Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm going to guess they're nT results?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's always going to be a little of both. I think it was mentioned here or in the Intel thread, but Kaby lake's overclocking is very unique.

If there isn't much headroom, one way to look at it is that there's no easy way to extra performance, or that the manufacturer isn't leaving any performance on the table (something AMD are accused of in the GPU space).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Raven dude ridge ES allegedly spotted. WCCFTech salt now, not later, etc:

http://wccftech.com/amd-raven-ridge-ryzen-apu-vega-gpu-leak/

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ryzen HEDT and server ES stuff leaking:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-engineering-samples-update

Looking pretty pretty good.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:chanpop:

Hugethreads.jpg

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What mobo/RAM kit are you using? I haven't had to pay much attention to RAM for builds before and I want to make sure I've got my eye on the correct kit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you very much thread! Home game stream server/render station/media machine build is going to be pretty dope.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If Raven Ridge can deliver 1080p60+Freesync at medium settings for current AAA titles, I'll be happy as a clam. Medium now is a lot nicer than it used to be, and that'll probably be really good for getting more folks on PC. What would that run, like $300 with a monitor and an HDD?

Destiny 2 as a demo, I really want to get my friends on PC for it because it'll support 21:9, but everyone wants to play it on the PS4 they already have. It makes me sad.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Think we'd be able to get 1050 performance out of an APU? RX 560 is having a tough time getting there, but if AMD can supplant their lowest level graphics cards with APUs, then the Polaris refresh makes a little more sense.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Arzachel posted:

Why the hell are you even talking about the 1050, leaked specs say it's pretty much a RX460*0.6 and if the arch delivers, we might even see it come close to that and not get choked to poo poo by memory bandwidth.

Because checking the leaked specs on my phone is :effort:

Also genuinely thought there was HBM on die, apparently Google thinks I love outdated WCCFTech articles.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

When we get Navi maybe? I can't find a quick overview on whether an interposer is the same thing as/similar to infinity fabric.

It's pretty likely that at a certain point most things are going to be served as components all on an IF/IP substrate. It would be extremely cool.

I mean, form factors would be able to go buck wild, and if you have things like AM4 being supported for 4 years, replacing CPU & GPU with a single socket replacement once every two years that would be fully sick. One day, AMD. One day.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ASRock mITX announced

Comes in both X370 and B350 variants.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hot deets on that AMD RoG notebook.

quote:

The dimensions of this notebook are 41.2cm x 27.2cm x 3.4cm.

:stare:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's probably exactly how they're going to do it - gives them a way to recoup as many defective dies as possible. They did it for their 4 & 6 core products, probably just scaling the same thing up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

16C/32T 64 PCIE 3.0 Lanes for Threadripper.

RIP MY THREADS LISA SU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maybe cut down CUs due to non compute stuff?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Raven Ridge platform is my most hype Vega product. Hopefully there are bigger ones than the demo unit at the show for mobile platforms. I'd take upscaled 900p@60 or with Freesync 2 in a thin and light, or 1080p Freesync 2 in an XPS 15 style computer.

The Threadripper platform is looking super neat, too. Since overclocking won't get it to Skylake-E performance, I wonder if all those PCIE lanes and soldered IHS are going to pull folks to AMD.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Better AMD news, R7 prices are dropped.

1800X: $469
1700X: $349
1700: $319

https://www.techpowerup.com/233966/amd-trims-prices-of-the-ryzen-7-1700-and-1700x

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bulldozer actually happened tho

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Saved

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is Threadripper capable of multi-socket operation?

I don't think so, IIRC the multi socket Epyc boards have 64 lanes dedicated to inter chip communication out of the 128 available.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alienware was a little surprising on that.

As much as I love AdoredTV, Level1 is a little more grounded than our friendly neighborhood Scotsman, Pretty good roundup of AMD stuff from Computex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2F8K3Agjs

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Silicone valley is also a line of BBW and SSBBW inspired pocket pussies, though you'd need one of those JNCO pants from the 90s to actually fit it in a pocket.

Edit: The marketing department is having issues coming up with a new name, the front runner is backpack bubble butt, but so far it hasn't gained much ground.

Headripper

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

No news on Raven Ridge yet, eh? I need something on that front. I'm starting to self-hype looking up old Carrizo APU reviews and fantasizing about whether those Maxwell-style improvements are going to make it to R3/RMobile.

E: I missed Epyc news, I guess. Looks p. neat. Hopefully it gets AMD more money.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm sure for laptop gaming, complaints would be limited if an APU could run 900p upscaled to 1080 like consoles do. It's not outside the realm of possibility given efficiency gains and driver tricks we've been getting lately - especially if the Maxwell style improvements Vega is getting also apply to APUs.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

It would also help to do like NVIDIA is doing with Max-Q and run bigger chips that are binned/underclocked/undervolted for maximum efficiency.

Speaking of which, I won't lie, I feel like the 10-series has stolen AMD's thunder in the laptop market too. APUs made sense when the alternative was Intel integrated graphics or lovely mobile SKU with 64 cores, but do they make sense anymore in a world where NVIDIA is putting high-end desktop chips in laptops? Let's say a Max-Q 1070 (underclocked 1080) gets you down to 120W for 1070-level performance, why do I need an APU?

I guess having it in a single package is a win for design complexity vs separate chips, which is a win at the low end... but high-end graphics aren't going to magically be cheap just because they're an APU, you will pay for the privilege.

Are the merits of having everything in a single package so great that the APU is self-evidently better than discrete chips? I don't think so personally, at least for most applications.

