now, holy Jesus

If you've been contemplating a transition away from Intel but need to do so in bulk because you're locked into a common environment processor generation / aren't on microservices yet, right now is the time to call your VAR.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 13, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

x86 CPUs: The Intel/AMD Thread

It's been discussed before--and if memory serves me right--with positive responses. Nobody pulled the trigger.

If there are no serious objections, at 00:00 UTC Sunday 12 August 2018 (8 PM Saturday EST), AMD will acquire Intel (or something similarly improbable and official sounding) and I'll petition a mod to close the separate CPU threads.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Turns out AMD is satisfied with licensing x86, no merger will occur.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"we can't field this downmarket part because yields are too good!"

Why do I have this intense feeling of deja vu?

They *sniff* grow up so fast.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

apropos man posted:

Maybe we'd go through a period of PC's becoming extremely optimised for I/O etc, since that is the main area of development left as the CPU designs slow to a snail's pace.

This is already where we've gone in enterprise. Because cpus haven't been improving all that much in comparison to the conpute load humanity demands of the internet, in storage alone we are: gutting protocol overhead (SATA/SAS to NVMe), eliminating the need for storage protocols altogether (3dxpoint dimms now sold as "pmem"), and making relatively-secure storage retrieval directly from network interface to block device without even going though the cpu (RDMA). Both dx12 and vulkan are minimizing the involvement of system calls. The cpu is being eliminated as a middleman where possible.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The x360 is overpriced fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I dunno man, I think that's reasonably good. Could be better, could wait for a sale, but it ain't bad. Like, I'm still paying $550 for a Surface Go.

I was completely wrong! I had no idea that there were non-elitebook 360s. Those start $1300+, if you have a good VAR.