Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Just being slightly cheaper won't win them the server space, I don't think. The TDPs on most of the lower-end Epyc SKUs are insanely high compared to the Intel comparisons. Server farms care pretty dearly about power efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Server from 2017 is cooler, faster, and more parallel than a server from 2011, truly groundbreaking stuff.

Also, judging from prices on V1 E5s, everyone migrated off those like two years ago when prices on Ebay tanked to like $80 for the E5-2670 v1. Not sure how many competitive places are still running those anymore...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Threadripper sounds metal as gently caress and is apropos for a company that hasn't had a competitive edge since 2005. They are trying to hurt Intel in a big way and are totally poised to do so.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I'm surprised they labeled the bars. Outs it as a sham graph pretty easily. I work with data on a daily basis and laypeople's eyes glaze over when they're asked to interpret an X or Y axis.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

My overclocked i7-3770 non-K gets 41xx and 13xxx on Geekbench. Not that Threadripper isn't impressive - it totally is, but man the 3770 is almost 5 years old.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

EDIT: I should also point out that AMD is replacing the CPUs for affected users. Why is the CPU division so much more loving competent?

Because they can smell blood in the water.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I really, really want to replace my 3770k with a 1700 or 1700x, but I can't stand how expensive 3200mhz DDR4 is, or how picky Ryzen is about running RAM at rated speeds.

For those deeper in this than me, the RAM-not-running-at-rated-speeds issue has been slowly getting better over time, right? I know that each motherboard manufacturer publishes compatibility lists, but sorting through those lists and trying to find the best, cheapest RAM to buy is time-consuming.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The good: I just bought a Ryzen 1600, 16gb of Samsung B-die, and an MSI b350m Mortar.

The bad: I live in Miami.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Truga posted:

At least you saved on water cooling?

I actually just bought an H80i v2. Imagine my surprise when it didn't come with an AM4 bracket.

Stuff is shipped but not delivered yet. Wont be here before Irma, and who knows when the parts will show up after Irma.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Are you overclocking that 1600 at all? If yes, how significant is the overclock?

Ryzen doesn't generally crash at stock speeds. Have you considered that it could be a driver problem or other faulty hardware?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

3200mhz is the best achievable goal. Most Samsung b-die will hit 3200, but 16gb costs about $165 at the moment.

Look for any G.Skill RAM that is advertised at 3200mhz and CL 14. That's guaranteed b-die. YMMV with 3200mhz RAM that is CL 15 or 16.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I just put together the following:

Ryzen 1600
MSI B350M Mortar (not my first choice, but basically 1 of 2 MATX boards out there with SPDIF - come on board makers step it up!)
G.Skill 3200mhz CAS 14 RAM (whatever the cheapest was)

Build came together nicely, though I haven't worked on a CPU with pins in a while (probably not since my old Phenom II X2!) so stress-free tasks like spreading the TIM made me nervous to bend a pin.

Everything booted on the first shot, so I installed Windows. The install was ridiculously fast, maybe 10 minutes or so. I loaded some updates and grabbed the newest BIOS for the motherboard.

Flashing that went well too - the stock BIOS was from March and didn't detect XMPP for the RAM properly. The new BIOS from late July found the correct profile so I dialed it in, booted up and ran 30 mins of Prime95 without any errors. Later today I'll try my hand at overclocking.

Some observations:

1) Ryzen is crazy fast. I was worried because the 3770k that I was replacing technically has better single-thread performance, but Ryzen feels quite a lot snappier. It isn't just a placebo because I did a clean install of Win 10 on the 3770k about a month ago. Ryzen feels faster at stock speeds than the 3770k felt overclocked to 4.4ghz.

2) Ryzen runs insanely cool. I have a Corsair H80i V2 that used to keep the 3770k at 40C idle / 85C at worst under Prime95. At stock clocks the Ryzen idles at 31C and hit 51C at worst on Prime95. I'm eager to see how far I can push it on stock-ish volts!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 19, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I apply TIM to a CPU not in the socket.