I'll take the wins at the lower end for a laptop. My road warrior really only has to play games somewhat competently at 1080p/medium for me to be happy as a clam and not choke to death on 3D modeling tasks. Throw in Freesync 2 in an XPS body and I'm ecstatic. I'll do my weird experiments to drive 4k60 over network at home.

This is all coming from my use case, but I'm tired of my MSI laptop. $1600 two years ago and I got a good i7-5700HQ, GTX 970M, but the body is all plastic and aluminum sheeting over it. If I can side grade because performance is exactly what I need to 1080p60APU/Freesync/metal bodied/good battery life thing sign me up. Raven ridge will essentially be the same CPU I've got now, I'm just hoping the GPU is, too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

All of this is true, I just re- summoned my more or less complete thoughts on eGPU in the laptop thread, I might bring them over here. TL;DR if you don't have a NAS, just set up a Windows home server that does file backups and use the eGPU enclosure, GPU, & NAS budget to make yourself a nice home server that'll serve games over Ethernet via Steam in home streaming. And you're no longer protocol/lane bound, you get the performance you paid for when you bought your GPU, not 75-80% of it.

Thunderbolt is still good even if you go that route because then you get a one-cable docking solution for monitors, keyboards, DAC, whatever.

I also don't know how Pascal battery life is on notebooks. Hopefully it's better than Maxwell in my MSI. Battery life could be a lot less of an issue now and I wouldn't know it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

*sync over SiHS is something that I need to investigate. Straight up getting measurements is hard enough on a standard system. There are a few things I need to figure out, but I'm not sure how to do it (output stream from server, output stream from Link, server client latency, etc).

I'm super *duper* curious to see if there's a way to get a crazy cheap Freesync APU powered device hooked up to my TV as the client box for that. My TV has Freesync, so maybe it'll send Freesync all the way through. Probably not, though.

The SiHS thing is also more for putting games on my TV, I think there's a software that'll let you just move your mouse between desktop and laptop as a kind of extended screen, so maybe that'll be fun to play with.

Maybe a sufficiently low latency desktop instance could do it? Can you pass adaptive sync through virtualized video output? That would be crazy but also nice.

Or just crazy over buy and peg your frame rate limit where you want like I'm doing for older games?

E: I'm glad you understand the laptop thing. Sturdiness is so good.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

gsync on the host or client machine? I've streamed from my pc which has gsync running, and it did fine.

Is it GSync on both devices? GSync on desktop and laptop? I'm wondering: if you get a frame rate dip on the server, will the client machine's GSync display still adjust the frame rate?

Also if anyone knows tools to measure dropped frames and streaming quality, especially on steam in home let me know.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

I said it in one of the threads but yeah, Epyc and Threadripper would both make killer GPGPU platforms too. Tons of lanes for good PCIe bandwidth (miners don't need this but actual compute programs do). Literally all you need is a CEB motherboard that takes MXM or mezzanine cards and you could build a water-cooled 1U rack server with quad (x16x16x16x8) cards that would keep up with the Tesla rack servers. With flexible risers you could get at least 4 air-cooled cards in a 2U chassis. You just loving know SuperMicro or someone is going to do it (I actually really like SuperMicro's stuff as much as Asrock/Asrock Rack, they both make some cool niche stuff and their quality is pretty solid from what I've read).

Missed opportunity to call their server branding Asrack

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

3000MHz was all my budget would get, but even on an April BIOS for the Asus B350 Prime mobo I got, it worked just fine. Updating the BIOS, I'm able to hit 3200MHz @ 16-17-17-35 which I think is pretty good? I don't know much about RAM timings. Corsair vengeance LPX 2*8 3000MHz rated.

R7 1700, but I don't think that matters at all.

I think memory is mostly solved these days?

E: it's not an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS (or whatever the number is), either

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 20, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Turns out my RAM overclock wasn't stable, had to back down from 3200MHz to 2933MHz. It's all diminishing returns after that point anyway, right?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been keeping this in for too long

WHERE ARE MY APUs LISA SU?

With all these SKUs eating pretty much every conceivable defect on a Zeppelin die, I don't imagine desktop APUs are necessarily a priority but my mad science projects can only wait so long.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Back-to-school at the earliest, more likely Christmas.

:negative:

I just want it so bad. I want to make VESA mounted PlayStation killers.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm sad the R3 line are 4C/4T. Hopefully Raven Ridge will have 4C/8T SKUs.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

So B350 looks good for a single GPU build. Any goon-preferred B350 mATX/ATX board? Or at least one that's known to be pretty good? I want to slam some 3600 MHz RAM into it and call myself good for the next 5+ years.

Asus B350 Prime here is fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

Release Raven Ridge already, goddamn AMD. Based on what the A12-9800 and R5 1400 can do, I'm expecting even the mid tier Raven SKU's to just faceroll the poo poo out of Intel products. An Iris 550 plays BF1 at around 45fps at 720p, low preset with 50% render scaling, the R7 on the 9800 does 48-55fps at 100% render scaling, same settings, while attached to the hip of lovely CPU cores.

Stop please I can only be so erect.

I need it too. Console competition on an APU is what I want. Need. And maybe we'll even be able to really goose them on voltage to get some dece clocks. Weird things like Freesync 2 VESA mounted water cooled computers. Boxes that pretty much just serve as 4k60 Steam Links. $450 complete gaming systems - monitor, keyboard, and mouse included. I want to throw up because I want it so bad.

APUs were always the most compelling Vega product. Lisa pls