Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wouldn't this be sort of related to the Navi technology they are working on on the GPU side?

Yup, AMD is all-in on Infinity Fabric. Their plan for Navi to do the same thing on the GPU side that they're doing on the CPU side right now. If they can manage to glue together several under-volted Polaris/Vega cores and have them function as a single unified GPU I think they'll be very successful.

I'm interested to see what the die layout looks like for the 16 core Threadripper part. They showed off the 32 core layout and it's 4 8-core modules arranged in a square. I'm wondering if the 16 core will be; 2 modules on one side of the chip? diagonal? centered? Or (worst case) will it be some sort of conglomeration of various combinations of modules with some of their cores disabled.

I really can't imagine them doing that last one; but it's AMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

Threadripper is only quad instead of octo channel, so only a certain set of pins are hooked up to the DIMM slots. I'd figure that they can maybe bin things in such a way that a die has no function cores but a working memory controller, allowing the reuse of other dies that aren't hooked up to memory. Of course, if that'd be the case, that'd suck, because it there might be speed variances between the same model of TR. I hope they don't do the jokerster option and run memory duties on all dies and each does a single channel.

The quad vs octo channel memory between Threadripper and Epyc is a direct result there being half as many active dies on the chip. Each Ryzen die has 2 memory controllers resulting in dual channel memory access. If you have 2 active dies on a chip (Threadripper) each die can access two banks of memory simultaneously giving it 'Quad-Channel' memory access. Doubled again for Epyc to get 'Octo-Channel' memory access. A single core can't actually access more than two banks of ram at a time.

Theoretically if there was some way to enable the 2 other dies on a Threadripper chip it would also enable 'Octo-Channel' memory.

What would be really funny would be if disabling the dies was actually a function of the X399 platfrom. You put a Threadripper chip in an Epyc board and suddenly it starts showing as a 4 die part and you put an Epyc in a X399 board and half of its dies suddenly disappear.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

code:
Samsung 960Pro M2 SSD

You could save a little money by getting the EVO instead of the pro. You'll never notice the difference between the two unless you run SSD benchmarks for a living.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
Imagine the darkest timeline where AMD just says gently caress It and sells their GPU division to Intel and CPU division to Nvidia.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

PCIe 4 would need a new socket and pinout most likely, as the voodoo they do to get the signal to not poo poo out over 10 inches of busy and noisy motherboard isn't easy or cheap.

They might do something wierd like first slot 4.0 rest are 3.0 to make it easier, but thats borderline RF engineering, and fuckkkkk that noise.

They won't need a new socket/pinout for PCIe 4 (or 5); the layout is exactly the same as 3 (and 2 and 1). They just keep increasing the bandwidth each gen while keeping everything else the same. This way they can keep all the hardware backwards/forwards compatible.

The AM4 socket supports 24 lanes of PCIe; 4 of these lanes are reserved for the chipset (X470/B450/etc) and is what's used for all the I/O the chipsest handles (SATA,NIC,Extra PCIe lanes/etc). It's up to the board manufacturer how the other 20 lanes are used; generally they use 4 for an NVME connector and a pair of PCIex16 connectors that can do x16 or x8x8.

When an add-in-board is plugged into one of these PCIe sockets the CPU and AIB auto-negotiate the fastest PCIe link speed they can both handle. Generally they both support PCIe3 so that's what's used but if you put in an older PCIe2 only card then the link speed will auto-negotiate down to that level and everything will 'just work'.

It's no different with PCIe4; the CPUs will start supporting 4 as their highest link speed and will try to use that initially but auto-negotiate down to 3 if that's the fastest that the AIB supports.

Theoretically if the PCIe traces between an x16 slot and the CPU on a current AM4 board are overbuilt enough to handle the increased bandwidth that PCIe4 brings then that board would start supporting PCIe4 when you dropped in a new CPU and AIB that both supported it. Now there's tons of business/engineering reasons why this won't happen; but it's theoretically possible.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the caps on that card aren't even hooked up to anything.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

ted hitler hunter posted:

Will the Ryzen 4000 CPUs be available for purchase before Cyberpunk is released in mid September?

I wouldn't expect them to be. Best case scenario they might be 'released' by then but at quantities so low that unless you have a bot setup to buy one online or camp out at a Microcenter you probably won't be able to buy one.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Welp guess I'll see if this 5900x preorder actually comes through.

I'm still going to get up early and try Newegg/Best Buy/Amazon, cause I don't trust them.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
Newegg only has the 5900x available in bundles. Sucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Krailor posted:

Newegg only has the 5900x available in bundles. Sucky.

And already sold out.