Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not forget how amazing SoundStorm was :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

If you didn't have a dolby digital speaker system in your bedroom/dungeon and an nforce 2 amd setup then you might as well just quit computers

:slick::lsd::slick:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Swear to god I haven't heard "ECC" since the rambus days and am completely mystified as to why everyone thinks this is super important all of a sudden this month.

Because some people want to use higher core/thread count CPUs for stuff where ECC makes sense (IE not gaming). Large file servers, virtual machine workstations, etc. I think a few people got excited that we might be getting an ECC platform that isn't associated to Server CPUs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you're only plunking around with a couple of TB worth of data, ECC memory isn't going to make much of a difference.

When you start getting into arrays that are 32TB+ in size and moving around a LOT of data each and every day, ECC memory becomes something very nice to have.

code:

pool: linux_isos_01
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub in progress since Fri May  5 10:26:55 2017
        5.51T scanned out of 17.9T at 285M/s, 12h37m to go
        0 repaired, 30.82% done

That's just one of 3 32TB ZFS pool being scrubbed :shobon: I don't run ECC here, but I probably should.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think the 2GB / 1 TB comes from people talking about enabling DEDUP on large arrays. You can just as easily offload that to a SSD cache

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe I can swing one of the tiny Ryzens for my Plex Transcoder server since for whatever the hell reason Plex refuses to just send raw audio for any of my newest content anymore and the NAS just can't handle it.

It's usually DTS audio that causes a huge problem with this. Re-rip and transcode the audio to AC3 for a much better experience. Plex is really finicky as to which devices it'll direct stream DTS to. Heck even AC3 can be a PITA as well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rastor posted:

Every Threadripper is actually an Epyc with two dies lasered off, you can reconnect them with a graphite pencil

nerox posted:

Does it have a slot to attach a golden fingers device?

:cawg:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

You could build two entire workstations based on the EPYC 7401P for the cost of one 24-core Xeon CPU from Intel :lol:

I want to quote this for an entire page or two :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ryzen All In Wonder.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really, REALLY want to get a Ryzen or Threadripper system, but if v2 stuff is "just around the corner" I think I can wait.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah, you know what they say, "cutting edge is sharp, avoid contact" :) and I think I'd be better off with v2 stuff with the bugs ironed out, but I was really REALLY itching to get rid of my tired old FX rig :D

And here I thought I was being silly for upgrading from a 3770k :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SlayVus posted:

I thought the majority of games running 4k on consoles were all running some kind of rendering trucks like checker board. To get the visual quality they do at 1080p in 4k, I doubt any consoles could do legitimate native 4k. The 1070 barely does 30 fps in Ghost Recon Wildlands and less then 30 in Deus Ex, surprisingly gets ~50 fps in BF1.

A lot of games also do a TON of dynamic resolution scaling at various parts of the render path. DOOM is a great example of this.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes your computer just pines for you to touch it, deeply and in all the places. :blush:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I literally just built a Ryzen 1700 system and now I'm contemplating building a 1950x system. 1st world problems.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Goons in this thread told me to RMA my troublesome Asus prime x370-pro board and indeed - I had a dud board and the replacement turned out to be rock solid!

Here's the post screen. I think I'm doing pretty well with these specs without stressing out the components (too) much. Need I say that I'm extremely happy with the rig? :)

2 Keyboards dawg :whatup: :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Didn't need it as posted earlier. Windows picked it all up.

For Ryzen you just need to download the AMD Chipset driver, and whatever audio driver for your motherboard.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a software patch with ~5% average performance impact on Ryzen that I don't know about?

Errata happen, available mitigations matter. And we don't even have a documented scope of the exploit here - not even a kernel-team consensus about whether it affects AMD or not. It's serious, but the exact trigger conditions are still embargo'd.

As I said in the Intel thread, though, there are definitely cases like databases that Intel had previously smoked Epyc in that are going to poo poo the bed (or at least be competitive) on existing silicon with this patch. There is going to be a pretty serious incentive for players on existing silicon to turtle up their databases and SANs as separate dedicated appliances that you know will only be executing trusted code from you and no others (and can thus run nopti and ignore the performance impact). It's a huge blow to the whole hyperconverged concept - and/or AMD gains a big advantage in this area.