But I also don't just put a rice-sized blob of TIM in the middle of the heatspreader and hope the heatsink will spread the TIM for me.

My steps to applying TIM:

1. Remove CPU from socket
2. Clean old TIM with a lint-free cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol
3. Apply rice-sized (or for Ryzen more like pea size) blob of TIM onto middle of heatspreader
4. Use a plastic spreader (I like to use old credit cards) to spread an even layer across the entire heatspreader
5. Install in socket, install heatsink

Edit: the only reason I do it this way is that I don't trust the heatsink to spread the TIM for me. If anyone can convince me this is a fallacy and my thinking is wrong, I'd have no trouble switching to just putting a blob of TIM on a socketed CPU.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Booyah the smooth spread is close to the best, with the best (X) being something insane that nobody has ever really recommended ever.

Out of curiosity, what are the justifications for applying paste while in the socket? I can see a few immediate advantages:

1. No risk of bent pins (not applicable to any Intel made in the last 10 years)
2. No risk of dropping the processor

I can also see some limitations:

1. Small cases are tough to work in
2. No ability to get a nice smooth layer (somewhat obviated by the fact that the X shape seems to work so well)
3. Most TIM is semi-conductive, so getting it on motherboard surfaces can be harmful if you don't realize you've made the mess

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Ryzen chips underclock and undervolt themselves automatically, even without p-states. Some motherboards support p-states in addition to the on-board power management features, but they're rare and the users of those boards don't report good results from using p-states.

If you overclock Ryzen, it will still step down when there's no work to do. You can see it happen in something like hwinfo.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Did some overclocking on my new 1600 today.

Seems like I can hit 3.8ghz at 1.325v (more like 1.31 in hwinfo). This is neither a great number, nor a terrible one. I passed 20 minutes of prime95, but I'll likely run it overnight to check for stability. Temps never went above 68C with a H80i v2.

I tried going for 3.9ghz, but the motherboard developed issues posting. Only 1/3 starts could get to Windows, so I figured 3.9 might be pushing it a bit too far. Then again, I think I've read about people who had trouble at 3.9 but at 4.0 could successfully boot. More testing needed.

I was also thinking that I might just aim to do 3.7ghz at some (hopefully much lower) voltage.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Hmmm maybe I should also try to OC my TR. I have the RAM for it. It is already blazingly fast though.

Counterpoint - don't. It's so fast already you won't notice the difference after a day or two, and overclocking disables all the standard power management stuff and will make the chip use somewhat more power at idle and a LOT more under load.

In 2 years when you start getting the itch to upgrade is when you overclock.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Since then does overclocking inherently disable the power management features? You can increase the max multiplier while leaving all the power management features on (despite what a bunch of lovely online guides will tell you). You're not going to see any appreciable consumption difference until you start increasing the vcore voltage offset and really trying to squeeze those last couple increments out.

Overclocking automatically disables Cool'N'Quiet on most boards because CNQ is not very compatible with multiplier increases. MSI boards even with the most recent BIOS will reflect correct clock speed in the BIOS, but refuse to clock above 1.5 or 2.8ghz in Windows because of these bugs. Most other boards have similar bugs (and have had these bugs for months and months).

Unless you're crazy lucky, Ryzen overclocks are almost always dependent upon upping voltage. You can probably get an extra 2-400mhz at stock voltage, but beyond that you will be increasing vcore. If your BIOS doesn't allow vcore offsets (70% of current boards don't allow offset), increasing vcore disables additional power-saving features.

Finally, if you have Threadripper odds are you need it for intensive photo, video, audio work, compiling, encoding or other such things. It's already fast as hell for those tasks, and overclocking slightly too far can cause instability that can be difficult to detect and cause subtle problems that will mess with all of those workflows.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 4, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Well shame on me for expecting rough feature parity on the AMD side with what Intel was doing in their reference designs 6 years ago.

