Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I'm looking at building an AMD based system but I read that there may be new better AMD processors coming in just a few weeks and I am admittedly relatively clueless about the current state of processors. Is this something that would matter for a gaming desktop and would it be best to wait? Any idea if this is a thing that will actually be reasonably available and/or affordable? Finally, if I went ahead and got something like the Ryzen 3700 would I be able to upgrade easily in another year or so without changing motherboards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright thanks. I'll most likely be waiting a few months to get a hold of a 3080 card anyway so I'm not in a big hurry.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So how good is AMD at keeping new stuff actually in stock?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any dates yet? I look forward to having bots buy out all inventory of these for months before I can get a hold of one.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pretty cool stuff so far. Not sure whether I want to pay the premium or wait to see how low the Zen 2 prices get and pick up a 3900 or something.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MikeC posted:

Expect 0 price drops. These prices are specifically designed to keep 3000 series relevant. That Aussie SI was right on the money.

Balls.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ijyt posted:

IDK if I'm seeing the big deal about the price. They seem pretty on par with CPU prices over the last 10 years maybe? Maybe I'm just forgetting what I paid for mine.

I don't think it's a big deal if you are used to getting Intel processors. It's just that people are used to AMD as being the scrappy budget friendly underdog.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

They really need to start releasing RGB versions of these processors for gamers.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Maybe Intel will be forced to drop prices making the 10700/10900 the best bang for the buck gaming performance? :psyduck:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been waiting for this announcement to pick up a mobo/processor and I think I'm just as stumped as before. The new chips look great but I'm actually weirdly leaning towards waiting on a deal for a 10700.

It'll be months before I can get a graphics card anyway so at least I've got time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some Goon posted:

Honestly the price bump is the one thing they could have done that would put Intel back in the running. They'll probably make bank off the margins, but savvy buyers might choose otherwise. Last I heard it was impossible to get a good, reasonably priced Intel Mobo though, so unless that's changed (and it's been a minute since I looked), AMD will likely have the cheaper total package.

Good point about the mobo. I suspect there will be a fair number of bundle deals in the next few months.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

movax posted:

Apparently AMD may eat Xilinx next week. Time for a general news thread, I wonder?

Wow, that would be huge news.

Also, gently caress Xilinx and their lovely support.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cojawfee posted:

Can AMD force Xilinx to support their own products in their current software so I don't have to program my FPGA in a linux VM?

Isn’t Windows 7 support good enough? gently caress Xilinx and Vivado.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

Has the x570 Tomahawk been sold at MSRP anywhere since release?

It pops up now and then on Amazon and Newegg but often sells out in minutes. I just backordered one two days ago.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any word on the supply of these chips yet? I'd like to spring for the 5900x, but they are making hardly any of them I'll be more than happy with a 5800x.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Better than Nvidia is a pretty low bar, but that's at least a little promising.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am getting so tired of the amazon 'add to cart - your cart is empty' dance.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Marxalot posted:

No, just added once on amazon. Though I did notice some discords were pinging way earlier than others. Notably this one started dinging way before the ATR-Grift one (which only pinged for the 5600x)

https://discord.gg/yUAk993

The stockdrops one posted nothing about the amazon drop

Thanks... this will be the third discord I am on for this (and ampere). I can't loving WAIT to be done with this.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I bought 32gb of 3200 MHz Crucial RAM, is this good or bad for a 5900? I know there was a lot of memory talk but I didn't really keep up with it. I could still return this and pick up something else if there is much room for improvement.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ijyt posted:

I mean honestly differences are like, maybe a percent at most, in the 3200 - 4000Mhz range and C14-C16 timing range. it's really not worth sweating over.

sean10mm posted:

The best RAM without spending truly dumb money is probably Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 but the difference between that and decent 3200 CL16 is just not that much.

Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking, but since I can always return the memory (yay amazon) it didn't hurt to ask since it will probably be a long time before I get a 5900 in hand anyway.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

xamphear posted:

My launch day Amazon order for a 5900X is arriving today, drop shipped directly from Ingram Micro. Unfortunately it will have to stay in the box until MSI un-fucks their X570 board BIOSes. I'm glad I don't have to keep refreshing sites to find one, but it would be nice to actually use it.

What’s wrong with MSI x570 BIOSes? I have a Tomahawk X570 I was planning to use.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

mune posted:

I thought I was out of the woods by getting my 3070, but it looks like the availability of the 5600X is also near-zero.