This is on existing code, too, though, and vendors may be able to drop that performance impact a little bit by optimizing for syscalls even harder now that they have become slower.

I think he was calling you out more on your choice of words than anything else. You were quite severe with your language about the AMD segfault issue and seem to be sweeping things under the rug, so to say, about Intel's very big, huge, massive problem affecting basically all their CPUs. In general you do come across as being a bit more Intel fanboyish than I think you realize :shobon:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

So yeah, to be frank this one's a nothingburger as far as end users are concerned. That's not spin, that's a realistic assessment of the situation.

Performance is one thing, security is the other really big problem here. Sure it'll be patched out, it still doesn't change the hand waving you've done ;).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How's asrock AMD bioses these days?

Stoked for April.

Solid AF. Have their Fatality x370 pro gaming board. I was impressed when I could just flash the bios from the Internet within the BIOS itself. :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Wouldn't take more than 10 or so tries to narrow it down if you just cut in half each time. That said, if you can get a TR 1950x to work in a workstation Epyc motherboard that has unborked IOMMU and ECC support, I could see them being pretty kickass for certain kinds of simulation work, the kind where the sim doesn't scale well past about 16-24 cores, so having tons of Ghz to throw at it would work nicely.

IOMMU and ECC work properly with TR. Pretty sure the IOMMU problem was a known issue with KVM.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a virtualized Win 10 overtop KVM or whatever the latest and greatest is these days. Anyone have a link or two to some guides? What's the best VM to run on Linux these days for GPU(Nvidia)/Audio passthrough?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Not really? Win 10 and Server 2012 won't boot if you have IOMMU enabled. I had to disable it to get it to do more than sit on the black loading screen. Perhaps they fixed it in recent BIOSes, I'll have to shut everything down and check again.

ECC works great, and makes overclocking RAM super easy, since you can run the test while watching the system log for the ECC errors to report themselves.

Blank screen is still probably a KVM issue as there are patches to the kernel + a userland program to re-connect the device if it disconnects the GPU, or a shutdown of the VM causes a problem with D0-D3 state transitions. I mean, it still could be a platform wide PCI-E problem. I remember the old NPT problem which turned out to be a KVM bug. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here as well.

If your issue is the D0-D3 state bug where lspci -v shows FF as the header for the guest GPU https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/7slj72/threadripper_reset_patch/ has your fix.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nono, I'm running Server 2016 as the hypervisor, and it really doesn't like it for some reason. Hyper-V is what work uses, and it's what I use because it works well enough for me, at least until now.

Ah,

RIP I guess :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yep, I just wanna be able to feed my SAS controller and tape deck directly through to the VM, instead of needing this hilarious round robin of tape drive to tape redirector to isci target to VM side thing. But we shall see.

How many TB of Linux ISOs are you backing up now? :shobon: I snagged 8 x 10TB HDDs over black friday. :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

My local microcenter went from 8 1920x+taichi in stock to 0 on saturday between 10am and noon at $913 for the combo.

The 1700x also sold out but that seems unrelated, because they were selling them for $265 or less and they aren't really good for any flavor of butts.

I guess I hopped onto the TR bandwagon just in time :shobon:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I have an ASROCK x370 board and the Gigabyte x399 board and have to say that both have been REALLY rock solid. Previous built as an i5-2500k/i7-3770k on a gigabyte board that ran super OC'd for years without a glitch.

Gigabyte x399 board is running my Threadripper @ 4.1 GHz with just 1.3vcore so I'm pretty impressed with that.

From a feature perspective I think the ASROCK board has a better UEFI Bios, but the Gigabyte board has better Audio + Network stack for gaming (SB Studio vs 720) (5GbE vs KILLER NIC).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Do you actually use the KILLER NIC? I found it to be an endless source of issues, disabled it and only use the Intel port now.