It's not all bad. Yes, increasing multiplier on Ryzen locks the processor at that multi, but Ryzen has built-in power-saving routines that continue to work in spite of this.

On my setup (1600) if I leave the processor at stock multi + voltage, it will idle at 1.5ghz and sit right at 28-30C at rest. If I increase the multi, CNQ is disabled (which is necessary because my board is one that suffers from CNQ bugs at non-stock multis). The 1600 will never downlock anymore, but uses only marginally more energy at idle, and idle temperatures increase to 32-40C because of it (dependent upon how far I've pushed the multi).

Really, the only reason Speedstep is so good is because Intel sat on their thumbs for like 6 years and barely iterated the speed of their chips past Sandy Bridge. They DID iterate the hell out of power efficiency (especially at less than full load) during that time, though at load all Intel chips from Sandy Bridge on are all equally power hungry.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Eh, I'm still fully satisfied with my 1600. Stock it runs cool, it's fast enough for all my gaming including VR stuff with my Rift. I also paid ~$140 for it after coupon and Ebay rewards. I could probably turn the cooler over on Ebay for another $15-$20 also if I cared to.

I do have a feeling that AMD will cut prices further, and also that the 1600 and 1600x are such big sellers that AMD will continue to give no fucks about packaging 8c processors into those boxes and selling them. From that perspective I'm kinda sad I didn't win the literal silicon lottery, but I'm fine with 6c/12t for now.

I do like that AMD got this reaction out of Intel, and that for all its speed the best Intel can manage is just a Kaby Lake with more cores glued on. The 8700k runs hot as hell and sucks down tons of power. Like close to Threadripper power usage, while having only a fraction of the cores. It is an insanely fast chip, but I've never been the type to buy the best chip anyway so it's all just fluff to me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Cygni posted:

Assuming you don't have a huge overclock, both of the consumer platforms are basically the same for power draw. At idle/low use, system power ranges from 40-50 watts pretty much across the board, and when gaming:

The synthetic stuff that kicks all the AVX units on (aka Prime) and stuff isn't really representative of daily reality.

"Assuming you don’t have a huge overclock" when every review site out there is squarely focused on the 8700k at > 4.8ghz.

At > 4.8ghz it pulls almost as much juice as the 1920x. You know, the processor with 12c/24t?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Have any official websites done some controlled benchmarks on the effect of RAM speed and timings on Ryzen?

I know a ton of end-users have, but I'm looking for that anandtech-level rigor here.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

gamersnexus did iirc

Indeed they did, thanks. Here's the link.

For the 1700x, the takeaway is basically:

1700x oc'ed to 3.9ghz + 2933 RAM <= 1700x at stock + 3466 RAM

1700x oc'ed to 3.9ghz + 3466 RAM is quite fast. Still 10-20% slower than the 7700K at stock speeds. Which I think is totally expected for gaming.

Any recent Coffee Lake review that was not using fast RAM for the Ryzens is doing those chips a huge disservice. Which is probably what those sites are incentivized to do anyhow.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 6, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

I got some water cooling in the past two weeks but it seems like I have a good launch bin, 1707. AMD :swoon:

https://valid.x86.fr/9zvgxn 3.925 @ 1.31
https://valid.x86.fr/bfysv0 3.7 @ 1.2

Does seem you did. Does it pass Prime95? At 3.8 mine will go for 4-5 hours then fail on a single core.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Otakufag posted:

What are the chances that Ryzen 2 will get substantially better with more IPC, higher clock speeds, etc and will make i5 8400 early purchasers regret their decision?

i5-8400 is still sparsely available, and no cheap motherboards are available.

Meanwhile Newegg has a 1600x + Asrock X370 combo for like $250 after rebate right now. You might be able to do even better if you're near a Microcenter. I could see this becoming the new "normal" price for this kit in less than a month, with specials bringing it closer to $200 total for the kit.