Where are you guys scarfing these cards up? Is there a discord or something I can hop in?

I’m in like 3 Discords and have seen nothing lately. I hope these aren’t a repeat of ampere.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A lot of posters seem to have gotten a hold of these which is promising. Do you think we are looking at an Ampere type of situation? I'm on 3 discords and I'm hardly seeing any zen3 drops anywhere.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cygni posted:

Based on the discord im in, 5600X seems to be around occasionally. 5900X and 5950X is in lol territory.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot more people signing up for notifications for the 5900x than any other flavor, which of course is the one I would like.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nohearum posted:

And Walmart officially bait & switched me. 5600x delivered for 20% over MSRP. :(

:rip:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hell yes. Just scored a 5900x in a Newegg combo bundle with some corsair vengeance rgb pro memory. Is this memory alright? I actually don't care about RGB but 32 gigs of 3600MHz seems alright. I admit I don't know much about memory timing, especially in relation to AMD processors and motherboards. If it helps, I will be using it in an MSI Tomahawk x570 motherboard.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hmm thanks. It looks like I could refund the RAM and only lose the $10 combo discount. I also have a set of Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz RAM I had already bought from Amazon that I was going to return. Maybe keep that and return the corsair?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd say it looks meh. Looking on MSI's list of compatible memory it doesn't show up, but it doesn't look like MSI has updated the list in a while. What look like 8GB versions of the same RAM do show up, and MSI's chart shows only 2 of them can run at a time, so if that holds true you might not be able to add RAM in the future if you wanted to (I'm not sure going beyond 32GB is something most people would benefit from in the near future anyway). The timing on the chips looks normal for 3600, at least at a glance. The only other thing that stood out to me is that the chips (for the 8GB sticks, at least) are made by Spectek, which is not a name I'm used to seeing for memory. It looks like they are a subsidiary of Micron, and have a middling reputation as far as I can tell. It doesn't sound like messing with RAM timings or overclocking memory is your thing, but if it was then I'd be more dubious about that RAM.

I got it in the mail today and it says it is v3.41 but I can’t seem to find out much about it. Is this a bad or good die or the Spectek you posted about?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I've just built my new Zen3 5900x based PC (posting on it right now in fact) but I am admittedly a little clueless on basic performance enchancing and/or motherboard settings. My motherboard is an MSI Tomahawk x570 wifi. Does anybody have a basic idiots guide to BIOS tweaks and improvements? I know I should probably boost my memory up to at least 3200 MHz. What are some good (preferably free) software tools for testing my build? At the moment I only have MSI afterburner installed.

I'm not the sort of person that wants to push my computer to the bleeding edge, but I also don't want to leave 'free' performance at the door. It would also be nice to have some sort of software to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that everything is working as it should.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What kind of temps should concern me for a 5900x? I ran a benchmark in total war warhammer 2 and got a max CPU temp of 91c using Core Temp which seems a little hot to me.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Arzachel posted:

91C° is fine for heavy all core load but probably too high for a gaming bench. What cooler are you using and what's the case fan setup?

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280.

Phanteks P500A case with AIO radiator out at the top, 1 out fan in the back, and 3 intake fans in the front.

Here's a pic in case I made any stupidly obvious mistakes.

e: I peaked at 69c just while writing this post and googling a bit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

sean10mm posted:

If you're getting high temperatures FAST then something is definitely wrong, those AIOs take a relatively long time to heat up all the water in the loop.

My guess is it's not seated right.

I assume you peeled off the clear plastic film from the copper plate before screwing it on?

Yes I removed the film and applied a normal amount of paste. I think it must be my aio install so i will redo it once I get more paste.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

pixaal posted:

Pretty sure your water cooling is wrong explained here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Basically you have an air bubble and your pump is sucking air and you have no waterflow.

He describes it as the proper way to do a top mount?

I took it apart and I think the problem is that I'm an idiot and the screws weren't tightened well leading to an air gap on one side. Unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to fix it because of lack of thermal compound. I won't really know for sure until I put it back together again but it definitely didn't seem quite right pulling it off. Welp!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so now that my cpu is running cool again (fixed AIO install) are there any easy bios improvements (low hanging fruit) to get performance increases? I've got my memory running at 3200 Mhz but I'm not sure what other settings I should toy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been pretty happy with my x570 MSI tomahawk motherboard so far fwiw.