I've not had any problems with it. I didn't bother with the Killer Nic software though. It's probably garbage anyway.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Raven Ridge coming just in time for me to build a new system for the ~wife~.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spasticColon posted:

Are the 2200G and 2400G APUs overclockable and if so by how much?

Yes, and from what I've seen the review samples are hitting around 4.0?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

OTOH the Gigabyte Designaire is the only TR motherboard that doesn't look it's trying too hard to impress everyone.

Isn't that basically this https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf with a slightly different paint job :haw:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The RGB lights don't really bother me since I have it inside a case that uses sound dampening instead of glass and windows and such. I just checked the BIOS between the two and they look to be identical. So far it's been a rock solid board so I'd assume the Designaire would be pretty drat good too. My only gripe is they appear to be behind on BIOS updates.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Obsurveyor posted:

I still haven't figured out how to take off the front of my 400Q, so I can see breaking clips being a thing with that one.

I have the bigger brother of the 400Q and I can't get the drat top and PSU cover off :negative:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love how 1/2 of the exploits are IF you have root AND you have some signed drivers then you=win.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PerrineClostermann posted:

I hear you can get hosed if you reflash the bios.

That's the golden one :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

Are people intentionally ignoring you can generally reflash the bios from the OS? Does that not apply here for some reason?

Still requires root + signed BIOS from the Vendor. It's not a question of CAN you, but how difficult would this be to exploit. If you already have root and signed drivers it's well past the, game over man, stage of things.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

I just meant, dismissing it on "flashing bios" grounds seems kinda weird. Why not dismiss it on "this only effects state/corporate espionage" type arguments instead?

I don't think these exploits are significant.

No one is dismissing anything. They are indeed exploits. You could do the exact same thing to X platform if you have:

code:
A) Root Access
B) Signed drivers/code to bypass protection

If we compare to Spectre/Meltdown you didn't need any of those. You could simply run a java script and presto you're reading from memory that you should have 0 access to.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Measly Twerp posted:

Looks like you've caused a meltdown in this thread. Maybe he'll get so mad that his heart gives out, and then his spectre will haunt the thread forever.

:golfclap:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Yeah, running things in windowed fullscreen is perfectly fine in Windows 10. You’re not going to get enforced vsync or have performance problems with the desktop being up on the other screen. That’s just complete bullshit.

It really depends on the game more than Windows.

Munkeymon posted:

e: this might partially be the Windows composition manager's fault?
below: as rendered when I opened the file; above: after highlighting and clearing the highlight

Are you running multi monitor? Is one or more of your monitors Hi-DPi? Are you using >100% font rendering? Are you running different font scaling across 2+ monitors?

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 4, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Munkeymon posted:

Gosh how did you guess all of those?! Yeah, at work they gave me a 24 inch 1080 secondary monitor to go with a high-DPI laptop. At home I have a high-DPI main monitor and an old 1200x1600 secondary.

The odd thing, to me, is it only happens with Visual Studio and derivatives. Like, what zany-assed thing are they doing that nobody else seems to be doing? Nothing else fuckes up like that, that I've found, at least.

Microsoft is horrible when it comes to their UI elements following their own design principles. Event viewer, Taskmanager and a bunch of other apps within Windows also end up looking like crap.

The latest build of Windows 10 fixes a lot of these (but if you plug/unplug monitors without logging out you still get odd results). If you're on Win 7/8 :rip:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Latest Win 10 build has fixed up a LOT of the Hi-DPi issues. Not perfect but getting really really drat close. Multi Display Hi-DPi is working a lot better (as long as you aren't disconnecting displays often).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nine of Eight posted:

:same:
I'd bought the same motherboard initially thinking I wasn't interested in much overclocking. My friend who works at a tech store laughs at me for now having a 280mm AIO on a board that can hardly overclock so odds are I'll be giving X470 a try sooner than later.

This is why I almost always go for a more top end board. You never know when you might want some of the extra features and it sucks having to replace a motherboard. Grabbed an x370 for my Ryzen 7 and well there was only one option (x399) for my 1950x. Couldn't be happier with the builds.