By the time cheap boards are available for the 8400, we'll be close to the Zen refresh. Should be interesting!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Seamonster posted:

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen so don't think you can just plonk down a couple of bills and call it done. Still better than Intel pricing on mobo+cpu.

Eh. The cheapest dogshit 2133mhz DDR4 that will work fine probably with no issues on Intel boards is $130 for 16gb. 3200mhz RAM that will work fine on Ryzen at 3000 or 3200 depending on the board is $160 for name-brand good RAM.

Also, the new Intel chips perform substantially better with fast DDR4:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

But do you want to know? It is schrodinger's cat.

Run it, find out your chip has errata, RMA it, and maybe get back a 1600 cum 1700?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's a ploy to get Intel to plow serious money into high-core-count chips while AMD takes its existing chips and improves IPC on them by 20%.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

http://vmpsoft.com/
Pretty much:

It can do this over and over:

"You asked me to design a next-generation piracy countermeasure. It's not my fault it requires next-generation hardware to work!" - an engineer

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

The only ethically made computer is an abacus made from repurposed drift wood.

Depends. What country is that wood from? I wouldn't want any blood wood.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

I'm on the bus so I can't check out the video in the article, but:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/amds-new-ryzen-7-2800x-teased-12c-24t-up-5-1ghz/index.html

That can't be right

The core counts are possible. The frequencies sound very, very optimistic.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Intel scraps 10nm process because it’s no good at mining crypto.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Klyith posted:

people with AMD processors can disable PSP/TPM in the bios

Not if their motherboard manufacturer doesn’t support it.....MSI.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I actually really like my MSI B350M board. Yeah, they haven’t updated it but nothing is broken and needs to be updated. I’d like a future BIOS update to update the AGESA code once it gets more stable, and definitely an update to disable the AMD PSP. Aside from those two complaints, the board itself works great.

Edit: wait, it does have 1 big problem: if you overclock with CoolNQuiet enabled it locks the processor to a lower than expected frequency. A lot of people have reported this bug to MSI and they haven’t done poo poo about it yet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I don't understand the "MSI doesn't update" thing. I have an MSI B350 and I've been getting updates consistently over the last 12 months. Do other companies pump out updates? I never remember updating my old ASRock Z77 more than twice, but that was Intel hardware so maybe that's not fair to compare it to a newer and less established Ryzen platform.

Yeah, other companies do update more frequently. Asus has pushed probably 5 BIOS updates since September/October, which is the last time 90% of MSI's AM4 boards got updated.

Edit: Holy poo poo, MSI heard us talking about them. They released BIOS updates for most of their AM4 boards today. People on the AMD reddit board are reporting much better memory overclocking capability compared to last BIOSes, the ability to disable the PSP, and also they fixed the CoolNQuiet bug I mentioned up a few posts. MSI delivers!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 6, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Or, don’t support the Intel hegemony and buy the processor from the company that made Intel poo poo its pants and play it’s hand 18 months earlier than they wanted to play it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Khorne posted:

"Wow I dropped $1200 on this system and my fps is... identical" - me buying an AMD system in 2018 to replace my 2012 intel system.

$1200 on a system, of which $600 is the video card and $300 is the RAM. Processor is a $150 part that performs as well as the top of the line Intel processor from 2016, which performs identically to their top of the line processor from 2012. Right?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Running 3200 on a B350 motherboard is tough as it is. Either buy X470 or wait for B450. Old first gen Ryzen motherboards are over.

I have a low-mid tier MSI motherboard that runs my B-die at 3333 with tight timings. Confirmed stable with 24 hours of Prime and a couple full passes of MemTest.

I’m merely saying that it’s not a pipe dream to overclock some on crappier boards.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It’s a hacked EBay account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

1950x is down to $450 on Amazon and Newegg.

RAM prices are the lowest they’ve been in a while also. Who is going to take the plunge?